Customer Discussions > Rick Riordan forum

Boo-boos in Rick Riordan's books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 12, 2010 4:41:21 PM PDT
I started reading the Percy Jackson books after taking my 9-year old daughter to see "The Lightning Thief". She loved the film (as did I) and was so taken with the concept that she wanted to read the books immediately!

I have thoroughly enjoyed the books, but I have noticed some rather glaring errors. The first was in "The Lightning Thief", when he describes the driver's side doors (plural) of Gabe's '78 Camaro being wedged in the mud after the crash when the car was hit by lightning. Problem is, Camaros are 2-doors, as in 2 doors total, one on each side.

It's amazing that this glaring error got past the editing/proofreading process at the book's initial publication, and given how long this book has been out, I can't believe that some sharp car-savvy kid hasn't written a letter to Riordan letting him know about it!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 8:07:45 PM PDT
LAME!!!! If thats what you got out of the book you are LAME!!!! car doors??? really??? the book is fiction. get over it. everyone else did.

Posted on May 28, 2010 4:41:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2010 4:43:03 PM PDT
suzannek says:
Although Valerie may have not been very gentle in her summation of what you gained from reading 5 books, she is absolutely correct. As a teacher, mother, and avid Rick Riordan fan of all his children's work; to get so little as an "s" is most sad. Rick has written wonderful stories that are getting kids reading. And that includes the ones like Percy who have a harder time with reading. They have wonderful heroes in Percy, Annabeth, Grover, and the rest. Now with the new Kane Chronicles they have Carter and Sadie too. Go on any fan club site and they will tell you of the typeo's every book and series have some. Harry Potter was full of them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 7:57:05 PM PDT
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Valerie - take a Prozac and lie down, why don't you... geezus.

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, and I think that they are amazing books that have a lot to offer to kids: classical Greek mythology (the basis for so much of Western literature... ), well-rounded characters, inventive plotting - and a healthy dose of good values slipped in so subtly that the kids don't even notice it. The little goofs I have noticed in the books take NOTHING away from the books, but I do notice things like this.

Yes, the Percy Jackson books are fiction (as my daughter would say, "Well duuh!"), and not only that, they are fantasy. To work best, the placement of fantasy elements against a background of reality requires the reality to be coherent - and overall, Rick Riordan does that very well. Errors like this are relatively inconsequential, but noticeable nevertheless, and should have been easily caught by a copyreader/editor who is on their toes (though this one is so basic that I wonder how it got written that way in the first place - a Camaro is not an exotic car; anyone who hasn't been living on a mountaintop since 1967 or so will have seen one at some time).

I thought that it would be fun to start a forum like this and see how closely people are paying attention - but if I get any more posts like Valerie's it's not going to be any fun.

And Val - like Thumper always said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." (And I might add, "If you don't have anything intelligent to say... ")

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 8:01:16 PM PDT
Read my reply to Valerie's erudite and thoughtful post...

Catching the error about the "4-door Camaro" is NOT all that I got out of reading the Percy Jackson books, and thank you so much for assuming that I am that dense.

I will be reading the new Kane Chronicles book as soon as I can get it away from my 9-year old...

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 9:09:31 PM PDT
I agree with The Dread Pirate. However, are we so sure that in Percy's universe there weren't any 4 door Camaro's. After all, in his Manhattan the Empire State building has a 600th floor so why quibble about a 4 door Camaro. <LOL> Anything is possible in a fantasy writer's mind which is why the genre is called fantasy. I can see why this series is extremely appealing to kids since I have a hard time putting them down once I begin to read them and I'm 63. Percy, Annabeth, and his cadre are great role models for kids and the books really do an excellent job emphasizing personal values and ethics without ramming them down the reader's throats. At the risk of spouting heresy, I truly believe these books are much better than the Potter series. (Oh, btw, Mr. Ed was a zebra dyed white and not a horse - go figure!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 7:10:14 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 6:18:12 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2010 7:11:47 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010 4:39:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2010 4:43:45 PM PDT
E. James says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 7:14:40 AM PDT
If your comment isn't relevant to the subject (errors in Rick Riordan's "Percy Jackson" books) keep it to yourself, or start a new discussion on whether or not Mr Ed was a zebra...

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 2:26:25 PM PDT
M. fellmeth says:
Yes, I noticed that, but oh well. The other books have at least one error in them each.
(The series is awesome, but if you think that's annoying, I read this other book that had - and I counted - seven errors.) But anyway, yeah, they ALL have something wrong in em.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 3:17:02 PM PDT
ecotopian says:
That's the least of the problems of that book. Why weren't Zeus and Poseidon punished for breaking the oath they swore on the Styx? There *is* a punishment for breaking that oath. Go to: http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/PotamosStyx.html and scroll down to the section "The Oath of the Styx". If no one is punished for breaking the oath, what use is it? After they blew it off, how is it binding anymore for anyone? This isn't the same as Annabeth saying there were no digital pictures of her when she was "born". Well, of course not. Commercial digital photography didn't exist in the early 1990's. There are flaws in all of these books. Don't get me started on the ending of "The Battle of the Labyrinth."

Don't get me wrong, I like these books. It made me go to the source material by Hesiod, Ovid, and Homer (I'm parent who read these books, too). It was by reading Hesiod's "Theogony" that I found out about the oath on the Styx. It makes me wonder who the editor was and if they knew anything about Greek mythology. You would hope so, but to miss something like that looks really bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 3:28:31 PM PDT
Wow! I was looking at easy stuff like a 4-door Camaro - mbeth has really delved into the depths!

Some simplification of the complexities of the tales of Greek mythology (and glossing over some of the not-suitable-for-PG-audiences aspects of the tales... ) is not only perfectly acceptable, in my opinion, but entirely appropriate for the intended 4th- to 9th-grade audience for these books.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 2:00:50 PM PDT
george says:
well, mbeth, isnt the punishment for breaking the oath death? I might be wrong about the punishment and if so please correct me, but you cant really kill a god so wouldn't the punishment just get overlooked or be inefective?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2010 7:06:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2010 7:14:01 PM PDT
hmmm didn't catch that. did catch other mistakes like Thalia's eyes being green in book one and blue in the other 4 books, Nico was reported to having Hades' eyes in book 4 but when Percy described Maria Di Angelo, he said she had the same eyes as Nico. Blackjack is of course a boy pegasus but in book 2, when Percy saves him, the book says he is a she. Noticed some other stuff too but those were the most vivid to remember but hey, we're all human, we make mistakes. So far my favorite series. Kinda wondered if everyone else noticed these things or not.

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 6:29:57 AM PDT
N. Moore says:
I started reading these after my family and I saw the movie. My daughter is 10 and she is reading the first book. I am getting ready to start the 5th. I like reading them. I can quiz my daughter to make sure that she is comprehending what she is reading. My wife makes fun of me for reading "kids" books. Oh well. I am a very normal reader...I have not caught any of these examples. So I guess obviously kids probably will not pick up on them either.

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 2:27:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2010 2:28:19 PM PDT]

Posted on May 6, 2011 10:58:01 PM PDT
Z. Harley says:
Considering the departure from the "original" source material...everything humans have writen about greek/roman mythology is exactly that...what humans wrote to describe what happened or what they were told. It's not cannon. The series can depart from the original mythology without it being an error. Some put far to much stock in picking out errors. Its called art, not writing a biography. As far as some of the little things like Nico's eyes...can't people ahve the same eyes...or they can remind you of two different people. Lets not pick out errors and mistakes just to be "that guy". There always has to be someone that has to attack someone else's work just for the sake of pointing out other's flaws. Let it go...take it for what it is. A book. A work of fiction. A piece of entertainment. An escape from the mundane day to day life. The are no "facts" in these books that require someone to disprove them. Lets all just say that we greatly appreciate such an outstanding series of books and applaud and eagerly await the next one, and not so we can just point out additional mistakes.

If you read this, thank you, Mr Riordan. Your creativity, your eagerness, your unique perspective have given both child and adult alike entertainment that I am sure will long outlive all of while providing entertainment for our grandchildern and beyond. So few people have accomplished positive things that will continue on past their own lifespan. You are one of those few and I personnally would like to thank you.

Zack Harley

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 4:15:48 PM PDT
Here's one: Percy and co. went from Camp Half Blood in Long Island, New York. They crossed the Potomac River into central DC. If they did that, they took the long way to DC by going around Maryland into Virginia and back up into DC. You can't cross the Potomac River into DC coming from the North.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 3:50:32 PM PDT
Gary Denton says:
Mr. Ed was not a zebra. That was a snopes.com spoof page, which is very obvious. I'm being polite here.

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 8:09:18 AM PDT
Au Feli says:
Hey do any of u know if these books will come out in the e-book format?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2011 10:14:02 AM PDT
Sparhawk says:
Available in Kindle format I know.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 2:07:28 PM PDT
someone needs to learn the difference in spelling of prophesy and prophecy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 5:49:00 AM PDT
J. Gilmartin says:
I agree with DPR. My issue is missing words. Here I am, blythly reading at a fast rate, and then the copyreader/editor didn't catch a missing word. It's like a verbal pothole.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rick Riordan forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  May 12, 2010
Latest post:  May 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions