‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Bonsai, August 10, 2001
Tacie Himelright (Kennett Square, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
This is a good book. I have had it for a number of years. This is a good book for the beginner and the intermediate Bonsai enthusiast or if you are just going to buy and maintain a Bonsai. It is broken down into chapters including: The Art of Bonsai, A-Z of Bonsai Species, Creating a Bonsai, Propagating Bonsai, Maintaining Bonsai, Dictionary of Trees and Shrubs, Glossary and Index.
The Art of Bonsai is the overview. It give the basics, some background, and ideas and information. Most people will want to start in the A-Z of Bonsai Species. This has at least one color picture of the different plants (in some case 3 or 4 picture of different shapes, styles and arrangements) and is VERY handy. It has a detailed, close up view of the leaves and flowers so if your bonsai has a different shape or form, you can still identify your plant. Each of the 75 different species include the following information: Identification (Botanical name and common name), General description, Bonsai suggestions, Leaf detail, Container, Special interest, Seasonal features, Main Caption (which includes height, age, style and particular features of the Bonsai pictured), and Cultivation box. For those of us who have purchased our Bonsai this Cultivation Box has all the information in it we need to keep our Bonsai healthy and happy.
The Maintaining Bonsai section has all the information you will need to keep your Bonsai looking good. How to prune, repot, water and more are covered in this section. It also includes information on pests. Creating a Bonsai take you through all the steps from taking a raw plant to turning it into a masterpiece. The Dictionary give you all the information you need on the plant including cultivation (sun needs, watering, repotting, pruning and propagation), identification, cross reference and general description. It is a very handy reference once you know what kind of plant you have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction and quick reference of the art, March 10, 2000
Daniel (Sinking Spring, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
This book provides the beginner with all of the basic knowledge of the art needed to get started. If I had the option, I would have rated it 4 1/2 stars.
What I like best about the book is the many photos it has of the different plants and bonsai styles. This book will help you develop your bonsai taste because of the variety that it presents to the reader.
It is also an excellent quick reference, it provides the reader the basic needs of each of the trees presented as well as suitable styles and propagation methods. The information is presented in a quick and concise manner for each of the different trees.
About 76 pages of the book is used in presenting the A-Z of bonsai species, the rest of the book is used to present the basic skills and knowledge that you will need to maintain your plant.
The only thing that this book lacks is a "how to" styling guide. That said, I would strongly recommend that anyone who may think that they would be interested in bonsai should buy this book. The pictures are beautiful and even if you go no further in the craft it has a lot of good information about the various plants presented. For the more advanced bonsai artist, this book is a valuable quick reference.
This is a great first book to have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, wide variety of bonsai, many great ideas, September 17, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
The book "BONSAI" by Harry Tomlinson is a very informative bonsai manual. It provides my illustrations and tips for different styles of bonsai with easy to follow text. I find that if I have a question I can grab the book and it's there! I looked at many books before I picked this one and have not had any regrets. This book deserves 6 stars.
-Ryan Natschke Phoenix,AZ

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for the beginner or wouldbe Master., January 21, 2000
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
A wonderful book for all levels of Bonsai enthusiast. Clear concise text make this book a wonderful reference and teaching tool while the beautiful pictures make it a pleasure to read. The book contains a very good tree reference section with complete hints and tips on styling, care and maintenance for each type of plant. The information covers Australian, American and European growing conditions. Overall I would rate this as the best bonsai book available. If you only buy one book it should be "Bonsai" by Harry Tomlinson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quick reference, June 21, 2001
Chris Reardon (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
This book is essentially the compacted version of Tomlinson's "The Complete Bonsai". The wealth of full color images is just as descrptive (though much smaller), and the text much abridged, but if you are looking for a quick yet comprehensive reference, this book will fulfill your needs. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering taking up the art of bonsai. It covers various species and techniques in enough deatil to get anyone going, as well as keep a novice well-informed. It also would make a handy quick refence for any bonsai artist, though it does not go into extreme detail about any techniques. Overall I would call it a very complete overview and chock full of value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know, illustrated, January 6, 2006
black thumb (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
I had wanted to learn bonsai for years, but I kept putting it off because I couldn't find a reference that covered everything. Some books are great on types of plants but don't cover maintenance in much depth, some are great on maintenance but aren't well illustrated, and so on. Then I picked up this book, largely on the strength of the reviews I found here. I was not disappointed.

This 216 page book has an 'A-Z of Bonsai Species' that covers 75+ species with a pagefull of information and at least one (often two or three) full color photo of each. A dictionary of trees and shrubs at the back of the book covers the requirements and care of 250+ species. All of the major methods of starting bonzai are covered, as well as the major forms, and every aspect of care and maintenance, all with clearly written instructions and step-by-step photos. The book is beautifully illustrated throughout with full color photos. These are supplemented with very clear one-color pen-and-ink drawings in the section on wiring, which is quite detailed. There are lots of before, during, and after photos showing how bushy nurshery shrubs, seedlings, and cuttings can be turned into attractive bonsai. Every "but what about X" question I had was answered. It is simply the most comprehensive, best written, best illustrated, and most reassuring book on bonsai I've ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Place to Start, March 20, 2006
Monty Rainey (New Braunfels, TX) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
By no means would I ever be considered an expert on the art of Bonsai, but about 5 years, I took up the hobby. As an avid reader, when my interest blossomed, I bought several books on the subject. Of those, by far, I found BONSAI by Harry Tomlinson to be the best "beginners" book, but it is also one I have turn to time and again since I first took up the hobby.

This book is in six chapters, following the logical progression; The Art of Bonsai, A-Z of Bonsai Species, Creating a Bonsai, Propagating Bonsai, Maintaining Bonsai, and a Dictionary of Trees and Shrubs for Bonsai.

The photography is exceptional an, for the beginner, will heighten your interest and give you goals to strive for as you are sure to see some examples you simply cannot live without. The writing, though rather brief, is equally compelling and easy to understand, even for the beginner. There might be better books for beginning bonsai, but I never found them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept my trees alive, July 11, 2002
Eskimo Tailor (The Land of Cleves) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
Awesome! With this book alone, I have kept 5 trees alive for almost a year now (I lost one tree due to my sister's neglect while I was away).
Easy to read with great information.
Great photos and easy reference for most popular species. The species section is thoughtfully laid out with a block of easy to access pertinent information regarding watering, pruning, climate conditions, etc. for each tree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Book for the Cost, June 29, 2000
Eric K. Cooper (Greensburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
This is a terrific book for the money. I currently own five books devoted to bonsai, all ranging in price. For the money, this is an excellent book with great pictures. If you are just beginning to create and care for bonsai, this is one of the first books you should own.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book really organizes the Art of Bonsai, November 21, 2001
Veronica Bennett (Wilmington, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) (Paperback)
This book is a good basic start for the beginner (me!) Bonsai enthusiast. It is well organized, the graphics are a super plus. It is a handy and compact reference that is easy and comprehensive.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks)
Bonsai (RD Home Handbooks) by Harry Tomlinson (Paperback - January 1, 1995)
Used & New from: $0.01