Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-39 of 39 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 13, 2009 7:57:47 AM PDT
Voyage34 says:
Call me an old cynic but I'm always wary of those "miracle lifestyle change" diet books by authors that advocate taking a large number of supplements which, surprise surprise, just happen to be sold by the author on his website, usually at hugely inflated prices because, naturally, the website only supplies "top quality" products and dissuades the reader from purchasing elsewhere. Surely a truly healthy diet wouldn't require any supplements whatsoever - we are, after all genetically designed to get everything we need from our food intake. It also appears that if you sign up to Dr Hyman's online newsletter you are constantly bombarded with the latest "new medical ideas" that inevitably involve yet another product you "just can't do with out". I smell a rat. I'm not knocking the book or the science (I can't, I haven't read it), but there are just so many examples of this practise around these days that it's virtually impossible to sieve the genuine from the huckster.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2009 5:38:59 PM PDT
R. Hernandez says:
you dont even have to buy the book. I took it out of the library to see if it was worth buying...........simple

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2009 2:09:26 PM PDT
Do you actually know any small-time authors who boost book sales with fake positive reviews? If not, you should not post that this is a practice to temporarily appease petty small-time authors. I am a small-time author who does not boost book sales with fake positive reviews. I want my book reviews to be genuine and I will accept any amount of stars that the reader feels my book deserves. There are other ways an author can boost book sales without fake positive reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2009 9:35:04 AM PDT
The cost of a book is more than the $. It's the time it takes to read it. Not too many of us get enough chance to read important books. Reviews are my way of screening them.

It's misleading, maybe even dishonest for an author to promote his book in this way. My personal policy is not to buy any book where I see this sort of review.

Posted on Jan 1, 2010 9:01:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2010 9:04:24 PM PST
My god! I can't believe the time I just wasted reading all this "grassy knoll" crap. My google search gave mea huge aray of differing sources. More proof of way 2 much time. Go volunteer to help a real peson with real needs!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2010 9:41:59 AM PST
JM says:
There would be an easy solution. Amazon could have two "tracks" of reviews. The first track would be one where people have to give their real names and Amazon verifies they purchased the book. The second track would be anonymous reviews like now. Potential purchasers could then view the second track with a little more skepticism than the first track. Your complaint - which I think is valid - is about a barrage of 5-star reviews. The flipside is a barrage of 1-star reviews by skeptics, competitors, and trolls. There is a legitimate business reason for companies to hype up their products with "friends" because that same company has no control over unfair 1-star reviews that can seriously harm a product sales.

Posted on Jan 4, 2010 1:23:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2010 1:26:15 PM PST
Hunk Golden says:
I've never seen this issue as rampant as it is with the current #1 seller on Amazon, "The Full Plate Diet." There are 125 reviews. 119 are 5-star reviews, the other 6 are 4-star reviews. 85% of the reviews were posted today, the day the book was released. Most of the reviewers have that 1 review to their credit, and most of the reviews are very vague. Check that one out!!

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 9:39:54 AM PST
L. Johnson says:
My two cents. If there are enough reviews for any given product, whatever "plants" there might be are going to be balanced out. I don't think there's anything nefarious in an author asking his friends to plug his book. So long as others are also reviewing it, there will be plenty of opinions to work with. This is a self-regulating system that works if you use it properly. Anytime I go to buy something, I make sure to read the negative reviews as well. Quite often, they consistently complain about the same things. You can then determine by that if the deficit that other people are experiencing is going to bother you. Simple.

Posted on Mar 5, 2010 10:18:24 PM PST
Pamela Demas says:
I just saw and heard about this dr. Hymantonite on PBS and am very excited about the book even though I haven't read it.I have been trying to do many of his suggestions for the past year and a half as I have been thru chemo and triple negative breast cancer witha bilateral mastectomy. My kind of cancer has a high return rate. So far they say the only thing to keep it at bay is a low (20grams a day) fat diet and it cut the recurrance by 50%. That will tend to make one change ones life style. I have never drank alcohol, smoked, or used drugs toher than antibiotics and no family history.Many people have never even heard of it. It has been very difficult to get information on eating healthier. It is out there but he seems to have put together what i have researched for 18 months and all he says is pretty much a repeat from many others, the good thing is he has put it all together and i won't have to search everywhere. My husband who had high cholestrol, triglycerides, and high blood pressure has followed my diet about 80% of the time and all 3 things are in normal range. We do local organic probably 90% od the time, No fast food and no restrauants. It has been hard and sometimes we fail but we keep trying. Your grocery will go down when you leave off processed foods and junk food. Fresh is better. We eat very little grass fed beef and free ranfe chicken and eggs and raw milk when we can get it. I have learned to grind my own wheat and make my own bread and I keep children in my home 10-11 hours a day. So with some effort you can do it and so far my cancer has not returned.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2010 1:08:11 AM PST
Fastalaskan says:
This has nothing to do with the discussion but I'd recommend reading "What your doctor may not tell you about breast cancer." by John R Lee.

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 1:12:39 PM PDT
Lori D. Deus says:
I just ordered the book because a good friend of mine was diagnosed with MS and she said it has literally changed her life. She is doing so well right now and 6 months ago she was in bed and sick most of the time!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 7:06:17 AM PST
ac wildlife says:
You are missing the entire point wolfiesue. Liberty4alll is talking about shill reviews, which happen on this site and is deceitful. You need to get over it and read what the issue is. Shill reviews, shill seller reviews, should never happen because people do read the reviews and often consider them in deciding whether to buy. He is talking apples and you oranges. Shill reviews wreck a company's credibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 7:12:35 AM PST
ac wildlife says:
Hunk Golden boy you have said it right on.
That is the point, not this book. I bought an mp3 player and it was defective. I emailed the seller for a way to exchange it and he ignored it. There was a 2-week window. I emailed again, and all he sent was the tracking. So 1) this is a seller who can't read English (why then selling on Amazon usa?) and then I left a low rating, which Amazon managed to find the most ridiculous reason for not posting -- and on top of everything else, this person had like 53 5-star ratings posted on one day, then 42 5-star ratings posted two weeks later. I don't buy that that many 5-star ratings come in on one day. I wish I had seen these comments much sooner than my bad experience in 2011 and this year because shill reviews in any form kill the credibility of this company. People will read reviews to help decide which buyer to buy from. I got an expensive battery DOA and was jacked around by the seller. I left a product review but oh my it ended up under a DIFFERENT seller. That is deliberate.
Now I would not believe any review.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 10:23:47 AM PDT
People have to start speaking up. Writing to their "customer service" department is useless, as it is a foreign call center that gives pat replies. Google for contacts above and beyond cust serv. I, too, have become increasingly dismayed by bogus reviews on Amazon. Checking to see if the reviewer only has one review is no longer enough. Now, the plants are going further - reviewing additional products. It's not hard to recognize the plants, but what a waste of time. Amazon needs to figure out how to fix this.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The UltraMind Solution: Fix Your Broken Brain by Healing Your Body First
The UltraMind Solution: Fix Your Broken Brain by Healing Your Body First by Mark Hyman M.D. (Audio CD - December 30, 2008)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (282)