Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bodum Pavina Double Wall Glass, 12-Ounce, Set of 2
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Material Type: Glass|Size: 12 oz.|Change

on July 18, 2012
I've broken at least 20 glasses so far.

But, does that stop me from ordering more?

Oh, HELL no!

Once you use these glasses, you're spoiled forever.

But...do NOT hold these glasses under the refrigerator ice dispensor...the falling ice will break the glass.

Do NOT let anyone touch your glass because they will put the glass down on the counter top the wrong way and it will break.

Never, ever, leave your glass where someone can touch it because they will break the glass just by looking at it.

When you are done using the glass...hand wash the glass and hide it where no one knows where it is because .....if somone sees the glass on a shelf, it will break instantly.

I love these glasses and I order two boxes at a time.

I always have a spare locked away....
99 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
I've owned Bodum Pavina glasses for a little over a year now. I started out with 6 12 ounce cups and 4 of the 8 ounce cups. I am left with 4 of the 12 ounce cups and 2 of the 8 ounce cups. We hand wash these cups only based on the reviewers stating the rubber seal on the bottom of the cup doesn't survive the dish washer. Also, if these break, I don't need to spend the afternoon picking glass out of my dishwasher.

At about $10 a piece, I am disappointed in how easily they break. I've had normal cheapy wal-mart glasses break - IF THEY WERE DROPPED ON THE FLOOR! :P When these break we often were left scratching our heads as to why they were broken. I think my wife dropped one while she was washing it from a height of about 4-6 inches in the sink and it cracked. One of the 8 ounce cups I pulled out of the cupboard and discovered a small crack had formed at the top rim of the glass. At the time, I still drank from it (being careful to drink from the side opposite the crack) and then threw the glass away knowing that it would likely continue to crack and break - just wasn't worth the risk ending up with broken glass in my mouth. The others, I don't recall what happened. None were dropped to the floor, however.

So, after about a year, a 33% break rate. My wife doesn't really care for them, so I'm the only one who uses them. I think she's too afraid of breaking them.

What they do have going for them is they keep my coffee hot to the last sip. I preheat the glass before I put my coffee in it using hot water and letting it sit for a minute or so. The glass (and the air gap) absorbs the heat from the water so that when I put my coffee in the glass, none of the heat from the coffee is lost to warm up the glass. I do believe this is important, and I do the same for any cup or mug I use for a hot drink.

I don't have experience with an older version of this glass that didn't have the silicone seal on the bottom. I don't personally find this to be a problem. Yes, the glass gets slightly warm to the touch. However, I believe that the heat lost through the glass is negligible when you consider that most of the beverage's heat is lost out the top of the glass anyways. I would say maybe 2% of the heat is lost THROUGH the glass and 98% of heat is lost out the top of the glass. In the grand scheme of things, how much does the heat loss through the glass matter?

Overall, I like the glasses for what I use them for. I just wish they wouldn't break so often. I ask you, would you wad up a perfectly good $10 bill and throw it in the trash? No. Every time one of these breaks, that's exactly what it feels like. However, as long as I have these, I won't use anything else for my coffee.
on September 20, 2014
Best glasses out there, but read the manufacturer instructions on how to clean and preserve them. I've broken them about once every 2 years.

From the manufacturer:
-- don't drop ice into them first. put the liquid in first
-- don't use automatic ice dispensers on them. put the ice in by hand (see above)
-- don't use metal spoons (bamboo teaspoons are hip now anyway)
-- handwash, or if you machine wash, top rack them and leave SPACE around them.

they're also a bit slippery with wet hands, so i've broken a few just by going a little too fast when i wash dishes at the sink.

why do I put up with their fragility? because it's the coolest design and they work so very well in keeping hot hot and cold cold.

it just looks so beautiful to drink from them, i put up with the rest.

deep
on December 31, 2012
I'm writing out of sheer frustration. I have just broken my 7th or 8th double wall glass of various sizes, and will not buy another. The last one broke when my hand slipped while closing a zip-lock bag.

I have enjoyed them all; they kept the drink temperature stable, and they were very light. The larger glass sizes were too bulky for my wife to hold comfortably, but they were fine for me. I would like a thinner lip, but that is not a deterrent. I would rate the glasses at a 5 or 4 for drink quality and comfort, but at zero for sustainability.

They are simply too fragile. One broke while sitting on a table with a cold drink in it, and the others were all knocked over sooner or later. There are no kids or animals in the house, so I did all the damage. There is no hope when one falls to the floor, but these will break even when only tipped over on the counter.

And they're an accident waiting to happen. Nearly all the double wall designs have a small bottom, so they're more likely than other glasses to fall over. I have replaced my large glasses with a double-wall plastic container, which is unbreakable. For coffee I have gone back to my old cup, made of sturdier, single-wall glass. And I'll keep my eye open for a double wall plastic cup. Unbreakable.
on April 5, 2015
bought these at Sur La Table to go along with new Nespresso machine. After 1st use there is small amount of coffee between the 2 walls. Must have a tiny indiscernible crack or hole from the manufacturing process. Can't get the fluid out, which looks bad and one of the reasons I bought them was for the looks. Company needs to step up their quality control big time.
review image
on May 25, 2016
I've used these and the similar and preferable ones with handles for years. Despite what people say, they do NOT break that easy. I broke two over the course of five years (I dropped one on the kitchen floor and the other in the sink). I put them in the dishwasher all the time with NO problem. I dispense ice into them from my refrigerator with NO problem. I set them down on my quartz counter top all the time with NO problem. The advantage of these glasses is that you can put a very hot liquid in them but only feel slight warmth on the outside.
on February 4, 2016
Beautiful, elegant, modern -- gorgeous to look at when a liquid is inside, lattes with whipped cream especially, however it has one fatal flaw: If you *drop* one of these things, it *will* explode, like a glass grenade. You're in for hours of fun playing Mojang's new glass-sweeper game with a broom, vacuum, flashlight, and pair of tweezers.

That said, it's totally still worth it. Holds heat well and is fantastic to look at. Ordering some more because I accidentally two cups. :)
on February 19, 2016
I use these glasses as my everyday teamug and cannot accept anything else. The double-wall does a really good job of insulating and keeping warm liquids warm for a longer period of time than ceramics do. They are also very aesthetically pleasing and having them be entirely transparent really allows you to see the color of your liquid--something important for those of us who use that to judge when your brew is ready.

That said, these are fragile as heck, and that is the only thing keeping them from getting 5 stars from me. Every other reviewer has made some mention of them breaking easily, and I will confirm that these are not exaggerations. However, as long as you handle them carefully and don't knock them over or drop them, they will last quite a long time. I've destroyed two of them in the span of a year and a half due to my own periodic clumsyness, so if you are looking for something more durable then maybe you should stay away.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 5, 2016
I got these to be able to see the coffee/foam layers for my cappuccinos. As soon as I tried my first hot drink, I immediately placed an order for another set. The glass kept my coffee hotter for so much longer, and I don't need to use my coasters! I see a little bit of condensation near the bottom silicone plug, but nowhere enough to damage my desk/furniture. I suppose these are fragile from reading other reviews, but I'm afraid I'll be buying more in the future if they break.
on August 26, 2015
I loved HurricanePaul's review but frankly I am amazed at the reviews and comments on these glasses--I bought a 6-pack of these back in April 2012 when you could still get them that way for $39.99, and I still have all 6. I use them every day for my coffee and sometimes for cold drinks--I can't attest to the ice thing, since I usually use a larger glass for iced drinks. My teenaged son has used these for his drinks, and they are still intact. I have set them down too hard on the silestone counter and winced-but they were fine, I have used my electric frother thingy in them, and they were fine, I have stirred drinks with a metal spoon in them, they were fine, banged them around in the metal sink, they were fine, and they go through my dishwasher pretty much every day, fine. Now three and a half years later, they still look brand new, and still do the job. I thought they were pricey when I bought them, and they are even more now that you don't get the "buy four get two free" set up, but mine have been worth every single penny!