Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on May 18, 2016
So far I've made at least 15 of the recipes and enjoyed them all. I have to say, these are not the quick to put together meals I was expecting from the description. They aren't difficult, just takes some time, more than most people I know want to do when they get home from work. That said, I really like the book, it's almost a go-to book for me. Most people think of French food and immediately think lots of heavy cream. But that's not the case here. I also love the use of all the fresh herbs. It inspired me to start my own herb garden on the patio, and I had to order chervil seeds from Amazon since I couldn't find the plants locally! I enjoy having them all available right outside my door now. And now that I've stocked up on everything, when I'm at a loss for what to cook, I can always find a meal in this book that I have everything I need to make it. I always make extra sauce though. The recipes are a little short on that most of the time.
on April 10, 2016
This one, Carol Colbert's out of print Easy French Cooking and Julia Child's Kitchen Wisdom are the 3 French cookbooks I reach for when I want a classic French meal that is super easy to put together, usually doesn't call for a pile of unavailable or expensive ingredients and is pretty much goof proof. The Chicken Francese p 114, and the Chicken Comte Salad on p 59 are two I've done recently, and highly recommend. Because that book was so succesful in my home, I bought her little kindle one specifically for the Braiser called The Braiser Cookbook. No repeats, just more good recipes in the French tradition, that are easy to do.

She divides the dinner dishes into 2 sensible groups based on 2 super easy methods. The Saute, Deglaze and Serve which is stovetop pan cooking and the Braise, Stew or Roast using a heavy cast iron enamel dutch oven like Le Creuset or a roasting pan. She simplifies the cooking steps and the clean up afterwards. These 2 groupings make a lot of sense.

I REALLY wish it was in Kindle, along with the Colbert book for 2 very good reasons.

#1; You can size up the text on the kindle or on the iphone kindle app so that you can read these half way across the kitchen, and page turns are simple.

#2: You can quickly access ingredients while at the grocery store if you have the kindle app on the iphone or smart phone, and buy what you need when you spot a nice special on a main ingredient.
on April 7, 2016
It's no exaggeration when I say that this has quickly become my favorite cookbook (among a pretty hefty collection). I turn back to it time and time again, and I have yet to run across a recipe that I didn't really enjoy. The best part is that it has provided me with an array of quick dinner options that I can whip up using ingredients I already have on hand. I've always gotten frustrated when trying to meal plan because when I'd go to the store with my well planned out shopping list, I'd find that the produce I needed either wasn't available or just didn't look as fresh and appetizing as some other options. Now I can easily shop the way I prefer - just go pick out what looks great and/or I could get for a good price, confident that I'll be able to find a great way to prepare it using the basics I always have on hand plus inspiration from this cookbook. This is especially true for the wonderful selection of simple vegetable side dishes; the pastas; and the saute, deglaze, and serve chapter. Some of those recipes are so flavorful that I find myself choosing to make them even when I have the time to make something more involved for dinner. In fact, never thought I'd find a way to enjoy pork dishes until I tried the Pork Chops with Orange and Thyme recipe, which is now in my regular rotation. I also have a toddler, and though admittedly he does have a pretty adventurous palate for his age, I've been amazed at how he's scarfed down anything I've made from this book so far.

My critiques of the cookbook are minor and certainly not enough to dock a star from my rating. I will mention that there really are no pictures, which could be a hindrance for some, though it really doesn't bother me at all. Also, the author obviously has a much better-stocked bar than I do. The book does make use of a pretty wide variety of types of alcohol for deglazing, many of which I don't keep on hand and would have a hard time finding in my rural area. Still, I've found plenty of recipes to keep me busy just with the simple red and white wines I always have on hand.
on February 10, 2016
This is probably the best cookbook I have ever had. The recipes are easy to make, using ingredients you can actually find in a grocery store, and the result is simply fantastic. The food is delicious. My new weeknight go to recipes come from the sauté deglaze and serve section. The recipes are simple, quick, and stunningly good. For the weekends, there are plenty of options as well in the roasting section and other Sections as well. Regardless of what you choose, it will be tasty.

There are no pictures, but I haven't found that to be an issue. Go by ingredient and what looks good to you and enjoy!!! There are A LOT of recipes in this book. You are bound to find a few things you like. I have found a bunch!
on January 18, 2016
I bought this to share with my son who is an Executive Chef...
on December 10, 2015
the most easy delicious all around cookbook I own (I own over 30 cookbooks). I was afraid because there were no pictures but these recipes are so easy. I made French lasagna the second week, pork chops Normandy like a champ. There are easy drink recipes, vegetable recipes, appetizer recipes, and numerous sauces to make before hand to mix with all the meats. I was a terrible cook, and I use to boil the heck out of veggies. Now I am making glazed carrots, green beans as I only knew one way to make most of these while adding copious amounts of butter!!!!!!!!! I can make easy salad dressing as in chicken comte in a flash But seriously I need to eat more fresh foods and this is the best cookbook I have had. I have jaque peppin cookbooks and (sorry jaque) this is the best due to the ease of recipes.
on December 4, 2015
Bought this to improve my weeknight meals with not too much fuss. It has exceeded my expectations and is now among my favorite cookbooks. The directions are complete and thoughtful, and the recipes are delicious and easy to pull off. Recommended for a busy family, one new to cooking or anyone who likes simple good food. Bravo Ms. Moranville!
on October 28, 2015
I must try all of them
on October 25, 2015
Excellent cook book! My wife is cooking from it every week and I love it. Feels like dining in a french restaurant every night.
on October 11, 2015
My new favorite cookbook ! Everything I have tried, has been spectacular !