5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative to Bialetti
I must get something out of the way first:

Published on May 1, 2009 by M. North

1.0 out of 5 stars (NOT) stainless steel
the expresso maker was not stainless steel as advertised, it was aluminum, a pitiful substitute, the espresso maker was immediately returned, very disappointed
Published 10 months ago by Jill Fischer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative to Bialetti, May 1, 2009
M. North (Roseville, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 27-Ounce Stainless-Steel Stovetop Espresso Maker (Kitchen)
I must get something out of the way first:

The reviewers who griped about the handle breaking must not have read the instructions, which clearly state to NOT tighten the top using the handle. The handle on both my coffee pots (I own both the small and large versions) have worked perfectly well for the six or more months I've owned them. There is nothing wrong with either the design or use of these pots that a little common sense wouldn't have fixed, and it's a shame to see such a wonderful product unfairly reviewed.

Okay, with the air cleared, I'll move on to the review:

I have owned and used a Bialetti aluminum stovetop "Moka" pot for years. Bialetti's pots are just fine, but the untreated aluminum discolors and stains easily.

Keep in mind, a stovetop espresso pot will give you percolated espresso (if you use espresso roast coffee) which is not the same as a traditional espresso shot, like what you'd get from Starbucks. Frankly, I think it tastes better, but it is different, and there's little or no "crema" with a percolated espresso.

If you move to Bodum's pots from Bialetti, as I did, you will immediately notice how the fit and finish of these pots is clean and precise. Screwing the top to the bottom is silky smooth (unlike the Bialetti that can squeak and chatter). The gasket that forms the seal between top and bottom appears to be made of black silicone, and remains springy and supple even after all the months of daily use I've given it. (Bodum includes a replacement gasket in the box, but I can't imagine when I'll need to replace it.) The gasket with the Bialetti is white, and appears to be made of rubber, and will discolor the first time you use it, and goes on to form tiny cracks fairly quickly.

When you make a pot of percolated espresso, "low and slow" is the general rule. Fill the stainless steel filter basket, but do not overfill and DO NOT pack the grains down. You will want to use only a percolated grind, which is a grind roughly the size of "Sugar in the Raw" granules. To use anything finer will result in clogging of the filters, grains of coffee in the top pot (and in your cup) as well as down into the water reservoir.

Fill the bottom reservoir with water up to the max fill line. Make sure there are no grains of coffee on the lip of the basket. Sit the basket down into the reservoir, and screw the top on to the bottom (ahem... and do not use the handle to tighten, per my opening rant!) Tighten it fairly tight - you want a good solid seal - but don't over-tighten. Too loose, and the pressure of the boiling water cannot come up and into the top carafe.

Set you heat fairly low. The coffee will start to flow silently and slowly at first. The trick seems to be to immediately turn off the heat once water is exhausted and the perc head is hissing and bubbling a bit; the coffee will be about 1/4 inch from the bottom opening of the perc head.

Cleanup is a breeze. Disassemble your pot when it's cool. Use something plastic (a bic pen cap works perfectly) to remove the silicone gasket. Clean everything with warm sudsy water and dry. Or put it in the dishwasher. (Something you can't do with Bialetti.)

Keep in mind...

If you have your coffee ground at Starbucks or Peet's, remember to make a point of explaining that you need a Percolator (or "Moka Pot") grind. You definitely do NOT want the typical espresso dust type of grind, or you will not enjoy your Chambord!

I have zero regrets with either of my Bodum Chambord espresso pots, and highly recommend them to everyone. I hope some of this was useful to you. ENJOY!

1.0 out of 5 stars (NOT) stainless steel, January 10, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the leading Italian brands..., June 26, 2014
We live in Italy, drink espresso every day, and this machine rocks! I agree the handle breaks easy - this pot is so much better than the leading Italian brands that it's worth using without the handle if you have to. It makes a better espresso and the gaskets last much longer than typical Italian brands. My Italian friends ask where they can get one like ours - they see and taste the difference. Would definately recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful "Americanos", March 29, 2014
I use the smaller version of this Espresso Maker and it has been reliable for 5+ years now- still on the original gasket, making great coffee.
I make an Americano- I brew up a full espresso in the small maker and pour the steaming hot 6 or so ounces of deep dark coffee into a regular size coffee mug (12oz?) then fill it up with hot water from the teapot. It makes a great strong cup of coffee.

It only took a few tries to learn how to get a good cuppa- use a fairly fine grind, drip grind works, then tamp a full load down just lightly. Screw the unit together, put it on the stove top with the top open and watch it fill the top and then sputter for a few seconds. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gift, January 2, 2014
This was a gift for my daughter. Within two hours of opening, she used it twice and it has already been used everyday since Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Espresso, December 31, 2013
Dawn (CINCINNATI, OH, US) - See all my reviews
I have owned mine for at least three years and use it at least once a week. I have not had any problems and my handle is just fine. I don't have to tighten it up as much as I did my old aluminum pot I replaced. I guess I knew better than to ever think of using the handle to open or close. I always open it up after it is cool so there was never a problem holding it. I am not sure why Bodum as discontinued it as it is very well made.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun product, March 9, 2013
I tend to not use it as much as I thought. I am used to drinking a larger "volume " of coffee, and while I enjoy the brew, find myself wanting more than I can drink.

3.0 out of 5 stars Careful use rewards, December 13, 2008
Works great. Don't even think about trying to screw or unscrew it using the handle. The handle will break.

2.0 out of 5 stars Size Mislabelled, July 19, 2014
the label says 27 oz. In reality it holds 8 oz. I have several stove top espresso makers and over all this one seems flimsy although I have not used it yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars I agree w/"Cate", March 19, 2008
RLJ (Crested Butte, CO) - See all my reviews
I purchased this coffee maker, and the handle broke apart in one month, then the two insubstantial solder joints holding the rest of the handle to the body pulled away a few weeks later just as my husband was picking up the pot from the stove. We are lucky no one was burned! Bodum is not interested in hearing about this defect, or in acknowledging it. They offered to replace the coffee maker only once without further warranty on the replacement maker. Their warranty on the first coffee maker is only 3 months, and I assume the new one will also fall apart, which is why they will not back it up. If someone is injured due to this coffee maker either in my household or elsewhere, I have all my notes on this very disturbing product and corporate encounter.