5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a Canon product and takes superb close-ups
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:34 Mins
Published on July 1, 2011 by Dave Linger

3.0 out of 5 stars Take it apart first!
Published on December 29, 2011 by MWheel

3.0 out of 5 stars Take it apart first!, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Bolo Canon EOS Macro Extension Tube Set Kit for Extreme Close-up, fits Canon EOS 1d,1ds,Mark II, III, IV, 5D, Mark II, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, Digital Rebel xt, xti, xs, xsi, t1i, t2i, 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 1000D with FREE MICRO CLEANING CLOTH (Electronics)
I was excited to receive this extension kit. I am a very novice photographer and am still learning how to use the new accessories I have recently received, including this one. A word of warning, the box contains the extension kit and NOTHING else - no instructions. I put the set on my camera, it fit very easily and my lens hooked on very easily as well. BUT, then I couldn't get it off! Just remember, this set unscrews into 4 different rings, and the pin on the side has to be pushed down in order to take your lens off. When I first placed this on my camera, the rings wouldn't budge and neither would the pin. I finally got the rings to unscrew, but I still couldn't get the final one off of my lens! I had to come back to Amazon and find a review that told me how to get the lens off. Even then, I had to push on the pin really hard before it finally moved. Once I finally got it budged, it moved very easily. I would highly recommend unscrewing all of the rings and pushing the pin BEFORE you put it on your camera!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a Canon product and takes superb close-ups, July 1, 2011
Length:: 1:34 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, May 18, 2011
These extension tubes work great and I'd recommend to others, as long as you know what you're getting into. Their are no electronics, so if you're shooting digital you'll have to set your aperture before removing the lens, and of course it's manual focus only.

Construction is cheap, but as expected. I use these with a 50mm 1.4 and a 7D. It fits snugly on both the lens and body end.

Canon brand tubes would be far superior in every way, but a full set like this would cost hundreds of dollars. With these you can have a lot of fun and get introduced to macro for $15.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, September 7, 2012
Taonian Chen (northridge, ca United States) - See all my reviews
Having read the negative reviews that the extension tube is hard to be taken off from the lens, I was very reluctant to buy this product. Finally I decided to make a try at the cost of dumping it in case it is useless. The product arrived almost a month earlier than the shipper promised. It's not as hard to take off the lens from the extension tube as some consumers complained. The product came in a plastic mailing bag without any user's manual. You have to figure out how to use it all by yourself. Actually it's very easy to take the lens off. There is only one screw in all tubes so it's very easy to locate the screw. Make sure to loosen this screw. Don't worry that the lens will fall off once the lens is attached. The procedure to attach/take off the lens to the tube is just the same as the regular way the lens is attached to the camera, and the tube to camera as well (align the red dot, push the button on the camera to take off the lens etc). When you want to take the lens off just put the tube on the table with the lens facing you. Push down the above mentioned screw with the thumb of one of your hand and turn the lens counterclockwisely with the other hand. The lens is taken off right away. At the price of $7.88 including S&H it's worth the money. As the most reviews say you can't use auto focus and control the aperture. The distance from lens to the object is extremely close. You may have to make a few attempts to find the appropriate distance. Then you can put the camera on the tripod and take picture. I recommend this product if you want to experience the extreme macro photography.
Suggestion:
1. Use tripod and remote cord.
2. Use lens with f= 105mm to get best field depth.
3. Disregard setting aperture as the aperture is fixed at maximum size as long as you attach the extension tube to the lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Recommended, December 16, 2011
I got this to play with macro, I didn't want to spend $50, much less $200, to try something I might not use that much.

It came in a simple box, well packaged but not fancy (says the guy that wraps presents in newspaper and duct tape, with the recipient's name signed using a glue gun), and a day earlier then I expected which was really convenient. It does *not* autofocus, which I wouldn't have used anyways so I don't consider it a negative. The metal was actually surprisingly good, I've bought cheap stuff that works but, well, get what you pay for and I expected this to not be high quality... Again, not fancy, but it felt good and not some cheap material. When I stacked all three with a Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 - just to see how a different lens would work, I usually use the 50mm f1.8 - it felt a tad wobbly at times, but only a tad and nothing that concerned me. Didn't feel any wobbling with the smaller, 50mm f1.8.

Another big plus with it is that it comes in different strengths (1, 2, 3) which can be combined for a max of 6 - which I haven't even tried - and I really like that because it covers basically the whole range of macro and doesn't limit me, from a flower filling the frame to well nigh microscopic. And it's much cheaper then other solutions, and not as fragile as bellows. All in all, highly recommend to anyone who wants to play with macro photography as this allows you to find out what part of it you like with little cost.

My only recommendation is if you do get into it, and it really goes for any part of macro photography, is to keep in mind using another light source. Lamps, big flashlights, speedlights, etc. etc. because you really need those external flash sources to pull it off most of the time as it gets preetty dark pretty quickly. But for $12, can't go far wrong, can you? Just don't buy pizza tonight and you're golden!

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, October 3, 2011
Ronald R. Smith (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
These rings are well made but the pin that locks into the lens is cheap and quit working right away
The lens just falls off
I would not buy again

5.0 out of 5 stars they work just like expected!, July 28, 2011
I don't have a need to use extension rings often, but when I do these are really handy! I do macro work all summer long, and these coupled with a remote flash trigger allow me to reach out and touch little-tiny-things with adequate magnification and light.

Extension rings let us increase magnification without affecting f/stops, which is important for me since I'm adapting all-manual legacy glass to digital cameras. The ability to see-to-focus and then stop down to shoot is nice (tripods are a must too).

As with all plastic threaded lens adapters, use care to not cross thread. I've been using these with other cameras for years without cross threading one yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very shady., January 1, 2013
The quality of these is very flimsy. They won't lock on, so every time I try to use the manual focus there is a high probability for them to detach, putting my lens at risk. It comes with absolutely no instructions or documentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative to buying a new lens!, May 22, 2013
I got this a few weeks ago, and really like what it can do in for macros. You have to play with it a bit, particularly with the DOF, because most of the lens' only set the aperture to take the picture....if you set the aperture, and remove the lens, it will revert to the most open stop (on the 18-55 kit lens is f/3.5), which gives you a shallow DOF for the macro.

In order to get the aperture that you desire, set up you camera WITHOUT the extension tubes attached (ie lens on camera), then press the DOF button on the left side of the camera body on the lens mount...while holding the button down, release the lens from the camera. ..you can let go of the button now... You should be able to see a smaller aperture on the lens if you look through it.

Then you can apply the extension tubes to your heart's content and get the picture that you desired with a deeper DOF.

I hope that helps!

1.0 out of 5 stars Its always nice to get something stuck on your $700 camera, February 2, 2013
First off I know its 8 bucks and I shouldn't complain. But after reading all the reviews and seeing what type of extensions at a good price that were out there I thought I found my product. But after having it get stuck on my camera for an hour and in my mind I was thinking omg its the end of a good run with my cannon I decided to take some pictures and see if it worked. Which it did not work at all. The images (if they were images) were completely blurry and this was at every extension level and you could not see anything and I tried it on every mode on my camera. After I finally got it off my camera I put it back in the damaged box it came in and hit return on amazon. I am just going to get the macro lens they have out there and the actual lense through cannon. Not playing with fire again

Rate and Discover Movies