5.0 out of 5 stars It's Timeless
Published on November 9, 2010 by Ryan Matthews

3.0 out of 5 stars Why ignore the early hits?
Published on November 16, 2010 by Lonnie C. Haley

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Timeless, November 9, 2010
First let me say that I'm amongst the younger generation of Bon Jovi fans. I was born in 1985, so I wasn't an avid music fan until the 'Crush' album. From there, I had to work my way backwards, and though I've listened to every album (incl. '100,000,000 BJ Fans Can't Be Wrong') beginning to end, the fans that were listening to Bon Jovi while they were on the rise in the 80's and early 90's might be able to give you a more accurate depiction of how well this Greatest Hits album represents Bon Jovi through the years. However, I'm gonna take a stab at it.

The album is divided into two discs of which feature 16 and 12 songs, respectively. All but two songs on either CD are previously released songs/singles spanning Bon Jovi's 25+ years in the music business. The first thing I looked for was album representation, and I was disappointed to find that only nine of the band's eleven studio albums were featured. I'll quickly break it down for you:

Bon Jovi: 1 song - "Runaway"
7800º Fahrenheit - None
Slippery When Wet: 3 songs - "Livin' On A Prayer", "You Give Love A Bad Name", "Wanted Dead Or Alive"
New Jersey: 5 songs - "Bad Medicine", "Born To Be My Baby", "I'll Be There For You", "Lay Your Hands On Me", "Blood On Blood"
Keep The Faith: 3 songs - "In These Arms", "Keep The Faith", "Bed Of Roses"
These Days: 2 songs - "This Ain't A Love Song", "These Days"
Crush: 1 song - "It's My Life"
Bounce: None
Have A Nice Day: 2 songs - "Who Says You Can't Go Home (feat. Jennifer Nettles)", "Have A Nice Day"
Lost Highway: 2 songs - "Lost Highway", "(You Want To) Make A Memory"
The Circle: 2 songs - "We Weren't Born To Follow", "When We Were Beautiful"

- The other three previously released songs are "Always" and "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night", from the greatest hits album 'Cross Road' in 1994, and "Blaze Of Glory", first released in 1990 on Jon Bon Jovi's solo album of the same title.

You see it yourself. While the 'New Jersey' album is easily the highest regarded on this compilation, '7800º Fahrenheit' and 'Bounce' were not represented at all. While I understand neither was by any means a defining album for Bon Jovi, both needed to be recognized on here as part of the band's repertoire, especially "In & Out Of Love." Also, in my opinion, 'Bounce' could have been represented by either 'Everyday' or 'Misunderstood', preferably the latter if you ask me. While neither song was ever a major cog in the Bon Jovi machine (especially in the U.S.), both singles were present on various charts throughout the world and "Everyday" was even nominated for a Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Group With Vocal.

Four other songs I thought should've made the cut:
** "Raise Your Hands" from 'Slippery When Wet' - Also one of, if not the best live song the band does, in my opinion (from the two times I saw Bon Jovi live)
** "Never Say Goodbye" from 'Slippery When Wet' - This is probably the most glaring exclusion on the album; reached #11 on the U.S. Mainstream rock charts in '87
** "Dry County" from 'Keep The Faith' - It never quite reached the level of popularity I think it deserved, probably because of its length (nearly 10 minutes), but I personally think this is the most underrated single, maybe even song, the band has ever released
** "I Love This Town" from 'Lost Highway' - It was never released as a single, but I've heard it used in various promos/TV spots over the past few years, most notably for me by Major League Baseball

The biggest problem isn't really a problem at all. I went to a Bon Jovi concert in New Jersey when he was on The Circle Tour, and he played about thirty songs (a massive set that lasted over three hours); yet when my friend and I were leaving the stadium, she was talking about some of the songs she wished the band had played. Well... the same thing goes for this album; this band has so many hits that no matter how you pick and choose your favorites, something is going to be left off and somebody is going to be disappointed.
Now, personally, I thought "Blood On Blood" was a take it or leave it song. Of course I could, and probably will, be in the minority. But either way, it's a great problem to have when you actually have too many hits for a 2-disc set. I've always thought when you're releasing an album of songs already released before, you should fill up as much of the CD as possible. There's no logical reason why an even thirty songs couldn't have been used here. When you do a 'Greatest Hits', especially (as some reviewers have noted prior to me), an >"Ultimate"< Greatest Hits, you should spare none of the essential cuts. This could very well be the album that teenagers are buying twenty years from now when they're first introduced to Bon Jovi's music. You don't want them to miss out on anything.

Now, onto the new songs.
"What Do You Got" - A mid-tempo love song, classic Bon Jovi. It didn't really catch on with me 'til recently. I like it, but it's quite not in that "repeat" zone for me. 8/10

"The More Things Change" - Sounds like something that would've fit very well onto 'The Circle' album. Kind of a retro-ed up modern rock song. Again, it didn't quite hit me as anything spectacular, but I've grown fond of it over a few listens. 8/10

"This Is Love This Is Life" - This song struck me from the first listen. Great up-tempo song, great for concerts. I will even go as far as to say it's an anthem in the making. It's very, very vintage 80's Bon Jovi. I fell in love with it by the end of the first chorus. 9.5/10

"No Apologies" - Very quirky song from a pretty polished band. I don't even know how to really describe it. It's a song that has momentum and finds its way on a creative pace and a great guitar solo from our good man, Richie. 8.5/10

Bands like Bon Jovi last so long that by the time they're finally done doing their thing, they may have two or three different Greatest Hits albums. For all we know (and I hope this is the case), Jon and Richie could write another five albums and we'll see the "Ultimate Super Hits" Bon Jovi collection in 2025.
For now, this album has some imperfections, but it's still one of the most complete GH albums I've ever come across from a band whose career spans more than a decade. There's very little to complain about, at least from my perspective. My only gripes I made a point of on here (because everyone needs to hear both the pros and the cons), but what it boils down to is you're getting 28 of the best songs this band has written over a quarter of a century. This is where listeners first getting into Bon Jovi need to start.

Highly recommended.

A-

4.0 out of 5 stars Hit After Hit After Hit..., November 9, 2010
Some claim Jon Bon Jovi is single-handedly responsible for the hole in the ozone layer, citing all that unfortunate 80s hairspray. More importantly, others have tirelessly repeated that Bon Jovi is consummately overrated and that their winning streak is sure to hit a wall.

Their fame, however, has long outlasted that classic 15 minutes. They are still around, and the reasons for that cover this record from top to bottom. Like it or not, the songs in this "Greatest Hits" package - especially the first disc - have been and will continue to be unavoidable. In the supermarket, on terrestrial radio, at frat parties and weddings, hits like "Living on a Prayer," "It's My Life," "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "We Weren't Born to Follow" will continue to superimpose themselves upon our lives.

They have catchy choruses and memorable melodies that continue to endure, and "Greatest Hits" fuses them into one convenient package, released - in no coincidence of circumstance - right in time for the holidays.

The single disc edition is ideal for the casual fan and has all the hallmark hits those listeners would be interested in, including the recent and excellent "Who Says You Can't Go Home," although the second disc has some fine deep cuts - the highly listenable 1995 single "This Ain't a Love Song," for instance. Other smaller hits that are missing - 2003's "Everyday," for instance - should not bother the average fan.

The new songs provide further incentive to take a look at "Greatest Hits," although "What Do You Got," chosen as the single from this release, is the least interesting of them with its paint-by-numbers choruses and bridges. It is not worth too many repeat spins, especially compared with the hits.

"No Apologies" recycles the same old Bon Jovi themes of take-no-prisoners independence and living life to the fullest, but it still rocks solidly.

The other new tracks only accompany the 2-disc version, but they are far better than the aforementioned. "This Is Love This Is Life" is similar to "No Apologies" but has far better lyrics, more impassioned vocals and rocks even harder. It would make an awesome concert opener.

"The More Things Change" aptly rounds out with its bittersweet, hard-won retrospection. It is a triumphant moment - a moment of looking back at the past and taking stock of the present, both its trappings and its treasures:

"Yesterday keeps coming round - it's just reality/It's the same damn song with a different melody..."

"Greatest Hits" offers up a nice selection of hits and a few new offerings that forecast future endeavors for the band - truth in advertising, for certain.

4.0 out of 5 stars What Made Bon Jovi, November 9, 2010
This review is from: Bon Jovi Greatest Hits - The Ultimate Collection (MP3 Music)
It has been nearly 30 years since Bon Jovi broke out of New Jersey, and have driven many rock fans to tears and cheers. Since then, they've made mostly not just the cornerstones of arena rock that we've seen today, but honestly some of the most timeless songs that are still just as exciting to hear today, as they were back in their success days in the 80's and 90's. Hard to believe, they've still shown that they've got it after those eras as well. But when it has came down to it, they just keep getting better with age not just with new fans, but for those hard core fans who've owned their first copies of Slippery When Wet when they were first released back in the 1986. But, yet witha soon to be possible induction into the Rock & Roll Hall OF Fame, they have released a pair of hits albums not just to remind new fans and hard core that they weren't just born to follow, they were born to hit home runs.

Bon Jovi Greatest Hits: The Ultimate Collection double album is a simple and straight-forward hits collection that delivers mostly well for all-around fans that've loved Bon Jovi through thick and thin. The collection does show it mostly well by including their prime cuts into one nice hits package. The songs have been remastered well, and feel like a new breath of fresh air, ina industry that stopped making really strong acts, and stronger songs. The Ultimate Collection sums up the over quarter-century that Bon Jovi has delivered with hits like Always, the driven Cruch smash It's My Life, the groups breakthroughs' from the 80's like Wanted Dead Or Alive, Lay Your Hands On Me, and Bad Medicine to just name a few. The collection handles very well, at showcasing the primes of Jon, Richie, Tico and David's strengths of songs, even with some of their most recent songs like We Weren't Born To Follow and Who Says You Can't Go Home. While the collection handles strongly, I was surprised that there were still a few great songs from the group that weren't delivered here like Something For The Pain, Misunderstood & Everyday from 2003's Bounce, and Superman Tonight from last years' The Circle. I was honestly surprised when they included the overshadowed This Ain't A Love Song from 1995's These Days was put into the mix, but some of their other bright gems weren't.

Still, despite a few great overlooked tracks, Bon Jovi Greatest Hits: The Ultimate Collection is a great reflection to why Bon Jovi became one of the biggest bands in the world, and took the power ballads for all audiences into the stratosphere. The collection is a great buy for anyone who has never-owned a Bon Jovi album before, or for anyone that wants something a bit of Jon into their MP3 Player, and its still Bon Jovi's life. There have been very few greatest hits albums that've shown to be worth their money that came out this year, and this is honestly one of them. So lay your hands on Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits - The Ultimate Collection.

Songs: B 1/2+

Price: B+

Remastering: B 1/2+

Overall: B 1/2+

3.0 out of 5 stars Why ignore the early hits?, November 16, 2010
Ok, I am a big Bon Jovi fan and will be seeing them in concert for the 4th time soon. I have to say that this GH album is crap to ignore the first two albums besides "Runaway" and that the Bounce album is left off too. Roulette, Shot Through the Heart, Get Ready, In & Out of Love, Only Lonely and Tokyo Road from the first two records should have been included in this "Ultimate" collection. Most of Bon Jovi's recent material is all political rock and it's so funny that the ticket prices contradict the meaning of some of there new songs. Jon Bon Jovi stated during one of the first shows off the Circle tour that they will be playing songs from the first two records live, but that only lasted a week. I own all the main albums so I recommend buying at least the first three, but the band essentially disowns 2/3 of that material. Just download the 4 new songs from this release for free somewhere on the internet and don't waste your hard earned money on the other hits you probably already have from the main albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Milestone, November 11, 2010
K. Kulick (Wilkes Barre, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Bon Jovi did it again. Anyone that doesnt like this and is writing crappy reviews are just ridiculous. They not only give us two full cds of hits but give us 4 extra brand new "hit" songs. Bon Jovi does a lot for their fans. They stream live concerts on youtube and facebook. They give presale tickets and dicounted tickets. Most important if theyre still around selling out stadiums hitting high on the charts thats why theyre still around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Overview of Bon Jovi's Career, November 18, 2010
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
Bon Jovi has been around for over 25 years now and their music has changed with them, this compilation is a statement of that. It's hard to please everyone and evolve in the music industry because there will always be fans who will say "your old stuff was better", to a certain degree I feel that way but I enjoyed just about each album the band has released and think the "new" sound isn't bad at all. It's great to see Bon Jovi still performing and releasing new music after more than 25 years in the music business, that's something alright. A 1 star review that claims Bon Jovi sucks or that they are the worst band ever doesn't explain much and isn't helpful to those figuring out whether or not to buy this new greatest hits album, I'd look for a more objective review if you're visiting this page. Someone who hates the band will not make a helpful recommendation, if you hate the band go on a forum and complain about it. Me? I'd rather let the music do the talking...

The single disc edition of Greatest Hits has 17 songs, including two new ones, while the double disc edition has 28 songs, including four new tracks. The first disc (which is the single edition of Greatest Hits) is the better one as it features classic. That doesn't mean disc two is bad, not at all, there are 12 songs on this disc and some good ones as well. I was surprised to see that Jon Bon Jovi's Blaze of Glory was included; however there is no other solo material on this collection. It's unfortunate that Greatest Hits ignores two albums completely, 1985's 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit ("In and out of love" would've been the obvious choice) and 2002's Bounce ("Misunderstood" would have been a great selection), at least one song of each of those albums should have been included in order for it to be more complete. It's not that big of a deal but to a huge fan of the band it might be. New Jersey is the album with the most songs represented here with a total of 5 (which is a little too much if you ask me).

The 4 new songs are a nice touch it gives something for the longtime fans who collect everything (even if I wish they would just release the new songs individually). The single "What Do You Got?" features a modern Bon Jovi with interesting lyrics and a different sound from their trademark 1980's sound, but I think "This Is Love This Is Life" is the strongest out of the new songs; it has vintage Bon Jovi qualities to it, nice sound and lyrics plus an undeniably catchy chorus to it. "The More Things Change" sounds like something that would be on The Circle or a recent Bon Jovi album, definitely not a bad song, pretty good actually. The same could be said of "No Apologies", it's not all that different from the material found on The Circle but it's a good song.

Otherwise there isn't much to complain about. No, not everyone's favorite songs are on Greatest Hits but it was to be expected with this collection. They included the obvious choices (Runaway, You Give Love A Bad Name, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Bad Medicine and so on, along with more recent songs like It's My Life, (You Want To) Make A Memory and We Weren't Born To Follow) and the hits and singles and it gives a pretty fair overview of Bon Jovi's career which is what buyers should be looking for. In terms of content most of this compilation is fine in my opinion. They even included two songs from last year's The Circle, I was not that big a fan of the album but I liked it for what it was and it's nice to see that it is also represented on Greatest Hits. The 1994 compilation Crossroads is an alternative but I still think this new greatest hits is better (the single disc edition is cheaper and has most of the songs on Crossroads). Good choice of songs, 4 new songs and two discs; not perfect but very good greatest hits album sure to please new fans or those who own no Bon Jovi.4/5

2.0 out of 5 stars WOW...Could use MORE songs, November 9, 2010
Well here we are again...another lackluster hits collection for the holiday season. All these songs are great songs but there are a few missing...In and Out Of Love??? Everyday??? Anything from 7800 or Bounce...NOPE!!! WHY??? There are only 12 songs on the second disc!!! Could have fit a few more!!! Would have loved for them to have included "Let it Rock" or "Raise Your Hands" C'mon guys...Oh wait...they must be waiting for a Hits Box Set...More money for us to spend!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC What else needs be said?, March 5, 2014
Yea, he is a lib. So I won't ever pay to see him live but his music rocks! You'll be well pleased with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than Great!, January 4, 2011
Not only do you get the greatest hits, but 4 new songs from what is one of the best of rock bands ever! Bon Jovi at their best is still better than nearly every other band on the scene today, with a career spanning more than 2 decades - a remarkable achievement with the quickly fading careers of most rock bands! This is a great album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi fan for 20+ years, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Bon Jovi Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I love the CD. However, I wish it had stated more clearly that this was the one disc version, because I would have rather purchased the 2 disc set.

Rate and Discover Movies