Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 13, 2013
this thing broke the first time i started using it the glass is way to easy to break this thing is nowhere near worth what it cost dont buy this product people im more than sure you will just end up breaking it you want my advice look online to buy a metal one it cost the same amount and wont break.
on February 16, 2013
This was a big disappointment. I've used stainless-steel mechanical frothers, but thought this would be good since it's glass and can go in the microwave. But it turns out it wasn't designed as a milk frother at all, but is in fact a Bodum coffee press, with the O-ring gasket around the plunger removed so it goes through the liquid with less pressure, and with just a bare glass beaker, no handle or protection. Aside from looking like a kludge (no handle, the missing gasket, and the spout which has the usual screen to strain out the coffee grounds---completely useless for pouring foamed milk), it has the serious defect that the plunger only extends to about an inch above the bottom of the beaker (to leave room for the coffee grounds!), leaving about 1/4 cup of milk that does not get frothed. Since I usually use about 1/4 cup of milk for my morning cappucino, this product will not work at all.

After seeing what this is, I decided to try using an old plastic french-press that I keep for travelling. Even though it has a tight seal for pressing coffee (has no O-ring to remove), it works great. And the plunger extends closer to the bottom, so I can froth my 1/4 cup of milk.

I was temped to call this item a "rip-off" rather than just a disappointment, since it is clearly not designed for its advertised purpose. But it does work, if you want to froth about a cup of milk and don't care if 1/4 of it doesn't get frothed. And if you were to buy the actual Bodum coffee press, and remove the O-ring and the handle to get an equivalent product, it would cost slightly more than they're charging for this, so "rip-off" seems too strong.
on December 11, 2014
This is the best milk frothed I have tried, and I have tried them all, and I use it many times a day. Two other types I tried had much more complicated plungers which, as a result, had more complicated problems and in the end were too much of a pain to use.

Get this one! Frothed 1% or 2% milk is fantastically delicious on fruit or cereal as well as coffee drinks. It has the mouth-feel of real cream but without the calories.
on January 16, 2009
The frother does a great job, produces nice thick foam, and is very easy to clean. I get the best results using nonfat milk, frothing it cold and then zapping it for 20 seconds or so in the microwave, then letting it sit a minute or two to thicken.

As noted by other reviewers, milk from the plunger rod does tend to leak out of the cap as you plunge up and down. I wrap a piece of paper towel around the plunger where it comes out of the hole on the cap, and that takes care of the problem. (This issue and the fact that the container doesn't have a handle so you need to use an oven glove to hold it when it's been microwaved took my review down from 5 stars to 4 stars.)

One reviewer said that dirty water got trapped in the cap and ran down into the froth. I have no idea what he/she means. There is no place in the cap for anything to get trapped, and why dirty water would be there anyway is anyone's guess--unless the reviewer washes dishes in a puddle of muddy water.

Both parts of the frother are dishwasher-safe (top rack). I use my frother daily but don't run my dishwasher every day, so I wash it by hand in hot water immediately after use and put it in the dishwasher whenever I run it. Every few days, while I'm drinking my morning coffee, I leave the plunger in a cup of hot water with some white vinegar added for 5 - 10 minutes so that no milk solids build up and turn sour in the mesh. (A friend had a similar frother years ago, didn't do this, and one day realized the mesh part smelled very bad and couldn't at that point be properly cleaned.)

Followup (Jan 2011): Some reviewers have complained about the fragility of the glass container. I was very careful with mine, but a month ago (one month short of two years after purchase), it broke. I picked it up one morning to fill it and the bottom fell out, having cracked in a complete circle. I still use the frother in a regular mug. Works fine.
review image
on January 9, 2013
I drink soy milk and love frothing the milk in this for my latte. About 10 pumps is all that is required to produce a nice, thick, froth that makes me look like I could be on the "got milk" commercial after taking a sip of my latte. I like to take the "chill" off the milk by microwaving it for10-30 seconds (depending on the quantity) in a microwave safe mug and then pouring the soymilk into the frother. Don't microwave the milk in the frother glass base, as it will break (I know from experience!). My sister has an espresso machine and goes to so much effort to froth her milk. I feel that the Bodum is so much more simpler and to be honest, I like the results better than her machine (she owns a *bucks brand). **FYI, regular soymilk makes a great froth as opposed to NF milk or even LF milk. You would have to use whole milk to get the same results as regular soymilk.
on June 5, 2009
When it comes to frothing milk, this milk frother certainly does the job well. Just a few plunges will give you nicely frothed milk. I also find that when pouring it out the milk separates nicely from the foam (I always take the plunger out). So, it does the job I bought it for quite well.

However, it has one serious flaw which makes me give it only two stars, namely that the lid is made out of two separate components which are not properly sealed. What this means is that when you froth your milk a little too vigorously the lid sucks this milk in. As there is no way of opening the lid, you can't really clean it, and instead you have it slowly leaking into your milk the next time you start plunging.

The same of course goes for water - if you put this thing into the dishwasher it comes out with the lid full of water - which again leaks out into any milk you are trying to froth as soon as you start plunging.

My solution to this has been to froth less vigorously and only wash it lightly by hand with running water (no soaking allowed!) - but even so, some water/milk does get into the lid so I usually wait several days in between using it to make sure it has dried out.

I see one other reviewer has mentioned this issue (and a possible solution - namely drilling holes into the bottom of the lid to allow it to drain- I might give that a try too).

Minor issues:
- The container is made out of very thin glass, so it will quickly become as hot as your milk, making it a bit hard to pour. This is nothing that a layer of a kitchen towel can't fix - but if you find this to be a big issue, then search for a model with a handle - or one made out of ceramic.
- The lid doesn't seal very well to the container, so sometimes during my vigorous frothing milk can spill out at the top. And no, I do not overfill the container, and yes, I do have the solid lip of the lid covering the spout - but it doesn't form a seal.

If it wasn't for the leaky lid collecting stale water and milk I would give this frother 4-5 stars and happily buy it as gifts for my friends. The minor issues I mentioned don't really bother me much - but having stale water/milk in my froth does. So next time when buying a frother, I'll be searching for a better design of the lid.
on May 11, 2015
I am a relatively new coffee drinker and first experienced using this type of product while visiting friends in Australia. I loved the frothed milk on my coffee there and now that I have purchased this product, I am enjoying my coffee with frothed milk at home too! It is easy to use and makes lots of delicious froth for my coffee. Clean up is also pretty easy too.
on March 3, 2013
I have used one of these for years and referred to it as my "magic milk frother". So easy. So great. Well, they have taken the magic out and this newer design stinks!!!! Too bad I bought two so I'd have a back up when I wore out the first one. Keeping the carafe, threw away the useless plunger and will froth in the carafe with one of the small battery operated frothers. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a saying for a good reason Bodum. Go back to older, and by far better, design.
on March 22, 2015
I love these Bodum Milk Frothers. I've bought several of them now, One for home, One for the office. One for my son's house when I'm visiting. One as a gift. They are so easy to use and produce the best frothed milk. I love that they are so simple and the container is all glass. And I've saved a fortune in making my own lattes at home and skipping the $5 trip to Starbucks.
on July 15, 2013
I've used better frothers made by the same manufacturer that I thought frothed a little better but I'm happy with this product overall. I recommend this product. It does the trick and completes my morning lattes.

See 1 answered question