5.0 out of 5 stars First half of Season 6 was iffy, but the second saved it!
And so as not to spoil anyone, the finale did a great deal to restore my faith in the series as did the episode prior, "Hole In The Heart".

Published on May 30, 2011 by Wendy C. Rigney

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Be Better
I hope for better plot development, smoother dialogue, and deeper character insight. The "reunion" and the mastadon in the lab give me hope that the wit and verve are back. I'm pleased that Caroline has a larger role this season. Every workplace needs a no-nonsense conscience to cut to the chase and keep things focused. Wendell, representing the working class hero,...
Published on September 30, 2010 by Mutha_nite

5.0 out of 5 stars First half of Season 6 was iffy, but the second saved it!, May 30, 2011
This review is from: Bones: Season 6 (DVD)

While I admit I am a 'shipper for Bones and Booth, plot-device Hannah was *possibly* needed (trying to be positive and give the benefit of the doubt here!) to give Bones and Booth an emotional kick in the butt to see what - or more likely, who - is right in front of their faces. But I won't lie: I was relieved when she left...and David Boreanaz's performance after Hannah's rejection gets major kudos from me. But fate had other plans, in the form of a tragic event with one of the squints and the aftermath that led straight to the finale.

And the supporting cast and their stories - most especially, Angela/Hodgins and the birth of their baby - also helped to add to the good and blur the bad, for me.

It will be most interesting to see where the final few minutes of the finale takes us for Season 7. In any case, thanks to the upswing, I have pre-ordered this season's DVD set.

Because, for me, even Season 6 "Bones" is better than most of the reality crap and other shows on TV now.

But it will be a long wait 'til November 3rd's premiere! So the DVD set should nicely fill the longer gap (due to baseball and Emily Deschanel's pregnancy!).

Update (07/11/11): Though Amazon does not yet have the date, TVShowsOnDVD.com says the set - on both DVD and Blu-Ray - will be released on October 4, 2011 (with a very tiny sneak peek of the possible cover art)!

Update #2 (08/10/11): The finalized date per TVShowsOnDVD.com is for October 11th. You can see all details there.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Ipso facto Columbo Oreo", October 16, 2011
H. Bala "Me Too Can Read" (Recently moved back to Carson, California, or as I call it... the center of the universe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bones: Season 6 (DVD)
- Dr. Brennan reciting the scientist's credo with Professor Bunsen Jude the Science Dude: "We get the facts and say what's true, because that is what scientists do."

BONES supports the contention that a guy and a girl, especially if they're both hotties, cannot be friends without eventually becoming more than friends. And, yes, this applies even to someone as detached and clinical as the world's foremost forensic anthropologist, Dr. Temperance Brennan. It's BONES' sixth season and, as ever, the sparks fly between our two leads. How cool is that?

As we saw in the Season 5 closer, our crime-solving squints have scattered to the winds. FBI Special Agent Seeley Booth has been recalled to active military duty. Dr. Brennan is traipsing thru Indonesia in search of man's true origins. Hodgins and Angela are in France. And the heart-broken Sweets had gone on sabbatical and become a goateed piano player in some bar. It would take seven months and Dr. Cam Saroyan's dire straits at the Jeffersonian Institute to reunite the old gang. The Season Six opener ("The Mastodon in the Room") reminds us that Bones can still deliver a smackdown as she wipes the jungle floor with a crew of armed guerrilas.

Six seasons into it, BONES is still my favorite show on television. I'm still savoring that blend of police procedural, slightly futuristic forensics, terrific humor, and addictive relationship drama. I don't know how the showmakers keep coming up with interesting ways to present the icky corpse. Agent Booth and the squints from the Jeffersonian Institute take on challenging cases, whether it's a homicide victim found in a giant chocolate bar ("The Babe in the Bar") or one mauled by the mythical chupacabra ("The Truth in the Myth") or one grounded up in the pin setting machine of a bowling alley ("The Change in the Game") or melted into the dashboard of an exploded truck ("The Twisted Bones in the Melted Truck").

There are several pivotal episodes. In "The Mastodon in the Room," Booth confesses to Brennan he's in love with a lovely investigative reporter he met during his recent Army tour. This new relationship dynamics would have Brennan reassessing her own feelings for Booth. In "The Doctor in the Photo," Brennan is strangely affected by a murdered cardiac surgeon who resembles Brennan in uncanny ways. This episode would also give us the half-Latin, half-gibberish phrase "Ipso facto Columbo Oreo," which I love. "The Bullet in the Brain" features the return of the Gravedigger and introduces this season's recurring big bad, a vigilante sniper from Booth's military past. In the bottle episode "The Blackout in the Blizzard" a blizzard cuts off power city-wide and confines Booth and Brennan in an elevator and the squints at the lab while still having to investigate a case involving a potential viral outbreak. "The Hole in the Heart" offers the resolution (for now) of Booth's pursuit of the vigilante sniper. "The Change in the Game" is the season finale and drops one of those awesome reveals that makes you go "What the what?!!" Meanwhile, "The Signs in the Silence" may be the most emotional, tearjerky episode of this season as the squints attempt to dig into the past of an abused deaf/mute teenaged girl who may have committed a fatal stabbing.

Less pivotal but very fun are "The Shallow in the Deep," which has Booth, Bones, and Sweets ending up on a cougar cruise while following leads to a murder, and "The Body in the Bounty" guest-stars David Alan Grier as the "amazing" Professor Bunsen Jude "The Science Dude" who asks Bones to go on his kid's television science show if he acquits himself well as the intern in her current case. Speaking of which, the oddball cast of rotating "squinterns" is back, and it's neat that the show's writers have given them even more back story. I also appreciated that Booth's new girlfriend, Hannah, is treated as a believable character instead of, say, being stereotyped as the predictable witch. I like that Hannah and Bones - and, for that matter, Hannah and Booth's young son - are good friends.

In Emily Deschanel's hands, Dr. Temperance Brennan continues to be a wonderful character. Bones is still socially awkward, still unfailingly blunt, is at all times literal. But she's still trying. And she's progressed far enough that she's even trying to crack jokes (bad jokes, excruciatingly unfunny jokes, but that's not the point). Deschanel allows you to see the painful vulnerability in Bones and the heart beneath the icy, abrasive surface. Deschanel and Boreanaz's chemistry continues to be unbeatable. For those who've been keening for progress in the "Will they, won't they?" department, several episodes address this concern.

Six discs to this complete Season 6 Collection containing all 23 episodes. Bonus stuff as follows:

- Audio Commentary on 2 episodes: "The Doctor in the Photo" (with Hart Hanson, Stephen Nathan and Jan Toynton) and "The Blackout in the Blizzard" (with David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel)
- Two Extended Episodes ("The Daredevil in the Mold" & "The Bikini in the Soup")
- "Breaking Down: The Blackout in the Blizzard," an episode directed by David Boreanaz (00:08:12 minutes long)
- The Visual Effects of BONES (00:11:39 minutes)
- Gag Reel (00:04:23 minutes)
- THE KILLING pilot episode

4.0 out of 5 stars Bones does it again!, June 12, 2011
This review is from: Bones: Season 6 (DVD)
Season six was a mixed bag for me at one point. It started really good, but I felt that a couple of episodes towards the middle lost me a little. I am happy to say that the second half of the series returned me to being a true bones fan! We are given another fantastic season finale and a really sad plot. The one thing I did love was the character development and how all the small characters that work on the various investigation are going through their own changes. I would say this series has some of my favourite episodes. The very end of season six has left me desperate to find out what is going to happen in season seven. The story continues to evolve, the characters get better and season six was another amazon season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart breaking...and highly recommended, December 28, 2010
"A tour de force performance by Emily Deschanel as Temperance Brennan- and kudos to the writers of the episode that brings a long-awaited climax to the relationship between the two main characters. The whole focus is on Brennan as she seeks to put together the life and final moments of a gifted cardiovascular surgeon. She is guided by the voice of the dead woman herself dictating her office notes, and by the observations of a museum security guard. In the process, she is forced to confront some very painful truths about herself. It may be that I have too much Christmas on the brain, but it reminded me alot of Dickens' Christmas Carol - Temperance certainly is no Scrooge, but her emotional heart is certainly as heavily guarded as Scrooge's gold. Like Scrooge, Temperance has the only key to unlock it - no one else can do it for her. She has to work it through for herself. And - you have to give her credit, when she decides to turn the key - she does it with an honesty and courage only Temperance could produce. I am anxious to find out where the writers will take it from here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally harrowing, December 10, 2010
I did not realize the emotional investment I had in Dr. Brennan remaining rational, logical and unfeeling. The past couple of episodes reinforced these qualities to an almost frustrating level. Well, if anyone wants to know when she is going to FEEL, watch this episode. Her path to tears must be surreal and almost a psychosis so tightly wound she has been to stay in her unemotional bubble. An introduced character plus the entire plot used to reveal her heartfelt qualities are a subtext to the overall theme: Dr. Brennan wakes up to her heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Means to an End, August 31, 2011
This review is from: Bones: Season 6 (DVD)
I didn't really like Hannah, but without Hannah, Booth and Bones would have remained stuck in their safe/comfortable relationship. Throughout the Hannah arc, you could see Bones' realization that she was losing Booth, really hitting her in "The Doctor in the Photo". I love the Booth and Bones relationship but it was nice to see Cam with a boyfriend and to see Angela and Hodgin's relationship evolve dealing with baby worries. Also, Jacob Broadsky's arc was pretty cool. Though some episodes weren't fantastic (which is typical for any tv show), the episodes that were great were really great (some of my favorites throughout the series). My favorites of season 6 included "Maggots in the Meathead", "Bullet in the Brain", "Blackout in the Blizzard", and the last three episodes. The "Signs in the Silence" was probably my favorite episode of the season. That episode and the season finale were the first two episodes I saw of the whole "Bones" series actually. If a couple of episodes from Season 6 could suck me into falling in love with "Bones" then it can't be that bad of a season. I saw a preview of the 1st episode of Season 7 and I'm very excited to see where the series will go next.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Cheated, January 1, 2012
This review is from: Bones: Season 6 (DVD)
I love Bones. I've loved it from the beginning, when Brennan was closer to a robot than a human being and Booth was appalled by almost everything she said. I loved watching their feelings develop. Booth & Brennan are masters of those long, intense stares. The ones that have the audience holding their collective breath, wondering when and how they're finally going to get together.

That's my one problem with Season 6. After SIX ENTIRE SEASONS of building up to Booth and Brennan finally overcoming their fear and trusting each other enough to be together, all we see is some hand-holding and tears. Brennan sits on Booth's bed to be comforted, he holds her, END SCENE. Not even so much as a single passionate kiss after all of the anticipation and WILL THEY WON'T THEY drama.I would have liked a little more confirmation that they did in fact have sex. Instead, we're left with Brennan smiling mysteriously at Angela, which is just annoying. She doesn't even SAY, "Yes, we did, it was awesome thanks." She just smiles.

And, in the final episode of the season, I admit I expected some obvious affection/sign that they were actually together. We didn't get that, either. At the very end we get confirmation that they had sex by way of Brennan telling Booth that she's pregnant with his child. Which is great, BUT STILL. Not even so much as a peck on the lips!

I guess I feel a little cheated after so much chemistry and the long process of watching them fall in love; it would have been nice to see some smooches.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT NON-BEGINNING, March 19, 2011
Those who are fans of "Bones" know that B&B belong togather but haven't been able to get it togather, They are crazy about each other but for a long time wouldn't acknowledge it and when Booth finally did Brennan still wasn't on the boat. And while I admire their ability to put it away and work togather, as a fan I have been waiting, sometimes not patiently, for them to admit the truth and give it a chance. Finally we are getting there, it is too soon after Hannah for Booth to get involved again and Brennan still hasn't completely opened herself up to the possibility of a real and permanent love, so this non-beginning was perfect. Great episode in all, and when you get to the really good parts I think they were perfectly played. They acknowledge the attraction, then the bad timing but basically make a pact to give it a try when they are both ready. Not to fast and perfect, just like real life and real emotions. Finally making progress.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hannah In the B & B, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Bones: Season 6 (DVD)
A distinguishing aspect of "Bones" is subtle nuances of character - primarily Booth's and Brennen's -- whose perplexing actions in early Season 6 can be clarified by careful rewatching. Particularly the destabilizing Hannah arc.

I reviewed all the scenes that could shed light, hoping to figure out why Booth was driven to propose marriage to Hannah in Ep. 6.13 "The Daredevil in the Mold" -- even after Brennen had declared her desire to be with him in Ep. 6.9 "The Doctor In the Photo."

The first insight into Booth's mindset can be seen way back in Ep. 6.5 "The Bones That Weren't," when he prepares Hannah a romantic dinner, to which she responds aghast with "Oh God, you are going to propose." He assures her he is not. Ergo, when Booth does pop the question in Daredevil, he is already aware that Hannah would so not want to be proposed to. When she responds on cue with a turndown, Booth reacts by immediately and adamantly forcing her out of his apartment and totally out of his life. The beauty of the maneuver is that Hannah, rather than having to leave as a rejected person, can leave with the illusion of having had some control. Still, she begs Booth to let her stay, while he refuses to even engage in the discussion. Devious indeed, but he's also gallant. He finishes the evening emoting at drinks with Brennen.

The unanswerable question is why Hannah did not just say yes, considering she gave up a plum job in the War Zone to move near him, then cohabited as a quasi-wife. Why not just license it, if it meant so much to him? The writers gave us no hint, leaving Hannah as an underdeveloped and very unpopular plot device void of any explanation of motivation. Season 6 as a whole could have ended on even stronger footing, had the writers just taken a little more effort with Hannah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bones one of the best shows, October 27, 2010
Cathy Hinds (Aberdeen, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Finally they show bones as a fun person. I have been watching bones since the beginning and can't wait for the next show.

Bones: Season 6
Bones: Season 6 by David Boreanaz (DVD - 2011)
$49.98 $9.99