Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on November 25, 2015
Excelent book
on November 21, 2015
Interesting storyline idea. Well written, until the love angle, then it seems a bit clumsy and forced
on November 21, 2015
I hate that it's in 3rd person, but otherwise soooo good!
I love this series!!!
on November 21, 2015
I really, really wanted to like this book.
I loved the idea of mythological beings being tied into everyday life, but I was sorely disappointed. The characters in this book just have no depth and I just couldn't immerse myself in her writing without getting distracted by odd word choices and weirdly placed page breaks. I had such a hard time finishing the book all the way through.
I let my curiosity get the best of me after reading the sample to see where she was going to go with all this, and I struggled all the way to the epilogue. I am actually more confused about what happened in the book, but I don't want to bother going into full detail.
I think she let her writing fall short by dumbing it down to try and be more appealing to teens/young adults. All in all, just a waste of my free time.
I love books!
on November 20, 2015
Although I found the book a little slow during the first couple of chapters, I ended up loving this book. The author's writing is very descriptive and I could "see" scenes that were full of color in my mind. She creates an imaginative, colorful word with good character development. You really get to know the characters and I really liked their personalities. It also wasn't an insta love relationship that you unfortunately see in many young adult books, and the build up was well done. I also liked that although the book did set the stage for the next in the series, it wrapped up the current trial they faced well and it felt like a complete book. Well written and a great beginning story.
on November 20, 2015
Not a bad read. Although I did like the movie better it was nice having all the dialogue and background u miss from the movies. Jace was a whole lot more likable in the movie. And I loved Luke in the book.
on November 17, 2015
In "City of Bones", the first novel in the The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, human girl Clary Fray accidentally gets mingled up in a paranormal demon hunt.

Where do I start? Especially among bloggers Clare receives a lot of criticism for her alleged plagiarism. I haven't read any of her fan fiction, bur it's very obvious that most characters in this are inspired by Harry Potter. I mean... the racist leader Voldemort Valentine who wants to purify the wizard world shadowhunter world by starting an unnecessary war against muggle-born wizards downworlders? Well.

I'm probably the last person to read this, but I don't regret it. This is book is definitely a roller coaster.

Welcome to the City of Cringe

However, Clare did her best to disguise this by building a very elaborate an unnecessary complicated world around her shadow hunters, the guys who rid the world of icky demons. It took me 300 pages to even remote understand all the character dynamics and even after finishing the book, I don't get all the lingo. There is definitely too much content for the size of this book and there are too many parallels to Harry Potter characters to even pretend you don't see it. It's all been said before, and everyone is right with their criticism.

Her metaphors are really just as omnipresent as all reviewers say. And they're just as bad.

"[his facade] was as hard and shiny as the coat of lacquer on one of her mother's Japanese boxes" (pp.138/139, Margaret McElderry Edition)

I have a distinct dislike against flowery prose and having one of these every 250 words doesn't improve the quality of her writing. On the contrary actually. I have never read about this much voices described as combinations of colors and some kind of liquid before.

Which even makes it all worse is that her characters talk more like adults than actual adults. I have NEVER cringed this hard. This worst thing is that this comes out of nowhere, one second they're talking about everyday stuff the next second one of them says something like this:

"simple ontological reductionism is clearly a fallacious argument"
(Jace Wayland, pp. 307)

I mean, it would work if Clare had a pretentious character that's notorious for saying weird things like this, but she doesn't. It feels like whenever she thought of a pretentious line, she just inserted it into the novel right away. All her characters do this.

Next stop: The City of Acknowledgement

As much as there is to hate and cringe, "City of Bones" is by no means a bad book. Not even close. Her writing captivated me from the start and I couldn't put it down. I've spent nights awake because I had to continue reading. I don't know how she does it, how she managed to put so many clichés and cringe-worthy prose into one book and somehow created an interesting book. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate that I like this. I really do.

Jace and Clary have no chemistry whatsoever (!!!!!), honestly, they hardly interact because the plot is too dense for them to even share a single conversation that's genuine. All their conversations are info-dumps with unnecessary back story. Don't get me started on the side characters. Clare basically just dumped them somewhere in the background and then let them return having madly fallen in love. Yikes.

Regardless, I respect Clare insanely for pulling it off to turn a fan fiction into this and produce a mediocre book that's so, so, so captivating. It's a like a bad soap opera that you can't force yourself to turn off.

Overall: Do I Recommend?

I guess. You just have to read it yourself to understand my utter confusion and sort of positive dislike for this? I don't know, I have never read a book like this.
on November 13, 2015