Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 29, 2011
DVD releases of the Paley Center series of onstage panel discussions have always served as that extra treat, one more outlet to sate the frenzied fan who can't get enough of his or her favorite show. I had a blast watching the cast of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER talk it up at the Paley Center (2008 PaleyFest: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reunion), and so had no qualms about purchasing this one, featuring the cast of BONES. Except that, at the end, I do have one major, er, bone to pick.

The BONES panel discussion, which clocks in at under an hour, takes place on April 9, 2008 during BONES' third season. It features Emily Deschanel, David Boreanaz, Michaela Conlin, Eric Millegan, Tamara Taylor, John Francis Daley, series creator Hart Hanson, and executive producer Stephen Nathan. This is quite a coup as this roster makes up the core actors but for T.J. Thyne. The only other person I wished would've been there was Kathy Reichs.

Obviously this panel interview is a couple of years in the rear view, and so isn't as relevant. For one thing, Eric Millegan ("Zach") left the show a while back. Still, if you're looking for insights on what makes the show tick, you do get a nugget or two. Did you know, for instance, that series creator Hart Hanson was initially reluctant to do a forensics show? Paley Center finds a surprisingly lukewarm audience, but at least the cast & crew are in a good mood and talky enough. Best of all, there are several sequences in which Boreanaz and Deschanel trade banter, the best bit of which is when they debate over whether Bones would want a baby or not. Of course, we all know the answer now. Those unfamiliar with the real David Boreanaz may raise an eyebrow at how laid back and loopy this cat actually is.

At the start Barbara Dixon, director of the Paley Center, introduces the show's moderator, television critic/Hollywood Reporter columnist Ray Richmond, and he is what's up my nose. Ray Richmond makes for a maladroit moderator, and comes off as someone who didn't perform his due diligence in prepping for his Q & A. I thought his awkward introductions of the cast & crew partly inspired the audience's tepid welcoming of the panel. You have to know how to play to the crowd; he doesn't. At one point, he asks Boreanaz what it's like to work with Ryan O'Neal while playing his son. Big ups for the cast's reacting with grace and smoothly moving on. Not to mention, at various stages, Richmond seems compelled to butt in and contribute what he probably assumes are witty asides. I guess I'm a bit cheesed at the Paley Center, as well, for not selecting the appropriate moderator. You know, someone who actually is familiar with the show and is comfortable in front of a microphone? Frankly, the BONES panels on the San Diego Comic Con have been more enjoyable. Ultimately, I can't rate this DVD higher than 3 stars out of 5. Thanks, Ray Richmond, thanks a bunch.
on February 18, 2012
Having seen tidbits of this panel online I was intrigued and wanted to see the whole thing, upon finding it available for purchase I was beyond thrilled, even though I didn't particularly care for the price tag. The panel didn't disappoint, but I was utterly appalled by the quality of the footage.

It was heavily pixilated and completely awkward to watch - I've seen home videos dating back to the 80's with better quality - so to be expected to pay 20$ for this and get such crap quality in return is utterly appalling to me.

I can only hope the contribution from me and others who have purchased this DVD will go towards updating the Paley Center's camera equipment so that future panels will be filmed on equipment dating from THIS century. Until that happens I will not be purchasing anymore DVDs from them - it's NOT worth the money.
on May 14, 2016
I REALLY LIKE THE TV SHOW BONES BUT CANT WATCH ON THE DAYS IT IS ON TV SO YOU CANT WATCH ANY OF THE SHOWS BUT WHAT THEY WANT TOO SHOW YOU.NOT WITH AMAZON PRIME IT IS ALSO THEY THAT WITH HEARTHLAND IT COMES ON SUNDAY NIGHT AND EVER DAY ON CBS OUT OF CAN.
on November 9, 2015
We love the weekly show. However, after seeing the actors and writers on a spontaneous gathering, we now understand what resulted in making it so excellent. The actors' personalities appear to be the same as their own. The interaction of the writers gave us a much deeper understanding of the various scenes.
on February 21, 2015
Richmond does a simply awful job of moderating this panel - I don't know who he is or what kind of pedigree he has. He mostly seemed unprepared and more interested in putting forth his own witty (not) comments. Very disappointed. This great cast of professionals deserved better. Much better.

He actually asked Michaela (aka Angela), "So...what do you like about being on Bones?" Michaela said, "Is that really my question? Well...."
on February 16, 2014
I love the series of Bones. It's nice watching how they get along. It's the same way they get along on the show, especially between David Boreanaz & Emily Deschanel. Also, it was nice to see Zack Addy (actor Eric Millegan), I miss his character on the show. I recommend it to all those fans who love the show.
on February 17, 2014
Bones is one of my favorite TV shows, but I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing. The interviewer was very awkward... he didn't seem to know the show as well as he should.
on February 5, 2014
I enjoyed this very much. It's always fun the see the cast and crew of my favorite show together. They are all so witty and funny. This is a nice addition to any Bones fan collection.
on November 6, 2013
Great show! Great cast! It was really fun to see the cast interactions and relationships off screen. Such wonderful chemistry between them on & off stage! Love the show Bones!
on May 28, 2014
If you are a fan of Bones you should really enjoy this interview with the cast. The interplay with Bones and Booth is really funny.
I would recommend this.