BonJour Coffee Ami-Matin 3-Cup French Press, Black
Size Name: 3-CupColor Name: Noir BlackChange
Price:$17.94 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 8, 2011
Size Name: 3-CupColor Name: Noir BlackVerified Purchase
Here's how I approached the decision to buy this product:
* Don't like the free coffee available at work
* Too cheap to buy a single-cup brewing station (and I hear they're big and loud)
* BUT, not interested in boiling water and grinding coffee every day
* And, don't like hand-washing things
Basically, I'm really lazy! Guess what, this French press still works for me.

I buy a pound of coffee at Starbucks and ask them to grind it for a French press. I keep it in two Ziplock bags from then on.

Each morning I put three scoops into the BonJour and use the hot water tap on our work coffee machine (see the customer image I posted). Wait 4 minutes, press and drink!

I rinse it all out afterwards and wipe with paper towels; once a week I take it home for a dishwasher cycle.

I'm sure that any coffee connoisseur would CRINGE at how I do this, but I'm not aiming to make the world's best cup... only to exceed the crud I am otherwise stuck with at work. I think the next best alternative would be to buy Starbucks Via packets.

***Update after 6 months***
Well I'm still very happy with this purchase BUT the plastic carafe is not indestructible. Mine has two cracks that originated at the upper rim and one is extending and becoming problematic. I'm fairly sure it happened in the dishwasher, though I don't think it was jostled around or anything. When I do replace this (soon) I will get one made of glass and I will get a bigger one. The size was not an issue at first, but this coffee is literally so good that one big mug no longer suffices!

One other tip--Starbucks will sell you a 1/2 pound of ground coffee, which is a LOT better for keeping it fresh. Be sure to specify that you want it coarsely ground for use in a press. Enjoy!

***Final update*** [dropping to 3 stars]
Threw it out. The crack grew--"indestructible" is a bold-faced lie! Can't argue with the price, but less than a year is not a good product life. The new one I bought is a glass carafe Oxo 4-cup: Oxo Good Grips French Press 4-Cup/17-ounce
review image
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2010
Size Name: 3-CupColor Name: Peridot GreenVerified Purchase
I purchased this after breaking two of the Bodum presses (they shatter easily). It's an improvement over the other Bonjour plastic press which received low reviews for not being durable. I like it much better than the Bodum. Both of the Bodum (3 cup) presses leaked a little from the bottom when pouring. This is perfect for ONE delicious mug of coffee,and I like the fact that I could order it in a color other than black.
Note- ignore "3 cups" It's 12 ounces and actually a little less since you can't fill it to the top or you won't be able to press.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 6, 2011
Size Name: 8-CupColor Name: Noir BlackVerified Purchase
We bought this press because our old one had a glass caraffe, which broke. The price seemed sweet for less than twenty bucks and free shipping for the black version. We have been using coffee presses for a decade, and really enjoyed our previous one. This one works just fine, but has a couple of annoying qualities. For some reason, if you pour too much liquid at once, it tends to dribble down the side, even as you are pouring it at a downward angle, and coffee ends up on the counter. You also have to be sure to hold the lid closed as you pour, otherwise the top will come loose and you'd have a mess. It's also difficult to push down all the way (or impossible) and you cannot get that last bit of coffee out. If you can accept all of these little things, and we have, the press does a find job of making a good cup of coffee. My hubby and I are the only 2 ppl who drink coffee here, so it makes enough for the 2 of us to get about a mug and a half each. So, it does the job.
on January 14, 2011
Size Name: 3-CupColor Name: Azure BlueVerified Purchase
I bought it to travel with. It feels pretty cheap so you have to be careful with it. But it works well & makes good coffee. Like all French press makers I've used, you will get some fine sediment in the bottom of your cup.
UPDATE: It broke after a few months using it. Sent it back to BonJour and they sent me a new one at no charge. Took about 6 weeks. Nice to know manufacturer stands behind the product.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size Name: 8-CupColor Name: Noir BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like French Press coffee, in Europe we called them cafetières, but what's in a name?
Bonjour Ami-Matin make quite a selection of high quality products, with an emphasis on functionality without losing style, and this is no exception.
The unbreakable Tritan plastic beaker is a plus (I smashed my last glass one by dropping it while cleaning)and of course dishwasher safe is essential these days.
Where this scores high for me is in the silicon edged patented filtering lid that really cuts down on sediment, compared to my older steel edged pistons, let's hope it has the same longevity.
Another plus of course is BPA Free. If you don't know why that's a big deal (and I didn't until I looked it up) Bisphenol A used extensively in plastic materials in compounds since the 30's has been linked in a small number of cases over the years to health issues, ranging from Hormone imbalance, fetus damage and obesity, so if they're making their stuff without it, that has to be good.
Aesthetically I like it too, it's very simple but elegant, and looks much more expensive than it is. It also makes a great gift for that coffee lover in your life.
Of course none of this means anything unless the coffee tastes good, and it does.
I wouldn't presume to say which coffee is best, after all tastes vary immensely, but the patented filter does allow very fine espresso ground coffee to be used without swimming in grit at the bottom of the cup. I recommend illy Caffe Normale Drip Grind Coffee (Medium Roast, Blue Band), 8.8-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2) but that's just me.
On a final note, this is an 8 cup French Press, that's 8 COFFEE cups, if like me you like a mug of coffee in the morning, you'll get almost 3 from this if it's full, less obviously if you take it without cream and sugar.
5 stars
on March 17, 2011
Size Name: 8-CupColor Name: Noir BlackVerified Purchase
This is the first press I've owned, and I've had it for a few weeks now. I drink Dunkin' Donuts coffee religiously and will go dry before I drink the 'bux. First things first, I put 8 scoops of Italian espresso in the press for its first use, and I was on the ceiling for about 7 hours. I dropped back to 6 scoops, and finally found that 4 scoops with a full press of water is drinkable without making me nuts. When you seat the lid and filter to start steeping, don't sit the filter directly at the surface of the water. Otherwise, the rubber seals on the edge can lockup with the wall, requiring significant pressure to get the plunger and filter going down. If you push too hard, you will get hot coffee (and grinds) spraying up through the lid and all over your hands and counter. Leave some air between the filter and the surface of the water so that once you get started moving the filter, it won't stop when it reaches the water.

That being said, once you develop the perfect method to pressing the plunger and finding the right mix of coffee and water, first timers will find this is the most delicious cup of coffee you've had in a long time. I'm very happy with my purchase and love having coffee at home without having to buy paper filters anymore. Will suggest it to anyone, especially newcomers.

UPDATE 6/19/2011: The filter disk only lasted 2 1/2 months of household use. It started by developing small cracks around the point where the metal post screws into the top the filter disk. Then the edges of the disk started to separate, resulting in more grinds making it past the filter. Within two days of the disk starting to split open, the disk finally failed and the entire center tore right out of the disk while lifting the plunger. I'm returning it under what looks like a pretty easy going warranty. No RMA #. Just mail it to them with a note. They inspect it and replace it at their discretion. I will update this review when I know more. They say to expect it to take 6 weeks. Let's see how it goes. Two stars for now. Even for $25, it should last 3 months!

UPDATE 8/5/2011: Great news, the company honored their "easy RMA" process, exactly to the day that I expected to hear from them. I threw the busted unit back in the original box (with no packing) and they replaced the whole thing (not just the broken plunger and disk). They reused my box and didn't add any new packaging, so if you want yours protected during return shipping, include what you want them to use. Again, just mail them your broken unit with a short note of what happened, and they'll replace it free forever. Don't buy replacement units! I sent mine for $6 2-3 day USPS. No RMA # needed. Just tell them where to ship it.
on October 4, 2013
Size Name: 8-CupColor Name: Noir Black
After a few months of careful use, the top plastic layer of the filter disc crumbled and broke. The filter disc's pieces fell apart, rendering the plunger completely unusable. The disc didn't crack or snap; the most central part, which attaches to the metal pole, kind of "punched out", so the plastic sandwich can't stay together, and the rubber disc, along with the top plastic layer, stays at the top of the carafe, while only the bottom plastic layer and the attached metal mesh get pushed to the bottom. I am planning to see if BonJour can replace it for me, but I think people should know that the filter disc just fell apart. I intend to edit this review after I contact BonJour.

Also, this may be one of the cheaper products they offer, but it is described as "unbreakable". I am sure they are referring to the carafe alone, but it's pretty useless if the filtering mechanism is super breakable.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Bon Jour Ami-Martin Unbreakable French press is simple, elegant and functional. I have a black colored unit and it looks very sharp. The handle is just right to grip when I press the grounds/water and comfortable for safe pouring. All the parts seem very well made for something so inexpensive and they all fit together quite well. You get a small scoop to judge how much ground coffee to add to your mixture.

It is simplicity itself to use. One scoop per one cup of coffee. Add your coffee and your boiling water and stir. Put the lid on and arrange it so the spout is in the closed position with the splatter guard to prevent spillage. Hold the handle and with the other hand gently but firmly press down on the plunger. Then just turn the lid again so the filtered spout is lined up with the main spout and serve.

This is my first French press and this is a GREAT way to make coffee. I use Starbucks daily, grind it myself and until now have just used a small Mr. Coffee with a filter. This makes much more flavorful coffee and of course it is quite a bit stronger. I need to experiment more with my coffee to water ratio to tone it down just a bit so I don't bounce off the walls.

Cleaning is not too tough, I just take it apart over the garbage pail and dispose of most of the grounds, then rinse it out and soak for a bit in hot water , then rinse and air dry all the parts. It is a bit more work than my Mr, Coffee, but the rewards are a REALLY good cup of flavorful (and strong) coffee. I have no reason to think the Bon Jour won't be durable. If you have never tried this before, give it a shot, you might just get hooked. If you already use a French press, I imagine this one will compare favorably to whatever you have used. Time for another cup! Bzzzzzz.............
on January 21, 2012
Size Name: 3-CupColor Name: Rouge RedVerified Purchase
I purchased this in March 2011 and it worked well for a while. I used it about 2 to 3 times a week and didn't put it in the dishwasher so it has NOT been overused or abused. After about 7 months, it began a small leak from the bottom when I would press it down. I decided to order the Bonjour glass carafe to replace it because I wasn't having any problems with anything else. Now it is January and the whole press thing broke apart. It seems like the heat from the hot water was too much for it and caused the plastic to break. I don't understand why you would put out an item to make hot coffee and not use a plastic strong enough to handle the heat? It has not even lasted a year. I have contacted Bonjour's customer service and hope they will be able to make things right but just wanted to share my experience.
on October 21, 2013
Size Name: 3-CupColor Name: Noir BlackVerified Purchase
I purchased a red "3-cup" model and I am not sure what size of cups they used to determine that. I have smaller restaurant/cafe style cups, not large mugs, and this press filled barely enough for 1 cup. So don't be fooled by advertised cup capability. This press also lasted about 3 months with moderate use before it broke. The plastic for the internal press corroded and basically disintegrated so that it essentially feel apart. For the price, this is definitely not worth your money. Maybe if it was $3.00, I would recommend purchasing, and then I would also recommend purchasing multiple presses for replacements. Look elsewhere!!!!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations