5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The Other Brand
I owned two Bodum French presses and broke - and replaced - the glass

carafes for both of them. And then I broke them both again (always in the

sink, always trying to wash them quickly in the morning so I could just get

some caffeine into me!) So I thought I'd give this model a try because my

Bialetti is a pain first thing in...
Published on August 23, 2005 by S. Wussow

1.0 out of 5 stars Screen breaks quickly - Manufacturer Doesn't Offer Warranty
Published on December 8, 2005 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The Other Brand, August 23, 2005
I owned two Bodum French presses and broke - and replaced - the glass

carafes for both of them. And then I broke them both again (always in the

sink, always trying to wash them quickly in the morning so I could just get

some caffeine into me!) So I thought I'd give this model a try because my

Bialetti is a pain first thing in the morning (but otherwise great for

impressing guests.) ;-)

Am I ever glad I got this! The BonJour is superior to my old presses in so

many ways:

First, obviously, it won't break when I wash it. I love the flat bottom -

none of that four-legged-metal-base tippiness in the sink or on the counter.

And the fat rubber ring on the bottom? It's removeable - it's just there to

insulate your pot and keep it stable on the table.

I was concerned when I read elsewhere that the filter on these models

couldn't be taken apart for cleaning. With my Bodum presses, grounds would

always get lodged between the screen and the metal frame that held it in

place - really icky if you didn't unscrew them and wash the plate, screen,

and stem each time (a major pain - probably why my dirty pot remained

unwashed until I needed it the next morning, and... well, you know where

that led.)

Well, on the BonJour, grounds never get into the screen - the plunger has a

rubber rim that keeps everything down below, where it belongs, and the edges

of the screen are sealed. A quick swish in soapy water and you're

finished... no reassambly required. (In reading the previous review, about

the plastic screen pins giving way, I'd just suggest using minimal pressure

when pushing the plunger down, and making sure the screen's rubber rim is

wet before inserting it into the pot, as the directions indicate - that'll

put less stress on those pins, I think.)

With my Bodums, the screen/plunger would remain about 1/2" above the base of

the pot when fully "plunged". Because of this, the grounds would all slosh

to the side of the spout when you were pouring, and a lot of coffee or tea

would remain in the base behind the dam of grounds. You'd have to roll the

pot from side to side to get the remaning coffee out, invariably spilling as

much as you gained. The BonJour's plunger goes all the way to the base, so

pouring is much easier - no dam of grounds to block the liquid.

The BonJour also has a fine sediment screen at the top of the pot (you can

bypass it if you'd like) which means NO floaties in your coffee or tea. And

I mean FINE - it's not like the silly, wide grate on the Bodum, which was no

help at all.

This is much lighter than the same-sized Bodum, and the handle is very wide

and comfortable to hold (it feels rubberized and won't slip in your hand).

And you can't beat the price.

If I ever DO break or otherwise damage this one (I have heard you can put

them in the microwave but I'm not taking any chances - similarly, I don't

put rolling-boiling water in, but add it just before it boils or wait for it

to cool a bit after, to avoid any melting problems), then for SURE I am

going to get another BonJour.

Of course, as with ALL French presses, when they say 8 "cups", they mean

espresso cups; this holds about 3 American mugs, or 32 oz. / 4 measuring

cups at the top of the black rim. Someday they'll get that standardized for

us!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbreakable BUT * * *, March 12, 2005
I have owned three versions of this brand's unbreakable French press over the years. I once owned another brand's glass models that were just too fragile.

With each version of this press, I have gotten years of reliable, daily service. And yes, the carafe is unbreakable. HOWEVER, today, as with each prior one I have owned, the screen assembly in the press came apart -- the plastic pins were not all well glued and slowly the press pulled apart as I pulled the press out for cleaning after each use.

I would say I got my money's worth out of each unit. And, I intend to buy another.

1.0 out of 5 stars Screen breaks quickly - Manufacturer Doesn't Offer Warranty, December 8, 2005
The press worked great for a 2 weeks, However, the screen housing broke. I called the original manufacturer & they explained they sold Bonjour division to Meyer. CSR did say that they replaced this part "without question" when they owned the Bonjour line. The new Bonjour owner, Meyer (also owns Circulon among others), offers no warranty and could not take an order for the part since it was out of stock for next month at least. They said I could call back in a month and they'd order part for me, but it would not be covered under warranty. I have 2 Bodum presses & have nothing but good things to say for their products.

So - if you do buy one of these, watch for small cracks where the screen mount attaches to the press rod. But - better yet - avoid this product since Meyer has unfriendly customer services practices.

3.0 out of 5 stars LAZY SOLUTION TO BETTER COFFEE, April 8, 2011
Nick85NY (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
Here's how I approached the decision to buy this product:
* Don't like the free coffee available at work
* Too cheap to buy a single-cup brewing station (and I hear they're big and loud)
* BUT, not interested in boiling water and grinding coffee every day
* And, don't like hand-washing things
Basically, I'm really lazy! Guess what, this French press still works for me.

I buy a pound of coffee at Starbucks and ask them to grind it for a French press. I keep it in two Ziplock bags from then on.

Each morning I put three scoops into the BonJour and use the hot water tap on our work coffee machine (see the customer image I posted). Wait 4 minutes, press and drink!

I rinse it all out afterwards and wipe with paper towels; once a week I take it home for a dishwasher cycle.

I'm sure that any coffee connoisseur would CRINGE at how I do this, but I'm not aiming to make the world's best cup... only to exceed the crud I am otherwise stuck with at work. I think the next best alternative would be to buy Starbucks Via packets.

***Update after 6 months***
Well I'm still very happy with this purchase BUT the plastic carafe is not indestructible. Mine has two cracks that originated at the upper rim and one is extending and becoming problematic. I'm fairly sure it happened in the dishwasher, though I don't think it was jostled around or anything. When I do replace this (soon) I will get one made of glass and I will get a bigger one. The size was not an issue at first, but this coffee is literally so good that one big mug no longer suffices!

One other tip--Starbucks will sell you a 1/2 pound of ground coffee, which is a LOT better for keeping it fresh. Be sure to specify that you want it coarsely ground for use in a press. Enjoy!

***Final update*** [dropping to 3 stars]
Threw it out. The crack grew--"indestructible" is a bold-faced lie! Can't argue with the price, but less than a year is not a good product life. The new one I bought is a glass carafe Oxo 4-cup: Oxo Good Grips French Press 4-Cup/17-ounce

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with product, December 21, 2010
This review is from: BonJour Coffee Ami-Matin 3-Cup French Press, Green (Kitchen)
I purchased this after breaking two of the Bodum presses (they shatter easily). It's an improvement over the other Bonjour plastic press which received low reviews for not being durable. I like it much better than the Bodum. Both of the Bodum (3 cup) presses leaked a little from the bottom when pouring. This is perfect for ONE delicious mug of coffee,and I like the fact that I could order it in a color other than black.
Note- ignore "3 cups" It's 12 ounces and actually a little less since you can't fill it to the top or you won't be able to press.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT Unbreakable,TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!, January 16, 2006
Miss BB "eyecon" (New York, New York USA) - See all my reviews
I recently bought two of these presses within two months of each other. The carafe is virtually unbreakable and of good manufacture,

but the press piece with the plunger and screen are made of plastic

and both cracked in the same place, making the presses unusable.

I sent my Amazon receipts to the company which states on its information card that it will replace the component or comparable

product.

What did I get in the mail after waiting at least 6 weeks and

paying for shipping? My broken piece back in the box, with a form letter saying that I "did not" HAVE A WARRANTY! The limited warranty is attached to the product!

To top it off the letter said it enclosed a 35% off coupon to use with it's site Potsandpans.com....Guess what NO COUPON enclosed!

I have had one of these presses in the past and it was great, but

I am wondering if the company and manufacturing changed.

Recommendation DO NOT BUY!

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but could be better, June 6, 2011
We bought this press because our old one had a glass caraffe, which broke. The price seemed sweet for less than twenty bucks and free shipping for the black version. We have been using coffee presses for a decade, and really enjoyed our previous one. This one works just fine, but has a couple of annoying qualities. For some reason, if you pour too much liquid at once, it tends to dribble down the side, even as you are pouring it at a downward angle, and coffee ends up on the counter. You also have to be sure to hold the lid closed as you pour, otherwise the top will come loose and you'd have a mess. It's also difficult to push down all the way (or impossible) and you cannot get that last bit of coffee out. If you can accept all of these little things, and we have, the press does a find job of making a good cup of coffee. My hubby and I are the only 2 ppl who drink coffee here, so it makes enough for the 2 of us to get about a mug and a half each. So, it does the job.

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly unbreakable. Well, one part at least., December 12, 2005
While it is true that the carafe is indeed unbreakable, an especially useful feature when you drop the carafe in the sink accidentally, the plunger part is NOT unbreakable. After about one month of use (during which time we loved our french press), the plastic part of the plunger (at the bottom rim, where the screen is) broke into many little pieces. Sadly, we will not be replacing this one with another BonJour French Press.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple & Effective (5-year update!), January 9, 2007
This is the first french press coffee maker I have owned. Having always used a drip-machine at home, I wanted to give this a try. I read tons of reviews, people complaining about broken glass presses, screens falling out, etc. etc. I didn't want to spend even $10 on something that wasn't going to make a decent cup.

I've used this press nearly every day, sometimes more than once, for the last two months or so. The carafe is lexan, I believe, the same material used to make Nalgene water bottles. Not 100% unbreakable, but it's not going to break from even the roughest kitchen use. I do suggest washing it only with a soft sponge, as scotch-brite or brillo will easily scratch the material. Doesn't affect functionality, but makes it dull.

The screens are well-seated into the press and the lid. Having the second screen in the lid ensures that even the finest grind doesn't slip into your cup. I have only hand-washed this item but I think it would be fine in the top-rack of the dishwasher. There's a small metal screw in the handle, so I wouldn't suggest putting it in the microwave. The description (at least when I bought it) said it was microwave safe. It could be that from one production run to the next, the screw material changed.

Other points.. the base is rubber and grips well. Some presses have the dainty little feet that do nothing but give you a top-heavy jar of near-boiling water. I read one review where a user was complaining that the lid doesn't fit very tightly into the carafe. I actually think this was intentional, as if it fit tightly the liquid would not pour out. The looseness of the fit allows air to flow back into the carafe, just like the hole on the lid of a travel mug.

In terms of the coffee, well it depends more on the beans and the person making the coffee. Once you get the measurements right this makes excellent coffee. In fact, I also use it to make loose-leaf tea, works just as well as an infusion ball or kettle. Depending on how much you drink, remember 8-cups is french cups, like 6oz. There's a bigger size that may be a better choice for those who drink a lot of coffee.

Overall: Great product, I think it'll give me several years of quality service and I would definitely buy it again, especially at this price!

***UPDATE***

March 2010, this thing is still going strong. The caraffe is a bit dull from being washed (both by hand and in the dishwasher) but man it's still in great shape, the screens are just like when I bought it. No rust, no stretching/bending. The rubber seal on the plunger hasn't degraded at all. Great product.

***UPDATE 2***

So, I was looking through some of my old reviews and noticed that a lot of people have chimed in that their BonJour has fallen apart, broken, etc. I've owned this press for four years now, using it nearly every day, sometimes several times a day, and aside from a little light scratching on the caraffe surface it is practically like-new. The screens are tight and in place, no rust, nothing. I'm not sure what these people are doing with their french press to have them falling apart.

***UPDATE 3***

Five years later.. this thing is still going strong. I don't use it every day, but I use it often, and run it through the dishwasher frequently. Still as solid as when I bought it.

***UPDATE 4***

I keep coming back to update this review because the press just keeps on truckin'. I use this thing five or six times a week and it still works like it was new. No problems with the screens, the plunger, the rubber, or anything. Perhaps I got extremely lucky with a well-made lot or I take very good care of it, maybe a combination of the two, but it's given me nearly seven years of service. In that time I have perfected my french press technique, so I thought I'd share it here. I use a grind that is nearly as fine as an espresso grind (I use the Kyocera Ceramic Grinder Kyocera Ceramic Coffee Grinder, $48), and put four or five heaped table spoons of freshly ground coffee into the caraffe that has been thoroughly cleaned and primed (pre-heated with a splash of boiling water). Over that I pour boiling water up to the level of the handle band. I pour it smoothly, in a circular motion such that wets all the coffee quickly and evenly. An electric kettle works great for this and is my preferred method because it saves time (Cuisinart is expensive but has also been a workhorse for me Cuisinart CPK-17 PerfecTemp 1.7-Liter Stainless Steel Cordless Electric Kettle, $100). I give it one gentle stir to ensure all the coffee is wet. I let it brew for five or six minutes, briefly stir again, let it brew another two or three minutes, and then quickly skim off the majority of the coffee and foam on the top with a tablespoon. I do this because those parts have been over-extracted and will add some bitterness to the coffee if not removed. Ideal brew times withh vary with the type of bean, roast, and the drinker's preference, so I suggest some experimentation in this area. From there, I put on the lid, gently press down but not past resistance, one should not endeavour to "press out" more flavor from the grounds, I think the term "coffee press" gives some that notion and it is incorrect. Finally, I align the top screen and pour the coffee into primed mugs. I hope this helps others improve their coffee experience!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap plastic, but gets the job done, January 14, 2011
I bought it to travel with. It feels pretty cheap so you have to be careful with it. But it works well & makes good coffee. Like all French press makers I've used, you will get some fine sediment in the bottom of your cup.
UPDATE: It broke after a few months using it. Sent it back to BonJour and they sent me a new one at no charge. Took about 6 weeks. Nice to know manufacturer stands behind the product.