5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best AND the easiest!
This mix saved my life. After being diagnosed with celiac disease, I tried all the "great" gluten-free bread machine recipes I could find (I am awful at baking bread by hand). They were all uniformly and unequivocally TERRIBLE. They were dense, didn't rise properly, caved in at the top or sides, etc etc etc. They also all tasted very gluten-free.

This mix,...
Published on January 11, 2007 by Sarah Bell

2.0 out of 5 stars Better options available
I love many BRM GF products, but this is not one of them. GF baking is tricky stuff and if you have only tried rice/starch blend mixes, you'll probably love this because it does rise well, isn't gritty like rice mixes, doesn't get "hard" at room temp like rice, and is much spongier.

Published on October 27, 2008 by GF in IL

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best AND the easiest!, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix, 16-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4) (Grocery)

This mix, though is wonderful. It rises, sticks together very well for a fluffy gluten-free bread (it still has the tendancy to fall apart if not toasted), makes wonderful croutons and stuffing, browns properly and only occasionally caves in a little bit.

Things I have learned with this mix that help it a great deal:

1. Let the loaf sit in the bread machine for at least 20 minutes after it stops baking. (I have the standard Oster bread machine that was popular when the bread machine rose to popularity.)

2. Make it with rice milk. To me, cow's milk and almond milk taste funny with this recipe.

3. Let it cool for a good long while, it is very moist and will fall apart if you try to slice it immediately.

I hope you enjoy this bread as much as I do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with modifications, February 1, 2010
I have made this bread about 10 times so far. I like it well enough, however, I did have some trouble with it at first. It was terribly dry the first couple of times I made it and did not rise all that well on several occassions.

I found out that using almond milk was what was causing the rising issue. It appears that the little yeast devils really prefer more sugar. I was out of almond milk and used skim milk instead and the bread rose twice the size and had a much better texture. I will also be trying the almond with a tsp of sugar to see if that alleviates the problem but since I tolerate dairy I may just stick with the skim milk.

I use four whole eggs rather than the one whole plus egg whites called for in order to give the bread more moisture and a less crumbly consistency. I whip the heck outta those eggs too. I stick them in by big mixer and let em go for a good 5 minutes. The eggs are whipped up to a pale yellow, light creamy texture.

I heat my milk and let the little yeast devils multiply while the eggs are whipping away. Sometimes I let them multiply for 5-10 minutes to really give them a chance to get going.

I also use double the oil called for on the package. The loaf was so dry and crumbly the first few times I made it that it was almost inedible and could not be cut without crumbling all over the place before I did this. HUGE difference in texture and moisture now! I was only able to grill it with butter before so while this adds fat it really is better all the way around for me.

I use a very long loaf pan to make this as well. It measures 5 inches by 15 inches. It gives a nice long loaf and will fill the pan with a lighter loaf than what you get from a regular loaf pan so long as you leave it to rise a few hours. It also slices great about 20 minutes out of the oven into a good 30-35 slices with this kind of pan.

I bag the slices flat and stick them in the fridge until I need them. If you are not going to use all of the bread up within a week, at best, you will want to do the same because it does mold pretty quickly otherwise (5 days on the counter one time).

I know there are other mixes out there but they all seem to use rice or corn flours which I can not tolerate so this one works well for me with the modifications above.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'd never guess it wasn't wheat bread, August 11, 2006
I've just made my first loaf. This bread has great flavor and texture: nice and spongy, not grainy like rice flour breads. It rose very nicely and didn't fall much during cooling, so you get normal-looking slices for sandwiches. I look forward to adding herbs and seeds to the next loaf. After you grease your loaf pan (if you use the oven method), add a sprinkling of rice flour to bottom and sides of pan. I've found that greasing the pan isn't enough to keep the loaf from sticking, and what a shame to lose part of loaf taking it out of the pan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better options available, October 27, 2008
GF in IL (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews

Unfortunately, there is still more to want and like in GF bread. First, there is so much bean flour that it's noticeable in the taste. Seems that some people like this (or don't notice) and others truly detest it. We're in the detest category.

Second, there is actually too much rise in this unless you put it in the oven after a very short rise. I was making dinner and was about ten minutes late putting it in. It rose higher than you would think possible, but then collapsed in the middle - not the top, but think of someone sucking in air in their mouth and making that hollowed cheek look. That makes for a weird shape!!!!

Usually, this oddly shaped bread only happens when you either add too much water or when you use a lot of bean flour. This bread could be so much better with less bean and more sorghum, millet, Montina, amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, or almond meal. Probably, with a combination of the above, it would be fabulous.

I knew there was this much bean flour when I bought it. I usually make my own and have some delicious recipes. I try mixes for two reasons: to see if I'm missing anything and to support the companies that go out of their way to make GF products.

I've answered my curiosity...I am not missing anything and will not be buying this again. While too sweet, Pamela's is much better choice if you do not like the beany taste and the odd shape.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bread you can actually enjoy!, September 7, 2009
JulieBlueSky (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This bread mix really is "homemade wonderful"!!

After so many disappointing frozen loaves of gluten free bread, I decided to try to make some at home. I took a chance on this product and I am so glad I did.

It doesn't seem like it will work out as you are mixing up ~ it seems like batter bread rather than a traditional yeast bread. Just follow the directions on the package and you won't be let down. Remember to remove the loaf from the pan as soon as it is done or else the bottom of the loaf will get soggy. (cool it on a rack)

I found out that this bread doesn't store well for me. It gets stale/moldy very quickly (due to the fact there are no preservatives). I slice up the whole cooled loaf and freeze it, defrosting slices as I need them. Then you can enjoy the whole thing without waste.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not bread, January 27, 2012
FrankG (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
I have made my share of GF bread mixes - and while most share the "cake-like" texture of this mix, they at least don't taste like bean-cake. This mix has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It has the cake-like texture of most GF breads, is almost as sweet as Pamela's bread mix, and tastes like dried, crushed beans.

I have made this in the oven and in a Zojirushi Virtuoso, and the result was nearly identical both times. I'm not sure what one could call it, but it is NOT bread.

The closest I have come to finding "real" bread in a ready made mix is King Arthur's GF bread mix. Pamela's is a tolerable second, and could rival King Arthur's if it just weren't so incredibly over-sugared. I generally like Bob's products, this however is just terrible.

Sidenote: I wish the manufacturer's of these GF mixes would take the time (and $$$) to send a small "research" team to Freiburg, Germany. Once there, visit any family-owned bakery and closely examine all the products therein. Take pictures, notes, samples - whatever it takes. Then make a day trip over the French border into the Alsace region and do the same there for Baguette. And finally make a last excursion to Basel, Switzerland and repeat the above procedures.

Document your findings, bring them back home, work on your recipes, and then sell us mixes that produce proper bread (it IS possible, even without wheat and rye). That'd be worth five or six Dollars a box/bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, October 16, 2006
My husband decided that he wanted to make me a loaf of "freshly baked" bread. But, neither my daughter or I can have gluten. So, he found this mix and made it. It worked extremely well in our bread machine. It rose nicely. And, baked up perfectly.

It had a very nice spongy texture. And, it made great sandwiches. For the person on a gluten free diet who wants homemade bread, you can't beat this mix!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob's Red Mill GF Bread, January 2, 2012
I just baked a fresh loaf of this tasty gluten free bread. I baked it in the oven and it rose beautifully and is the size of a normal loaf of bread from a 9" x 5" loaf pan. It has a very spongy , moist texture that does not crumble like alot of other gluten free breads. It is wonderful for sandwiches without even toasting it like you have to for other gluten free breads to even taste good. Tip: I used an non-stick baking spray like PAM and the bread just popped right out of the pan.
Try it...you will like it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful bread, May 14, 2007
lana (battle lake, MN) - See all my reviews
This truly is a wonderful gluten-free bread mix. I have tried many mixes and attempted lots of recipes and this is the best gluten-free bread I have made. My entire family likes it! It's really moist and doesn't crumble like so many other gf breads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful is very close, April 22, 2009
Most gluten free breads are impossible to use for sandwiches. They are either to crumbly or the slices are too small. This bread, made in a bread machine, is great for sandwiches. I bought a package as an experiment and we are buying it monthly using the subscription buying service which is a great saving.