4.0 out of 5 stars Specialized product but worth it.
For those who are confused about what this is for, I'll let you know. It's for toasting things that won't fit in a toaster. Think pastries, buns, muffins. . .

Published on April 16, 2010 by Eric J. Markwardt

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont quite know what to make of this.
Have you ever looked at a toaster oven and thought dang this would be perfect, if only it sported an inefficient open grill type of design without the enclosure? Then this is the product for you!

Published on November 23, 2009 by A. Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont quite know what to make of this., November 23, 2009
A. Reader (Hollywood, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bodum 10957-01US Bistro Flatbed 4-Slice Toaster, Black (Kitchen)

I got this 'toaster' assuming the bread went inside of it. It doesnt. It instead goes on top. I still have not figured out any advantage to this design. I'm sure there is one. But so far I've only found the following disadvantages: You cannot use it under a cabinet, because the cabinet will get much too hot. It is not able to get breads really dark, because it loses so much heat. And you have to flip the bread over to get it dark on both sides. This means to get your piece of bread blackened the toast time is nearly quadrupled. (2 sides x 2 cycles/side)

This is clearly a purpose built device. But what is that purpose? I mean i guess if you wanted to toast something ridiculously huge, like a loaf of bread all at once or a sandwich? But again you could use a toaster oven and have it done much more efficiently.

I looked through the instruction book to see if it had any suggestions or recipies, but nothing.

To be clear: It did exactly what it was supposed to. I'm just not sure what its supposed to accomplish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Specialized product but worth it., April 16, 2010

I like a grilled bun with my sandwiches, but I'm trying to eat healthier. So instead of applying a light coat of butter on a hoagie roll and sticking it on a frying pan, I can place it open-faced on this toaster. It's brilliant! Hoagies, hamburger buns, and pastries just don't work in a conventional toaster, and this is where the Bodum Flatbed comes in. If you're only toasting sliced bread on here you're going to get annoyed. But if you want to toast a non-conventional baked good, you're in luck. Four stars only because the darkness scale is ineffective below "4". The lower numbers on the dial are virtually indistinguishable. For example, a 6 will yield a nice amber color on hamburger buns but a 3 barely warms them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it for one day, August 16, 2010
Cedar Waxwing (Boulder, Colorado) - See all my reviews
I loved the total control over the toasting process. I could turn the bread over at any time while toasting and decide what shade of toast (readiness) I preferred. I could also add some sandwich fixings when I chose to make a hot sandwich. Although, the operating instructions warn against toasting items that may be particularly prone to melting such as pastries, I made a sandwich with plain lettuce and cucumbers which turned out perfect.

The dial could use a dot to indicate where the control was pointing to. For example, if you set the the dial to toast to number 7, there is no dot or color on the dial that quickly reaffirms your selection at a glance. Instead, the dial is all one flat black color. There is an indentation on the 'selection' side of the dial but you'd only know it by running your fingers above it.

The grill is sturdy and well made. Another advantage is that you can clean the entire toaster having access to the inner workings. And it is stainless steel so I expected to be able to clean and maintain it for at least a few years.

To my surprise, even with only three heating elements running the length of the toaster, it toasted bread very well. It is more suited for two slices of toast not four as stated in the manufactures description.

The machine is not too cumbersome and weighs minimally. It takes about as much room as a coffee maker. You should exercise some caution because it is an 'open-faced' toaster and the heat is unopposed thereby anything other than toast (or the like) coming in contact with the top-side grill can burn (I think of household animals or children's small but inquiringly little fingers).

Members of my family did not like that it had no timer bell for when the toast was done. Since I like to gage the readiness of the bread it posed no inconvenience. Everyone else in my household was relieved when the toaster failed to turn on the next morning! I was rather sad to see it returned to the box. I was out-voted when the machine failed simply because if quality was an issue, it was more than likely the replacement toaster would fail again prematurely. There's no arguing that.

I loved the toaster and gave it five stars for its toasting ability--the one day I was able to enjoy it. A wonderful product and would buy again if I was reassured it would work somewhat long into the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't Toast Beyond Thin Breads, September 23, 2010
I bought this toaster for the following reasons: flexibility in regards to what I can toast, it could toast up to four slices of typical bread, and it had a space efficient design (you can store it sideways and its width takes up way less than a typical 4-slice toaster--the overall dimensions were excellent for my small kitchen).

While it met all of those requirements, I was very dissatisfied with its actual ability to toast. It was fine for a thin slice of whole wheat sandwich bread (when on a fairly high setting), but when it came to thicker items like English muffins or dense pieces of artisan or homemade bread, it took two to three cycles on the highest setting before the items got that golden and every-so-slightly crisp texture. I was especially disappointed by how it couldn't even toast English muffins, as any of the cheap typical toasters I've ever owned before this handled them just fine.

After using my Bodum Bistro toaster for 10 extremely painful months, I finally broke down and replaced it with this this Haier Long-Slot Toaster. The only downside to my new toaster is that it doesn't come in pretty colors (I had the lime Bistro toaster), and it only toasts 2 slices at a time. However, it still has the thin profile that I wanted (with an added bonus of not having to flip it down every time I use it), it actually toasts everything the first round through, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good gift, January 6, 2012
This item was a gift and as far as I know it's working fine. The vendor was very helpful and prompt. I had a few questions and he/she responded very quickly and responded to the actual question (which doesn't always happen with the big stores). I would use this vendor again for sure.