Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2010 11:50:41 PM PDT
Hunk Golden says:
Does anybody else question the legitimacy of the reviews for this book (and LL's other books)?? Almost all the reviews are 5-star reviews, and most of them were left by people who've never reviewed a product. They're also hyperbolic in nature..."This is the best book ever!" It wouldn't be the first time this happened on Amazon.

This isn't a criticism of the book itself. It just raises red flags for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2010 9:04:35 AM PDT
V. Davis says:
I think the answer is simple - she asked for people to review the book, so she got reviews. I'm a first time reviewer despite MANY Amazon purchases, but my opinion only reflects my enthusiasm for the book. I really have loved her recipes, and these look just as wonderful.

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 9:34:58 PM PDT
Maria M. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 1, 2010 7:55:08 AM PDT
Grandma says:
Hunk, if the review is by a Vine Voice or is someone with an Amazon verified purchase, then consider it, even if the individual has few other reviews. If those two things are missing, then it may very well be a shill review - VERY easy to get up here on Amazon. Something else - NO book is going to get all 5 stars. If there are lots and lots of reviews and not a single 3 star or less review, then that would raise red flags for me. BTW, I read the negative reviews first - and tend to give them a bit more consideration.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2010 7:30:35 PM PDT
Mark Barry says:
Its a good book!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on May 22, 2010 6:43:48 AM PDT
I fall under the category that you question, first time reviewer and I say it's a great book. As soon as I got it I ordered 6 more copies to give to my friends as gifts. It's filled with simple, low calorie meals, a lot of which have pretty decent portions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2011 7:28:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2011 7:29:10 AM PST
Nicole Coxon says:
I do the same thing. I always go to see why people didnt like something. if they have a good reason for not liking something about the book i tend to shy away from it

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 2:09:35 PM PDT
Hunk Golden says:
It looks like it's happening with her newest book too ("300 Under 300"). Yesterday it had 55 reviews or so. Today it's up to 96, 88 of which are 5-star reviews.

Most of her books have somewhere between 300 and 500 reviews, an overwhelming majority of which are 5-star reviews (and most of those are left by "customers" who've only left one review).

This type of activity isn't specific to LL's books. It happens a lot throughout the site. But it seems really rampant/blatant with her books (2 of which I own). It's very fishy. You just don't see every book an author puts out getting great reviews like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 4:34:58 PM PDT
Ravendas says:
That's because about once a week she posts a contest on her FB page to give away prizes to people who post book reviews. Hence why you see a slew of new posts once a week or so. And since most of the folks on her FB are rabid fangirls of hers, they're going to give 5-star reviews (plus, I'm sure they figure she's not going to award anyone who gives anything less than a stunning review).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 6:58:35 AM PST
ac wildlife says:
What happened to me is I reviewed a product sold by a seller, but the review -- clearly intended for the particular seller -- was hidden under the name of another seller. It said the product was "offered by...." and no way, I did not buy from that seller. So, yes my review was indeed my review, but Amazon will find a way to shift it, delete it, any excuse to fail to show a bad review by one of their sellers. The reasons I believe are the seller is using Amazon's shipping feature or some other aspect. They then protect that seller, no matter what kind of review is given.
That is deceitful and calls all reviews into question.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 7:02:01 AM PST
ac wildlife says:
I would disagree with that. I looked over the seller reviews -- not these kind, but the star ones -- and one seller had on one day 53 5-star reviews come in. On another day the seller had something like 42 5-star reviews come in. There is no way that 53 people all decide to put in their review all glowing 5-star on one day. All the same day. That screamed shill reviews. So if that happens, all manner of reviews are called into question.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Apr 4, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet
Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet by Lisa Lillien (Paperback - March 30, 2010)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (502)