5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for any Moomin fan
Published on May 22, 2000 by Ben Elliss

3.0 out of 5 stars not the same book....
Published on December 8, 2010 by Jean Laukant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for any Moomin fan, May 22, 2000
I ordered 'The Book about Moomin, Mymble and Little My' from Amazon.com in 1997 since the book wasn't (and still isn't) available over here in England. I own (and treasure) all eight of Tove Jansson's Moomin novels, and I was curious to see this picture book. 'The Book about Moomin...' was an early work, and is targetted at children far more than Tove's later, more complicated work. It's a colorful picture book, telling a simple story of Moomintroll, Little My and her sister the Mymble. The artwork is all by Jansson and is in the same style as 'Comet in Moominland' and 'Finn Family Moomintroll', but is brought vividly to life here with a palette of psychedelically bright colors. Every Moomin fan will enjoy this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars not the same book...., December 8, 2010
Jean Laukant (Villa Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I was very excited to see this book available; but wish I knew before ordering that it is a VERY different text than the one I have loved since I was a small child. That book was much more poetic and fun, with every page ending, "What do YOU think happened then?" This one still has the delightful and fun artwork, and the enticing cutouts from page to page, but the text is grossly modified and simply not as good as the original edition. I was hoping to share this with 'next generations', thinking that I could "read along without reading" (I still remember whole pages-worth of the original book!).
If you are not familiar with the original, this is still a delightful and unique book... but if you are hoping for the same text as in the book published by Ernest Benn Ltd., you will be disappointed, as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a crying shame..., February 16, 2003
Tanya Lamnin (West Bloomfield, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
...these books are not known in this country. I, for one, brought my Moomin book with me from the former Soviet Union, and I fully intend to indoctrinate my future children into the Moomin Religion (even if they will have to learn Russian just for that). Tove Jahsson (who passed away last year, sadly) created a wonderful world, full of adorable and memorable characters.
The Moomins are...well, G-d knows what they are. They are little hyppopotamus-looking cute things that walk on their hind legs, live in the picturesquee little valley (and in houses, of course), do all the things that humans do (or that humans do in children's imagination) and wear hats. Sometimes. In fact, there is even a story about a magic hat somewhere. But I digress.
Muumi-Troll, the protagonist, is your average kid. Or a teenager. He has a Muumi-Mother, and Muumi-Father, and two best friends: Sniff (who looks like a rat and is a terrible coward--but always manages to overcome it at the last possible moment) and Snusmumrik (who looks like a duck and is a Traveler). He has a love interest, Froeken (Miss) Snork (Snorks are similar to Moomins, except that their color changes together with their mood), who has an obnoxious brother, you guessed it, Snork. There are also Hemul, who, like all Hemulen, wears his aunt's old dress (don't ask), and the Muskrat (I think that's what it is). There are predicaments and dangers and wonerful adventures.
The Moomins are known--and beloved--in all of teh world, from their native Finland, to Russia to Japan. Hopefully, the States will come around at some point--and Harry Potter (no offense, I love HP) will tremble in his shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a children's book for an adult audience!, November 13, 1998
By A Customer
Having grown up in Scandinavia this was one of the first books I ever read, and I have read it many times since. It is a poetic wonderfully bizarre book, and when you read it along with the rest of Tove Jansson's books you realize that her magical world of mumins isn't really all that different from the one we live in. Best of all, Tove Jansson opens a window to the reader's soul in her writing, and you recognize yourself in her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my childhood treasures, February 21, 2002
Andrea Obana (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
For some reason, I had a copy of the original Finnish version. I couldn't read it, but I just LOVED the pictures! I still have fond memories of looking through the little cut-out holes from page to page; the hole on one side turns out to be an element on the next page! I remember it really had my imagination going -- since I couldn't understand the text, I got to make the story up as I went along. Moomin was a favorite among Japanese kids (I grew up there), so it was an extra treasure to have the original characters (bearing their original names) all beautifully illustrated in Tove Jansson's own hand.
Truly a must for any kid's library, or even an adult's! I just ordered one again for myself, having long lost the Finnish copy. There's something special about the use of cut-outs and the colors that makes it extra-wonderful for firing up any child's imagination, even if you can understand the text!

4.0 out of 5 stars new translation left me cold, March 26, 2007
NYer family (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Perhaps because we've read it so many times, I felt cheated when I picked up what turned out to be a new translation (so new that Amazon doesn't have it but a local children's bookshop did). Although prepared by a respected British poet, I missed the lyricism of the original and my children did to. I can barely bring myself to open our new copy (which I purchased as insurance in case anything happened to our beloved original). That being said, the cuts (by Schildts!) are there as well as the wonderful drawings and the whole surreal moomin world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My, November 20, 2010
This review is from: The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My (Hardcover)
This Moomin Book and I go back a long way. I have been a Tove Jansson fan since the early 1950's when I was first introduced to her books. This picture book is colorful and pleasing to eye, the art work clear and concise and imaginative. The storyline progresses through holes on each page. I have read the text in its original Swedish as well as the first English translation. This new edition retains the artwork and the individualzed lettering which describes each character. We follow the adventures of Moomintroll, Mymble and Little My as they meet other Moominland creatures. In this new 2001 translation by Sophie Hannah the language flows nicely without the occasional awkwardness of the old edition while still maintaining the whimsy so characteristic to Tove Jansson. As a teacher I have introduced Jansson books to countless American children and of course my children and grandchildren all have their own copies! I am delighted this book and others now are available at Amazon. P.K.Dyer

4.0 out of 5 stars A charming introduction to the characters of Moomin Valley, August 17, 1998
By A Customer
I discovered the Moomins in adulthood. They lack the saccharine, must-teach-a-lesson, dreariness of other childrens' books. With its many die-cut pages, this book is a sort of anti-pop-up book. It is artistic and charming and provides just a taste of the wackiness that goes on in Moomin Valley. My only quibble is that if truly meant for children (and perhaps it is not) the book's construction will lead to immediate destruction with the first sticky-fingered read.

5.0 out of 5 stars brings back memories-an interactive book, August 28, 2006
My aunt gave this book to our family about 45 years ago and I can vividly remember my father reading it to us. We all loved the interesting characters with definite traits, the page cut-outs allowing views into the next page, and the last line on most pages: "And what do you think happened then?" Curiosity piqued by the glimpse of the next page, I felt invited to answer the question, and really thought about what might happen.

Interesting vocabulary and fun story line, illustrations that stimulate creativity, engages the reader in a way that encourages thinking, and a happy ending--this book has it all.

I'm going to buy this new edition for my preschool science classrooms and young friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Tove and the Mumins, you will love this book!, October 20, 1998
By A Customer
I recently discovered Tove Jansson and the Mumintrollet series. I have fallen in love with her wonderful books and her amazing characters. This book is a great complement to any Mumintrollet library. It is colorful, fun to read outloud and beautifully illustrated. It prompts the child to keep reading to find out what happens next and it has a cute surprise at the end. A must have!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My
The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My by Tove Jansson (Hardcover - October 13, 2009)
$16.95 $12.64