Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on December 3, 2010
Wow! Over 700 pages of Dave Carnie. This book is huge and it will go neatly in my bookcase next to my Faulkner and Pynchon. Look at me! I read HUGE books! At first I asked "Why? I already have all the Big Brothers." and then someone replied. "I don't." Then it all made sense. One repository of everything Dave Carnie wrote while working at Big Brother and his attempt and success in destroying skateboarding journalism in one not so small Canadian package. This is the perfect collectors piece and a great gift for skateboarders and anybody with a sense of humor. Funny Funny. All of it.
on June 6, 2011
Even mentioning such ridiculous shows as Jackass and the Wyld Boyz when talking about Carnie's genius is insulting. His works go FAR beyond that. This book isn't for everyone (as you can see in the comment above mine.) Why somebody that doesn't skateboard would buy a collection of articles from a skateboard magazine is beyond me. At the time these were written, skateboarding was very much an outcasts way of life. Tony Hawk toys didn't come in Happy meals, skateboards weren't sold at Wal Mart, Bam Margera actually still skated. This is a book that tells that story... well kind of. Don't buy this book simply because you think kicking your friend in the nuts is cool (obviously referencing the last commenter again). Needless to say, this is one of the best books I've read. Despite having read alot of the articles before in Big Brother. I will read this again. And again. And again. Fully worth the money. Carnie's work is amazing. Buy this book. And don't return it simply because there's no footage of some midget lighting a fat guy on fire, or some dude eating a pube sandwich in it. It's not Jackass. It's a book, Jackass.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2011
I wrote a long review for this book but I deleted it and decided to go a different direction with this review. If you love Dave Carnie's writing like I do, buy this book. You won't be disappointed.
on May 21, 2012
Let's face it. Skaters are not often readers. Reading is what you do in/for school. It's what THEY make you do when you'd otherwise be skateboarding, smoking pot, trying to coax the opposite sex into recreational intercourse, etc. Street-wise they may be, but the skater's is not a 'literary' sensibility. There's a tradition of scribbling skaters looking to differentiate skateboarding from 'mere sports', or even 'lifestyles', and taking recourse to terms like 'poetry' or 'art' - but this is just a conflated way of saying it is 'beautiful'. There are exceptions - Eric Koston has been known to lay down tricks which might be termed 'ironic' - but mostly skateboarding and poetry represent differing spheres of cultural practice. They are seperate cultures, each inscribed with their own sensibilities and connectivities with the culture at large, and never the twain shall meet. Or so you'd be forgiven for thinking, because that's precisely the conundrum Dave Carnie has, over the span of his career, seen to destabilize. In a sub-culture ruefully conducive to the American inarticulate-is-good meme, the Carnivore's import lay in demonstrating to a generation of average skateboarding underachievers that words needn't suck, but could actually be cool. Carnie's text-heavy tour reports, rife with inane asides and devices more commonly associated with 'serious' fiction, were a defiant F-U in the face of publications like Transworld, which were responsible for the ESPNification of skateboarding in the mid-90s. Just how many people actually read his pieces remains moot, but in an industry fiending for the lowest common denominator teen denmographic, to have a publication like Big Brother with the silly but thoughtful musings of a Carnie or Pontius was like a breath of fresh air after an all-night depends party. At any rate, Dave Carnie inspired yours truly to resist the moronic inferno of every day life, to seek refuge in books, not television. It was Carnie who lured me out of the safe, cartoon-world of skateboarding into the dark recesses of the historical mind plumbed by serious literature. If skateboarding gave me an excuse to go outside and explore the world, the inspired scribblings of Dave Carnie pointed the way to the inner life that might be had when you genuinely cease to care what your well-meaning but witless friends and family might think, and pursue what is meaningful and true for you. Penis. Vagina.
on October 12, 2013
loved the magizine so much, It was great that Jackass made all the guys rich and famous but it took the magize I loved from obscurity to fame to bust. Great to read all the old articles in the book. Dave Carnie is great.
on October 18, 2012
I am certifierad nöjd helt enkelt! Tror att jag går och lägger mig nu. snabbt skickat och allt bra. Idag regnade det en del här i göteborg men annars har det gått bra tycker jag
on March 29, 2012
I read the entire book to my cat Gary. It took us 42 and a half hours. Gary perked up one time when heard his name, otherwise he slept most of the time
on January 8, 2013
book is amazing, simply amazing work from dave. A must own for any readers of the magazine. classic carn carn
on June 7, 2011
on June 12, 2011
I was really looking forward to this book and I was so disappointed. I guess what I thought was awesome writing as a kid turns out to be mediocre crap.