5.0 out of 5 stars Scary Enough, and Clever, Too...
My youngest child has been afraid of the dark, strange noises, and the unknown for a long long time. At age 6 he discovered this book, and read it again and again.
Published on June 18, 2000 by Quaker Annie

1.0 out of 5 stars The reason I disliked this product
Reason I disliked this product is because it was a cheap copy, paper thin and had a $1.00 price affixed to it, but it was sold to me for $6.
Published 10 months ago by cynthia anastasia

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary Enough, and Clever, Too..., June 18, 2000
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Paperback)
This surprised me at first - it's a lot like Hansel and Gretel but for a small child, boy or girl, who is dealing with the scariness of the real world, Bony-Legs is a story that's scary but encouraging. What goes around will come around, is the message this book gives.
Sasha's aunt (her mother never would have done such a thing!) sends her to Bony-Leg's house in the woods to fetch a needle and thread.
Along the way, Sasha is kind to a hungry cat and a skinny dog, feeding them her lunch. She greases a creaking gate at the entrance to Bony-Leg's cottage.
"Poor gate," said Sasha, "You need some grease."
Once she gets to Bony-Leg's, she's locked in the bathroom, told to get nice and clean so Bony-Legs can eat her up. The cat, the dog she fed on her way to Bony-Leg's give her a mirror, a wooden comb and let her escape without a mew or a bark. The kindly oiled gate lets her out without a squeak.
With the help of these others, and the use of her own cleverness in figuring out how to use the mirror and the comb, Sasha escapes. And Bony-Legs - well, you'll have to read the story to find out all the details!
An enjoyable, short read filled with color pictures and a kind child's cleverness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sasha's Delight!, January 3, 2007
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Paperback)
If you have a child named Sasha then I strongly suggest that you give her this book. It was one of my all-time favorites as a child and I think my mother donated the book to my elementry school library (that how much it meant to me). There are many books with Marys, Elizabeths, Janes...but a Sasha book is hard to come by. Rave review!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bony legs, August 13, 2005
K. Corbin (highlandtown, Oh. usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Paperback)
I had this book when I was in grade school,15 years ago. I have since bought a new copy, and passed it on to my 8 yr. old step-son and my 4 yr. old daughter. Although it is a little scary for younger kids, as it refers to bony-legs liking to "eat little children," it is enjoyable, and simple enough to explain to kids that its just pretend. My step-son enjoys reading the book outloud to himself, and my 4 yr old loves to have it read to her almost every night. In my opinion, there really is no moral to the story, it is just a simple, fun, children's book that brings out there imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Absolute Favorite, July 26, 2004
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Paperback)
Bony-Legs was the book that sparked my love of reading. I checked this book out of my elementary school's library so many times the librarian wouldn't allow me to have it anymore. Instead, I was given my own copy. To this very day, it is still one of my all-time favorites. This is always the first book I recommend to children and their parents. It's perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars The house that stood on CHICKEN FEET!!!, June 30, 2005
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Paperback)
If I had a quarter for every time I've read this book....(as I'm writing this I'm reciting the text--I think I have it memorized). To this day, high school students, college students, even the occasional cashier at Walmart will look up at me, smile, and I'll know I'm encountering one of my long ago elementary school storytimers all grown up. If we talk for longer than 45 seconds he or she will invariably bring up Bony Legs. This is one of those books that has all the right ingredients--It's a great read-aloud book--scary enough to make the children jump but not so scary that you'll get phone calls from parents. It has enough plot to be interesting and some decent characterization--a wicked witch who lives deep in the woods in a house that stood on chicken feet, a girl, Sasha, who has an adventure in those woods and manages to escape being eaten by Bony Legs because of her kindness to the dog, the cat, and the gate belonging to this witch. Joanna Cole wrote this story with an easy reader vocabulary, so children are able to go back to the book and read it to themselves. During a given school year Bony Legs always made at least two appearances during story time--sometimes three or four or more--depending on the demands of the children. It's as popular with children today as it was almost twenty years ago. Bony Legs is based upon the Baba Yaga legends--folktales from Russia. I use this book to introduce the tale. A month or so later I'll read Eric Kimmel's Baba Yaga, which is longer and more detailed (it has a Cinderella-like component). The children will get so excited--"It's like Bony Legs!" they exclaim. Indeed. There are actually a number of versions of the Baba Yaga legends available in picture book format. I have put many of them in my storytime arsenal, but THIS one, hands down, is the ALL TIME FAVORITE with the children.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, January 8, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Library Binding)
i remembered reading this book as a child and loved it. when i had my son i searched for and bought this book. it is a little on the scary side, but teaches children about kindness and gentleness at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bont Legs, May 18, 2000
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Paperback)
As a kid, Bony Legs expanded my imagination. And now as an adult, it is much fun to read this book to my nieces. Though it may be a bit frightning to some, Bony Legs is an overall great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Very Best Children's Stories you'll ever Find!!!, July 29, 2001
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Library Binding)
I get books gallore from the library to read to my children. I read them, turn them in, and that's the end of them. But when I turned in "Bony Legs" 5 1/2 years ago, when my daughter was 3, that was not the end of it!!! My daughter Sasha loved that story so much, I've had to re-tell and re-re-tell and re-re-re-tell, etc. that story to her many times. Five and a half years later, I still use that story as her bedtime story. I'm an adult and I love the story myself! It is a very clever and good story. She loves the story, not because the character and she have the same name, but it does give it a wonderful added touch! Then, when she entered kindergarten, her kindergarten teacher read "Bony Legs" to the class (the teacher made a very good selection), all the kids in the class stared at my daughter, so the teacher had to show the kids the book, she said, "Look, it really says 'Sasha', I'm not making it up." But regardless of the character's name, the book is one of the best you'll ever find. So if you haven't already read it to your child(ren), whether you are a parent or a teacher, please don't let the kids miss out on such a good book. Please read it to them!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary beyond all reason, April 7, 2002
Kurt Lausman (East Lansing, MI (Go MSU)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Paperback)
This book scared the bejesus out of me as a child. The version I had came with a record, so the witch's horrid shrieking and teeth gnashing could be adequately grasped by children that were too young to read. This book was also the cause of many sweaty nightmares, and sleepless sunsets with closet lights on. I tell this story orally to children and friends, and they are frightened by the house that stood on chicken feet and the thought of being chased by a nasty witch who runs with unhuman speed through a forest with intentions of eating a little girl. The details of the illustrations are also phenomenal, right down to the unnerving wallpaper in the witch's house. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants to punish children with fright, or finally tell a story around a campfire that is truly scary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 29, 2014
This review is from: Bony-Legs (Paperback)
BOOK WAS IN GREAT CONDITION THANKZ = )

Bony-Legs
Bony-Legs by Joanna Cole (Paperback - 1983)
Used & New from: $1.16