4.0 out of 5 stars forget the critics!
I recently watched Boogeyman, and I was sooooo glad I didnt listen to every wannabe critic in every magazine and newspaper i picked up. I was told, and i read, that this film was rubbish. Whereas it's really not.

Published on April 29, 2005 by Eddy Campbell

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought the "Boogeyman" was supposed to keep me awake
If there's one trend in horror movies that really needs to go away it's the Loud Sudden Noise, aka the "SHREEENK!"

Published on February 5, 2005 by Clare Quilty

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought the "Boogeyman" was supposed to keep me awake, February 5, 2005
Clare Quilty (a little pad in hawaii) - See all my reviews

I mean that overamplified, more-annoying-than-scary racket that jumps from the speakers during a thriller whenever anything mildly startling happens. It usually sounds like a cello being sliced in two by a guillotine and it's a sure sign that a movie doesn't have any honest scares.

You know the drill:

The hero cautiously backs into a dark room and bumps into - SHREEENK! - a coat rack.

The heroine closes a medicine cabinet and in the mirror - SHREEENK! - sees the ghost of her great-aunt.

Few recent horror flicks have relied as heavily on the "SHREEENK!" as "Boogeyman," which is often atmospheric but mostly silly and boring.

Following a childhood run-in with the title character, magazine editor Tim (Barry Watson) is left with a crippling fear of closets and other dark storage spaces. He's a mess. At 23, he still stops in for treatment at the kid's ward of his neighborhood psychiatric hospital.

"Look around you," his doctor finally tells him. "There are only children here."

I fear that scene isn't nearly as moving as the writers intended, but it sets the tone because Tim spends most of the movie walking around his dark old house wigging out - in fact, a good 60 percent of the film's running time is devoted to scenes in which he approaches sinister-looking doors/staircases/barns really... really... really... slowly (just before the "SHREEENK!").

The rest of the movie involves Tim doubting his sanity and awkwardly courting his childhood sweetheart (Emily Deschanel, who isn't given much to do but still manages to be the best thing in the movie). Eventually, they battle the fabled Boogie Man, and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure their conflict ends as the result of a complete lack of ideas.

This is one "Boogeyman" that won't keep many viewers awake. That task falls to the "SHREEENK!"

1.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Waste of Time and Money, June 6, 2005
David Girod (Westminster, Maryland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Boogeyman (Special Edition) (DVD)
You know what would have made "Boogeyman" scarier? Just about anything! Truly nothing happens in this movie after the first five minutes. The lead guy walks around teary-eyed and looking mysterious at half opened doors or ceiling tiles......and then.....nothing. Don't waste your time with this thing, if you want something that sets a pretty good eerie mood, get "Fear of the Dark" instead. It's shot on almost no budget, with no stars of any kind, but at least "Fear of the Dark" gives the viewer some kind of pay-off, and packs at least a minimal fright factor.

4.0 out of 5 stars forget the critics!, April 29, 2005
This review is from: Boogeyman (Special Edition) (DVD)

I'm not gonna summarise it, i'm just going to tell you that this film is pretty scary. I will admit that the alst half isnt really as scary as the first half. But there is interesting, but confucing, twists in the second half that will consume you. And the ending was strange too, but very watchable.

If you wanna get totally freaked out, as I did, watch this in the dark, with the volume up high and you'll get every jump and chill out of this movie....

2.0 out of 5 stars TONS of missed potential......, June 27, 2005
H. A Huffman "haumf" (Mt. Prospect, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boogeyman (Special Edition) (DVD)
Boogeyman could have been a very scary film except that the director and producer wanted that all-important PG13 rating. This is killing the horror movie as an art form; Boogeyman is a clear case of shocks traded in for an imaginary audience who likes bloodless horror movies (like "The Ring").

This movie sets up an interesting story, then does almost nothing with it. And the "surprise twist" in the film was a surprise only to the 5 year olds in the audience taken to this film by their baby-sitterless parents.

I miss the old "Hellraiser" days when horror films strived for an "R" rating and wore it as a badge of honor. I hope Hollywood will start making films like that again.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Liked This Movie Better When It Was Called "Darkness Falls", August 25, 2005
This review is from: Boogeyman (Special Edition) (DVD)
Is it just me or did anyone else notice that "Boogeyman" is almost a scene for scene rip off of the much better 2003 movie, "Darkness Falls"?

Don't believe me? Check it out:

1) Both movies open with a young boys in their bedrooms at night who are afraid to go to sleep because they fear that mythical beings from folklore will come and harm them. In "Darkness Falls," it's a vengeful Tooth Fairy. In the Boogeyman it's well, duh, the Boogeyman.

2) In both movies these scenes end with the young boys watching in helpless terror as said mythical beings slaughter a parent. In "Darkness Falls," Mom buys the farm. In "Boogeyman" it's Dad that gets it.

3) After the previous scene, both movies jump forward several years to the same boys as young men. In both cases, they remain so traumatized by the prior events that they've even adapted their living quarters to fend off future attacks they believe will one day come. In "Darkness" hero Chaney Kley's apartment has more lights than the Las Vegas strip since the Tooth Fairy can only exist in darkness. In "Boogeyman," every closet or cupboard in Barry Watson's apartment is windowed so that he can see if the Boogeyman is hiding inside before opening.

4) In both movies, the young heroes are forced by a tragic events to return to their hometowns where they must face the evils that have haunted their dreams since childhood. And once they hit town, both young men immediately reconnect with old childhood flames who've not surprisingly grown up into serious hotties.

5) Lastly, both movies also end with frantic, climaxes where the young heroes use their wits to dispatch their supernatural enemies in explosive finishes.

Seriously, I could go on but what's point? There is one significant difference here though. "Darkness Falls" is actually an okay movie where as "Boogeyman" kinda sucks.

To its credit, the opening scene(though as I said it's a ripoff) is a killer and had me genuinely creeped out. But after that the movie descends into scene after scene of Watson moping around.

The few original story elements the movie does try to use like the Boogeyman and his origins don't work. The movie doesn't really explain who or what the Boogeyman is though there are suggestions that any child who fears the Boogeyman deeply enough can make him real.

Bottom line this one's not only a loser but also such a blatant ripoff of "Darkness Falls" that if I were the attorney for the scriptwriter of that film I'd probably recommend filing a copyright infringement lawsuit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have read the reviews, October 13, 2008
This review is from: Boogeyman (Special Edition) (DVD)
I rented this one on a whim, having heard nothing about it and knowing nothing of the cast or director. It didn't look that great, but I always liked the folkloric "boogeyman" character and I figured if nothing else it would be worth some cheap thrills and a bit of fun. I was wrong.

"Boogeyman" is one of the most disjointed, obtuse and utterly unenjoyable flicks I have seen for a long time. The first few minutes are so predictable it is almost like a parody of better horror films, and then things just get worse. Bad (or non-existent) plot. Bad acting. Bad CGI monster that looks like it was recycled from The Mummy. Just bad in general.

The main character, Barry Watson, thinks acting consists of trying to strike the most brooding pose possible. He plays the male in possibly the most uninteresting love-triangle put to film, with his gorgeous, rich, caring girlfriend (Tory Mussett) on one side, and his plain-jane tomboy childhood sweetheart (Zooey Deschanel's sister Emily Deschanel) on the other. There is no real conflict here, and the gals just appear and disappear as the plot calls for it, moon a bit over our brooding hero, and then...exit the stage when their cue is called. Oh, and of course there is a pre-requisite "spooky little kid" character (Skye McCole Bartusiak), and if you can't figure out her story about five minutes following her appearance than you haven't been watching any horror films for the past 10 years. Even if you slog through the whole flick, there is no resolution. Is the boogeyman real or not? Did certain characters die or not? What exactly is going on? You will never know...

This DVD comes with a few extra features, including an interview with the director, Stephen T. Kay. I was almost more interested in this than the movie, because I was curious as to how he could justify the train-wreck he made. I was even more annoyed when I heard him talking about how he wanted to emulate Japanese and Korean horror movies, and that was his goal when making "Boogeyman". I happen to be a fan of Asian horror flicks, and I can say that he widely missed the mark. He scratches only the most surface areas of the genre, while ignoring all of the rich cultural mythology and depth that make the films work. Clearly, Stephen T. Kay should stick to his role as "Reginald Jennings" on the soap opera General Hospital, and stay away from the back of a movie camera. Based on this film, he is a director to avoid.

The one good thing that I have to say about "Boogeyman" is that it is beautifully photographed, and both props and sympathies go to the cinematographer, whose talents where fully wasted on this amateur-hour production.

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely Creepy, July 2, 2006
This review is from: Boogeyman (Special Edition) (DVD)
Boogeyman oozes with fear, primarily because Barry Watson is fantastic at showing the panicky, childish fear we all know is deep within ourselves. This fear is the centerpiece of Boogeyman; this is not a slasher or gorefest movie. The Ring, Darkness Falls, and Jeepers Creepers are other recent Hollywood releases that are scary in similar ways. The cinematography, editing, and overall direction by Stephen Kay are first-rate. There really is no sound track, but rather a nearly continuous series of creepy sound-effects that increasingly prickle the nerves (in a good/creepy way) as the movie runs. The combination make watching Boogeyman a genuinely scary experience.

One wonders through most of the movie whether this really is about a supernatural, literal Boogeyman, or perhaps a digression into the mind of sick young man who was psychologically deranged by his father's locking him in closets as a youngster and then running off, leaving a seriously depressed wife and emotionally damaged son. Some aspects of the movie brought to mind Identity, and Hide and Seek. Without giving anything away, suffice it to say that the resolution to Boogeyman's story does not satisfy either as a monster movie or as a psychological thriller.

It is surprising that this movie doesn't rate higher, as all but the final 10 minutes are quite good. Unfortunately, the ending is often what's remembered, and perhaps that's part of the reason for the low ratings. Expectations from Raimi's involvement (which apparently was very slight) and Evil Dead are sure to disappoint; Boogeyman is a completely different type of movie. Even so, Boogeyman is very scary throughout (unless blood-n-guts are required to scare you), and is overall a very good movie.

The Special Edition DVD has an alternate ending that is quite good (perhaps superior), being very different from that in the movie. I usually skip watching the deleted scenes, but am glad I watched them here; many are great, e.g., Watson once again excelling in his portrayal of a visceral revulsion to a maggot-ridden rabbit falling on him. Two "Making of" features are also well done, and compensate for the lack of a commentary track for the movie.

Recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars This movie blows like I thought it would, February 7, 2005
Michael Sekac (Port Angeles, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Let's start by saying I hate the sudden surge of all the pg-13 horror movies directed at making pre-pubescent girls jump (there is a reason the only good review on this site is from a kid). This movie actually manages to be less scary and make less sense than "The Grudge". The only scary moments in the movie are jump moments and not one of them made me jump, there is no tension or creepy parts in the movie at all. The last half-an-hour of the movie doesn't even make sense by horror standards. The only reason I'm not pissed that I saw it is because I saw it for free. The only entertainment that can be derived from this waste of celluloid, is that you can watch it with your buddies and make fun of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste... With one original 'scene', May 26, 2007
VideoPhile "j_cole" (Central Coast, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boogeyman (Special Edition) (DVD)
I dislike to 'pan' a movie - I do (check my other reviews). The old saying, "If you can't say something nice..."

Sorry, in this case, it needs saying, "This movie is a waste."

The only thing this movie does is make the viewer ask, "Where have I seen that before?" From the crow in the windshield, to the 'I see dead people', to the previous reviewer's 'shreenk', to the 'back away from the closet only to be grabbed from under the bed' this movie rips off a plethora of others.

The only original scene - product placement for the "tweens" - 'Red Bull and Vodka' - he pours it once about half way through the movie, but in the remainder of the movie we see it another half dozen times. I'm not sure but I think the legal drinking age is 21 - what audience is that drink intended for???

-Here is a tip: If you want to know what others think of a movie at Amazon - check out the `other sellers' - a newer movie with "283 used & new available from $0.01" - means `not very good'. "The Haunting", released in 1999, you can not get for less than $2.50 (and it costs less than "Boogeyman" new).

3.0 out of 5 stars [3.5] A Clean, Non-Violent, Atmospheric Little Chiller, February 5, 2007
Steven Hedge "Movie Fan" (Somewhere "East of Eden") - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boogeyman (Special Edition) (DVD)
There is nothing great in this film except for very clever camera angles which are appropriately disorienting and quick flashy editing a la "The Grudge" and "The Ring" (which are far superior horror flicks). However, I found myself enjoying this little film nevertheless because of the smaller elements within the film.

It is a simple tale and much of the specifics are already given in Amazon's review/synopsis and the product descriptor. I want to focus here on what I liked about the film. This is a rather low-budget flick and that can often be a good thing as it forces the director and writers to be clever with little money. I already mentioned that the photography and editing are excellent, but so is the cinematography, which deals more with color, shades, and the like. It is truly nightmarish. The film's 88 minutes leave little room for tangents that don't play a part in the story and this causes the story to unfold at a suspenseful, but fast clip.

The principal actors are all rather familar and are quite convincing in their roles. Barry Watson of "7th Heaven" fame is the grown up kid who witnessed the Boogeyman take his dad. Lucy Lawless of "Xena" is in this film all too briefly, but is terrifying as the dying mom sending a last message to her son. Lastly, Emily Deschanel of the current hit "Bones" lends wonderful support as the childhood "girlfriend" from the past who still cares about our hero.

I found this film to be an effective little chiller. It's not one of my favorites and I can easily understand the negative reviews on here regarding this film, but, nevertheless, I did enjoy it. It plays well at home on a rainy night and it's a pleasant and spooky diversion from the more blood and gore, gratuitous sex and nudity, and paint-by-numbers slasher films that we've been hammered with lately and in the past. In comparison to those, this film is quite original and tame, but fun just the same.

I like a horror film that I can actually watch with my kids who are 10 and 14. They weren't terribly frightened by this film, but they enjoyed the spooky qualities within it. That and a bowl of popcorn and they are happy campers.

Boogeyman (2005)