5.0 out of 5 stars The best coffee this side of espresso
Published on October 22, 2002 by Susan Byers

1.0 out of 5 stars used to be good -- no more
Published on August 4, 2008 by M. Dickson

5.0 out of 5 stars The best coffee this side of espresso, October 22, 2002
Even if you find an espresso machine alluring, in the meantime, you can't beat coffee made with this elegant and perfectly functional press pot. It's simply the easiest and best way to extract maximum flavor from your finest beans (use a uniform grind slightly coarser than automatic drip). Some people even prefer it to espresso. It's durable, easy to clean, and doesn't require electricity.

One reviewer claimed they put the grounds and the water in the pot, immediately pushed the plunger and waited 10 minutes. However, they will get much better results if they wait 2-4 minutes (depending upon the coarseness of the grind) before plunging the coffee, and then drink it right away. I wouldn't even let the coffee rest, plunged, in the pot for ten minutes, as it will become over-extracted.

As for the reviewer that whined about truth in advertising, all I can say is "Duh". They themselves pointed out that the pot does make three espresso cups' worth of brew. And if they watch what they are doing next time, instead of just trying to pour 12 oz. of hot water into something, they can avoid future unpleasant experiences. I actually make coffee for two "cappuccinos" with this model. If you don't like your coffee as strong, you can simply add a little hot water to your cup after you have poured your coffee (like an Americano).

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who love Cafe Au Lait a great coffee press!, November 16, 2001
My sister bought this press for the house. This one works real well-- perfect for those coffee press users. Bodum is also a well known brand of coffee press, so you don't have to worry about a flimsy product. Also if it breaks, Bodum is pretty good with spare parts. As a comsumer, I always recommend you shop around for the best price.
When using a coffee press, or any other coffee machine, make sure you FRESHLY grind your coffee for optimal taste. I recommend all serious coffee drinkers to invest in a good burr grinder-- you really can taste the differnce. Also for a coffee press the ginds must be large and coarse in thickness, otherwise your pressed coffee will taste lousy-- do not use automatic drip sized grinds. I also recommend a quality dark/French roast when using a press.
Please note that this press makes 3 French-sized cups of coffee. In Paris cafes, you're served coffee in a press with a "bowl sized" cup half filled with steamed milk (Cafe Au Lait).

4.0 out of 5 stars a "cup" here equal 4 ounces, September 5, 2004
Marie (California) - See all my reviews
The person who chastised everyone's reading skills below, insisting that this is a "3-STEP (as in add grounds, add water, press) not 3-CUP" press, is incorrect, and apparently did not her/himself read the title (which does indeed say "3-CUP", NOT "3-STEP). It IS a "3-cup" press -- however, if you look around at the descriptions of various french presses found here, you will find that they all define a "cup" as 4 ounces. So, no, this 3-cup press, which is 12 ounces, is not going to brew enough coffee for 3 *mugs*. (And the 8-cup presses, which are 32 ounces, are not going to brew enough for 8 mugs.) The ones referred to as "3-cup" will brew about roughly mug's worth of coffee. This particular press is at least as good as any other I've used, which is to say very good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for one cup., November 12, 2004
Imelda (Noo Joisey) - See all my reviews
I purchased this as a 1-person coffeemaker because the other 2 coffee drinkers around here complained that I made coffee too strong. Although this is a 3-cup press (each cup = 4 oz, European standards, I suppose) it's really perfect for just one mug. I can almost fill my 14 oz travel mug, and I only ever drink one cup in the morning, so capacity is perfect for me. If you drink lots of mugs, don't get this!

I got one of these in a discount store for only a few dollars, which was a great bargain! Following the suggestion of 3 tablespoons of coarsely ground beans with 12 oz H2O, my coffee comes out as strong as I like it. There's sediment, but that doesn't bother me. Reminds me of Turkish coffee. Clean-up is a little more involved than with a drip maker, but I like the press coffee better, so that doesn't bother me either. The only thing that can truly bother me about coffee is when it isn't strong enough.

Of course, the coffee cools quite quickly if you leave it in the press too long, so I just pour it into the vacuum mug right away, where it stays at temp much longer.

Also, as a control freak, this brewing method is appealing because it allows me to boil the water to the exact temp it needs to be (yes, I use a thermometer. I did say I was a freak). I love this method of brewing coffee, but clean-up and sediment might not be OK with everyone.

Considering the price I paid, I give this 5 stars. It happens to match my coffee needs exactly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes great coffee, September 27, 2002
Diane E. Lowe (Los Angeles, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This coffee press is really nice for those of us that like espresso drinks but don't like paying $3.50 for a latte. You can vary the strength of your coffee and there's no danger of your espresso machine blowing up on you. You do have to be careful when you start pushing the press down, or else super-hot coffee will shoot out of the carafe.
The press is easy to use and requires minimal cleanup. The instructions want you to take apart the filter each time, but if you rinse it under some water and get the grounds out you should be OK. It also includes a scoop for the coffee.
The press is a little bit more time-consuming that going to the local Starbucks. For decent coffee, you need to wait about four minutes for it to brew. You will also need a plastic spoon to stir the water/coffee solution.
All in all, it's a lot of fun and roughly the same amount of work as a regular drip machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee!, April 2, 2003
This is an incredible tool for bringing out the very best out of good coffee. If you buy good coffee, this French press will only make it taste better. The construction feels solid, and the looks are great.
I bought this for those times when I am home alone, and don't want to make a full pot of coffee, and it's perfect for that. Now, I am finding myself making French pressed coffee even when I am not home alone! Be warned, however, that this particular press is VERY small. It is barely enough for one cup of coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb cup of coffee, September 5, 2002
Jane Avriette (Arlington, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
I'm quite the lover of good coffee, and I hadn't ever owned a coffee press until buying this particular item.
The use of it is simple. I keep coarsely ground coffee in a tupperware in the fridge at work. I pour two scoops into the bottom, pour hot water on top, and push the press down. Ten minutes later, out comes terrific pressed coffee.
The flavor is different than traditional drip-and-filter coffee makers, but difficult to describe; subtle and yet more full-bodied.
It really is a terrific cup of coffee. Note, that it is a single standard-mug sized cup of coffee. The "3-cup" title is ... misleading at best. However, it is really convenient to not have to brew an entire pot of coffee, and it is also very convenient to have a press for brewing a cup at work.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE CREME DE LA CREME OF COFFEE, July 3, 2002
Bodum stands for quality in function as well as design, which is certainly evident in our Bodum Chambord French Press Coffee Maker. Coffee is more than delicious and the preparation a breeze.
The coffee maker is attractive with a chrome plated steel top and trim. A black Bakelite handle provides a secure grip and is ergonomically friendly.
We'd recommend using a rather coarse grind of coffee as a fine grind may clog the filter, and stir with a plastic or wooden spoon rather than metal. Those two suggestions aside simply measure coffee, heat water and pour water over coffee in carafe. Let brew for about 3 - 4 minutes before using the pressing mechanism. Then, depress this mechanism slowly, and there you are - the best coffee this side of Paree.
You'll think it couldn't be any better, but next time add frothed milk (Bodum does make a superior frother) or a dash of whipped cream sprinkled with a small dash of cinnamon. Tres bien!
- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Cup of Coffee, April 19, 2003
By A Customer
I just got the 3-Cup Press today and I'm sitting here typing this review with my first cup of coffee made using it.
I love getting lattes from coffeshops but I've never been able to make one at home, until now. This coffee press does a great job of brewing an incredibly delicious cup of coffee!
And for jmpkep from CT who asked about the occasional coffee drinker: I'm like you- I drink coffee maybe once a week, not more than one or two cups. Conventional coffeemakers are usually too big & bulky & hard to clean for me. This works great. Cleanup is easy too- Just rinse it out, or handwash... I don't know if it's dishwasher-safe or not, but I'll be handwashing mine, just to be safe.

1.0 out of 5 stars used to be good -- no more, August 4, 2008
Alas, like so many other products, this one has become cheap and shoddy. I bought my first Bodum french press almost 20 years ago. It lasted that long with regular use, made good coffee, and became much loved in my house. A few weeks ago I bought a replacement -- same company, same size, same model -- and much to my disappointment, this thing is a piece of junk. The metal parts are flimsy and about half the time the grinds slip past the filter, as well as the ridiculous plastic filter at the top. I'm throwing it away. It is that useless.

Rate and Discover Movies