Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Size: Pack of 4|Change

VINE VOICEon February 16, 2012
This is a really nutritious hot cereal that everyone in my family will eat. It's simple to prepare. I make it in the slow cooker overnight. I measure in the cereal, pinch of salt, and pour in boiling water, stir, and put the crock pot on the WARM setting, put on the lid, and go to bed!

Next morning, hot cereal. We serve it with milk and real maple syrup. Not even the picky eaters turn up their noses for this breakfast.

Amazon's prices for Bob's Red Mill products are the best I've found. I store my extra bags in the freezer. This cereal is also great added to homemade bread.
A friend who has recovered from a stroke and prostate cancer is trying to eat really healthy food. He told us about Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain Rolled Whole Grain Hot Cereal, Plus Flaxseed. We found some in a local store -- 16 ounces for $2.09!

Following the directions on the package, I cooked a batch of it tonight. What a delicious and filling meal! The package instructions recommend serving it with milk and honey. It also tastes good with other things, such as cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins, toasted almonds, and bananas. It tastes good plain, and it does not require large amounts of butter or sugar to taste good.

The ingredients are whole grain oats, wheat, rye, barley, triticale, and flaxseed. quoted from the side of the bag: Scientific evidence suggests that eating whole grains reduces the risks of some cancers, especially gastrointestinal cancers. Antioxidants contained in whole grains may work with fiber and other compounds to reduce your overall risk of heart disease.

A few more bits of information: There's a neat cookie recipe on the package. Since it is all natural, it keeps best in the refrigerator or the freezer. A serving made from 1/3 cup dry cereal has 120 calories and 5 grams fiber.

We're glad our friend told us about this cereal, and we highly recommend it.

I hope this review was helpful.
on March 3, 2013
This has become my favorite cereal. I know Bob's Red Mill's products are great and find this cereal to live up to their good reputation. It has a wonderful flavor and needs no sweetner. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a healthier choice in breakfast (supper) cereals and doesnt mind waiting a few minutes for it to cook.
on November 25, 2012
Well, I am a hot cereal almost every day kind of guy and I was getting a bit tired of plain ol' oatmeal. My wife found this on amazon and we tried it and I LOVE it. Takes a bit longer to make, but the variety of grains and the texture differences really make this a great breakfast.
on February 12, 2015
This took a bit of getting used to, and it took a little modification to the basic cooking method, but I love Bob's 5-grain cereal now. I cooked this per the instructions, simmered for 15 minutes. What resulted was a soggy cereal. I added a bit of sugar and milk but it was a bit non-appetizing and the milk was diluted in the copious liquid that remained from the cooking, which doesn't form a creamy consistency like cream of wheat or grits, but is more watery. In spite of this, ate two servings up but felt like a hero for doing so. The second attempt was a bit better, I reduced the water from 400 grams to 360 grams (per 70 grams of dry cereal = two servings) and the cooking time from 15 minutes to 12. It was just as soggy, but less watery of, course. I ate it all with no added milk or sugar and really felt heroic about doing so. The third and most recent time I cooked this, I reduced the water a bit less to 350 grams and bumped up the cereal weight to 72 grams. This time, I simmered the cereal uncovered (I covered it the first two times, per the instructions) and reduced the cooking time to 7.5 minutes. The resulting cereal had very little excess water and was "al dente" in texture. The flavor was more concentrated, nuttier, less "washed out" and the texture was amazing, sort of a lumpy mass with with plenty of "al dente" body to it. I added two teaspoons of sugar, and really, really enjoyed the flavor and the texture of it this time instead of feeling like a kid being punished in a Dickens novel. Recommend highly!
on October 15, 2013
Great snack for my kids before bed, great for breakfast, great for cooking. Fast delivery, I cannot stress enough how I love getting things delivered and my shopping trips require less and less. Generally I shop the perimeter for fruits/veggies/dairy.
on April 13, 2013
I have cut processed foods from my life and have lost 27 lbs in 2 1/2 months! I started by buying this oatmeal and combining it with lowfat light yogurt for breakfast. Nice fiber content and filling as well as very tasty! Would highly recommend!
on September 9, 2012
This cereal is so yummy,It is even good right from the package.I do use milk to make mine,not water. The shipping was really fast.I also used this in a baked quinoa, oatmeal cereal recipe and it worked out perfect!
on October 8, 2013
I love this cereal as a full textured, full-bodied oatmeal. Phenominal topped with peaches, honey and half & half. But the best secret is that this will take you peach cobbler, apple/rhubarb crisp over the top. I haven't tried it for oatmeal choc. chip cookies, but anticipate it will blow the socks off Quaker Old Fashioned.

Purchasing by the 4 pack is hands down the most economical. Love Bob and his Red Mill!
on November 5, 2013
This cereal is wonderful. I usually prefer steel-cut oats. I'm not a fan of old fashioned rolled oats, as I find them to be far too slimy. However, this doesn't get slimy. It cooks up wonderfully chewy with a great tooth-feel and no slime at all. Try replacing some of the water with applesauce and add a touch of cinnamon. Yum!