Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

Bodum Brazil 8-Cup French Press Coffee Maker, 34-Ounce, Black
Color: BlackPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$18.49+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 27, 2010
Video review of bodum original brazilian french press. Almost perfect design and function. Great value.

**2/1/15 update: Following up on my previous review. I used this item for 1 year until it broke and then purchased another one which lasted about 6 months.

First break: the plastic "cap" on the plunger assembly due to drying rack placement (not a factory defect)
Second/third break: The glass shattered along the spout. I want to say this is due to misuse but given that my third broke in the same way, I am tempted to say its a flaw in the design.

While we were using it, the product worked great. We did get the occasional grinds that found their way into our cup of coffee but it wasn't too bad. Our new french press is double-walled stainless steel with a double mesh filter. Steel = bombproof, double mesh = no grinds in my coffee.
SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press, 1 Liter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMQOZ1U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
on October 16, 2008
I bought this coffeemaker after breaking the caraffe of my previous Bodum press. It's been great, and the molding around the bottom edge definitely is an improvement over my other model - it protects it from the everyday bumps. Big fan!
on July 27, 2007
I recently bought the Brazil press, and so far it's been fantastic -- no cracks or chips in the beaker (knock on wood), no ill-fated high-pressure explosions -- nothing but great-tasting coffee.

I do have two minor complaints:
1) It's much harder to clean the grounds out than I expected (but I think that is probably true of any press pot)
2) There is no way this makes 8 6-ounce cups of coffee. Note that the description says 8 cups, but 4 US cups! I make about half of the pot, and it fills one mug with room for cream.

Otherwise, I love it! I am so happy I went with this instead of buying a new drip coffee maker -- better coffee, and it even takes up less space.
on September 6, 2009
This coffee press can contain 8 European MEASURING cups, which is 4 American cups, or 32 ounces. If you use about 8 ounces of ground coffee (that makes a pretty strong cup), you'll have 24 ounces left for your brew, which would be 3 regular 8-oz cups, or 2 12-oz travel mugs. This press does NOT make 8 drinking cups of coffee like your drip brew machine will - they're talking measuring cups.

The press works great! Makes a nice strong cup of coffee, whether only 8 or 12 ounces for me, or a full 32 oz for others as well. Be sure to use fresh ground beans :)

I found using 2 or 3 tbsp of course ground coffee for every 4 ounces of brewed coffee works pretty well.

Use hot water just off the boil; if the water is boiling, I add a splash of cold water before pouring it in. The glass may break if you add straight boiling water.

The recommended 4-minute steep time is ideal.

The glass is fragile, so use a plastic spoon or wood stick to stir the grounds while it's steeping. Chopsticks or popsicle sticks work great! Stir it a little 'til you see a nice light brown bloom before you let it steep.

Currently using a $20 blade grinder. Looking forward to trying it with a nice burr grinder when I can get one!
on March 7, 2011
I saved 50% buying this, what a deal. The glass is probably the same as nicer models and the screen seems about the same too. It probably makes extremely similar coffee to the $40 ones.
However, all the other parts are flimsy plastic. Any pressure and the parts bend. The handle comes up over the edge so it's a bit of a pain to put the top on each time.

And the cover... my god the cover.
The cover is made of flimsy plastic. It refuses to stay in place while there is any movement going on at all.

I figured "what's the difference between the plastic one and the metal one?"

Quality

If you're looking for value, this is perfect for you. But if quality is important, spend the money.
on May 31, 2009
makes great coffee, but make sure your grinds are big enough to press or they will be come stuck in the plunger grate, making them difficult to remove.
on December 30, 2008
I had heard from a friend that a french press is definitely worth it and when my old drip coffee-maker needed to be replaced, I went for a press. I looked through the reviews and chose this one - and am quite happy with it. First, the coffee press does make a difference in taste. This press is great - I also like the plastic protecting it from an accidental drop and also use a wooden spoon. It's quick to use, quick to clean, great.
on December 24, 2011
Within 3 weeks of once daily use, the plunger screen started wandering up and tilting when you push it down, making the coffee worthless. I did jerry rig a repair by notching the plunger rod and tying thread around it to hold it in place. Then the lid plastic broke, which at least doesn't change the functionality. I bought Bodum because I thought I could trust the name. Have another Bodum model from Starbucks that has been fine for about a year. Can't recommend this model
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 17, 2009
I am very happy with this product, it works as promised and produces great results!
I had seen someone comment that French Press coffee results in "cold" results, but we heated the water to 170 degrees F before brewing as per the instructions (12 oz water, 3 minutes on high in our microwave) and had nice hot coffee when finished brewing 4 minutes later.
Also I had seen someone comment that the glass breaks easily, however we use a plastic spoon to stir the coffee as per the directions & wash it gently and have no problems.
I would definitely recommend this product!
on February 10, 2012
I never wrote reviews for products before. I am really disappointed in this coffee press that lasted 4 months. The coffee strainer broke off from the rod, then all the metal pieces separated. The filter stopped working completely about 2 months in; I would get some ground coffee in my cup. If you plan on buying a new press every 4-6 months, then this one works. I am surprised by all the positive reviews, but I will go for something that lasts longer, more expensive.