4.0 out of 5 stars glass is very fragile
The frother works extremely well, however the glass of the frother is very thin and brittle and will crack and break with the slightest impact. I have broken two already while washing dishes. There is NO REPLACEMENT glass container available, so if you break it, you spend another $20.00 to buy a replacement. Bonjour makes a frother also, and they sell a replacement...
Published on October 21, 2007 by Soloviajero

2.0 out of 5 stars too hot to handle
This product froths milk very nicely and if you like extra frothy milk it is an excellent product. And on this basis alone easily worth five (5) stars. Clean-up and maintenance is a snap as the bottom portion of the frother is easily disassembled and cleaned. I purchased this as a replacement to the previous generation of Bodum Frothers and have found the following...
Published on September 16, 2007 by J. I. B. Dugaw

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
I have had a Bodum milk frother for years and it works great, so I bought one for a friend. It just splashed around and didn't make any froth because the plunger no longer is the same diameter as the cylinder. They screwed up an excellent design. She returned it. Evidently it didn't occur to Bodum to try frothing milk in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is basically the same as the Norpro, for half the cost, April 30, 2013
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
So, before I ordered, I looked at all the reviews for this and the other manual frothers on Amazon. I have been using a Bodum for over 10 years. I've actually had a couple of them. My carafe broke again, so I needed to get something to replace it. So I ordered one of these and also a Norpro frother. Well, here's the scoop - the glass is IDENTICAL to the Bodum. The only difference is that one has white fill lines on it and the other has black lettering and lines (Bodum). The plunger mechanisms are different. The Bodum plunger is flat, but they've changed it so that it doesn't go down to the bottom of the glass like my old plunger. The Norpro plunger goes to the bottom of the glass and is curved. Neither fits tightly along the sides of the glass - but you need to get air in to create the foam. The tighter fitting plungers (like my old one) require more force.
I clean my carafes in the dishwasher, and they go in the microwave (mine is 1200 watts) to heat the milk (I use high for 1min 10 sec). I can still hold the carafe in my hand, maybe other people are heating the milk to a much higher temp (I read one complaint that the glass gets too hot - if so use a hot pad) Yes, the glass will break, and there are no replacement glasses available. I use my frother every day, I would say on average they last at least two or three years until I do something stupid like knock them over in the sink or accidentally hit them against the sink. If you break your carafe, consider buying the Norpro (at $11.50) as a replacement for your Bodum.
I also always save my old plunger mechanisms, so if I don't like the new ones I can always revert back to the old (which were mostly metal) nd thre have been several styles over the past 12 years.. And yes, because of the spout on the glass, you will have some milk or whatever you're using spill out, but the old ones didn't have a spout on them, and you end up spilling when you pour it into your coffee mug. I usually put my hand over the spout to reduce the amount of overflow on the countertop. Tomorrow I'm going to try my old plunger in this glass and see how it does.
And, I've tried steaming the milk in the frother on my espresso maker, and that is a mess...I've also tried using the hand held electric frothers...and they don't work ver well either.
So, in essence, you can just use the cheaper Norpro version, or if you have a bodum, buy the Norpro as a replacement carafe. It only costs $12, and if you are making your own espresso drinks instead of buying them at the local coffee shop, in basically 3 uses you've paid for it in what you saved.....
I don't know how you would get the glass any thicker than it already is. It's pretty much the same thickness as any water glass. I thought about ordering a couple other frothers, just to see if they were worth the $50+, but decided it just wasn't worth it....

1.0 out of 5 stars Product was not designed for advertised purpose; does not work at all for small quantities., February 16, 2013
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
This was a big disappointment. I've used stainless-steel mechanical frothers, but thought this would be good since it's glass and can go in the microwave. But it turns out it wasn't designed as a milk frother at all, but is in fact a Bodum coffee press, with the O-ring gasket around the plunger removed so it goes through the liquid with less pressure, and with just a bare glass beaker, no handle or protection. Aside from looking like a kludge (no handle, the missing gasket, and the spout which has the usual screen to strain out the coffee grounds---completely useless for pouring foamed milk), it has the serious defect that the plunger only extends to about an inch above the bottom of the beaker (to leave room for the coffee grounds!), leaving about 1/4 cup of milk that does not get frothed. Since I usually use about 1/4 cup of milk for my morning cappucino, this product will not work at all.

After seeing what this is, I decided to try using an old plastic french-press that I keep for travelling. Even though it has a tight seal for pressing coffee (has no O-ring to remove), it works great. And the plunger extends closer to the bottom, so I can froth my 1/4 cup of milk.

I was temped to call this item a "rip-off" rather than just a disappointment, since it is clearly not designed for its advertised purpose. But it does work, if you want to froth about a cup of milk and don't care if 1/4 of it doesn't get frothed. And if you were to buy the actual Bodum coffee press, and remove the O-ring and the handle to get an equivalent product, it would cost slightly more than they're charging for this, so "rip-off" seems too strong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why, why why did you redesign this?, March 3, 2013
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
I have used one of these for years and referred to it as my "magic milk frother". So easy. So great. Well, they have taken the magic out and this newer design stinks!!!! Too bad I bought two so I'd have a back up when I wore out the first one. Keeping the carafe, threw away the useless plunger and will froth in the carafe with one of the small battery operated frothers. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a saying for a good reason Bodum. Go back to older, and by far better, design.

1.0 out of 5 stars new product very inferior to original, November 7, 2008
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
I recently purchased a replacement chambord milk frother. My old one had a metal and plastic wheel on the bottom of the frother. It worked fabulously. I ordered a new[[ASIN:B000QEEI5I Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother]and got a very different product. The bottom of the frother is plastic and mesh. It does not fit tightly in the beaker. It does not froth. I called Bodum to complain, and they seem to know it does not work very well. After my complaining loudly, they said they would send me a gasket to use which would make a tighter fit. I no longer advise buying this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont buy, July 13, 2013
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
this thing broke the first time i started using it the glass is way to easy to break this thing is nowhere near worth what it cost dont buy this product people im more than sure you will just end up breaking it you want my advice look online to buy a metal one it cost the same amount and wont break.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good frother, July 15, 2013
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
I've used better frothers made by the same manufacturer that I thought frothed a little better but I'm happy with this product overall. I recommend this product. It does the trick and completes my morning lattes.

3.0 out of 5 stars great but too delicate without holder, January 16, 2012
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
This frother works great and matches the Bodum french press coffee maker but, although I've been very careful, over the past five years I've broken the beaker twice. It is a tall, thin item that simply falls over or gets in the way of harder objects. Bodum does offer replacement beakers on their site, but they cost $20 every time (plus shipping) while the entire new set is only $24.95. The french press comes with a rubber base or a plastic holder or both. Why not something similar to protect the frother beaker? Not a good product design. Are they counting on us repurchasing the beaker many times at that inflated price? I'm unhappy but looks like I won't reorder the replacement this time and instead change to a stainless steel frother even though it adds a step and a dirty dish (have to heat the milk in something else) to the process.

3.0 out of 5 stars great froth but glass broke after 2 days!, December 15, 2011
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
This hand frother makes great froth and is easy to use and clean. The problem is with the glass cylinder. The glass is too thin. After a few uses the glass shattered against the granite counter top even though we did not bang it down as we were frothing. Bodum should make the glass more substantial. I still like this frother and have replaced it and used a small rubber mat underneath it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love my coffee, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Bodum Chambord 5-Ounce Milk Frother (Kitchen)
Great product. Milk is nice and foamy. I love having my coffee in the morning. I would of liked it to be microwave safe. I prefer my frothered milk to be warm.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›