4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Tea Set (Glass + Infuser)
Published on July 28, 2010 by David A. Lessnau

3.0 out of 5 stars Great infuser, but far more delicate than it feels.
Let me first say that I really did enjoy this product. The infuser is far easier to clean than the previous stainless steel infuser I had in the past. The glass feels quite sturdy, but this is where the problem arises. I had the set for a day before breaking it.

Published on July 18, 2010 by M. Michon

3.0 out of 5 stars Great infuser, but far more delicate than it feels., July 18, 2010
M. Michon (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bodum YoYo Personal Tea Set with Infuser and 12-Ounce Glass (Kitchen)

I was one of those people who read the reviews and said "There's no way I'll be clumsy enough to break this." Sure enough all it took was the handle of another mug tapping it slightly in the sink and the outer shell of the glass broke off.

Overall a very beautiful product, and I'll be using the infuser in other mugs for quite some time, but be very careful when washing the glass. Definitely not as strong as you'd expect for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Tea Set (Glass + Infuser), July 28, 2010
From what I can make out, this Bodum YoYo Double Wall Glass Personal Tea Set seems to be a combination of one of the 12-ounce glasses from the Bodum Pavina 12-Ounce Double-Wall Thermo Cooler/Beer Glass, Set of 2 and the Bodum New YoYo Stainless Steel Tea Infuser with Lid. If so, then that provides the option to buy replacements (or extra glasses) if needed. Also, it might be worthwhile to keep an eye on the prices of the individual items to see if it might be cheaper to make your own set. Anyway, this is a nice tea "set." Everything is well-made and is easily used and cleaned. I do have some quibbles with the set, though:

- From other reviews and from the official write-up, the glass is some kind of "lightweight, thermal, borosilicate glass; 2-layer construction resists heat and prevents condensation." But, to me, it feels a bit like plastic. It looks and acts very nice, though.
- The glass might be too big and rounded for people with smaller hands. I like it just fine. But, my wife says it's a bit hard to hold.
- The infuser's holes are big enough to let fine tea particles through. It's not that much of a problem though, since the glass' shape is such that the loose particles drop down into the rounded bottom and stay out of the way until you get to the very last drop.

So, minor as those are, I'll have to drop my rating for this set to "just" a Very Good 4 stars out of 5. Still recommended, though.

EDIT (01/17/11): Just a note that the glass only lasted 6 months. My wife slid it across the counter into the wall and broke it. I was going to replace it with another set (as linked to, above). But, after reading the reviews for just those glasses, I found that that there are a lot of complaints of fragility there. So, instead, I'm just using the standard mugs we have around the house that are just about the same size. I really liked that glass. But, it's just too fragile (and too expensive to replace). The infuser is still very good, though. So, unless you just have to have the glass, I'd recommend buying just the infuser (see my link, above).

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional simplicity, September 24, 2008
Bodum's 12-ounce double wall glass is just what you need to keep your tea, or any hot beverage, HOT, without burning your fingers. The borosilicate glass is ultra smooth, seamless, and a pleasure to drink from. The stainless steel tea infuser is a snap to clean - just rinse under running water and wipe dry. The lid doubles as a handy drip catcher. The handblown construction is simple, elegant and visually stimulating, making your tea time a delight for all the senses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tea Steeper, May 29, 2011
Do not listen to all the reviewers that whine about the Bodum double walled glassware, including the glass that comes with this setup, is defective and here's why. First, anyone with an ounce of common sense can tell this is a delicate piece of glass (hand-blown by the way, no two are the same). Secondly if any of these people had bothered to read the included lit. that comes with every piece of Bodum, which I doubt, they would have seen that the manufacturer tells you it is delicate. It says do not drop ice cubes in them, do not use metal spoons in them and try not to bump them against anything. If you do not think that something this delicate is for you then be smart and by all means do not buy these products, they will break. If you don't mind being a little extra careful, do yourself a favor, spend a few extra dollars on this stuff, you won't be sorry. I have been using Bodum products for years, and they are every bit as bright and crystal clear as the day I bought them. Sure I have broken some, but that was my own fault. But if you're one of those who cannot be bothered to read a few simple paragraphs (and this reminds me of all those who would not read the instructions on how to set the time on their VCR's, I made a fortune on doing it for those types who were too lazy to read) stay away!
And by the way, if you enjoy a real tea made from real tea leaves, this set is second to none in steeping an individual cup of tea. And the double walled Bodum glass that comes along with the package will keep your beverage hot twice as long as anything else out there. Just be careful with this and it will give you a lifetime of enjoyment!

Update:
Other reviewers are right about the holes in the strainer being on the large size. I mainly drink Earl Gray, so that's not a problem for me, but I could see how some smaller leaves could get through. If I may suggest a no cost alternative to correct this problem, tie a piece of cheesecloth on the outside of the strainer with some butchers string. When finished steeping, remove the cloth keeping the top of the sides pinched or twisted shut and squeeze the rest of the trapped flavor into your drink. May be an extra step, but at least you don't have to replace the unit, and you will still get all your flavors. Other than that I still stand by my original review and incidentally I recently moved to another state and this survived the move just fine. Just took a little extra care when wrapping it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the mesh infuser model instead of this one, March 2, 2011
I really loved having this tea-for-one glass/infuser. It's really convenient, however the infuser itself has a major flaw. The holes are too big. When I brewed roobios, or peppermint tea a lot of the leaves would escape through the holes and I'd have to spoon them out after it was done brewing, which can be very tedious. If you are using this just for oolong, green, or black tea it's not a problem. (Though some green teas like genmaicha which can have lots of particles can be a problem too)

Bodum sells this same product but with a mesh infuser instead of a metal one, which I highly recommend over this model for the reasons mentioned above. Also you don't have to worry about the infuser rusting (mine started to rust a little towards the end, even though I cleaned and dried it fairly well).

The only other complaint I have was how long this particular item took to arrive in the mail.

Flaws aside, it's a good and convenient way to brew tea!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not for green tea., March 3, 2010
kitty pinkerton (SantaMonica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of the double wall glasses. It keeps my tea warm for hours. I fell in love with the looks of the stainless steel infuser and ordered this product. The lid that can also be used as a holder for the strainer is great. The only issue is that the holes on the strainer are too large to hold the green tea leaves. If you drink green tea, like Japanese Sencha which has finer leaves, I will look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the glass. The infuser holes are too big., November 11, 2011
Steve (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
The title sums it up. While I love the glass (although I'm positive it's only a matter of time till I break it), the infuser is not as useful.

The metal the infuser was constructed with is flimsy (bent it almost immediately), though that doesn't really bother me because I can bend it right back. The bigger problem is that the holes (while fairly small) are still too big. So far, the best tea infuser I've purchased has been the Teavana Perfect Tea Cup Strainer. It's very solid, works perfectly with the Bodum glass, is constructed of more rigid metal and has the smallest holes of any infuser I've seen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, December 17, 2010
First what this does wrong, the infuser has holes that are a shade too large. Letting finer teas get past it pretty easily. Very thin glass, I don't trust anything but hand washing this thing. Losses heat faster than a standard mug does. I did side by side comparisons with a digital thermometer.

What it does right, infuser comes with a little stainless rest so it doesn't leak all over your desk. It looks really nice. Fit and finish is good. Sides get just the right amount of warm for your hands and is very comfortable to hold.

If this was ten bucks it'd be 5 stars.

As it stands I could only recommend this if you wanted your coffee/tea mug to look cooler than your coworkers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just say no to tea bagging!, November 11, 2010
Beth Avery (gunnison, co United States) - See all my reviews
Tea just doesn't get the respect that is afforded coffee in American offices. Unless you are willing to use tea bags, the logistics can be daunting.

The Bodum YoYo Personal Tea set with Infuser and 12-ounce glass has made my office tea drinking much more pleasant.

The mug feels nice in my hand, and the insulated double wall mug keeps the tea warm for quite some time. The mug is easy to clean also.

The strainer has worked fine for all the teas I've used with it - a range of English, Indian and Chinese teas. There is, at times, a bit of sediment in the bottom of the mug, but not so much that it is objectionable.

The strainer is easy to clean, I just upend it over a trash can and tap it against the rim of the trash can - the old leaves tumble out. I made a cup of light green tea after a cup of Lapsang Souchoung and didn't notice any residual smokiness. Complete cleanings are a but more of a chore for someone with large fingers, but that is rarely necessary.

If the worst happened and I broke my mug, I'd order another right away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, January 30, 2009
I was looking at this set for about two weeks at Starbucks and finally purchased it. Glad I did. It keeps tea hot without burning your hands. I love to drink my tea in cups without handles so that is a plus!

Rate and Discover Movies