5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cornbead
Published on December 7, 2008 by Fla gal

2.0 out of 5 stars The recipe clearly has way too little liquid
Published on January 7, 2010 by Julie S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cornbead, December 7, 2008
This review is from: Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix, 20-Ounce Units (Pack of 4) (Grocery)
I had been trying to make GF cornbread from scratch with limited success. Now I don't have to! Tried this for the first time and it is excellent. Only had to use 1/3 of the bag for 6 muffins so, at $2.50 per bag, it's not at all expensive. Now I can make casaroles with cornbread topping, etc. I also am not fond of the Bob's mixes with the bean flour (taste really funny and beany) but this one is a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personalized, it's amazing..., January 25, 2011
Chaos Herder (Western Nebraska) - See all my reviews
Cornbread is something that people think they're not fond of until they have a really, really good one. I made a really, really good cornbread... and then figured out I couldn't eat it.

When I went about preparing this, I modified it to be more similar to my own... and I have to admit it is pretty fantastic. My teenage "real-food" kids ate more of it than I did... They love the texture.

My cornbread is on the moist and sweet side. It can all be done in a mixing bowl and greased pan of course, but I like a rustic cornbread in a cast iron skillet, and the a warm skillet helps to shorten the baking time. This is how I prepared it:

Preheat oven to 375.
Melt a stick of butter in a cast-iron skillet on low- just until melted and turn it off.
The next steps move quickly to keep the pan warm but prevent the pan from cooking the ingredients before you get them incorporated... Not as hard as it sounds. Just have it all ready to go. =)

sprinkle 1/2tsp baking soda over 1-1/2 cups buttermilk and do not mix

Whisk into the pan in this order:
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each

At this point, using the rule of thirds, add a third of the bag of mix, then whisk the soda into the buttermilk and add a third, then another third of the mix, the buttermilk, mixing well after each until all is added and well blended and consistent in texture. I usually scrape the mix off the sides of the pan back into the center for better visual appearance... and then place on the center rack in the oven.

Bake until the top is brown...not just golden... Be brave. =) It took about 40 minutes. If you don't bake it until it's medium brown, too much moisture will remain, and it will be more like a cornbread pudding... which is okay... Just tell them you meant to do that. =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cornbread! Use extra butter and add some brown sugar., July 2, 2011
Laura Jane (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
The first time I tried this mix, I prepared it exactly according to the directions on the package. The result was a gritty, dry cornbread with a slightly bitter taste. Not great.

I decided to give it another go recently. This time I used a whole stick of organic pasture butter, added 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a little extra salt. These tweaks made a HUGE difference! The cornbread turned out rich, moist, and slightly sweet -- more of a traditional southern cornbread with zero bitterness.

Now that I've figured out how to make it work, I'm thrilled with this mix and will use it again!

2.0 out of 5 stars The recipe clearly has way too little liquid, January 7, 2010
I was excited to try the pre-made cornbread mix. However, when I made it using the recipe on the back of the packaging, there seemed to be WAY too little liquid. I could barely get them into the muffin pan, and then they just held their shape (didn't spread into the pan). It seemed to have a decent taste, aside from being dry. So I tried it again using a different recipe, and substituting the mix for the flour in the other recipe. That didn't work perfectly either. I have had much better results just doing it with a recipe and cornmeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mix, July 9, 2007
CAKE (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
I just got this last week, and it was a hit. Everyone in my family, including those who aren't eating gf, loved this cornbread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty great, March 24, 2013
Just tried this for the first time today. I was surprised by a few of the poor reviews that made comments such as "People who like this product have obviously never had good cornbread", or "I'll stick with Jiffy"...
If you are able to eat Jiffy, then go make yourself some Jiffy; I'm not sure why you'd be eating this stuff anyway. And although I enjoyed this mix very much, I have had "real" cornbread in the past. Many times. But now we're gluten free...so here we are. This mix was great - quick and easy, though it does produce a thick batter if you follow the package directions. It is not dry and crumbly as others have stated, but you need to keep an eye on the oven. I don't think Bob's Red Mill is responsible if you burn your own corn bread.
If you're new to gluten free eating, my best piece of advice is to not go into it thinking that you're going to find gluten free versions of breads and such that taste exactly like the "real" stuff that you remember. Nobody likes a complainer, and it's going to be a long life if you keep that up. I still like to try to come up with my own recipes when I have time, but usually I don't, so I've been pretty happy with the Bob's Red Mill line. Happy eating! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to believe it's Gluten-free!!, November 5, 2008
SueKam (NJ, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought one bag of this at a local health food store and I LOVE IT!! It's so EASY to make, which is such a bonus for Gluten-free baking. It is incredibly moist and has a spongy texture (although some may not like that as it is a bit different than a traditional cornbread taste....) It's good Gluten-free cornbread. There's no other way to describe it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buttermilk and Honey Cornbread, October 20, 2010
Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread mix is excellent. The texture is soft, slightly moist and just the right amount of "dense" as cornbread should be . . . I substitute buttermilk for milk, grapeseed oil for the oil/butter and then I add 1 tsp. of vanilla and a 1/4 cup of honey. It comes out perfect every time. Visiting "gluten-eating" family has not been able to tell this is a gluten-free baked item. We are a household of three and two of us recently discovered we had Celiac disease so, for us, gluten-free is not a choice, it is a must. It is good to know most of our loved "gluten" containing items are available in a gluten-free form.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make this as good as GF Pantry, November 25, 2010
I have celiac disease and have tried most of the GF mixes around. Bob's Red Mill's GF Cornbread is cheap and easy to find in most grocers. However, I find much to be desired when it comes to the flavor and texture of this product. Someone mentioned it earlier - there is NOT enough liquid. Cornbread should be moist, and if you ever try the mix by Gluten Free Pantry it is very much so. Also, this cornbread has a gritty and sour flavor. Not my choice. Finally, when you bake them into muffins, they tend to get rock hard on the outside while still gooey on the inside.

The Gluten Free Pantry Cornbread Mix is hard to find, so I have adapted this mix to taste similar. Instead of 1.5 cups of milk, put in 2 cups of buttermilk (or nearly 2 cups of regular milk with a tablespoon of vinegar). Add one more tablespoon of butter and a little sugar or splenda.

People with celiac disease should NOT have to suffer poor quality products. We tend to forget what those taste like. Don't settle!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for wheat free, March 28, 2007
My grand daughter cannot have wheat so we have been looking for substitutes and this has been a good addition - tastes good to everyone and texture is good for gluten free product. The flavor is nice. Seal to slow down dry out. I find all of his products consistent although I do not care for the taste of ones with garbanza beans

Rate and Discover Movies