Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on October 10, 2011
I have tried other beginner tai chi DVD's, most costing much more than this one, but this is easily the best to learn true Yang short form (24 moves) tai chi. I am buying his companion DVD on Qi Gong today.

Pros:
- camera angles change throughout each lesson to clearly show important details from front, sides, and rear
- in each of the 8 lessons, 3 moves are taught slowly and repeatedly without rushing
- instructor points out minor but important details, and also the things that beginners often do wrong
- good video and sound quality - the instructor is easily heard over the soft music
- includes a separate warmup routine, and shows all 24 moves from beginning to end so you can do it with him after learning them all
- simple menu navigation
- optional subtitles

Cons:
- like on any tai chi DVD, at times you will need to deal with the "mirror image problem", but the changing camera angles minimize this.
- some people will be frustrated by the slow-paced lessons, but this is necessary to learn the proper details of the moves
1010 comments|730 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2012
I have taken 2 Tai Chi classes in the last few years, and have dropped them both due to unsatisfactory instructors. Chris Pei is very helpful with each step; he is very slow and easy to follow, and he also points out common mistakes that people tend to make. The multiple camera angles allow you to see the moves from all sides, which is a HUGE help (and an issue that not all Tai Chi home videos address). Watching an instructor perform moves that you have to repeat in the "reverse" can be more than a little frustrating. The instructor's voice is very calming (with some benign new age music playing in the background), and he also gives a wonderful little warm-up in the beginning. He seems genuinely concerned that the learner practices Tai Chi correctly from the beginning. I would definitely recommend this DVD to anyone interested in trying out Tai Chi at home. (Oh, and, as usual, Amazon's shipping was lighting-fast.)
11 comment|236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2011
I've enjoyed this DVD a good deal so far (been at it for a week or so)

Mr. Pei does a very good job breaking down each pose slowly and methodically. There are 8 different sections, each one describing 1 or 2 poses, with the last session combining all of them into a singular routine.

Previously this year, I've completed a rotation of P90X: Tony Horton's 90-Day Extreme Home Fitness Workout DVD Program
I've been looking for something slightly less rigorous to work on- to focus more on balance, tensile strength and breathing. I was very surprised when my core and back were a little bit sore after day 2 of Tai Chi, so there is a very subtle workout, even for someone in decent shape used to strenuous workouts.

It's very enjoyable and relaxing, I highly recommend this.
11 comment|334 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2011
I've been interested in taking Tai Chi classes for quite a while. After attending a class I thought it was boring and hard to follow. But I still wanted to learn because of the health benefits. I'm so glad I found this DVD. I'm learning Tai Chi at a nice pace and it's far from boring.
11 comment|200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2012
I took a good Taiji class years ago, but did not follow up on it. In time, I forgot all the moves. I move house a lot and often live in places and countries without any Taiji instruction for hundreds of miles. Consequently, a DVD is my only chance to practice regularly. I have tried out about seven DVDs before hitting upon this one, with very mixed and frustrating results.

As stated by other reviewers, other DVDs will often "cheat" by omitting parts of the form, starting slow but then speeding up, offering muddled instructions...very frustrating and futile.

This is the first DVD in which I feel as if I were participating in a class with a very patient, kind and generous instructor.

This DVD is for you if you are completely new to Taiji, if you took a class once but forgot the moves, if you have had physical difficulties because of surgeries or other types of traumatic experiences and, above all, if you need a gentle yet precise approach.

If you are very physically active, if you are confident with the basic form, or if you have access to regular classes, one of the videos by Jwing-Ming Yang may be better for you.

But as a first experience or a refresher, this DVD is as good as it gets. Highly, highly recommended. I am very grateful to Christopher Pei and to the makers of this DVD.

UPDATE: I eventually learned the short form from this DVD and I started practicing every day. It has made an immense difference in my well-being and my posture. If you persist with this one, you won't be disappointed!
11 comment|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2011
So far I have been very pleased with this video.

The moves are broken down in manageable lessons in the amount that is being taught with each one. He breaks each move down, then progresses with very good tips and pointers to keep in mind then runs through the moves fully.

Clearly marked and easy to work with.
0Comment|238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
I had no experience with any form of Tai Chi. Tried taking a class, but in my one and only session, I couldn't coordinate the moves that were required of the arms, legs, hands all at the same time. Realized that I needed more repetive sessions in order to be able to grasp it. In class, it just moved to fast and the moves made me go off balance. Never have used any exercise that was like this. I was so grateful for this DVD as they go over each move over and over again and again. It helped me take my time to get my head around such moves. Recommend very highly for beginners and people in their 60's. Good teacher and put together well. Order arrived quickly. Am happy!
11 comment|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2011
Chris Pei presents hours of instruction on the 24 part form of Tai Chi. The final workout itself is about 15 minutes straight through, but he breaks everything down in a series of 8 lessons.

The lessons range from 20 to 30 minutes or so and he teaches you a few of the parts.

First he is presents the material, then reviews it and points out things to note, then continues on increasing the speed/smoothness of the parts.

The video also makes sure to show all angles as you work through the moves so you can really see what is going on.

I have used it for a few weeks now and really enjoying how I feel doing this.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2012
I'm sorry to say that this video is a disappointment. The instructor gives you instructions, but since he is facing you and not reversing the moves, you can't mirror him, but have to continually figure out what foot and arm to use. I am not a newcomer to tai chi, and could sort of figure out what to do from memory, but this video does not help you remember or improve the moves.

consumers -- you need to find a video where you can easily follow along, so look for a instructor who either mirrors the moves or who turns his back to you, so you can see what foot and arm to use.
1212 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2011
In general good presentation of tai chi. Detailed explaination.
The form is suitable for beginners.

It explains evenly on each move. Not like some other dvd. which explains the first a few moves in details and then rush though everything else.