4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Minor Improvement Needed
Published on November 26, 2010 by Flourish Girl

The manufacturer commented on the review below
3.0 out of 5 stars MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FEE_$6.95
to get full benefits of device there is a monthly subscription fee of almost $7___i haven't found that highlighted in any of the recent reviews_ so just be aware= you may benefit from a less expensive device if you don't want all the info that this device would provide via the subscription fee.

i also noticed this comes with a free 3 month subscription_ costco...
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Minor Improvement Needed, November 26, 2010
This review is from: BodyMedia LINK Armband Weight Management System (Health and Beauty)
I have had my new BodyMedia BW for several days now. Unfortunately, I tried to pre-order it on Amazon but was one of many who were told it would take 1-3 weeks to ship on the release date. Bummer. I ended up ordering it directly from BodyMedia instead. I am a Mac user and initially needed to download one driver for the unit from the BM site and then Java to get the Activity Manager to work from Safari. None of these items will work with Firefox, but not a big deal. Overall, a very easy set-up that only took 10 minutes even with the downloads.

I find that wearing the unit is very comfortable so far for the entire day and while sleeping. I remove it to sync and shower. It is also comfortable under clothes.

Syncing with my iPhone is relatively easy. Just one push on the unit while the app is open and my phone and the most recent calorie/step count/activity data will be displayed within the app. One minus though, once your phone times out to conserve battery you lose your Bluetooth connection and must complete the sync again. Not a big deal, but it could be improved. The capabilities of the app are more limited to the on-line AM, but I am hoping in time it will be upgraded.

You must use the USB cord to officially download/sync your unit to the Activity Manager (website based). You cannot yet do so with the Bluetooth capability of your computer. Another bummer, but possibly will improve in time. Also, be aware that your food input and calorie information on your phone will not automatically appear on-line within the AM, you must do a hard-line sync with the USB. Another little minus, but again minor. One the plus side, current data from the on-Line AM WILL immediately update into your app.

I have seen some comments where people are not happy with the AM food list and search capabilities for tracking calorie intake. I have used Spark People, LiveStrong, and the Lose It! app for iPhone and I am so far generally pleased with the on-line food list (as well as the app). In addition, entering my own food is very easy and the nutritional input area is very user friendly if you are into the details like I am.

So far, I am very surprised at how accurate the activity and sleep data is. It is exciting to see the spikes from a vigorous workout, but even walking up a few flights of stairs will show as a quick "spike", confirming that you did something more than your baseline. It also reflects long periods of sitting or laying down...need to keep those to a minimum :)

The Activity Manager interface is well laid out and shows general numbers and charting. Overall, polished and easy to use.

I also wanted to add that the customer service for BM has been satisfactory. This company appears to be trying very hard to make all of us new users (and current users) happy with our devices. There is also a Facebook page where the customer service reps will answer questions and are very responsive to users. This has helped me to learn more about the device and answer more questions. They also list promotions for sales from the BM website and discuss releases for other retailers where the unit is available.

One last downside...the price. At the current rate of two-fifty for a unit they are not cheap. Certainly more than I wanted to spend, but for the motivation is worth it for many users struggling to really get a grasp on the calorie-out part of the weight loss/maintenance equation.

***UPDATE***
I have been using this unit now for about 6 weeks, and I continue to be satisfied. The biggest surprise for me has been that I needed to INCREASE my caloric intake when my weight plateaued for two weeks. I was able to run a detailed report from the data that has been collected over several weeks and it was clear that I had too large of a calorie deficit each day. Show me another weight loss/health product that can do THAT! The reports are a great tool. A recent update to the iPhone app has just been released as well which fixes some bugs and adds to the utility of the app's use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate but has its flaws, August 21, 2013
I ordered the armband back in March and after 5 months of usage, I wanted to share my feedback. First, I think this unit delivers on its promise of accurate measurements of calorie expenditure and step counts. My wife has a Fitbit flex and I've spoken with users of other devices and they are toys compared with this.

I do workouts on a treadmill and will do identical routines for a period of time so it's easy to compare step counts and calories burned. My step counts only vary between .5 and 1% on a 9000+ step workout, which is pretty amazing. I also recently saw a video review where the author did a similar test to Bodymedia, comparing the Fit to a hospital O2 machine. The result: bodymedia was 95% accurate to the 40k device.

Now to the downsides. First, I disagree with users that say the device is comfortable. I realize this is a very personal thing, but I definitely know I'm wearing it on certain days. It also catches on clothes when taking off a shirt, etc. I also have developed blisters on my arm from daily usage. I've read this can be due to putting the device on damp skin (i.e., after a shower). So I now try to wait a good couple of hours after showering to wear it. I've also taken to switching arms, even though this is not sanctioned by Bodymedia. I've found it's still pretty accurate.

It just seems that some discomfort is the price you pay for the accuracy of the device. Hopefully future incarnations will be more comfortable.

One final comment: I'm amazed at the negative reviews based on the monthly fee. It's not as if Bodymedia is hiding this. People never take personal responsibility for anything these days. They buy a device without more than a glance at the product then give a 1 star review and blame the manufacturer for their clearly stated policy. If you buy this device and have no idea you have to pay a fee, it's no one's fault but your own.

I, myself, bought the device with the first year subscription fee waived, and I'm guessing I'll be getting a new device by the time the year is up.

Overall, this is a very accurate if not super comfortable device, and it delivers. My weight loss (90 lbs in 6 months) was greatly aided by its use.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FEE_$6.95, December 20, 2012

i also noticed this comes with a free 3 month subscription_ costco is selling there's with a free 12 month subscription- that's 9 months at $7 per = $63 value.

please click if this was helpful to you- thanx

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 2, 2013 10:12:26 AM PST
Hi Angel_Boy,

Thanks for taking the time to review the BodyMedia FIT. Yes, the subscription for the Activity Manager allows our customers to seamlessly and invisibly install updates to their devices and our apps without the hassle of having to manually download updates all the time. This allows us to give you the most up to date version of our Activity Manager at all times.

Thanks again. Hope you had a great holiday!

- Laurie

5.0 out of 5 stars I upgraded from this one to the Core because it's smaller, but they both measure the same: Comparison to Fitbit & Jawbone, April 3, 2014
I find the marketing for the Bodymedia or "Bodybugg" to be pretty horrible because they don't really tell you the difference. I was a fitness and weight loss coach a few years ago when I first got one though and was well aware of the difference.

I just recently updated my device to the Bodymedia Core (check their site too because they have specials like a free display sometimes) and I see the marketing still doesn't explain the difference so I thought I would.

Having recently gotten my new Bodymedia I thought I'd first touch on the difference between the Core (the new Bodymedia) and their old bands--way smaller, shaped better to fit the arm, now in grey rather than black, lighter.

Okay so then what's the difference between that one and the fitbit or jawbone?

The Bodymedia armband is the most accurate way to measure calories burned outside of a hyperbolic chamber. A Fitbit and Jawbone are basically a pedometer and guesstimate. This is why the Bodymedia bands are what you see on the arms of the Biggest Loser contestants--only way to get a real read.

Why? Here is how they measure your caloric burn:

Bodymedia AKA Bodybugg: Determines caloric burn via 5 measurements:
1) accelerometer, 2) heat flux, 3) galvanic skin response, 4) skin temperature, 5) near body temperature. When comparing calorie expenditure measurements from the armband device to calorie expenditure measurements in a metabolic chamber (the "gold standard" of calorie expenditure measurement), the bodybugg or Bodymedia armband achieved average accuracy rates of 92%.

Fitbit and Jawbone determines caloric burn via number of steps you take and an altameter meaning seeing if you go up or down stairs. That's it. It's a pedometer and they base ALL caloric burn on that ALONE. If you are doing a wicked workout and sweating like mad it doesn't know. It does know if you are jumping up and down but not how your body is responding. It doesn't know if your feet are planted on the floor but you are ironing, or lifting heavy boxes or something else that burns calories but the Bodymedia does. The Bodymedia device is measuring how much you sweat, how your skin reaction changes, the pedometer as well, etc. So you get an accurate read even if what you are doing isn't going up and down the stairs. The Fitbit and Jawbone can't do that so it estimates a burn based upon your age, weight, and height that you put into it while the BodyMedia is actually accurately measuring the calorie outbut like a hyperbolic chamber does. So how accurate is the fitbit and jawbone for measuring caloric burn? They won't publish this. They state that is has 95% accuracy in measuring how many STEPS you have taken. That means nothing as far as real caloric burn. Especially if you do cardio or go biking etc. The Bodymedia accurately measures your steps but also accurately measures everything else you do that burns calories, and that's the difference. Not guessing based upon your weight and height but knowing your body and it's response so even if you have more fat or muscle than the "average" person your age and weight and height, it still measures your burn accurately. BIG difference.

How it's worn: The Bodymedia is worn on your arm, at the triceps, to gather data. The others can be clipped places, worn on wrist, etc because it's not measuring your skin temp, sweat amount etc. anyway.

Looks: Jawbone and Fitbit are better looking and come in colors, but the Bodymedia can be hidden under your sleeve too although I don't care if it shows personally. I even wear it to work with a sleeveless top. I'm happy to share what it does if someone asks.

What all this means:

There is no debate in the fact that it takes a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose one pound. Meaning that you have to burn 3,500 more calories than you take in to lose a pound. If you are at the Biggest Loser ranch you might do that in a day. If you are not, it may take a half of a week or a week or a month or more depending upon your activity level and your diet. The more accurate your device is, the more you know exactly where you are in that goal to motivate you. But you really ought to track your food as well. However, even if you are not tracking your food, you can be motivated to move by seeing a day when your caloric burn is currently lower than normal. It is like having a personal trainer ON your body at all times. When you are sitting on the couch and look down at your display device on the Bodymedia (which you will want to have and I'll get to why that is in a minute) and it's reading a low amount of calories burned, you might start waving your feet and arms, or get up and do jumping jacks or get up and start sweeping the floor while you watch TV.

It pays for itself in how it motivates you to move--it's like getting a free maid with the service.

One negative about the Bodymedia as compared to the other two is that you do have to pay just over 6 bucks a month for a subscription website service to track it all, although the first 3 months are free. But there honestly are not any other accurate devices unless you want to pay a mortgage for a hyperbolic chamber (what is used in scientific weight loss tests if they are not using the Bodymedia which many do now--but that's the only thing that measures more accurately than the Bodymedia)

But when I bought my first Bodybugg/Bodymedia 5 years or so ago it was about $600. Now it's under $100 so to me the website subscription is small potatoes.

In 2005 the Bodybugg was rated the best advancement in Science award by Popular Science magazine as the device that would most greatly affect health and fitness. Jawbone and Fitbit have not been noticed as anything--because pedometers simply measure steps.

To be fair, Fitbit was recognized as an honoree (rather than the winner) in good design in 2009 by Consumer Electronics--not in accuracy or scientific results but design. But still, I won't overlook it.

Have I used them all? Yes. I am a sucker for any new fitness gadget as my reviews over the years have shown.

Do I think the website is most important? No. Peeps, all you need to know is your calorie output and your calorie input. Sure, all 3 devices track your sleep and that's important too but no weight loss coach, doctor, or personal trainer will disagree that a deficit of 3,500 calories equals a pound lost of fat.

So how do I personally track my own? Tap and Track Pro on my iphone to count my caloric intake. I can actually just wave my phone over a barcode and put in one serving or two and it record my calories if I eat a prepared meal and I can input things individually if I cook my own and have it accurately record how many calories that is and it has every random food you can think of. EVERY. Because if someone else who uses it inputs a food it stays recorded.

So it does my caloric intake more accurately than any of the above sites in my opinion.

And because the Bodymedia tracks calories more accurately, that is how I measure my caloric output.

Did the jawbone or fitbit measure my caloric burn accurately? Not even close. Measuring every morsel put into my mouth, I would either lose a pound before it reached the 3,500 caloric deficit count or I wouldn't lose a pound when it did. It never got it right. When I show a deficit of 3,500 calories on the Bodybugg BOOM, step on the scale, pound lost every time.

If I did activities that were not walking but made me sweat, the fitbit and jawbone did not even know i was working out and would not show vigorous activity whereas the Bodymedia does since it measures the change in my skin temperature and sweat while also measuring movement to determine if I am just hot or if I am actually doing a workout. Plus in addition to that it also measures steps as well.

Here's the thing, you gotta get the display device if you get the Bodybugg or Bodymedia in my opinion. (sometimes they have specials on the site where it's free with purchase of device) Because that's my motivator. I can accurately measure how good a workout DVD is by the device or push myself to workout because I can set the device to say I'm working out and then have it track how many calories I've burned. If a workout is light I might burn 200 calories in 50 minutes, if it's rigorous I might burn it in 15 minutes. That pushes me. And it's clipped on my belt so I can see where my caloric burn is at every second of the day, real time. You could also clip it on a purse or whatever else you want. I don't gauge my workouts by time but instead I don't stop until I meet my caloric goal which I might set for 200 calories or 300 and I simply go until I reach it, rather than going for 30 minutes, 45, whatever, and doing a subpar workout.

It also helps you see the reality of your workouts unlike the fitbit or jawbone. For example, if I do a strength training workout while wearing the Bodymedia, it shows that my caloric burn and metabolism keeps burning long after I am done (which is what happens with strength training activities, even if that strength training activity is unloading boxes or something one day at work) The fitbit and jawbone show no workout at all, whereas the Bodymedia not only shows the burn, but shows your metabolism continuing to burn after you are done. A cardio workout makes your burn more calories in the time it takes you to do the workout. A strength workout doesn't burn as many when you do it, but continues to burn long after you are done.

I would say that fitbit and jawbone spent more on their websites but if the product doesn't show real caloric loss I don't care because it's all unreal info anyway. The Bodymedia web is way better than it used to be and I do use it and I like how it pushes me--even setting up a weight loss system for me so I know if I eat X amount of calories and burn this many I will hit my goal by month X. You can't get better than that.

In the end, all the devices push you to move more and that's a big one. But only one has a truly accurate measure of YOUR caloric burn, rather than an estimate based upon how many steps you took for someone your age height and weight.

So for me I set aside the others and went back to the Bodybugg/Bodymedia. They do a horrible job of marketing and explaining why it's different so you don't really know unless you are a personal trainer or fitness coach who has to explain it to a client, but in the end it's still the most accurate measurement out there and that's why it's used on the Biggest Loser so the coaches can actually know how many calories they are burning, not just guessing. I can guess with a $2 pedometer. I want science.

As far as whether or not the Core or Link is better, I prefer the Core. I don't want to have to have my phone on me to know my caloric burn personally. I prefer to have the Core with the display module. Not only does it display my calorie burn and I can also set it on the treadmill and see how many calories I have burned in real time, but it has the time on it too so I just don't even need a watch. Plus I have washed a few of the display modules in the washer AND dryer and they have never once stopped in spite of that ongoing accident. So for me I prefer the Core--smaller, and displays results at all times IF you also get the display module. I don't know how I'd workout without it and not know how I'm really doing at all times. When you judge your workout by how many calories you burn, you workout harder because you want to get done sooner and when you see you aren't working out hard enough or burning enough calories on that walk or cleaning the house, you do it harder--you mop harder and faster etc. It pushes you.

You can't do that while holding your phone and having to click on an app.

Why knowing how much you have burned at a glance during the day is important: It's also like a diet coach. Let's say you pass by the ice cream shop. You can easily look up how many calories that might be on an app, but let's say 400. You know by the computerized coach that you are supposed to eat 1200 calories day on your plan to lose weight that you chose to burn 1,700 calories a day on your plan you set up (You can pick your plan when you set up the BodyMedia as far as how fast you want to lose weight.) You look down and see you have only burned 1,000 calories that day and you have no time to workout. You know you will be over your limit. That is a game changer. On the other hand, you can go over your limit and know that the next day you may need to workout twice or be far more active that day in order to make up for the ice-cream and go ahead and eat it anyway. You finally can SEE your bank account that was always hidden before so being overdrawn meant staying at the same weight or not losing. As long as you want to record what you eat, it's simple. If you just want to be motivated by how much you burn that can work too.

I should note you don't need a personal trainer for your cardio when you have this. When you are wearing the display device, you can look down and see how many calories you are burning PER MINUTE which ends the guesswork. For example, if I am on the treadmill and see I am only burning 3.0 calories per minute I know I am just not working hard enough AT ALL and it's time to "get real" no matter how tired I am. I can gauge how I am doing based upon past workouts and how many calories I burned then per minute. I can push myself without hiring someone to do it for me and I can choose the workouts and DVDs and Wii games that make me burn the most per minute so I get more in less time for cardio workouts. (With strength training you burn less calories during the time you workout but then you keep burning them longer after you are done, this is why seeing how many calories you burned per day is as important)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps Best Purchase Ever!, February 12, 2013
I purchased the BodyMedia Fit Link Armband about a month ago and I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! In an attempt to share the love with others here is my review:
-The unit: it easy to wear. I am a big girl (5' 9" and topping the scale a few weeks ago at 291 pounds.) The medium band that came with the product fits me fine. I ordered two extra bands a week after receiving the product simply because I like to wear it all the time but want to be able to wash the bands after a sweaty workout! I have sensitive skin and have never had an issue with the unit- sometimes it leaves a mark on my arm when I wake up in the morning but it is no different than a pillow crease on one's face :) You can even program the unit to beep at different times of the day as a reminder to do something. I turned it on because I was curious but don't plan on using the function regularly.

The Link Feature: I LOVE that the product links to my Droid phone. It does so VERY easily and I love being able to check in through out the day and see what my life has been like :) The one down fall is that you have to hard-sync it to your computer to get all of the data updated but the information you can gather through the phone is still very beneficial. (i.e. when I open my phone it tells me how many calories I have burned, consumed, where my caloric deficit/surplus is, how much moderate and vigorous activity I have completed, and how many steps I have taken. When I hard sync to my computer it will give me detailed information on all of these categories, tips (the one I get all the time is about my sodium intake...) and it will show me a detailed report of my sleep.)

The reports- you can run reports from your computer that show you what you've accomplished (or what you wanted to accomplish) and they are amazing! I love looking back and seeing what I have done, and what I have yet to do. It really brings a new accountability to my life- not only do I have a band on my arm (and although it is discreet- I know it is there) to remind me of what I am working towards, but I can't fool myself into thinking that I have done more than I actually have.

The meal tracker- is good, not great. I have used Livestrong-my Plate in the past and LOVED it. BodyMedias tracker doesn't have as many foods listed but they are easy to "create" on the computer. (You can't create a food on your phone). The foods that you input are then saved under "my foods" which is nice. I suppose not having tons of foods listed isn't a huge deal as it makes me google things and check labels more carefully so I can input the information myself.

On the computer you can run a food report as well which is totally great. For example- Friday I was reallly craving a burger and I had done well with my caloric intake that day. I thought that Wednesday and Thursday had been "good" days for me as well but when I looked back at my food log I saw that Wednesday was not as good as I had remembered :)

The sleep report- is creepy accurate. For example- two nights ago I received a phone call at 3AM from a family member who was in the hospital. On my report you can see where I woke up, when I went downstairs to inform another family member, how long I talked with them, when I went back to my room, laid down and when I fell asleep. (White is awake, grey is laying down and black is asleep). I've noticed this before as well- if I get up to use the restroom in the middle of the night there will be a white line indicating on my sleep chart that shows when I was awake.

The Calorie Expenditure Report- is valuable. I work in two different locations and I was able to have the graph show me at which location (based on time) that I burned more calories. This specific example is not pertinent but interesting!

The downfalls- I love to swim. I swim a few times a week and my arm band has to sit in my locker. I would love for it to work in the pool as well but I understand the complications

This review makes me sound a little obsessive- and I will be honest in saying that is the case. But- BodyMedia really helps me keep my willpower and holds me accountable. I have really tried to watch what I eat and have been exercising much more regularly. I have lost 10 pounds in 22 days and I am really good with that, although I have a LONG road ahead. I have information with a few of my close friends and two have ordered their BodyMedia bands as well :)

Buy it. It is worth the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool for Weight Loss, April 29, 2012
Kathy "Kathy" (Kalamazoo, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I bought my Body Media armband through Jenny Craig when I joined about 9 weeks ago. I feel it has been an invaluable tool, as well as a great motivator for me. I have lost 12.5 pounds with the help of Jenny Craig and the Body Media armband. I enter all my calories consumed on a daily basis, and since the device calculates how many calories I have burned, I know exactly where I am in terms of "calorie balance" (surplus or deficit). All the Jenny Craig meals are already in the system, as are many other foods. Foods that are not already in the system can be easily entered ("create new food"). I also invested $25 in a food scale that I bought through Amazon (the EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale) which has been extremely helpful in terms of accurately gaging portion sizes and calorie intake.

This device also calculates how many hours you sleep and how "efficient" your sleep has been.

Out of curiosity, I read a lot of the negative reviews here, and it seems that a large portion of them are due to people having problems with the bluetooth feature and using the device with their phones. I can't speak to this since I do not use the device with my phone, only on my Mac, and I have not had a single problem. I feel that not only has this device been an integral part of my weight loss, it will be essential in helping me to maintain my weight once I reach my goal.

I also want to mention one little "trick" that was told to me by my Jenny Craig consultant: if you're a woman you can actually take the device out of the armband and wear it tucked in the left side of your bra. During the day I wear it in my bra, and at night I wear it with the armband, and in my experience this does not change the performance of the device, and it's great if you are wearing short sleeves/sleeveless or if you just get tired of wearing the armband.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocky setup - but works perfectly now, December 3, 2010
R. Gryder (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I've been wearing the new BodyMedia BW armband for about a week now, and although it was a rocky, frustrating set up - I'm loving it now. I starting wearing this right after Thanksgiving - and I've already lost the extra turkey and pumpkin pie pounds I gained thanks to this!

Due to some of the other reviews posted, I think some clarifications are in order. First, all the data that is being collected is actually stored on the armband. The only thing the phone does is act as a display of data that's on the armband (just like how the watch/display works with previous versions, by the way). But it's able to do a lot more than the old watch display by taking additional information like the food log and give you an up to date snapshot to show if you're consuming more or less calories than you're burning. Just like with previous versions, you still have to "download" the official data to the Bodymedia activity manager on your computer via a USB cable.

You do have to press the button on the armband to link it to your phone BEFORE you open up the app. Then when it links, the phone will display your latest steps, calories burned, etc. I do this once or twice during the day to see where I'm at - and its super easy to link it each time before. If it were constantly connected (as another reviewer indicated he thought that's how it should work) - it would kill the battery life of both your phone and your armband - bluetooth drains battery life. If you are in an exercise session (say, at the gym), you go to the workout section of the app, and the phone and armband stay connected for that entire session so you can get real time data and work out till you've reached a threshold of burned calories. Super easy.

There's no doubt the setup instructions need improvement. I've seen on other sites that customer service can help, though. As much as I like the convenience of bluetooth - it does drain the battery life of the armband. I used to wait two weeks between charging, now I have to charge every 3 or 4 days.

But overall - I love this version of the armband. It's a great tool. Should you upgrade from the previous version to the BW version? If you've got a supported smart phone and you like being able to check in to see how you're doing - or want real time info when you're at the gym - then yes. If you're ok with using the watch display combined with the previous version -then stick with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and clunky, November 18, 2010
I was so excited to receive the new Bodymedia FIT bluetooth version, however I am really disappointed. I love technology, but this seems to be much less user friendly than previous versions and they have lost some vital functionality. My main issues:

1. If you turn the phone off or multi-task to another app, the Bluetooth does not stay connected to the phone. In order to reconnect you have to push the button on your armband. If you could hit "refresh" in the app and have it reconnect that would be fine, but having to push the button on the armband is very cumbersome.

Depending on what I am wearing, I can't hit the button through my clothes. So I
have to reach under my shirt (imagine how that looks!) to push a button, which makes a not so quiet beep-beep-beep tone every time I want to check how many calories I have burned.

2. I am not a fan of the BodyMedia food interface so I track my food through MyFitness Pal and enter my calories consumed using the daily estimate feature. This feature is not available on the app. In order to enter just the number of calories consumed you have to use the web interface. That means I can't use the app for food logging.

3. The old version that had the display unit showed your current calorie burn rate in calories per minute. There is no way to see this information on the app. I have had issues with my armband showing abnormally high burn rates while driving in the car. I used the display to monitor this, and would take it off or flip over the armband if I saw it happening. There is no way to check your current burn rate during an activity. You have to wait until you sync your armband at home and try to remember what time it was.

4. Workouts: Several options for it to alert you when you have completed a work out based on minutes, calories or intensity. This is a nice feature. However once your workout is done it is not tracked anywhere. There is no way to review current or past workouts.

I hope BodyMedia does a lot of work to improve the usability. There are so many cool ways to use technology to track fitness/health, and this one just falls flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Skeptic to Believer, April 15, 2012
BodyMedia FIT LINK Armband Weight Management System

I read dozens of the reviews for the BodyMedia Fit device prior to purchasing it. I was extremely skeptical, and saved the box, because I just didn't know if I would be happy with it given the number of negative reviews. I am so glad that I bought it anyway. Because I think it is a phenomenal device. I want to address some of the main issues I read about, and highlight my experience

Customer Service - I sent an email asking about when the device would be compatible with iPhone 4S. I received a response within an hour, I was shocked! He indicated that the device was not "officially" compatible with iPhone 4s yet but that several customers had had luck with syncing. So I gave it a try

Syncing with Smartphone - I have an iPhone 4s and have had no problems syncing, I followed the instructions in the manual and it worked fine. Some other reviews mentioned re-pairing the device to phone each time, this is a customizable setting, by default, the Bluetooth syncing times after two minutes or when you exit the program, this is to save your phone's battery. The only issue I have run into with syncing was my fault, at one point I couldn't figure out why it had stopped syncing with my phone, it was because I had held the button down too long and doing so erased the pairing with my phone, the button only need to be hit to sync, holding for several seconds unpairs it from your phone

Food database - The food database is not as extensive as it could be, and a scanner would be really helpful, but I am glad I knew this going in, but I just get the info from another source and type it in. I love that I can do this on my phone, and it syncs automatically with the desktop application

Data accuracy - Love this! Knowledge is power and I am making better daily choices because of this!

Driving - Some reviews said the device logs your driving as exercise/activity. I tested this theory several time by checking my calories and activity number before a drive and then immediately after, I am not sure what those reviews are referring to, or perhaps there has been a software update to eliminate this issue

If you are someone that is afraid or easily intimidated by technology this is not for you. The beauty of the product is that technology has provided a way for us to have the information needed to make smart decisions about how we manage our individual nutrition and physical activity. The ability to have this information is tremendously empowering. I am very excited about using the device. I met someone on Saturday who has been using the BodyMedia Fit Link device for a year. She said that she started using it to get down to a size 12, well it was obvious that this woman was around a size 6, she said that she was doing so well with the use of the armband device, she just wanted to keep going. She has maintained her weight for 6 months now. I told her she was my inspiration. A 26 pound loss should have me back in my size 6. At 2 pounds per week I will be there in July. I plan to update this review at that time to let everyone know of my victory!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are serious about weight lost... Make this purchase, March 1, 2013
I research this product very thoroughly looking here on amazon then on Bodymedia.com. I was on the fence about purchasing Core vs Link model of bodymedia, personally I was able to narrow down my choice by personal preferences. I chose the "link" bodymedia armband so I could check my stats all day via iPhone app and its been nice! I choose to disconnect my Bluetooth after checking it to save battery but you have the option to leave Bluetooth connected. Armband even has options to change the armband itself.. Love the options!

Pros.. Able to connect myfitnesspal to this armband to log my food ; ability to check via app ; comfortable armband

Cons: none!

Great addition to my fitness journey

BodyMedia LINK Armband Weight Management System