5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, surprisingly sturdy
I purchased these after seeing them on the Bodum.com website. I admit the cool factor lured me in.

The cups maintain the temperature of a cappuccino for as long as it takes me to get to the bottom of the cup. Additionally it is nice not to need coasters (especially if you have men or children in the home).

The 9 oz cup is less than 4 inches tall,...
Published on April 9, 2006 by Amalfi Coast Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing new version
Published on March 24, 2010 by Espresso Lover

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing new version, March 24, 2010
I loved the previous version of this glass, which was completely hermetically sealed. The new version has a small hole in the bottom, covered in a silicone(?)-like rubbery compound. On one of my two new glasses, this compound came off in the dishwasher, which means that water gets in between the two walls and is impossible to dry... sort of like double-paned windows where humidity gets in between the layers of glass. So it's ugly and foggy, rather than clear and pristine.

Wish they had left well enough alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, surprisingly sturdy, April 9, 2006

The 9 oz cup is less than 4 inches tall, making it fit perfectly under the fill spout of my super-automatic Saeco espresso machine (which I also love).

My husband and I have had 4 of these cups for more than 6 months and not one of them has broken. I mention this because the 9 oz cups seem to be much more sturdy than the 21 oz Pavina ice tea glasses. We broke one of the 21 oz cups with the first ice cube that went into the cup. We broke 2 others in the first two weeks.

Bottom line, I cannot recommend the 21 oz Pavina. However, the 9 oz Pavina cups are very tough, having survived 6 months of daily use with less than dainty owners. I think you will be very pleased with your purchase of the 9 oz Pavina cups.

UPDATE: JULY 18, 2006
All 4 of the 9 ounce Pavina mugs are still intact even with frequent use. I continue to recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrong, Amazon - just wrong, October 11, 2009
I'm rating this product at five stars, because Amazon has combined reviews for at least five different products - and each one surely deserves at least one star.

Before you reply to, or accept any review for these products, know that the reviewer may be talking about a different product.

The only way you can be sure that the reviewer is talking about the same product is to click on the comment(s) link under the review, scroll to the top of the page, and look at the image on the upper right.

Thanks for breaking the reviewing system, Amazon. Looking at the one-star reviews, quite a number of them seem to be for the 21oz iced-tea glasses. So maybe the 9oz tumblers deserve a higher rating - but we'll never know, unless we click on each review to verify which product broke/didn't break/leaked, and tally the results ourselves.

Sort of defeats the purpose of a review system, doesn't it?

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, October 16, 2007
It's been about a little over a month since I purchased a sizable quantity of these glass for home everyday use (assorted sizes, 24 count total), and two glasses have spontaneously cracked on us. Other than using them for everyday-use, we have been very careful with them - they've been washed with a soft sponge, we have a designated space in the cabinet to store them (not stacked), etc. These glasses are just not cut out for everyday use. We have been using the glasses to drink warm (hot chocolate) and cold drinks (iced beverage). Both broken glasses spontaneously cracked at the bottom while it was sitting on the desk holding a drink. At first, I thought someone had accidentally slammed it, but I actually witnessed the spontaneous cracking when the second glass broke.

I am very disappointed with the functionality of the product. I'm a sucker for good designs, but I expect a reasonable level of durability. These glasses have been incredibly sub standard - my cheap ikea glasses I bought for $5/dozen have fared better. Maybe these glasses are meant to be put away in some display case, only to be used for special occasions... but what's the point of buying glasses if you are not going to use them?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful little shot glasses that are surprisingly durable!, December 28, 2009
I have a few other Bodum products (my one-cup french press is a personal favorite) and thought I'd give these glasses a try. I recently spent 2 weeks in Italy and upon tasting my "regular" coffee I made at home I was heartbroken. I went on a hunt for decent performing, affordable espresso / cappuccino gear to satisfy my longing. Enough of the silly background! :)

Why these glasses:
One thing important to keeping as much flavor in your caffe is heat. This involves preheating your cups with hot water or a warming tray before filling them with your favorite drink. I was finding that I had to drink my shots a bit faster than I wanted with a "normal" demitasse. I saw these glasses and thought I would give them a try - I thought the double wall would be good for holding in more heat.

Worries / initial impression:
The only worry I had about these before I ordered was how fragile the picture makes them look. I am not a graceful person by any means and I could foresee the possible death of one of these beauties at my hands. The reasonable Amazon price and my experience with other Bodum glass products convinced me to give them a try. Unpacking the glasses from the box didn't encourage me - they arrived in a sturdy cardboard box packed with bubble wrap. I gently extracted one glass and held it gingerly in my fingers as I looked at it. They really are gorgeous little things. I have big hands and they are a good fit for me, yet my wife has very small hands and they seem to be the perfect size for her too. I just couldn't get the thought out of my head that I should handle these things with the utmost care - not unlike your great-grandmother's set of handblown Austrian Christmas ornaments that have been passed down through the family for the past 100 years, ending up in your care. ;)

Performance:
I have only had these glasses for a short time, but I use them three to four times a day and have a good feel for them already. I run hot water through my espresso machine to preheat everything and that includes the glasses I drink from - including these. The first thing that happened when I went to sip my first shot is that I burned my mouth. This highlights the first quality I would've realized if I were a smarter person: the outside of the glass stays comfortably "cool" (compared to the 170F liquid inside the cup). I thought that I somehow poured a lukewarm shot and went to dispose of it quickly (by gulping it, I'm too cheap to just pitch it) and immediately found out just how hot it was. Mother always said I was more brawn than brains, and I'm not a very strong guy either. :) Immediate and strategic action was taken and I survived the incident (placing a large ice cube in my mouth until it completely melted - based on prior experience).
So, take number two was much better. Outside of glass stays cool despite how molten the liquid inside is, check. Normally, I would have to drink my espresso within about two minutes of making it before it cooled off too much to enjoy. That's fine if you're in Italy standing at a bar, but I would really like take my drink from the kitchen, go sit in front of the fire, then enjoy the drink over a few minutes without losing the flavor. These glasses allow me to do just that. :) Someday, I may take some time to pour a sacrificial shot, then plot the change in temperature over time of these glasses vs. a regular demitasse; until then, I am going to claim that these wonderful things will keep your shots within good drinkable temps for at least five minutes. For those that like to drink their shots a bit cooler (and quietly - I loudly "sip" air over the shot as I drink it), you can enjoy your drink for at least 10 minutes (double shot).

Durability:
Despite trying to treat these with kid gloves, I have managed to knock them around pretty good, and they are no worse for wear. I treat them with the same care I reserve for glass and ceramic kitchenware with great results. I originally thought I would have to handle these like I do with champagne and wine glasses (imagine someone playing the old milton-bradley board game "Operation" crossed with a nervous person handling nitroglycerin) but they are tough little guys! I bump them when I wash them, bang them into other glassware and can set them down on our stone counter top without having to emulate the early eighties video game "lunar lander". Dishwasher safe too!

Miscellaneous:
The double wall construction creates a very comfortable lip to sip espresso over - it even seems to enhance my experience. The glass has a hole in the outside bottom with a silicon plug/"valve" in it to allow the pressure inside the glass to equalize with the atmosphere. Very clever design that enhances safety (perhaps a hot liquid poured in a cold glass would cause excessive pressure to build up - potentially creating enough force to scatter glass in a larger area if you should drop it - by that is just an engineering guess), but I don't know how durable it is with repeated trips to the diswasher or if you microwave it (I have NO IDEA if it is microwave safe, but in my opinion, you don't buy this set of teeny glasses to warm up small amounts of liquid in the microwave). For me, a simple hand wash and dry before setting them on top of my coffee maker works well. The size is good and not cumbersome washing or drying and I can get my fingers inside with a towel to dry everything.
Also, if you use these for espresso, it is neat to watch the layers form as you pull shots into them - very similar to watching a pint of Guinness properly poured - or at least the one time I bought one. :)

Cliffs notes:
A beautiful set of shot glasses that are relatively cheap, durable, and incredibly functional. I cannot think of a thing about them I would change.
Overall Rating: 5/5

1.0 out of 5 stars not what you expect from Bodum, May 29, 2007
These are beautiful glasses, but as others have noted they can get water between the layers and are gross. They are advertised as DW and micro safe, but obviously that is not true. They are not guaranteed. Also, only when you already own them do you find out all the "don'ts". I want something I can use everyday and not have to fuss with. I am down two glasses in a month and I am not a person who is hard on dishes, glassware, etc. I still have all my full sets of dishes and goblets after 20 years!

I expected more from Bodum, as I have other products of theirs and am happy with those but, skip these.Bodum Pavina Double Wall Thermal Glass Collection

update. All but 2 of the 8 Bodum glasses have broken / leaked. Shortly after I wrote this review I found some Duos glasses, very much like the Bodum, at a discount shop. They were a better shape, so as to not slip out of ones hands and I bought 8. It's been over a year now and I still have all of them. No leaks, no spontaneous cracking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking, now in the garbage, June 5, 2009
Fragile. Broke it just washing it with my fingers. And I don't exactly have big, meat-hook hands. Normals hands, broken cup.

2.0 out of 5 stars HARD TO RESIST... BUT RESIST YOU MUST..., February 16, 2008
I fell in love with these cups the first time I held them in my hands.
With piping hot coffee suspened in beautiful clear glass, I was mesmerized. So began my ill fated love affair with these glasses. In space of few months I went through 6 of them. Yup...SIX...urgh!!!
I couldn't resist. Even when they broke into little pieces at every bump or ill fated couple inches of drop in my sink, I had to get another set.
Nothing kept my hot drinks longer than these beauties...even now I keep them in my amazon cart and feel the flutter in my heart that longs to hold them again...I must resist...I must resist...

2.0 out of 5 stars These aren't the old vacuum version, December 2, 2010
I've created a tag "changed design to ruin it" which applies more and more these days.
I owned the old version and over the course of the past year broke one moving and the other in a deadfall drop into the porcelain sink.
I liked them so much I reordered without thinking and was really shocked to see the little advice insert about the silicone seal and venting "improvement." It's NOT an improvement.
The old version was vacuum sealed and kept things hot with a very slow transfer around the lip to the outside, it kept shots of espresso hot and i never got close to a hotfinger or burned lips. I also used them for shots of chartreuse and port, the drinks stayed cool and the outside of the glass neutral.
This new design just blows, it's just about the furthest from an "improvement" you could do. I just used one to move milk for tea, then went to quick rinse the cup with boiling water from the kettle- the outside of the glass heated up immediately as i swirled and dumped the water. Disgraceful.. a terrible broken design, no doubt cheaper to produce than the lovely vacuum cups these used to be.
Do not buy. There's a 4 oz vacuum rounded cup by another manufacturer still on Amazon, 4 for $19, i'm going to recommend those and buy them myself.
This is minor, but... they don't look like the old design, either. The old cups were taught, the glass seemed stretched like a bubble, it was really beautiful. If you hold these cups up to your face, slightly tilted as though to take a drink, but then lift them a little higher to look down the edge at that "drinking" angle you'll see regular machined ripples in the glass, a weird distortion of the material from the blown mold being filled without pressure or whatever. It's sad, they're just not as pretty as the others with this notably warped surface.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, these fill with water!, February 13, 2007
Frank Rust (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought four of these, and loved the way they looked--BEFORE I washed them. There is a very small hole on the bottom of every glass, left over from the glass blowing process I presume. Water seeps *INTO* the glasses through this hole and fills the inside of the glass with dirty dishwater--not a good look. I've washed them by hand and ran them through the dishwasher, problem persists. Not only is it gross, but since the hole is on the bottom, when you set the glasses down they slowly leak! I found this out AFTER one had been placed on the wooden shelf of my bar. Too bad this fundamental flaw--so easily fixed--was overlooked by a company so proud of its design.