I got these as a present with some creme brulee cookbooks I wanted and I actually went back and ordered the set that has 4 more of these and a creme brulee torch (because I didn't have the torch yet!) I wanted a set of 8 as these are great at dinner parties for two reasons...very pretty side dish item for vegetables, but it makes the perfect dramatic dessert.

I...
Published on August 16, 2010 by Chandler

2.0 out of 5 stars Passable; but poor quality, had to return 2 of 4 sets:
Ultimately, they are OK for the inexpensive items that they are. There are blemishes (lumps, flow marks) in the glaze on practically all the bowls. Two of the four sets had crevices/gaps in the glaze that were unacceptable. Amazon was great about exchanging them, though. If these weren't so inexpensive I'd recommend against buying them. You get what you pay for.
Published on December 13, 2007 by Jeremy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, they are safe...no paint, and they work perfectly for more than just brulee, August 16, 2010
This review is from: BonJour Cr?me Brulee Ramekins Oval 4.5-Ounce, Set of 4 (Kitchen)

I can make the creme brulee ahead of time and then very dramatically torch the tops, top with berries and serve for a dessert that is both decadent and rich but doesn't taste heavy.

And rarely is there anyone who doesn't love creme brulee!

Though smaller in depth than some creme brulee dishes, I find them to be the perfect serving size and am very happy with them.

These look porcelain but are not. They are a white clay which is actually far stronger. However, they will pair well with porcelain

Finally,
In response to the review that worried about lead due to them being made in China. I wanted to ease that fear...I majored in art in college with my area of emphasis in pottery and photography and I owned a pottery studio for 5 years. I only mention that because I wanted to ease any concern there. If this were red or metallic looking glaze you might should worry but clear glaze over white clay will not have lead in it as it is not paint, it's glaze (a crystal that melts at high fire) and when it's fired to the temp these have to be to be hard, that is not a possibility in a clear glaze. Just to be sure before I reviewed it, however so I could say this...I have pottery lead test strips. No lead. I think you are thinking paint...that's a different process. These are fired to almost 2000 degrees for nearly 24 hours to get to how they look. (all pottery with a glaze is) If they weren't there would be crazing (fissures) in the glaze. So you are fine.

Painted items from china, however, are a different story...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, November 15, 2009
I love these ramekins. I actually purchased them for my work, as I am a chef. My guests love creme brulee and the oval shape is unusual. Easy to clean too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I expected, May 29, 2008
Tasha (Brandon, FL) - See all my reviews
I ordered these to go with a set I already had by another brand. They were slightly larger than the ones I had in my kitchen, but, as a guest, it wasn't noticeable. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who likes to make creme brulee, or who is interested in learning. They are very cheap, so if you decide it's not for you, you haven't lost much.

4.0 out of 5 stars NIce but small, March 1, 2010
Received these from my 'sweetie' on Valentine's Day after he made creme brulee and served it up in these. They are quite small though and we splurged and each ate 2! The recipe he made was to serve 4 but fills 8 of this sized container. 4 ounces is 1/2 cup. I have round ramekins that are bigger than these. To indicate the capacity, you could take and mix up a box of instant puddings and fill 4 of these to the rim; just be careful trying to move them to the frig without spilling. I love the white porcelain color and yet concerned too that they were 'Made in China'. Yet I've had no breakage and they clean easily by hand or in the dishwasher.

2.0 out of 5 stars Passable; but poor quality, had to return 2 of 4 sets:, December 13, 2007
Jeremy (Northern New York) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Creme Brulee Ramekin "Made in China" is safe, May 31, 2011
Other customers were concerned with "made in China" and lead content in glaze. Bought lead test kit at hardware store and tested ramekin. It was perfect. Happy with purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars right size, February 13, 2013
They are just right for single serving dishes, individual servings of dips, create crab dip. I have not tried any desserts yet but will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for butter!, January 14, 2013
We originally had 2 ramekins that were completely round but they broke (I dropped them) over time. These ramekins are oval/oblong and subsequently fit great for a stick of butter. Don't hesitate from buying this product, it is dishwasher and microwave safe! Not husband safe as yet.....

2.0 out of 5 stars are they safe?, November 24, 2008
riggs "Riggs" (Cooperstown, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I was pleased to locate these dishes and bought two sets for creme brulee. However, I was displeased when they arrived and I realized the bottom of each dish is labelled not only with the Bonjour name but also with "made in china." No where did it mention where they were made. I now worry that they may not be safe - due to a high lead level in the glaze.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value. Good Crème Brűlée Ramekins, August 9, 2014
These arrived with no chips or other cosmetic and work very well. The size is great for a single-portion dessert, holding just over 1/2 cup of liquid. Also, the ceramic does not discolor when caramelizing the sugar with a torch.

Since I was used to making crème brűlée in ramekins, which require a slightly different cook time, I had to adjust so as not to curdle the custard. If using for the first time, be sure to watch the custards closely towards the end of the bake time for indication of curdling.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›