Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Size: Pack of 4Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 13, 2010
I saw this in a specialty market and was so impressed by the wide ribbons of white coconut that I disregarded the gazillion dollars they charged and bought a bag. At the Bob's Red Mill website, I investigated recommended recipes and found an enticing cookie recipe, then assembled the ingredients and prepared a batch of wholesome, chewy, flavorfully delicious cookies which we've been enjoying for a few days. I'd used home dried cherries and grapes (raisins) instead of the cranberries listed in the recipe, but otherwise followed it as written online and on the Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain Cereal bag. The coconut was so impressive that I immediately checked to see the Amazon price in preparation for buying more and after only a week, they now have it in stock at a much better price than the nearly five I paid for my first bag. The 12 ounce bag probably contains 3 hefty cups of coconut as I split it with my daughter and nibbled some before measuring it for review. She made fresh blueberry coconut ice cream with coconut milk and said this coconut was especially nice because the texture was more interesting than smaller shreds which she'd used in the past. Nothing is added to the Bob's Red Mill Flaked Coconut Unsweetened and that's just what I want! Toasted, it's even better when added to fruit and yogurt. I have it in my Amazon cart ready to order!
22 comments71 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2010
I love this coconut...The flakes are thick and fresh, which is very important. I use this for baking my special breakfast bread and bars.
0Comment33 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 10, 2013
I bought this coconut to make coconut mana (many people call it coconut butter). It's getting very expensive to purchase it ready made, so I bought an inexpensive food processor from amazon (Hamilton Beach 70450 8-Cup Bowl Food Processor - White). I put one bag in the processor and let it run for about 12 minutes and it creates creamy smooth coconut mana/butter. The best part is, it's freshly made so I don't have to spend 1/2 hour stirring it up. It doesn't separate,like the ready made products do before you receive them. Plus, it tastes delicious.

After making 3 batches of it, the food processor had basically paid for itself compared to the price of 3 jars of coconut mana or coconut butter.. At the price Amazon sells this coconut, it costs under $3 a jar, compared to the going rate of $9.75 for a jar of mana and $13.30 for a jar of butter...
0Comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2011
I love the BIG flakes of this coconut. It is perfect in homemade granola or for a snack for children.
on February 26, 2012
I was looking for coconut to make coconut milk, but all I could find was either completely desiccated or loaded with sugar. This flaked coconut is so good, not dried, not sugared, and easy to use. It makes wonderfully flavored coconut milk in the blender, and it toasts up beautifully for a snack. I now have it on subscription.
44 comments23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2011
nothing added and nothing taken away , from what i can see its just nice tasty convenient sliced up coconut. sure beats buying fresh coconut and having to get a hacksaw to cut it up.
on April 24, 2014
I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a similar product at my local grocery stores and could not find it. This product is great! The flakes have a large surface area and are thinly sliced. This is not that weird wet sweetened shredded crap.
on April 28, 2011
This coconut is absolutely wonderful in the homemade granola that I make twice a month. It really gives it slight sweetness and the texture is GREAT.
on December 29, 2013
Love the unsweetened flakes and it is hard to find this product locally.
Is especially good on oatmeal or in trail mix.
For best flavor, refrigerate after opening (if you don't, it gets too dry).
on January 10, 2014
This product was everything I wanted in un-sweet coconut. Fresh. Each Flake was uniform ( only a few broken pieces), Packaging was very well done. The scent , you could tell the coconut was fresh. Taste was excellent. I will buy this product from Bobs Red Mill again, and will try other products. I was 100 % pleased with my coconut and service.