Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

I simply love Bob's Red mill products, and love Amazon for selling them for quite a bit less than Whole Paycheck. I've been enjoying a lot of things from them recently, including Kamut Breakfast Cereal and a really delicious soup mix. Their Buckwheat Pancake mix is another example of a healthy, tasty, and reasonably priced item from Bob's Red Mill. I got a taste for Buckwheat pancakes as a kid (My mom used to make them on cold mornings in January), but stopped eating them as an adult. My wife LOVES pancakes, and while I enjoy them too, I find the regular kind not keep me filled up, nor are they particularly healthy. I remembered that I used to really like buckwheat pancakes, and decided to hunt some up. I found these, and have been enjoying them ever since.

The mix is easy to prepare, but this isn't a 'complete' mix and does require an egg and some oil in addition to cold water. As an alternative you can use milk, which gives the pancakes a slightly richer flavor. Milk or water, either way they're tasty! Buckwheat is a wholegrain, meaning these fill you up and keep you filled much longer than traditional pancakes which are full of sugar and cheap carbs. I can eat probably a dozen regular pancakes. I can only manage to put away 5-6 of these guys!

A few recommendations on preparation:

1) Mix the pancake batter and then let it sit 30 minutes or even an hour in your refrigerator. It makes the pancakes lighter and fluffier.

2) Go for thinner batter rather than thick. It makes the pancakes easier to cook, and gives you a tastier pancake as a result.

3) Cook on medium heat, not high. Because the batter is dark to begin with, it is harder to tell when your pancakes are done without overcooking them. Use less heat to help you get them cooked perfectly.

4) You can easily mix this batter with a regular pancake mix to make 'hybrid' cakes if you find these are a bit too thick for your taste. I've gone that route a few times for my wife since she likes her pancakes less dense than these.

5) Get yourself some real maple syrup! Nothing goes as well with Buckwheat pancakes than real maple syrup! That's how the American pioneers ate them, and I love feeling like I'm participating in an American tradition when I make these for my family.

6) Eat them for dinner! Pancakes and eggs for dinner is amazing.

You can't go wrong with these pancakes. Buy them. Cook them. Eat them. Repeat!
on June 26, 2011
BOB'S VS. BISQUICK:
I went to Bob's Buckwheat Pancake Mix (have now gone through two 4-packs!) from using Bisquick, mainly to get away from the refined flour and get some better, whole grain nutrition. I'm happy I did, and wouldn't go back; it's my body I'm feeding. The negative is, and some others have noted it here, is that this mix doesn't produce particularly light, fluffy pancakes. They're good, but not super light like Bisquick did. Maybe if you beat and fold in egg whites (but I don't eat eggs). That's not to say they don't rise, or they aren't good, and great tasting.

BOB'S VS MADE FROM SCRATCH
No comparison. I bought organic bulk buckwheat flour (which you can get pretty inexpensive in a 25lb bag if you're a nut) from Amazon; search for "Great River Organic Milling." I then made my own egg-less, butter-less, milk-less version from something I found on the web:

3/4c Buckwheat flour
3/4c Whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda (I think you could switch this to Baking Powder, but this came from the recepie)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp (that's tablespoon) Agave Nectar (you can totally skip this; it's a low glycemic index sweetener)
2 tbsp olive oil (you could use melted coconut oil if you're worried about the heat on the olive oil). I wouldn't skip the oil though; buckwheat can be a bit sticky on the pan, even a no-stick.
water to consistency (I'm assuming you've made pancakes before; I never measure my water)
*Cook IMMEDIATELY after adding the water. Do not let it sit around for 20 min.
*Cook on lightly oiled no-stick pan; I use cast iron and it's great, but you do need a little oil as Buckwheat is a bit sticky.

Good lord, they were ridiculously light and fluffy. Amazingly so. Blew Bob's out of the water. I haven't tried 100% buckwheat flour yet, but after doing some more reading, it appears that would work fine as well.

I'm not sure why Bob's mix produces pancakes that are so heavy in comparison, because it's basically the same ingredients. Perhaps it's something about a fresh mix. Maybe the baking powder/soda goes flat???? I have no idea, but I'm doing all mine from scratch from now on. No question about it.

SUMMARY:
If you really want to just open a bag and use it, I think Bob's is great stuff, and good for you. If you want super fluffy pancakes, make your own; they're much better, and that way you can also go all-Buckwheat.
on March 1, 2009
I remember Buckwheat Pancakes from years ago. The thought of these heavy, rich tasting pancakes brings a sigh to my lips. My Mom useed to cook these when I was a kid, and I always loved them...now, I fixed them for my Grandson, and he feels the same...3 pancakes, 2 eggs, and lots of butter and real Homemade Hot Sugar and vanalla suyrp...OMG...soooo good. layer a pancake, then egg, then pancake, then another egg, finished by another pancake to make the Family Stacker! I found this brand a few years back, and it is the real thing...easy to make, healthy, and Lord knows...eat 3 of these and you will NOT be hungry in a couple hours! They Stick with you. Is a common breakfast item from long ago...settlers and farmers...eat these and you could plow a field, and have more energy to make it till lunch! Be Well, and Blessings upon all...
on January 28, 2012
These buckwheat pancakes come out great and you don't need to feel guilty about eating something with an ingredients list that is frighteningly long. Like someone else mentioned, these pancakes are best served with maple syrup, not aunt jemima high fructose corn syrup. Unfortunately, I haven't tried the mix in waffle form. Throw in Bananas or chocolate chips or walnuts etc for a twist!

Here's the recipe on the back of the package (I've bought three packages in the past couple months and just recently put one and a half into a container for better storage (threw out the package)and looked all over the internet for it!):
Pancake Mix:

2 eggs
2 tsp oil
3/4 cup cold milk
on June 30, 2013
I am now a Senior and remember Buckwheat pancakes from my past! Decided to try this brand and it was not like the kind we used to have as kids. Back in the day the buckwheat pancakes were darker and had a taste of their own. This was eatable and tasted fine but not the taste I was hoping for. My "Blast from the Past" left me a little wanting. If you have never tasted buckwheat before it might take a little getting used to.
on June 23, 2015
by the way, i love wheat pancakes but it was hard to get use to the taste of these buckwheat pancakes. the recipe to make them are simple but the taste of the pancakes were just o.k. maybe i'm just not use to eating buckwheat.
on December 7, 2014
We had these pancakes with hot sausage this morning for breakfast. They were just delicious.
We have been eating these for about 30 years. Lately we're having difficulty locating any brands
we usually purchased in our local supermarkets. So we turned to the web. We were not
disappointed.
on June 24, 2016
You can't find Buckwheat flour in the groceries, at least where I live. This online purchase was well worth it. I can now enjoy the BEST Buckwheat pancakes and waffles and not have to worry about running out anytime soon.
on December 11, 2012
I really love this buckwheat pancake mix, you can feel the grains. It is the only one I will buy from now. The price is right, it could be a few cents less, but a four pack will last me at least six to eight months maybe more. I bought Hodgson Mill too when I ran out of Red Mill and it tates like wheat, not buckwheat. Bob's Red Mill is the way to go, I hope this feedback help you to chose a good product.
on April 1, 2013
i love Japanese buckwheat angel hair noodle so I thought i'd give this a try.

big hit!

it is easy to mix. one cup mix makes about 6 4" pancakes. the milk can be substitued with almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, powder milk...any liquid (yeah coffee and hot chocolate, too). Oil i have tried coconut butter, olive oil, cooking oil, bacon fat. if you follow instruction on the package to a T the mix can be a bit thick so i added more liquid to water it a bit for easier pouring.

i have also added black saseme, crushed walnut, chopped dried berries, blackened meshed banana, raisins, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, brown sugar, vanilla extract, bacon bits, chopped ham...(not all at the same time) and yielded great results, be it sweet or savory.

they can be premade and kept for days in room temp after. I'd do a batch on Sunday and take 2 every day to work as breakfast. i take them to hikes as energy food. they fill you up because buckwheat is dense and calorie is better. i will never eat another regular pancake ever again.