4.0 out of 5 stars Most Questions Finally Answered

1.0 out of 5 stars The Stiffening
Published on December 17, 2011 by Possibility

4.0 out of 5 stars Most Questions Finally Answered, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Bonnie (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
I'm a fan of Iris Johansen's novels, and the Eve Duncan series in particular. The unsolved disappearance of Eve's daughter Bonnie years ago has literally haunted her and has always been the unresolved issue in her life. In a special trilogy about Eve, Quinn, and Bonnie, readers learn about the backgrounds of the characters and the events that led up to Bonnie's disappearance.

This is the last book of the trilogy and thankfully, it does give closure as readers - and Eve - finally learn what happened to Bonnie and why. I won't spoil the ending by revealing what that is but I will say it comes from a surprising source that I didn't expect. I also like that this book is not the end of Eve and Quinn. Their story and what they do in solving crime will continue with or without the appearance of Bonnie. I'm looking forward to the next thriller from Johansen.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.

4.0 out of 5 stars I hope Bonnie Rests In Peace, October 22, 2011
I have been reading Iris Johansen all my life. She is one of my favorite writers so naturally, I've followed the story of Eve and her missing daughter, Bonnie, since the very first mention of her so long ago, emphasis on long ago. I read her trilogy: EVE, QUINN, and finally BONNIE, eager to solve the mystery. All are written with Johansen's easy to read style. I love all the characters, especially the latest additions of Catherine Ling and Joe Gallo, Bonnie's father. But I'm sorry to say that the final reveal just underwhelmed me. When the killer is finally revealed all I could think was that a whole lot of intelligent people missed a pretty obvious suspect. But I really think Johansen just dragged Bonnie's story on way too long. Maybe that is why the story didn't really move me as it should, because her long held grief over bringing Bonnie home went on for too many books. This is a story she should have resolved many years ago.

I can certainly understand a mother's grief over losing a child. I don't expect a mother to ever get over that kind of tragic loss. But you do have to let go and finally make the most of the present, something Eve refused to do. Many cultures believe it is wrong to grieve too much over a loss, that it holds back both the soul that has passed on and the person who does the excessive grieving. Bonnie's story certainly illustrates the reasoning behind that belief. Eve was never able to focus on anything else but lost children. Here she had a man who loved her beyond reason and she never made a family with him, never had more chidren that could have eased both of them and brought new joy into their lives. She did adopt Jane but Jane too was dragged down by Eve's continally being haunted by Bonnie. Their lives have been all about Eve's grief.

(SPOILERISH)
But most importantly Bonnie could not move on either. At least on seeing Bonnie's ghost Eve has the assurance that her daughter still lives. An assurance few people ever get when dealing with loss. But even seeing that Bonnie is happy and well is not enough to resolve Eve's obsession. So many times I wanted to shake Eve and tell her to think about Bonnie's welfare for a change. Poor Bonnie has new fields to explore but has to continally look back and worry about her mother. And now, finally, when Bonnie's ghost BEGS Eve to let her go, Eve STILL says she can't do it. This really made me angry. Just how selfish IS this woman? Her daughter has made it clear that she is happy, learning new things, and has a spiritual peace we could all envy and her mother refuses to let go of her own by now pathogical grief so her daughter can move on? And I'm sorry, but if Eve digs her up and "brings her home" after Bonnie makes it clear she is happy with her beautiful resting place then that is just sick. Is she really going to expose Bonnie's remains to that kind of sacriledge? That is something I don't want to see or read about. She can certainly make a small memorial for Bonnie at her home if she needs it but digging up her grave is just gross. Especially since Bonnie in her wisdom has assured Eve she is NOT THERE. That she is alive and well and apparently learning more in a day than Eve has learned in a decade. All I could think of when finishing the book is LET BONNIE GO! Eve has put Bonnie through more grief than her killer ever did. Enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Stiffening, December 17, 2011
Possibility (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonnie (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
I came across Iris Johansen's new trilogy in audiobook format at my local library and decided on a whim to borrow all 3 books: finally, the solution to a mystery that has kept legions of fans (myself not included) pondering for years. The experience has been akin to being arrested for a minor infraction, but instead of being sentenced to do community service, the judge required that I read the "Eve/Quinn/Bonnie" trilogy.
Where to start? Two discs into the first book "Eve", I was already quite disappointed. Out of curiosity, I logged on at Amazon and started to read reviews. To be sure, I wasn't the only one who felt let down by an author that I have personally largely ignored in my literary career. I have read a couple of her books in the distant past and don't remember being particularly impressed.

First, the narrative style. It is simplistic and lacks both depth and perception; it is hindered by a redundant vocabulary and a lack of imagination in the author's descriptive powers. Her characters stiffen, draw their breath in sharply and pause (when talking - I assume, so they have time to reflect on what they'll say next). That is the extent of their expressions. They inhale sharply. They pause. And they stiffen. So much so that the trilogy should really have been called "The Stiffening".

Second, the dialogs. It would appear that Iris Johansen narrates for the benefit of her readers through her dialogs. It makes for very strange dialogs. Characters who have known each other for a long time, sometimes years, talk to each other as if the other person doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Or sometimes, a character will comment about the other person's feelings as if that person was unaware of their own feelings. As I said, it makes for very strange dialogs. Listening to the generally asinine dialogs, I had to roll my eyes on more than one occasion.

Third, character development. Character development is glaringly absent. Eve and Catherine are easily interchangeable as well as Quinn and Gallo. In fact, Quinn and Gallo are so alike that it's hard to distinguish between the two. Both men are physically imposing, ex-military experts and, of course, master lovers. Gallo, the supposedly unstable ex-POW, is ever so polite and considerate except when he is making threats towards his perceived enemies. Quinn never gets annoyed with Eve despite her giving him the slip on numerous occasions. Quinn also tends to make threats of a physical nature, and like Gallo, hardly ever delivers. Among all main characters, there is far more bravado than action. Eve, I found hard to relate to or even sympathize with as she is so unlike any real-life woman. I found her approach to life unrealistic, her handling of Bonnie's kidnapping (described in more detail in the second book "Quinn") bordering on the casual, and her relationship to Quinn predictable. As for Gallo and their supposedly passionate, but purely physical, affair when she was 16 and he 19 - well, let's just say that I found it hard to swallow. Truth be told, Eve talks and reacts then very much as the adult Eve does, with no consideration by the author for Eve's young age, her experience or lack of. During the early weeks of Bonnie's disappearance, upon meeting Quinn, Eve checks his background as his good looks make her doubtful that he, Quinn, an FBI agent, could keep his focus on the investigation. Mostly, when reading, I thought of the parents of abducted children and knew that no parents would act and talk as Eve Duncan does, with such casualness and self-control. Where is the devastation, the tearing of the heart, the pain felt at every-single-moment-of-the-day? There would be no occasion to comment about Quinn's good looks, his physical appeal, there would be rage and despair and anguish, and nothing else, and that never comes across the pages. Never.
And finally Bonnie. Bonnie, 7-year-old little ghost who talks to her mother from the other side as no 7 year old would ever talk, who has the vocabulary and the sensibility of an adult. Johansen explains this by saying that "something happened on the other side" to make Bonnie more mature. It made for awkward dialogs between mother and daughter, with Bonnie pontificating on the nature of Eve's distress at her disappearance.

Fourth: story line. I have not read enough of Johansen previous novels featuring Eve Duncan to really judge the trilogy in its context, but it appears Johansen fills in the blanks when she describes how Eve met both Gallo (in exquisite detail) and Quinn. There is a lot of repetition throughout the 3 novels with some chapters being entirely repeated in Book 2 and 3 (some fillers!). If Johansen had summed up the entire affair between Eve and Gallo in the few lines it deserved, edited her dialogs, deleted all the bluster, limited allusions to hardening, stiffening, inhaling and pausing, if she had avoided copying and pasting entire portions of her books into the next volumes, she could have fitted the whole story in one book to the eternal gratitude of her readers and their pocket books.
This is very poor fiction and a sham on all readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is That All There Is?, October 25, 2011
boswell (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonnie (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
I have always been conflicted about this author. I love her plots and characters, particularly in the Eve Duncan books, but I hate her dialogue and far fetched situations. All of that was present here. Long time readers got their wrap-up of the Bonnie story, and that was very nice. But after all the build-up the explanation seemed pretty lame to me, and most of the dialogue, particularly the alleged "tension" between all the male characters, was fairly laughable. I did really like the closing dialogue between Eve and Bonnie, and I like the strong friendship that continues to grow between Eve and Catherine. Also, I hope we haven't seen the end of Bonnie's ghost. Finally, I'd like to start seeing in future books some of the prior minor characters from this series, like Logan and Sarah, Galen and Elena etc...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, November 1, 2011
Having read her entire Eve Duncan, I think she should have summed it up somehow with Quinn. Bonnie was too long, boring in parts, and anticlimatic. Before I bought it I was wondering just what she could possibly write for an entire book on Bonnie. It was disappointing. Wish I could get my money back.

1.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A RELIEF, January 27, 2012
What a relief to finally see and read an ending to what has become a long drawn-out ordeal. This author turned what might have been a nice series by traveling so far away from what made the series exciting. What happened to her reconstructing the faces of those missing? What happened to her hands molding the clay? Instead she turned into a sniveling weakling with a sob story.
She started globe trotting,playing detective,shooting,escaping harrowing experiences, gaining a lover who could leave his detective job and travel anywhere at a moments notice. She travels with her current skull. Some reality!!!!!!!! Back and forth with the trusting and not trusting. Over and over again the same,does she or doesn't she,does he or doesn't he. I guess this author stretched it out and made some bucks. I skimmed through Bonnie then I gathered up all of the Eve Duncan books, the whole lot of them,and threw them in the trash.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful Book, February 3, 2012
I can't believe the author has spun this story out over three books and over 1,000 pages. It is tedious, boring and not even interesting. I questioned whether I should read it or not. I should have saved my time. The author needs to explore other novels or find a new job.

2.0 out of 5 stars so disappointed, December 18, 2011
I have read all the Eve Duncan books over the years and looked forward to Eve finally finding "her Bonnie". So to say I was disappointed in her final book is an understatement. I skimmed dozens of pages at a time just to get to something interesting. The writing was boring and repetitive. I don't understand why all her prior books kept me entertained page after page and this one was so dull. For those that started WAY back in the beginning, you have to read it to find out the ending. But my suggestion is don't buy it. Check it out of the library. Save your money for something better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rushed to publication., November 3, 2011
I've been following this story, and this writer, for many years. The last few novels have become progressively commercial, losing the depth and style that long ago attracted me to
her writing and stories. I'm only about 40% into this book, and am forcing myself to plod through it. A huge disappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's finally over, October 24, 2011
Personally I found the book painful to finish. Not because the story ended, but because I truly believe the author could and should have written 1 long book with Eve, Quinn and Bonnie. she could have cut out 10 percent our more from each individual book and made it the last big bang of the saga.

Bonnie (Eve Duncan)
Bonnie (Eve Duncan) by Iris Johansen (Hardcover - October 18, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01