5.0 out of 5 stars Our Bodies Ourselves

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original
Published on November 17, 2012 by windborne

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Bodies Ourselves, October 30, 2011
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
When this book first came out I started giving it as a gift to high school senior girls to take to college with them. First it was my daughters friends and my friends daughters, now it is my grand daughters and my friends grand daughters. This is by far the best reference book on womens bodies that there is available. I am always saddend that there is not one for men. The new edition is up to date but has not lost the emotions of the other editions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original, November 17, 2012
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
I am old enough to own the original version of this book, released in the 1970s. The book was both educational and comforting to me as a young woman looking desperately for information I could trust and understand. So, when one of my favorite nieces became a teenager, I bought the latest version for her. The information, of course, is solid, as we could expect, but the format is so dense, it's unreadable! Instead of the simply written, well laid out book that meant so much to my younger self, this book is more like a textbook to be left on the shelf with all the other texts we tell ourselves we "should read." At a time when women's reproductive rights are under siege, we really need a reliable source of information and support. I wish they offered cliff notes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why it's better than the internet, December 8, 2011
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
I first read Our Bodies, Ourselves when I was in college and urgently needed to know what was going on with my body and what to look out for during the sexual maelstrom of the 1970s. Thirty five years later, I am buying a copy of the latest edition for my college-aged niece for Christmas, and at her request! I imagine she will read it much as I did -- picking it up to look up a specific question here or there and then getting drawn to read adjacent sections just because they are compelling and she is curious about real life and real people.

She has the option of taking her questions to the internet, which is great. But she wants OBOS because she knows that the information she finds there comes from smart, sex-positive, non-judgmental, feminist women like herself. And she values that as much as I do.

Anna Forbes, MSS

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly useful book, December 7, 2011
Bob D. (Somerville, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
I have been teaching the previous edition in my undergraduate and graduate women's health classes, and am thrilled to be able to assign this newest edition. I have pored over it since it came out, and can attest to its relevance, accessibility, and accuracy. Students always love this book and say it is one of the few that they will keep instead of selling it back to the bookstore. Even an old feminist like me still learns new things from this new edition. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic lives on, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
I have every issue of Our Bodies Ourselves and each new edition adds more to our health knowledge base. The latest edition is fabulous and whether or not you have the previous editions, the 40th anniversary edition will be an invaluable resource to women seeking accurate information about their own health and the health care system. Buy it for yourselves, buy it for your daughters and, yes, even your sons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from OBOS!, January 23, 2012
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
I have been consulting versions of this book consistently since adolescence and I am so grateful for the knowledge base it has given me about my body and related topics. It is an essential resource for women of all ages and I look forward to its fairly regularly updated versions. A great investment!

1.0 out of 5 stars What?, May 13, 2014
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
I had an earlier copy of this book from way back and found it really valuable and interesting. They made a serious error in the design, in that they broke up everyones story into these sections were each woman answers a specific question in 1-2 paragraphs. No continuity or context. Real disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book filled to the brim with unbiased information, May 31, 2012
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
I truly wish that I had owned this book as a younger teen. I took a Women's Studies class and the Women's Studies department at my university requires this book for every class. It is truly a book full of information and unbiased information and is up to date. There are no outdated terms and the information is all very relevant. There are so many different chapters in this book pertaining to the female anatomy, politics of women's health, health problems specific to women, and many other important topics. It is truly an encyclopedia for all women, young and old. The topics discussed are so important and it is insane how uninformed we are about our own bodies. This book is making a real effort to try to enlighten women the whole world over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this!, February 7, 2014
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
I bought this book as a requirement for a health class, and I am sure glad I did.

This book is chock full of wonderful and up to date information that every woman should know about. Buy it for yourself, for your daughter, your niece, your girlfriend, your mom....... and heck, for those men in your life who want to understand females better.

I actually plan on leaving this book out and about so it is easily accessible to me, my partner, my sons and my step son. It answers nearly all questions a person could have about being a woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, January 22, 2014
This review is from: Our Bodies, Ourselves (Paperback)
wanted this for my granddaughter and her friends. The true knowledge written here is great and i am soaking up more about late life than ever

Our Bodies, Ourselves
Our Bodies, Ourselves by Judy Norsigian (Paperback - October 4, 2011)
$26.00 $22.58