5.0 out of 5 stars Our Proudest Moment

3.0 out of 5 stars Comercial Exploitation
Published on February 7, 2011 by M. Huber

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Proudest Moment, October 6, 2009
This review is from: Joe Bonamassa Live from the Royal Albert Hall (DVD)
Watching this DVD, the same feeling kept washing over me, song after song. It was a feeling of intense pride. I've been witness to the ever expanding vision and hard work Joe Bonamassa has put into his music. No artist over the last decade has captivated me quite like Joe has. Each new release adds yet another layer. And he never makes us wait too long for the next chapter. I've been fortunate to see Joe perform live several times in a variety of venues. Then came RAH.

It's the biggest show of Joe's life and he most certainly is up for the occasion. The venue is magnificent. The crowd is completely engaged. The band is as tight as Bogie's snare. And Joe is on fire. Having everything come together after 20 years has obvious special meaning to Joe. But watching this document of what he has accomplished in my 6+ years as a Joe Bonamassa fan holds special meaning to me as well. I've been an avid record collector and concert goer for over 30 years. In that time, I've never felt more proud to be a fan than I felt while watching this DVD.

For the technical minded, you have the choice of 3 audio streams, Dolby stereo, Dolby 5.1 surround, Dolby DTS surround. The intro sequence really builds up and sets the stage for the show. Camera work is great and features not only well chosen shots of the artists, but within the context of an historic venue. Edits/cuts/changes are appropriately restrained. What may be most surprising of all is that they chose to not overly compress the video and cram it all on one disc. 230 minutes are spread across two discs. This is how a music DVD should be!

After having watched this DVD a few times now, I'd like to add a little more about the performance itself:

- Joe translates live far, far better than most artists. In my opinion, Joe is a brilliant live artist who happens to make great studio records too. I can't decide if Joe's greatest strength is his phenomenal guitar playing or his amazing voice. Both are simply incredible on this DVD.

- I love what Carmine has added to the band over the last couple of years. He brings a flowing musicality that perfectly complements rather than competes with Joe. He is a talented veteran and it shows. The Buddah statue is kinda cool too.

- I was a little nervous when Joe made keyboards a permanent part of the band. I listen to guitar based music to hear . . . the guitar. But Rick is one crafty son of a gun. He doubles Joe's guitar harmonies, adds mood and texture to the background, and does some very nice vocal harmonies on several songs. He steps out here and there with some tasty piano parts that are quite enjoyable. Rick has been a GREAT addition to the band.

- Anyone who thinks the 2 drummer concept is gimicky needs to see this DVD. Watching Bogie and Anton synchronize with each other was quite interesting. It made me pay more attention to the drumming than I usually do, and gave me new found respect for the power and complexity that the drums add to Joe's music.

- Oops. I almost forgot about the horn section. It reminded me how much I enjoyed the early 90's Gary Moore tours that included the Midnight Horns. Here they are used with restraint so as not to crowd the songs which were generally not written with horn parts. The sax solo during Asking Around For You is expecially nice.

Great music DVDs need to complement the music with compelling visuals. There are probably few scenes in the 200+ music DVDs I own that are as dramatic as when Joe climbs up on stage equipment and hoists the Flying V over his head at the conclusion of Just Got Paid with the camera shooting from behind him at floor level. It gives me goose bumps every time I see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe Bonamassa at his PRIME, October 5, 2009
This review is from: Joe Bonamassa Live from the Royal Albert Hall (DVD)
I've been following Joe Bonamassa since Bloodline. Everyone has his own preference in music, but after over 40 years of being totally enthralled with what music can do for you, Bonamassa is the one who hits the resonance with me. In this performance, he hits his prime. I feel this is an exceptional DVD, his best work yet. Every time Bonamassa puts out a piece of work, I think it is better than the last. This is no exception. A fine piece of work. Thank you Joe.

PS

I had to add, ALL the players in this concert, Rick Melick (keyboards, background vocals, & tambourine), Carmine Rojas (bass), Bogie Bowles & Anton Fig (drums - check out High Water Everywhere), Lee Thornburg (trumpet), Sean Freeman (saxophone - check out Asking Around for You) and last, but not least, Mike Feltham (trombone) all put in absolutely fantastic performances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tha Avalon to The Royal Albert Hall, October 25, 2009
J. Moody "bluesproject.org" (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joe Bonamassa Live from the Royal Albert Hall (DVD)
I was first introduced to Joe Bonamassa via a promotional clip off his first at the time VHS video now DVD A New Day Yesterday Live. Two songs was all it took for me to seek out the opportunity to see him live for myself. It was a few months later and I got my chance just 90 miles away at a no longer in existence blues festival. That experience took me on a road of discovery of just how far this young guitarist could go.

Evidently all the way to the Royal Albert Hall. I traveled considerably longer to be a part of that historical moment but I just had to be there. You can too. Order this DVD today. This DVD captured the moment just like you were there. From the 12 camera shots that capture every angle of the unique setting. The room itself is a supporting player in this what will become a historical document as important as Creams Farewell concert.

The short interviews leading up to the show itself set the scene that to Joe this just isn't another gig it is a huge moment in his career with the grand entrance on the stage playing the searing notes to his instrumental arrangement tribute to Django Rhinhardt. The big band he assembled for this show which included Anton Fig on second drums and Lee Thornburg on trumpet, Sean Freeman Sax and Mike Feltham on Trombone just added to the arrangements in a tasteful way.

For those of you that may be new to Joe Bonamassa may I suggest this be your entry point. Absorb this performance and watch his tour schedule. See him for yourself live. Take the time to explore his back catalogue and get caught up to speed so you can move forward with Joe as his career continues to expand and grow to legendary status. To close get this DVD and find that Avalon theatre in your town or a town near you and have that moment of discovery because this is one ride you don't want to miss. I don't know what is next for Joe. The Royal Albert Hall is a pretty good gig to aspire to. I have a feeling he is going to keep going up from there.

Just a quick note to packaging. So often music DVDs lack any real effort to make the package something special. This issue has a book insert with photos and credits and a special note from Joe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe's one heck of a guitarist and his band is fantastic, October 29, 2010
Deemic (Northern Hemisphere) - See all my reviews
This man is extremely gifted. He writes great songs and plays one of the meanest guitars I've ever heard. His style is a combination of flashy, speed riffs and tasteful and soulfully played blues. He has really developed his own style and can belt out the vocals as well.
This DVD is well produced, with some great shots of Joe as well as the entire band. I like that they don't have a never ending change of camera angles, but that when they do change the shot, it's done in a way that doesn't give you that dizzying feeling that you can't just sit back and enjoy the show.
The audio production is extremely solid and well mixed with a perfect combination of dynamics and equalization that you don't always find on concert videos. The video production is a little on the hazy side in some shots and that effect is enhanced slightly by the blue lights on stage. Even with that said, it's still a pretty decent Blu-ray. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 10 for the audio and a 8.5 on the video.
The set list is quite a mix of faster and slower tunes. The highlights are Ballad of John Henry and the song that pulls off an impressive Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top medley.
The DTS-MA mixdown is superb, with all the instruments placed as they should be and at the proper volume in the mix. The dual drummers adds another level of depth and foundation to the tunes and is also mixed into the audio track very well.
All of the musicians are top notch and special guest Eric Clapton sits in on a version of Further on up the Road that is also well done with Joe and Eric trading licks back and forth.
All in all, I'd say you can't miss with this show. If you know Joes work, you'll really enjoy this concert and if you don't know his work, you'll become a fan.

MPEG-4 AVC, 1920*1080p, 23,976 fps, 16:9, ~20000 kbps | English (DTS-HD MA, 2 ch), (DTS-HD MA, 6 ch) | 32.1 Gb

3.0 out of 5 stars Comercial Exploitation, February 7, 2011
I agree with the guy who gave it 2 stars that it's not worth the time or money to up grade from the DVD. The Audio has NOT been upgraded to DTS Master Audio or Dolby HD and has the same audio quality as the DVD so no upgrade there either. The video IS brighter and sorta washed out on the whites and not much better video clarity than the DVD. I use an OPPO BDP-83 universal DVD player and a Panasonic TC-P50G20 Calibrated Plasma TV. So if you are thinking "Blu-ray, it's got to be better" think again. If you don't have the DVD yet then ya' go for the BD version, the whole concert is on 1 disc instead of 2. This is an awesome concert and performance that deserves a better BD version but it seems that Joe's Mgt. is not to concerned about audio quality, even his CD's seem to be so bright that on a good system are hard to listen to for long periods with out listener fatigue. I'm a huge JB fan and have all his CD's and both DVD's, but someone needs to address sound quality. Had I not had the DVD first, I would probably give this a 4 1/2, a ding for the bright video anyways.

I wish Amazon had a 3 criteria rating that would make for a quicker, more accurate and fair rating of Cd's, DVD's and Blu-ray's.

1. Performance
2. Quality of Audio
3. Quality of Video (for DVD's and Blu-ray's)

1.***** Awsome concert & performance!
2.** NO DTS Master Audio or Dolby HD up grade!!! Same 5.1 as DVD
3.** Bright transfer, colors slightly washed out compared to DVD

Artists that wish to have there performances recorded and recognized should be held to a standard. Poor Audio or Video, no matter how good the performance, is still a BAD product. Those who would still rank that product highly just because of performance are not doing the industry or the band justice. Demand better and we will get it, settle for less and that's what you'll get.

3.0 out of 5 stars Do not upgrade your dvd to this blu ray, November 30, 2010
As a person who loves Joe and the dvd version of this concert I was excited to see that it was coming out on blu ray. My only negative about the dvd was the video quality was very up and down. close ups of Joes finger work excellent. Shots of joes face washed out etc. The blue ray is no better and definitely not worth the upgrade. The sound on both are excellent so save your money and just enjoy this fantastic performance.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Blu-ray, November 23, 2010
I have owned both the DVD and this new Blu-ray. True: the DVD is exceptional!! Awesome video and audio! The Blu-ray audio is same...Great! BUT, the video quality on the Blu-ray is WORSE than the DVD! Especially the white or light sections such as Joe's face....Very fuzzy and pale. TOTALLY disappointing. Do NOT upgrade your DVD for Blu-ray in this case....NOT worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm addicted to this DVD, August 15, 2010
Linda Terry (Indianapolis, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joe Bonamassa Live from the Royal Albert Hall (DVD)
I saw this on T.V. and had to have it. What I saw on the tube didn't do this DVD justice. Joe Bonamassa is amazing !!!!!!I can't get enough of his playing guitar.He takes you places that you haven't been in a long time. I love Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and all of the rest of the greats but it's been years since I was so enthralled by someone's ability to play guitar. It is a gift and Joe has learned how to use that gift better than anyone I have heard in a long time ,if ever ! If you really enjoy excellent music that will make you want to first dance and then will make you want to cry, because of the way he sings the blues,then you need to support Joe by purchasing this DVD. By the way, his voice is oh so, so, so sexy I can't say enough about it. You won't be disappointed .

5.0 out of 5 stars Music doesn`t get better than this, September 28, 2009
This review is from: Joe Bonamassa Live from the Royal Albert Hall (DVD)
This music/ performance touches your heart and soul. This DVD is some extremely fine amazing piece of art.
Musicians like Joe Bonamassa don`t grow on trees. Joe Bonamassa is an artist of a caliber one only finds very few times throughout music history.
What can i say if you love good music go and buy this DVD. I have played guitar through almost half a century and have collected all kinds of music through these years and i can promise you it won`t get better than this. I would pay 100 times the price to get this DVD if that was necessary to get it. So buy it and spread the "virus".

5.0 out of 5 stars Happened upon Bonamassa while channel surfing and was FLOORED, September 17, 2010
Julie A. Dinkins "juliebork" (Lago Vista, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joe Bonamassa Live from the Royal Albert Hall (DVD)
No other musician has captured my heart and soul like this man did, and his music touched deep parts of my soul so much that unexpected tears arose with the awesomeness of his abilities making love to that guitar. Not since SRV have there been the pure passion and talent from a performer who brings out the best in every guitar like no one else could. SRV was definately smiling down from above on the Bonamassa talent showcased here. My husband walked into the room and had the same reaction. My kids came in and were dancing and playing air guitar right along with this amazing concert.

I had never heard of Bonamassa before, and had I not happened upon this concert being aired on television, I might have missed this golden opportunity.

The ultimate blues guitar talent has returned and it is Bonamassa who I hope will hold that title for a long time. I had hoped that John Mayer would step up to that plate but his talent has been mismanaged. His band refuses to yield to Mayer's talent and plays to loudly over his poorly chosen solos, but I digress.

The guitar god, Eric Clapton even shows up to play with Bonamassa and from the look on his face, you can tell that even he is impressed with Bonamassa's talent. I dare to admit that bonamassa puts Clapton's talent to shame, and I still think Clapton is the godfather of the blues guitar.

Have I mentioned this man is nothing short of AMAZING?

I had to wait until payday to make this a part of our collection. Bonamassa should not be missed and this is a must have for everyone's collection. You will NOT be disappointed.

Joe Bonamassa Live from the Royal Albert Hall