Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on November 4, 2015
I knew this was not a high quality board, but given the good reviews it had received here I thought it was worth a try.

The board came packed in its own box with no padding and then this box came inside an amazon larger box with some paper padding that had already crumbled by the time it reached me, allowing for some play inside. The story here could have been better.

The outer box opened easily, but I had to tear open the inner one (you need to open it more carefully than me if you want to keep it) and then I extracted the board. Right then I noticed two things: it was very light and it already seemed to have structural integrity issues: the frame was creaking as I was tilting it in my hands to examine it.

The board is basically composed of a fairly thin base plate of pressed wood on top of which sits the thin round game board. The plate is wedged into the wooden frame composed of 8 pieces joined together. This is a very weak construction. The creaks I had noticed came from a couple of frame joints that were not tightly joined - they allowed the frame segments to slightly move against each other but not enough that I could see how they were held together. Another issue is that the frame holds the base elevated when placed on a flat surface - given the thinness of the plate, I would expect it to warp in time.

A better idea would have been to have a frame reinforcing the rear of the base as well as the structure of the frame. That would have required giving away the printed Checkers board, but let's face it - most people buy this product to play Crokinole, not Checkers. They should have included a paper Checkers board instead of compromising the integrity of the board.

Now for the playing surface: I am not sure of its material but basically it looked like something rather rough with a smoother surface on top. Note that the surface was not perfectly smooth, but had some small ridges - I expect this was done to decrease friction. This part would have been OK, but the painting of the surface had several small defects. It looked as if the surface got painted while dirty and some dirt got painted over leading to small bumps in the surface. These may not have been high enough to impact the disc movement but were not pleasing to the eye or touch either. The paint was also peeled off in a couple of small places, but since these happened to reveal white on blue, they were quite visible; the manufacturer should consider including some paint to touch up these defects or they should just have better quality control. The edges of the center hole were also rough and reminded me of another reviewer's warning that they may wear off during play - it would have been nice if they were treated with some sealant.

The playing discs were all there in a corner of a box in a plastic bag with one page with the game instructions. If you cannot see them, check the game box bottom or open it at both ends to make sure they're not stuck in a corner on the other side from the one you opened. They seemed to be made of wood covered with a glossy paint. They slid well on the playing surface.

Overall, this just isn't a product worth $55. For this price, you can purchase a high quality Chess or Backgammon set that required a lot more skill in crafting and much better materials. Given how simply it is put together they could sell this as a DIY project and cut off the assembly work. If you don't have any option, this board can be used for a while, but don't expect it to hold very well in time.

I would rather put the cost of this board towards a more expensive board, but not the WorldWise Imports Crokinole 3-in-1 Game Table that is the only option currently available on Amazon, because that one seems to share the same weakness where the frame holds the base elevated so as to use its bottom as a playing surface for other games. Another option would be to try the less expensive Carrom Game Board Large, which seems better built and offers interesting game alternatives (including Checkers!), but has even less standard board markings than this one. So this one goes back for a refund.
on June 7, 2013
I wanted a board that I can take camping and I didn't want to pay for an expensive board to play outside. This board is perfect the price you're paying is a lot cheaper than the more professional expense board but it gets the job done. Tried it out at a party and it actually got more interest than any other party games like ladder ball, beer pong, shooting pool, and bean bag toss. Everybody loved it and the team mode was simply a blast. Truely one of the best dexterity, strategy, board game nobody ever heard of. Its a good beginner board to break in. I'll definitely pick up a really nice board soon but this board will do for now.
on May 20, 2013
Pro: Game is very fun for the whole family even the 3yr old can play! Con: the board is made of fiberboard. Mine came with a small chip at the edge of the center hole and it has gotten bigger as the discs slam into it.
on April 17, 2015
This has worked out well as a less expensive way for me to see if my friends would be as into Crokinole as I was. I really didn't want to drop 200+ on one of the nice hardwood boards just to find out nobody else wanted to play. Do be aware that this is definitely an entry level board, the surface is sort of rough, and the pieces don't glide like they do on the more expensive boards. However this board costs about a third the price.

If I have to pick a couple of things to complain about, I'd say that I don't like the non-standard board markings. I'm not sure what they were getting at with the bulgy areas above the 5 point marker, or the way that the 15 point score zone fades to white around the center hole. Also the center hole and the outside well could be deeper.

Overall a good value compared to the alternatives and a great way to introduce your family and friends to this excellent game.
on April 5, 2015
My wife surprised me with this item for my birthday. Years ago we played Crokinole with some Canadian friends and have been searching for an affordable game board ever since. As others have noted, this is not a replacement for $180-$300 handmade hardwood boards, but if you're a casual player or just have a beginning interest, it'll do the trick. The surface is slick enough for some entertaining game play, and the discs are basic but function just fine. Packaging note: the first box we received did not include the bag of discs and instruction sheet that is clearly marked on the box as being included. If you don't get a bag of discs, send it back and get another. We did this, Amazon sent a replacement the next day, and we couldn't be happier with the purchase. I'm only giving this four stars because of the packaging snafu and because of a couple minor flaws in construction (pin placement is a little off). We're having so much fun with this game I'm going to buy another set of discs to play four person games.
on August 26, 2015
My friends and I all love this game. It's a great game to have out on your coffee table or gameroom, and people can never resist playing a bit when they walk by. The board isn't of the highest quality, but it's hard to find real wooden boards online, and they're all $200+, so for a starter board this works out pretty great.
on April 26, 2014
for the price this is an excellent board. I grew up playing this game and sometimes on a homemade board and this is the first one I have seen with the large shaded areas for the "5" counting area but it is kind of fun. I can tell you though that the board is not perfectly level since with a level board you can shoot directly over the whole...with my board you cant..it will not make it across to the other side and will hit the lip on the other side but all and all a great game for the money
on April 9, 2013
This board game is A LOT of fun! Fun action when bumping an opponents game piece off high numbers. Even funnier when a player shoots too hard and hits one of the bumpers and gets no points at all.
I didn't notice the dimensions of the board game when ordering but it's a surprisingly big game and it needs to be. The quality of the board is excellent, it is built to last. For the quality of this game, it is actually seems priced a little low.
I bought this game to use at a Cub Scout Den meeting for one of the requirements the Tiger Cubs needed to earn their Language & Culture belt loop and the person who they spoke with was surprised to see the game, commenting 'that he hadn't played this game since he was a kid'. So I'm not sure who had the most fun ... the 7 year olds or the Canadian 45 year old!
An excellent buy!
on March 4, 2014
The board is a little on the flimsy side and one of the outer border wooden boards was not glued in place. But otherwise and so far it's ok. The game is easy and very fun to play. It's like hockey and curling on a table top board but requires just a little skill and concentration.
on August 6, 2013
I played this in Canada with my family and have hunted for it in the USA for awhile now.

I remembered as great fun at all levels of skill. It has lived up to my memory of it and will be continuing to bring fun and togetherness to this family.

Try it you'll LOVE it!!!