5.0 out of 5 stars Freshman Mixer...
Established chefs may want something a little more oomphy, say one of those Kitchen Aid things that look big enough to mix concrete, but for those of us who aren't into the heavy kitchen lifting, this attractive mixer from Bodum more than fills the bill.

Published on September 22, 2011 by NyiNya

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfaithful in Maine
Dear old KitchenAid hand mixer,
It's true that I doubted you. That jazzy red Bodum caught my eye, with its retractable cord and colorful housing. Yes, I strayed.

Published on February 9, 2011 by M. Feldman

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfaithful in Maine, February 9, 2011
Dear old KitchenAid hand mixer,

Unlike you, dear KitchenAid, that Bodum turned out to be all looks and no performance. In the hand it feels clunky and out of balance. The retracting cord turns out to be attached to a crank, awkward to use and hardly an improvement. The cover on the speed button fell off immediately. And when I asked it to cream some butter for cookies, those Bodum beaters just couldn't handle it. All it wanted to do was sit on the counter and look pretty.

So. old KitchenAid, take me back, will you? I promise not to replace you. And when your final day comes, I swear I'll choose another just like you.

M. Feldman

1.0 out of 5 stars Jackson Pollock on your kitchen walls AHHHHH!, October 16, 2011
P. Cannon (Big Pine Key, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really needed a good hand mixer and thought this was going to be the one. Here is why it wasn't:

#1- It is very large and clunky and not at all well balanced. It is over 2.6 pounds, I think it's more cumbersome than my mothers old 1950's Oster!

#2- It is very noisy. It starts out OK for a brief second and then sounds like it's grinding rocks, really loud annoying sound. My husband said it was the cooling fan coming on but it was a grinding sound like it was going to rattle apart.

#3-I tried to cream butter and sugar and within seconds a good third of it was thrown all over the counter and up the walls. I tried a very large tall bowl and the same thing happened. There is no low setting at all, when you turn it on it goes from high speed to warp speed in 5 useless settings shooting food all over the kitchen. I have to wonder if the maker of this mixer has ever baked anything!

#4-The mixer comes with dough hooks which I found amusing. The power is so high I would have concern for my wrists holding on to it. Who makes bread with a hand mixer anyway, just silly! I think this would have been better suited for mixing concrete in a bucket maybe they should market it with longer beaters for that purpose. Bodem, stick to the intended purpose of a hand mixer and don't try to make it something it is not. It also comes with a little whisk which threw eggs right out of the bowl too! Way too high power right off the bat this desperately needs low settings to be useful.

#5- I liked the idea of the retractable cord but it takes a lot of turns to get it back inside. Not to much to complain about there I still liked this feature even though it takes some time to retract it fully it's better then a lose cord.

I could have lived with the weight and cumbersome size but the noise and NO low speed makes this completely useless to a home baker. Bodem, put a couple low speeds on this mixer and you might have a descent product, warp speed is just not necessary in a hand mixer and you always need to start on low or everything flies out of the bowl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freshman Mixer..., September 22, 2011
NyiNya "NyiNya" (It was broken when I got here...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

It's lightweight, so your arm does not ache from holding it. It has five speeds, enough to go from mixing up a cake batter, whipping cream or eggwhites to mashing potatoes or kneading bread dough. Today we mixed up a cake from scratch (orange spice...use any spice cake recipe, replace half of the liquid with freshly squeezed orange juice and quite a lot of orange zest, bake as usual. Serve with cream cheese frosting, sprinkle on more zest. Easy and pretty and good). Yesterday it was biscuit dough. Tomorrow, who knows...meringue? Of course this frenzy will be over soon...you know what it's like when you're in the New Appliance Honeymoon Stage.

The Bodum Mixer comes with a breadhook attachment which will come in handy when pigs fly, one single beater, and one double, so you can tackle a variety of mixing chores. The cord is retractable and although some reviwers found its cranking mechanism unwieldy, I'm not having a problem. They also felt the cord was too short, but again, I don't see it. What, you're making babka and suddenly feel an overwhelming urge to hike to Yemen and take the mixer with you?

All in all, this could be a Kitchen Survivor and avoid exile with the pasta maker, fondue set (they told me fondue parties were coming back), George Foreman grill, In The Egg Egg Scrambler (go ahead, say it), and some big stainless steel cylinder--it has a pour spout and clear lid, and the bottom spins around. That's all it does as far as I can see, except emit a burning odor and trip the circuit breakers when I plug it in. Must have been one heck of an infomercial though.

If you want a good, basic mixer that does all the basic tasks, doesn't take up too much space and is easy store, looks nice, has well thought out features, versatility and utility, I don't see how you can do much better than the Bodum Bistro Electric 5 Speed Hand Mixer.

4.0 out of 5 stars After a run-in time, no problems, September 22, 2011
Doug Hibbard (Almyra, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first time I plugged in my Bodum, the motor smelled a little like it was a burning. However, it has not continued to do that, and the mixer runs without any difficulty, so I'm thinking it was just dust from shipping and sitting on a shelf.

Overall, the mixer does claim to have 5 speeds, but I honestly can't tell you how much difference there is between 2-4. There's an obvious difference from 1 to 5. I'm no pastry chef, so I'm not in need of great degrees of subtly here, so that's not a problem. I know to start slow and speed up and this has been fine for that.

The mixer itself feels well-balanced, though the rubber surface does feel strange. That it's non-skid is handy, as I have kids learning to cook in my kitchen. Anything that's less likely to slip, slide, or fall is good.

The cord-reel system is clunky. I like the storage, but the fold-out handle has proven less than helpful. It's actually easier for me to just crank the whole bottom of the mixer and wind the cord up.

The white isn't a super-bright white, so I'm not concerned about scratches. Plus, it's rubberized. If you can visibly tear that up, you probably need something on the industrial side.

Included are a single whisk, paired dough hooks, and paired traditional mixer blades. All three do the job as commanded.

So far, it just works. That's what I'm after in an appliance. It's not ugly, so if I leave it out on the counter, that's not bad (and it matches in appearance my Bodum Water Kettle), but it's about function. So far, so good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Might as well mix with a cinder block in your hand., November 3, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This mixer is very heavy, my mother was not able to hold it up for the time necessary to mix. I could hold it but felt it was just too awkward and not ergonomical at all. The cord quit retracting after about 6 uses. This mixer is also very loud. It was fine for beating cake mixes but when I did a creamed butter and pizza dough it bogged down and that was that. This is an expensive mixer for what it really does (I should say doesn't do). Definite pass.

4.0 out of 5 stars The "in between" tool for my kitchen, September 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having loved all of the Bodum items I have bought before this, I thought this was a worthy product to try out. I have a KitchenAid stand mixer KitchenAid K45SS Classic 250-Watt 4-1/2-Quart Stand Mixer, White which should be your first purchase in this area. For small specialty jobs I also have an immersion blender (especially good for soups and sauces) KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black.

This unit is my "in-between" unit perfect for using when I don't want to bother having to clean up the stand mixer after a small job, or for using in a crowded kitchen for just one dish (think holiday meals which the entire family migrates to the kitchen). Also great for when I have two (or more) things cooking at once and the stand mixer is taken up.

The small size and clever retractable cord make this the perfect "in-between" mixing unit. Its super easy to store, and doesn't take up as much room as many other hand mixing units. I particularly liked that it came with a nice wisk attachment which made the unit much more useful than if it came with the beaters alone. The dough hooks however seem to be rather unlikely to be useful given the power and size of the hand mixer. That really is a stand mixer job.

At the discounted Amazon price, this is a good value for a easily stored hand mixer from a proven company like Bodum. Just make sure you are buying it for the jobs it is good at and not as a replacement for a proper stand mixer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Bad on all levels, May 21, 2013
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric 5 Speed Hand Mixer, Green (Kitchen)
Could you have a cooler looking mixer?! Probably not. I loved it when it came out o the box, and I loved the retractable cord, the cranking handle is kinda fun.
But then you plug it in. There are five speeds of this thing, but the first one is about eight levels faster than it should be. It's ridiculous. But I dealt with it. After about a year of owning it, maybe the sixth time I used it, I decided to make homemade whipped cream. After about five minutes, it is dead, done for, won't turn on again, and has not ever since.
I more than most appreciate good looking appliances, but after using a family membe'rs $20 Black & Decker recently (or something of the sort) I realized that I had only been trying to make myself feel better about spending eighty dollars on a fancy looking piece of garbage, and that it really was (when it was working) a terrible, terribly built machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke on first use, March 8, 2014
I shut mine off after about 3 minutes of mixing a cake batter and it would not turn again. I looked in the manual and found this: "IMPORTANT: to prevent overheating of the motor, switch off the mixer after FOUR MINUTES continuous operation and wait two minutes before continuing" (emphasis mine).

Maybe I just got a bum machine and you'll be luckier. But it looks like there are some serious design issues with this thing. Can you whip up cream or a meringue in four minutes? I can't. So even it did work, this mixer is probably useless for most of the things people do with hand mixers.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good hand mixer, December 29, 2013
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric 5 Speed Hand Mixer, Green (Kitchen)
This mixer comes with plenty of accessories, including beaters, dough hooks and a balloon whisk. The speed button is easy to slide, and the attachments can be ejected smoothly when the button is pressed. The mixer can be heavy to hold for long periods, but with the beaters still attached it will stand upright without falling over, should you need a break. However, the weight of the device can put off people who manual dexterity issues, also its hard to clean flour from the rubber surface.

For me the winning formula is its ability too excel at mixing, whipping and kneading. The device is relatively quiet, and the control buttons are clearly visible.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this, but . . ., September 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I opened the box for this Bodum hand mixer, I was excited -- it felt sturdy, had an unusual and distinctly European appearance, and had a nice feel in my hands. In practice, however, I found that the mixer, although capable of mixing, fell short for several reasons. Although the Bodum is better than a cheap mixer, it doesn't hold up well against similarly priced mixers.

I should preface my review by saying that I'm an avid cook and baker and that I own a KitchenAid stand mixer for most heavy-duty tasks. Still, I find it necessary to also own a hand mixer, especially because it's portable for going between stove and countertop. Over the years, I've thrown away more cheap hand mixers because I've burned out the motors on what should be simple tasks. I finally bought a mid-price 200-watt Sunbeam hand mixer that has lasted for the last several years. Because of the price and the Bodum name, I expected similar or better performance out of this. I decided to test the Bodum against my Sunbeam by making cookies, a recipe that required speed to cream fluffy butter, finesse to add dry ingredients, and power to mix the thick dough.

Although neither hand mixer measured up to my KitchenAid, I didn't expect them to since a stand mixer is an entirely different animal, but I didn't expect the Sunbeam to outperform the Bodum, so much so that I almost put the Bodum aside just to make things easier. Because the Bodum's the power cord comes out of the bottom, not the back, the stiff cord kept catching on the edge of the mixing bowl and preventing me from freely moving it around. Yes, such a design makes it easier for the appliance to sit upright on a counter but it's a real pain in practice. The lowest speed on the Bodum is too high -- and is barely distinguishable from the next two speeds -- and the butter flew everywhere. The Sunbeam did not do this. Because of the tapered shape of the Bodum beaters, it was not as efficient as the Sunbeam; like the position of the power cord, its design seems good on paper but not so much in practice. So how did the Bodum do with mixing dry ingredients into wet? Imagine a scene from I Love Lucy. I had flour everywhere: the counter, my arms, even my face. This is NOT a problem with all mixers, as the Sunbeam sent up only a poof of flour. The only test the Bodum passed was the power test. The motor had enough oomph to mix a thick dough without threatening to burn out. Although the materials state that the Bodum can mix bread dough and supplies bread hooks, I wouldn't risk it. The manual states that the mixer can only be run for up to four minutes a time before you have to rest it for two minutes, not enough time or power to knead dough. But I wouldn't attempt bread dough with my Sunbeam, either. Last, the hand crank to reel in the power cord at the bottom of the mixer does not work smoothly. Even pulling out the cord takes effort. It's almost as if this mixer was designed by a student mechanical engineer who had great solutions on paper but who never bothered to test them with real cooks.

So why three stars instead of one or two? Well, the mixer does the job. If this were the only mixer I owned, I would and could use it. The controls are nice and easy to use with one hand so I can keep the bowl steady with the other. And I love the unique styling. The beaters are dishwasher-safe, and the rubberized exterior is a breeze to wipe clean. It comes with two regular beaters, two dough hooks, and one whisk for whipping egg whites and cream.

Unfortunately, the Bodum is headed for the basement where it will be the understudy for my Sunbeam in case that one quits on me. Until the Bodum designers go back to the drawing board and actually test their mixer in a real kitchen, I'll stick with KitchenAid and Sunbeam.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann