Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

Boker Plus Credit Card Knife
Price:$21.12+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 14, 2011
I have purchased this knife to carry in my wallet as a backup knife in case if I forget my pocket knife at home.
Pros: It does fit(!) perfectly in a credit card pocket of the wallet. Folded, it is 2/3 of the credit card size and thickness is about 3 credit cards put together. Only one thing I had to do--remove the pocket clip with the Torx screwdriver.
Cons: This knife is complete junk. You better watch my video. I did send them the knife back, they send me the confirmation that they have recieved the knife...now I got the following message: The A2Z Emporium has closed your return request. The reason for the closure of your request is: Issued refund without return.

I am not going to fight with them over $25... Guys, please, just stay away from this junk

It is hard to describe the feeling when' you are surfing a YouTube for a couple of weeks looking for the best knife to fulfill your requirements. Everyday tracking down the delivery status and eventually, opening the box like it is your birthday gift and ... find a complete piece of crap instead.
3737 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2010
Well, first let me say some nice things about this item.
It IS unique, It is sturdy. The black neck-chain is very well made. The blade steel is not bad, it is 440=C, a fairly standard and serviceable steel for lower priced knives.

Now, on to my disappointments. I must stress that since there are only two reviews now, including mine, I have no way of knowing if my knife was a fluke, or if this is the norm. But here we go.
Right out of the box, the blade on mine was dull. It would have probably been sufficient to cut a stick of butter, or spread jelly, but that is about it. I DID get an edge on it after about five minutes with a stone, but should one not expect a Boker knife to have a reasonably sharp blade out of the box? And for the price, should the owner have to work it over to make it functional?

On to the design. The knife is not touted as a pocket knife, really, but the clip on the back would indicate that it could at least be carried in or clipped to, a pocket. BUT :
Unless you have a strong masochistic urge, I would NOT carry this blade in a pocket. Wallet, maybe; credit card case, sure. Cell phone holster, probably.
But the edge of the blade, when the knife is closed, sits about 1/16 inch above the surface of the handle, and over one inch of that sharp edge is exposed to your fingers. Or to your Gummi Bears, your pet cockroach, a hard boiled egg or whatever else may be in your pocket. For those who know woodworking tools, think about a wood plane. For those more familiar with cooking implements, think of a mandolin. When this knife is closed,the blade is just high enough above the handle surface to allow skin, cloth or other material, to be nicked, sliced or peeled. This regrettable hazard could have been avoided if the carbon-fiber strip used to guard the point, had just been extended another inch and a quarter, to cover that raw edge.

I plan to make some modifications so that I can carry this blade, as I'm not much on returning things. But honestly, if I needed a very sharp, small blade to carry in my wallet, cell phone case or a credit card case, and if I had advanced knowledge of this Boker knife's limitations, I would instead choose:
A single edge razor blade in its cardboard sheath - less than two dollars for a box of twelve. Or
a scalpel blade, or X-Acto knife blade, of a size and shape of my choosing, less than one dollar, and easily carried in cardboard, or heavy foil and a small piece of duct tape.
And I would keep the difference in price to invest in the gold market or maybe start a chinchilla ranch. No, not to sell them, just to let them roam free.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2012
I am surprised that Boker would have sold this knife. Just as Flouss demonstrates, the knife folds backwards when cutting pressure is applied on the blade, as is necessary for any cutting job. This knife has an interesting design, but it is poorly executed. The problem is that the back of the blade slides over the top of the screw put in place to lock it in position. Good concept, but it is dangerous to use. Be careful.
on August 8, 2012
I bought the knife for what I believe to be the same reason as most everyone else, I wanted back-up. I sometimes forget my pocket knife and would always have this with me. No, I didn't expect this knife to be the most absolute sharpest, toughest, do all knife that ever existed. At the very least it should lock when open, right? Not only did the knife not lock but if you bend in any way it almost snaps. So for those out there looking for something of this type please look elsewhere. Not only is this knife clearly ready to break but if you do try to use it there is a serious chance of injury.

No thanks.
on November 17, 2011
this knife is decent for what it is, but right out of the box mine was dull and the tip was not even ground down. i had to take a harsh diamond plate to it. not worth $20
on April 9, 2015
If you're looking for an actual pocket knife that has a super slim profile, can fit in a wallet, and is not garbage, your options are very limited. Most "credit card knives" are not knives, they're like multi utility tools with a flimsy slide in knife in a bulky black cars thingy. Boo. I just want an actual super slim pocket knife.

If you're familiar with actual credit card knives, then you know of the spyderco spydercard and spyderbyrd. I had the latter which was a great knife, but I lost one of the screws and the lock crapped out, so I was looking for a replacement. Both of those spyderco knives are discontinued (despite being worshipped) and to get the original it goes for like $100 on eBay- screw that.

Basically, this is literally the only knife I found that fit the bill- an actual pocket knife that is super slim and fits in a wallet. If you know of others, send me a message. Thankfully, it's not only a great knife that excellently fits it's purpose, but it's much better than the spyderbyrd.

First, take off the stupid clip- this defeats the purpose of putting it in your wallet and adds extra width. Unfortunately, this is a task as it uses a precision star screw. I was able to use a mini flathead to do the trick. Once the clip is off, it drecreases the overall width to 4mm! This is amazing and definitely the slimmest profile knife I have ever seen. You will have some decrease in grip as the clip does add some extra material to grab onto. However, for my purposes this is non issue- I'm using it as a simple knife for light jobs on the go. It's also important to note this is much slimmer than my spyderbyrd, which was about 6.5 mm (see pictures).

The actual knife- what you expect. Sharp and sturdy for a utility knife. Not a battle knife, but easily gets the job done for cutting boxes, etc. Not flimsy, either, despite the low profile- which is always a concern with the credit card knives. The edge is about 2.25 inches long. You'll notice too, that despite the blade being the same size as the spyderbyrd, the overall folded length and size is smaller on the broker.

The issue with the folded blade protruding out is not an issue. You'll see in pictures that it folds nicely into the guard and no sharp edge protrudes. It also appears to be well made as the edge hugs the handle, so it's not possible to cut yourself despite the fact that it's not inside an double sided handle like most pocket knifes. This allows it to be so super slim. Locking is good. It's stopped by a nut that's not too thin, so I don't anticipate it sliding over it and not locking after a while.

Bonus features include the finger grooves, which are awesome, and the finer hole. You even have a tiny hole in the corner of the guard that you can use to hook it onto a key chain!

TL;DR: Overall, after taking off the clip, this knife impressed me. Extremely thin at 4mm, smaller in profile in all ways from the spyderbyrd with the same sized knife edge of 2.25 in, well made, not flimsy, good locking mechanism, and finger grooves. Basically the best credit card
knife ever seen.
review image review image review image
on November 7, 2014
OK . . . . . .
time for a little reality as I experienced it.
I was put off by the negative review video. I decided not to buy the knife. Partly because I THOUGHT (wrongly as it turned out) that the handle slab of this knife was made of glass fiber reinforced plastic or some such.

THEN, fortunately, I discovered later at another knife vender's web site that the handle slab is Titanium.
I know titanium and specifically thin wall Ti. and it is pretty butch stuff.
I rethunk the purchase and ordered my knife.

I AM GLAD I DID.
so far.

I have only had the knife a few hours but I think I can contribute a few thoughts here :
The knife is NOT flexy or wimpy like in the video.
The knife is not a one hand open knife. At least not without a strong and dextrous paw and a lot of practice. The pivot works well but the lock locks when closed as well as when open and is very firm. I don't need this to be a one hand knife so I am happy. (PS: I can just do it but is clumsy so far)
PPS: I'm getting it now.
PPPS: No problem (though not as easy as say . . . my small Cold Steel 20MT Mini Tuff Lite Plain)
I am guessing our nay saying friend started working his over to free up the one hand open aspect and over did it. Just guessing.
Before I bought this knife I saw a YouTube about it. I was concerned when I noticed a significant gap in between the blade and the handle.
There is indeed a thin high quality washer between the blade and the handle.
It is not a problem. The lock tang on the handle and the stop screw (where sir nay shows it slipping past) are still well overlapped enough to securely lock the blade from accidentally folding closed or over extending.

NOW HEAR THIS ; the pocket clip reinforces the area between the lock stop and the screw stop; removing the pocket clip could / will make the structure less rigid. If you are going to use your knife to bush whack new passages in the Amazon I recommend you leave the pocket clip in situ.

If you are, as I am, used to dealing with and respecting the limitations of fine ultra light structures ( such as road racing bicycles, hang gliders, air craft, Ferrari sports cars . . . you get the idea) THEN you may do fine removing the pocket clip and being slightly more careful how you cut with this knife.

Again . . . if you find it difficult to get to the grocery store and back without destroying your ride and have found a D-10 is the only thing that can take that kind of punishment . . . then leave the pocket clip in place.
: )

If your knife does loosen up like in the vid a simple solution is to remove the pocket clip, put a large, tapered center punch in the rivet, strike the punch a tap or two with a hammer to TIGHTEN UP THE RIVIT. Or better yet use a snap setting punch. If that is too "technical" then maybe using a pocket knife is too technical as well.

As far as cutting up the box; I cut up the entire corrugated cardboard box the knife was shipped to me in into roughly one inch wide strips. My knife is sound. The rivet is quite sound. THERE WAS NO PROBLEM. (by the way it took a fair amount of force; though the knife is sharp it is thicker than a box knife blade and combined with the single bevel design it isn't the best box cutter though no worse than a small, regular, every day, folding knife with a pocket clip.

NOW . . . as far as the "Think cheese grater or mandolin" where it has been suggested here that the blade edge is too exposed when closed. In the case of the knife I am holding in my hands THERE IS NO PROBLEM. The maker may have changed the grind slightly to compensate (the YouTube seems to show an edge bevel on the handle side of the knife that mine does not have). My knife is a single bevel grind ( the side facing the handle has no bevel). The side of the blade facing away from the handle has a wide main bevel and then a fairly large secondary bevel on the same side.

Sliding my thumb perpendicular to the edge (knife closed) I can not feel ANY cutting edge. Every thing is just fine.
Sliding my thumb along the length of the edge (knife closed) I can not feel any cutting edge. Every thing is just fine.

If you are still with me, here are some additional fun facts :
The blade thickness: Max ~1.38 mm, most of it is ~ 1.36mm
On the other side of the blade from the "BOKER plus" label acid etched into the blade is : John Kubasek, maker, East Hampton, MA, 440 C Stainless Steel.

Apparently this knife could perhaps be made in the USA.

The titanium handle is medium gray in color, the pocket clip is black and made of steel (not Ti).

If, with time and use, I find I hate this knife I will up date and eat crow but, so far, I think I have a winner here.

If you are the type who could bind an an elephant with a spider's web, rather than stun him with a kick then you many find the subtleties of this knife intriguing. (= roughly a movie quote)
on March 24, 2014
This is the second of these knives I have owned. I had the first one for about 2 years before I forgot it was in my wallet and consequently donated it to the TSA. The blade is pretty large for such a compact knife and the quality is excellent. It's not a primary knife but it's a great back up if you forget to bring one and you absolutely need to cut something. Some people have left negative reviews but I used my original knife dozens of times and it held an edge well and I found the liner lock to be quite sturdy. If you're looking for one of the most compact knives you can carry and is still very sturdy and functional then I would highly recommend this one.
on August 28, 2013
I ordered the knife prior to reading the reviews.

Glad I did. The first thing I did was remove the clip and it fits nicely in my very thin front pocket, money clip, wallet.
The knife was very sharp, I immediately cut up the cardboard Amazon box it came it without problem.
Regarding the foldback issue... there is a screw as a stop and didn't notice any problem. Could be if you applie torque while cutting which might make it override the stop.

You're going to want to be careful with this knife anyway because it's so thin it might slip in your hand.
I would say that this isn't intended as a heavy duty knife but one you would use very infrequently.

A friend of mine has one and it works fine for cutting limes for drinks... :-)

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to my friends.
on August 18, 2013
This is a much better alternative to the folding "credit card" knives. Just as thin as a credit card and slightly smaller in length and width. When open, it locks up very sturdily. However, the tip of the knife barely recesses into a protective cover, giving you the feeling it could catch on something in your pocket. In my example, they "handle" of the knife was warped slightly so that the tip of the blade could align correctly into the too-small protective tip cap...not great quality control. Still, for the price and what it is used for, this is a very good deal. Comes with a beaded metal chain for wear the knife around the neck.