5.0 out of 5 stars Performs as advertised, good product
The Bona X Hardwood Floor Refresher - 32 oz. Bottle is sold alone or with a package including applicator, etc. I purchased only the 32 oz floor refresher. I apply it with a mop covered with a clean/old T-shirt. (not consistent with directions) I have been using it for two months.

I am satisfied with this product, it performs as well as advertised. It...
Published on December 21, 2006 by T. Anderson

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed
I have some experience using water-based polyurethane to refinish floors and furniture - otherwise I would not have attempted. I have Harris-Tarket longstrip flooring (11 1/2 years old) and thought this product would be perfect to keep some finish on the floor to protect it until I have it sanded and refinished. I have been considering using this product for several...
Published 14 months ago by Laura

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs as advertised, good product, December 21, 2006

I am satisfied with this product, it performs as well as advertised. It produces a shine on a hardwood floor that has dulled. The consumer can control the amount of shine by carefully controlling the amount of refresher used.

The directions for use are on a fold out label found on the back of the bottle. The product works well when used as directed.

As with any surface applications (paint, stain, etc) 90% of the work is in the surface preparation. Vacuum and carefully damp mop as the floor must be clean and dry for treatment. The directions say to rock the bottle to mix the contents. This may mean to gently swirl the product without causing bubbles in the solution. I have had no apparent problems from air bubbles in the treatment. The mop or applicator should be damp before using. The treatment can be applied with mop strokes in any direction, but always finish with strokes in the direction of the woodgrain.

The directions also say to use about 32 oz (one bottle) for 500 sq ft. This will really produce a shine. The applicator/mop seems to float on top of the fluid layer when using this much solution. The treatment dries faster than a similar amount of water, always less than the suggested one hour.

The solution is dispensed from a plastic squeeze bottle, and it squirts out in a narrow stream. One has to squeeze a little bit to get any solution at all, and it sometimes splatters a little. Be careful. There are sometimes inconsistencies in the product. It is mainly a clear liquid, but an occasional discharge, much like eggdrop soup, will come out the nozzle. Maybe I am not "rocking" enough.

This product will restore shine to a dull floor. If you are not sure how much shine you want, apply thin coats. Each coat will increase the shine more. Stop when you see what you want. Be aware that a shiny floor shows flaws much more than a dull floor. Any scratches, gouges or indentions will become much more obvious. In addition, it will not fix a worn out floor if the floor has worn beyond the dull finish stage. If the floor has worn to wood and the stain is gone, or there is a worn spot in a high traffic area, look for a different approach.

The shine does wear with traffic and food/drink spills. I have been touching up the finish by using a small amount of refresher after damp mopping to restore the shine. (This is not consistent with the directions on the bottle) So far this "freshen up" has been once per month, but the frequency may change.

Update Oct 2008

I have been using this product 2 years now. Results are consistent and good for my needs. I have no complaints. We typically touch up the floor 3-5 times per year before entertaining at home. This always results in a very nice shine. The repeated application of thin layers accumulates. The floors we have been treating now look better than the rooms with little or no traffic, but that have never been "refreshed." As in the earlier review, 90% of the work is on the cleaning preparation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Product for polyurathaned floors, June 27, 2008
This review is from: Bona Kemi Usa Inc 32Oz Wd Flr Refresher Wt760051145 Household Wood Floor Care (Kitchen)
I'm a Bona Kemi girl from now on. What a great product! We have over 800 sq ft. of 25 year old oak floors that have been sanded and refinished twice. I've tried other solutions for my floors, but nothing has worked like this (other than sanding and refinishing which is dusty, expensive and inconvenient). The Bona Kemi system is easy to use and gives an amazing new shiny finish to my floors. I like that the applicator pads are washable and reusable. Be sure to purchase enough Refresher to do your entire floor in one shot This product does what it says. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bona refresher is easier to use than Bona polish, February 23, 2011
There seems to be a lot of confusion about the difference between Bona refresher and Bona Polish.

I have used both and prefer the refresher

Why?

Because the Bona refresher wears off over time, and with repeated damp mopping and does not need to be stripped with a stripping product to remove it. (That is what "non-strippable" on the refresher label means, the word is a bit misleading but it is meant to indicate that the refresher product does not need to be stripped with an ammonia product and stiff scrubbing.)

The refresher is water based polyurethane. It lasts two to four months depending on traffic before needing to be redone to ensure a high shine.

The polish, however, is a mix of polyurethane and acrylic. The acrylic component causes it to be more difficult to remove. (The polish must be stripped to remove it with Bona's stripping product or another professional stripping product and a lot of scrubbing.)

The refresher CAN be removed with repeated washing or wears off in a few months and can be polyurethaned over with just a screening of the surface rather than sanding down to bare wood.

The Bona polish does not wear off completely, ever, and needs to be stripped to remove it completely.

Also if the Bona polish has been used, in order to have a professional do a professional re-polyurethane of the original floor finish, the floor must be sanded to bare wood rather than simply screened and re-coated with a professional polyurethane product.

If the Bona refresher has been used the floors can be screened and than professionally re-polyurethaned, without sanding to bare wood.

Sanding to bare wood is messy and time consuming, and expensive. Screening is much quicker and only requires that the old professional finish be scuffed up for adhesion purposes, prior to a fresh coat of professional finish being put over the old coats.

Here is a paragraph from Bona's own facts section.

[...]

LINK EXCERPT:

*Did you stop making Bona Refresher and is Bona Polish the same product?

Bona still makes Bona Refresher but it is now sold through Floor Covering Retailers as part of our Pro Series line. Refresher is 100% polyurethane. It is not the same product as Polish. You can put Polish over Refresher, but you CANNOT put Refresher over Polish. Click here to find a Pro Series retailer near you.

I am speaking again:

Also here is another site that explains the difference between Bona's polish and refresher.

[...]

LINK EXCERPT:

Answer: Thanks for this question. I contacted BonaKemi to make sure my answer was correct. As you can see below, the important questions to ask yourself are whether you plan to have the wood floors refinished completely or not: Bona Wood Floor Polish cannot be re-coated (see below.) If you need technical support, phone this BonaKemi number: 800-872-5515.

BonaKemi Responded: "Bona Floor Polish is for newer floors including prefinished flooring: it is a blend of polyurethane and acrylic.

You can buff the polish to get a better shine: the polish gives more of a sheen and blends better into the existing flooring than BonaKemi Hard Wood Floor Refresher.

View the polish as a maintenance product like a wax. The acrylic component is why polished floors cannot be re-coated without being stripped. There are acrylic stripping agents available but the risk is that the polish will remain in the cracks unless sanded out.

I am speaking again:

With that said, the polish does look good and lasts a much longer time than the refresher. Still, it is much more difficult to remove. You can go over the bona polish with the bona polish, but if you want to remove it, it is very difficult and must be stripped by using an ammonia product and scrubbing it very briskly.

I personally will not be using the polish again. I would rather have to re-coat every four months or so to get the shine rather than have an almost permanent polish on the flooring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but read directions carefully, June 26, 2009
Since you are actually putting a coat of water based polyurethane on your floor, extra care in preparing the floor is required IMO. After dust mopping I got down on my hands and knees and used about 10 rags to carefully clean the floor using the Bona floor cleaner. The amount of dirt transferred to the rags on the supposedly clean floor was amazing. The floor scrubbing mop provided by Bona I did not use, since I could not apply enough elbow grease - however I will use it now for maintenace cleaning.

Make sure you use the floor "refresher", not the floor "polish" product. The floor Polish product is acrylic and you cannot later top it with urethane. The floor "refresher" can be recoated repeatedly with polyurethane, and I like the idea of just putting another thin coat of polyurethane on the polyurethane floors ("maintenance" coat as Bona calls it). Bona says you can put the refresher on 3-4 times a year for maintenance.

If your floors have been waxed, forget using this product since it apparently will not adhere properly (again, read the directions.) NEVER wax your hardwood floors or apply acrylic products, IMO.

The Bona website has some instructional videos and FAQ's which I found informative.

My only disappointment was this (not an issue with the product): We have 100 year old quartersawn white oak floors. The grain is beautiful but the surface is not "smooth" - this is inherent in this super-premium type of wood. I found the refresher product put a great shine on some fir thresholds, but the oak floor was only shiny in a subtle way - I would have liked more shine, but that is a personal preference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Product for Hardwood Floors, January 27, 2007
This is the best product you can purchase for your hardwood floors. It is quick and easy to use and leaves your floor looking like new. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Results-Exceeds Expectations, April 8, 2009
There's plenty of hardwood floor dressings on the market that will put a shine down. If you care about long life for your floor,you have to be careful about your choice of products. If there's oil or silicon in the product,that's an awful choice. Why? Doing an inexpensive buff & recoat is out of the picture for you-only an expensive complete refinish can be done to restore a worn finish. If you are careful with your floor you will still get surface scratches just by walking and vacuuming them over time. What can you do between recoatings? I recommend this product. It did a great job on my wood floors, scratched by cats and kids for 12 years. It's not a permanent coating and it won't fix deep nicks and scratches. Think of it as make up-the younger the face the better the results. However,make up still makes an old face attractive.That is what Floor Refresher does for you hardwood floor. There's nothing like a recoat of complete refinish, but for $20,moving the furniture,and 30 min of mopping..what fantastic results. Because it's a Bona Kemi product,a respected name in wood floors, I trust them to provide a product that won't wreck my floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shop no further. This will get the job done right., May 16, 2008
Don't waste your money on cheap Orange glo, swiffers etc. Spend 25 bucks more and get the Bona kemi system. Our non handscraped polyurethane floors are about 6 years old and they needed a lift they had become dull and boring. So much so that I was amazed after I gave them a clean and applied the refresher. Wow what a difference the shine is back and looking almost new again. I was a little nervous as I was getting ready to apply the refresher but it goes on easy and once you get going it's really a no brainer. Make sure you get the applicator to apply and you clean them well and no foot traffic until it dries about an hour after application. Wish I could have done a before and after pic. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Restored our "beaten up" floors, June 11, 2009
I was skeptical about this product. We have wood floors that are 20 years old and probably need a new polyurethane coat.
I followed the directions and found the application to be reasonably easy. Our floors went from looking "bedraggled" to shiny and nice looking.
For the price I was extremely pleased with the results the hardwood refresher provide.
You do need the "applicator pad" to use this product. Make sure you order one if you don't already have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quatlity, January 13, 2009
We bought this floor cleaner at the recommendation of a wood floor expert, and am so glad we did. It cleans beautifully, does not dry out the wood floor, and leaves a lovely sheen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bona Refresher, July 13, 2008
Smart shopper (San Juan Islands in Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
I had some hardwood stairs that were showing wear and this product was recommended by friends and neighbors. It worked very well and made a significant difference in the appearance of stairs I thought would have to be professionally refinished.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›