5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I've Seen on Bond Investing
Published on March 12, 2009 by harvey silver

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read for a beginner but hopelessly out-of-date...
Published on January 17, 2012 by Duane

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I've Seen on Bond Investing, March 12, 2009
This review is from: Bond Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
I've seen many books and articles on bond investing- this one is by far the best in many ways, among them, the most comprehensive- 333 pages packed with useful information- I didnt think anyone could write 333 pages about bonds, which before reading the book I thought would require less study than stock investing, but the author did, writing 333 useful pages on the subject, and in easy to understand, conversation-like language. When I research anything I do it in breadth and depth, asking many questions, and there was no question that the author left unanswered, and then some that I had'nt thought to ask. The book also covers other related investing subjects, such as other sources of fixed income, asset allocation etc etc. There is so much information packed into the book, that not only novice bond investors would profit from it, so would experienced bond investors. I have always aggressively invested in stocks only, but given the current state of the stock market, I'm looking for the safety and predictability of bonds- this book sure helped! This may be an unusually enthusiastic review, but the author deserves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bond Investing For Dummies, December 17, 2009
This review is from: Bond Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
I ordered 2 books on bond investing. Luckily, Bond Investing for Dummies arrived first. It was easy to read, and provided a great overview. It is an excellent foundation for understanding different bond types and bond strategies. I'm reading the second bond investing book now. It is written by a professor and reads like a text book. If I had not read Bond Investing for Dummies first, the second book would be difficult to comprehend. I highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read for a beginner but hopelessly out-of-date..., January 17, 2012
This review is from: Bond Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
... this is good starting place for the beginning bond investor because it provides a lot of basic concepts. So why only 3 stars? First, the book is very, very repetitive. This is either good or bad. If you find this type of information difficult, the repetitiveness may add to your clarity. Second, unlike other Dummies books, it is somewhat disorganized. The author uses terms and then defines them a few pages later (if a all). He also drops ideas on you only to tell you "I'll explain this later in Chapter ..." which - if you want to gain a real understanding - leaves you chasing all over the book to get the otherwise above-average content. Perhaps the biggest drawback is that it was written in 2007, just as the Bush recession was beginning. Therefore, you need to continuously reapply the information in your head - adding in newer, more relevant information from our other readings - to make it in anyway contemporary. So, get this book - even with its shortcomings - to get the basics. Then, go to the big times with "Bonds: The Unbeaten Path to Secure Investment Growth" by Richelson and Richelson. You will find the latest edition - that is up-to-date through 2011 - elsewhere on Amazon.Bonds: The Unbeaten Path to Secure Investment Growth (Bloomberg)

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, thorough, funny, terrific, July 4, 2011
This review is from: Bond Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a terrific book on bond investing. You have no experience, no training in investing? No problem. This author assumes you know nothing about investing. Yet, he covers the many subjects thoroughly with the greatest of clarity. When I finished the book, I knew exactly what bonds and bond funds I wanted to put in my portfolio and how to do it. You don't need to try to remember all the definitions and descriptions presented in the many chapters; author Russell Wild provides reminders of these just when and where they are needed. And he does it all with humor - funny, lighthearted, clever humor. I don't want to say that the price is worth it just for the humor; but, it sure makes a dry subject palatable and even interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bond Investing for dummies, August 12, 2009
This review is from: Bond Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
As with all "Dummies", this is a womb to tomb explanation of the Basics of Bond Investing. I recommend it for everyone especially retirees or those who are about to retire.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Earned over $100 the First Week I Owned this Book! It's a Great Starter for Any Level Investor., January 31, 2011
This review is from: Bond Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
Highly recommended! I was pleasantly surprised that this is a very interesting read, and also had great information about U.S. Bonds and Treasuries -which prompted me to go into my safe and pull out that Savings bond my grandmother purchased for me the year I was born. She purchased a $25 Savings Bond in the 1970's which matured in early 2000's. Because of this book, I knew exactly where to go to look-up its value which turned out to be $118.23. Since I paid almost $13 for "Bond Investing for Dummies", after cashing-out that U.S. Savings Bond my grandmother bought for me over 30-years ago, I wound up with a net profit of $105.23 ($118.23 - $13) the first week of use. I am also now invested in multiple tax-free municipal bonds paying 6% and 8.25% annually. Sometimes it pays to be a dummy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, February 17, 2010
This review is from: Bond Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
Another excellent book from author Russell Wild. Well written and informative. I would also rate the book seller as giving me excellent service and would purchase again from this seller.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, July 3, 2014
This review is from: Bond Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
I would not invest in bonds now that I know better

5.0 out of 5 stars I never thought of "bonds" as an intriguing subject...until this book., June 21, 2014
This review is from: Bond Investing For Dummies (Paperback)
I am a reluctant investor. I heartily wish I could pitch the whole field of investing right into the garbage--it confuses the heck out of me. But I'm persistent because I need to invest. I keep my teeth in, and sometimes digest something. But this book is truly kinda scarily interesting. The author has the ability to proceed on the assumption that you the reader don't know much at all about investing while then explaining it (a portion of it; but this is a pretty comprehensive intro to investing in general, not just to bonds) in a way that is clear, patient, thorough, and not even remotely condescending.

This ability to present something complex to the not-yet-understanding in a successful way is, man, a RARE talent.

For example, (and I want to praise the author for this from the rooftops, because almost NO ONE does it): whenever he gives an example, using math, he gives the actual math sequence immediately in parentheses, in black and white, right in front of your eyes, so you GET whatever % or division or multiplication or addition or subtraction or fractional situation he was just describing.

He is also very funny--not all the time, not raucous, but several times I burst out laughing while "studying" this book. (Well, studying was my intention originally. It actually became kinda scarily fun to read.)

I would put this investing book in the category titled: Amazing. Really I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars very informative, December 23, 2013
Mr Russell is very knowledgeable. His advice helped me build a balanced portfolio, an I hope the sequel comes out soon!

Bond Investing For Dummies
Bond Investing For Dummies by Russell Wild (Paperback - October 1, 2007)
Used & New from: $2.00