4.0 out of 5 stars Professional cookware for your kitchen
We already owned a stick blender (another brand made of all plastic), and used it to attempt to make whipped cream, puree broccoli soup and chop food into smaller pieces. But this one by Bodum is substantially better, both in build and power.

Pros:

Published on April 30, 2011 by :::DIGITAL BABE:::

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and underpowered
Published on May 17, 2011 by Stephen Cunningham

4.0 out of 5 stars Professional cookware for your kitchen, April 30, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Pros:

It is very comfortable for your hands and ergonomically well designed. The pieces are small, so it is not necessary to allocate unnecessary space. The cup has a non-skid area on the bottom, which keeps the contents in place. It also has a very long cord, which means, you can move the blender around the counter and into a pot, easier than our other stick blender. It has 2 speeds which makes it flexible for processing different substances and foods. This blender makes amazing frothed milk for coffee and we've made yummy milkshakes with it, too-even from frozen fruit; it had no trouble blending the fruit. Overall, it's a very slick looking and powerful.

Cons:

Unfortunately, though we love the power and ease of cleaning the stainless steel bottom part, it cannot easily be used in a non-stick pan (for fear of scratching the pan). It can also not be disassembled, as the handle and actual blender do not come apart. This may be a hindrance in storing it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and underpowered, May 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really wanted to be impressed with this stick blender. The Bodum brand made me think sleek and sexy.. In reality, I find the blender to be very clumsy to use, with an oversized grip. I have used a Cuisinart brand, and find it to be more powerful and easier to hold and operate. I also have issues with quality control and Bodum Customer Service. The blender was supposed to come with 3 attachments, as indicated in the manual. (I say "manual" loosely, since it's a booklet of 72 pages, translated into 11 languages... with the mandatory safety disclaimers, you get 3 pages of somewhat useful information.) The attachments included are a multiblade, a beater, and a whisk, none of which look anything like you would suppose. Upon unpacking the unit, I determined that I had two beaters (flat smooth disks) and NO whisk. I called Bodum Customer Service, and got a recording, indicating that I should send an email. OK. I did that, and never heard a reply. I called a week later, and got the same recording. Needless to say, I have not been able to use the whisk, since it didn't come with the blender. All in all, I am seriously underwhelmed with the Bodum Bistro Blender Stick Set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it -- powerful, versatile, useful, May 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am comparing this new Bodum Bistro to an old Braun 4172 hand blender that I have had and used for years now. The Braun has one, fixed chopping blade, runs at one speed, and is 120 watts.

This Bodum blender is a step up from the Braun. It runs at 180 watts, has two speeds and three different detachable blades. The chopping blade works the same as the Braun, for chopping ice, pureeing foods (great for baby food), smoothies, etc. Their wisk blade (with the little holes cut in it) will whip mashed potatoes. The beater makes thick, milk foam (even with skim milk!) or whipped cream for your coffee or hot chocolate, and will beat eggs, meringue, etc. Just one criticism and that is the blade changing feature -- you pry off the blade with a metal tool they give you. I can imagine maybe improving that with a button or something that would not require an extra tool that could get lost.

The Braun has lasted a long time and still works fine. But this Bodum will replace the Braun and add some extra features to boot. The only question is how long it will last, which only time will tell, but I will chance it and give the Braun to a friend and keep the Bodum.

Update: Jan 2015 -- the motor in this has begun to flicker and bog down - even with as little use as I give it (maybe 10 times per year). I am afraid there is a short or a wiring problem inside. With no way to open it up, I may have to throw it out. I will contact Bodum to see if it's under warranty, but I doubt it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Bodum Bistro Electric Handheld Immersion Stick Blender, Orange (Kitchen)
I bought this to mix smoothies with. Just powder, water and ice. I used it maybe 10 times in the last four months and it stopped working. Not worth the price I paid for it. I would not recommend anyone to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels great in your hand and is powerful, June 23, 2011
Jish M. (San Francisco Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This product doesn't feel plastic-y or cheap, it has a nice solid feel and ergonomically it fits into my hand quite nicely. There are some really nice touches on this product that show it has a well-thought design ... for example, the bottom of the cup has a rubber-y surface to prevent slippage. It's quite powerful, but you do need to chop up items a bit in advance and can't run it for extended periods (manual even mentions that it could overheat).

The only downsides I have to this are twofold: cord is a bit too short for my taste (and my kitchen) and also I wish it was easier to store this item. Aside from that, I recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Tool - good for milkshakes, July 27, 2011
Myra "Ignolopi" (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before getting this blender, I had only used a handheld blender once. I wasn't really sure what to use it for, but I thought once I had it I would find uses for it.
Well, I found one use for it that I quite enjoy - milkshakes.

When making milkshakes, usually about once a month, I would use my cheap $60 blender, which took a while and probably wasn't good for the health of the machine. With this handheld blender, I can make a shake in about 20 seconds (for about 2 servings). Every time I use it I worry about splatter, but the design handles that beautifully and I haven't spilled a drop while blending.

I've also used the handheld blender with spice blends (moderate success) and salad dressings (great success). I haven't needed to change the blades yet, but I hope to start integrating this tool into my regular kitchen activities and find uses for each of the blades.

I've run the cup/lid through the dishwasher with success (cleaning the blender itself is a little more difficult: the blades come off, but neither the cord or the metal stick are removable).

I took a star off for the size (it is a little clumsy to use) and the price. But this handy tool has really grown on me and I am happy to own it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I got a bad one., June 18, 2012
2MuchTime (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
Mine vibrated badly and was very loud. After a few uses it started oozing black slime into whatever I was making. White milk foam started becoming grey because of the ooze. It does have some nice features but the black ooze is not acceptable. Without the ooze and the vibration I think I would give it four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful little thing, June 11, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So far, I've been using this as a handheld mixer. I cook everyday and that's what it will mostly be used for in my home. Next time we make smoothies and I use the blend option, I will update the review if necessary.

As far as mixing, this is a powerful little thing. It mixes quickly and efficiently. My husband learned the hard way to make sure it's off before lifting it out of the bowl though. He had a nice little mess in my kitchen while making up the dip for French toast. It did take me a minute to figure out which piece was for mixing, blending, etc., as they are just small pieces that you attach to the end of the stick, but that's just because I'm used to having one appliance for each thing and with these pieces being so small, they look different than what I'm used to. The attachments are easy to get on and off and clean up was a breeze. So far, I have nothing but positive things to say about it. I hope it stays that way!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun and handy tool for your kitchen, May 18, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've never been a fan of tools that I can't use for everything. I like blenders that I can use for all sorts of things, so I usually avoid tools like this mixer.

However, this one has won me over. In the time that I've had it I've made smoothies, pureed vegetables and I tried beating scrambled eggs with it. The scrambled eggs were a bit of a mess, not my highest recommendation. Everything else turned out wonderfully. The blender is lightweight, easy to use, and easy to clean. The different heads snap on and off quickly and easily. The little beaker that it comes with is handy to use, and the silicone top fits snugly on for a great seal to use when storing things in the fridge.

The only downside to the mixer is the cord is a little shorter than I would prefer, but if you have a normal kitchen this shouldn't be a problem. If you have a kitchen like me, with only 1 inconveniently placed outlet, then it might be a bit of a pain.

Otherwise, a great handheld blender, useful for all your handheld blending needs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Handy Kitchen Appliance [Update: Conked Out After Two Years of Infrequent Use], April 29, 2011
MyBeesWax "A Music Fan" (The Heart of the Golden State) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
[Update 2013-07-07]
The Bodum Bistro Blender finally conked out after two years of very infrequent use (about 1-5 times a month). The handle got quite hot on the last use (after two minutes of blending). I thought nothing of it and cleaned and put it away. The next time I picked it up and turned it on I found out it had stopped working. It was dead. The motor must have burned out. Such a shame -- just when I was starting to use it more frequently too (I had just started a workout regime and as a protein supplement, I started drinking milk mixed with whey protein everyday. The Bodum helped me mix milk and whey protein way faster than I can by hand, and cleaning up the Bodum was simply a matter of a quick rinse under tap water). Star rating downgraded from 4 to 2.
[End Update]

-- Original Review Follows --

The 180-Watt, 2-speed Bodum Bistro Handheld Immersion Blender comes with 3 stainless steel attachments (multiblade, beater, whisk) for chopping, puréeing, blending, mixing, whisking, and mashing.

It is a quick and convenient tool for making salad dressing, salsa, mashed potatoes, pesto sauce, fruit smoothies, pudding, soup, mayonnaise, meringue, whipped cream, and other culinary delectables. The blender does have a couple of limitations. It does not come with a dedicated chopper attachment, so the ingredients to be chopped need to first be diced into smaller pieces. It also doesn't crush ice. -1 star.

Despite the limitations, the blender is still a handy appliance to have in your kitchen. It takes up very little room and cleanup is a snap! I'm looking forward to using it on a regular basis for making smoothies.