Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Format: Audio CDChange

on April 19, 2011
DJ Quik ain't exactly a spring chicken anymore -- but that's a good thing. He's a veteran, a legend, and, as you can read from MY title, "The West Coast Prophet." (It makes me wonder how high 2pac would have flown....)

The beats are on another level. And I realize that everyone says that...but you can't really place this album. You can't say, "This sounds like '94" or "This sounds like 2000." And that, I believe, is a testament to Quik's staying power. (Or, in other words, good music should be JUST AS GOOD even if we placed it in a time capsule and opened it back up in a hundred years.)

The beats are immaculate, SILKY smooth, but also somewhat jarring (but only when it's absolutely necessary).

Lyrically, DJ Quik sounds as fresh and as clever as he did in '98 or 2005. (Seriously: check out Rhythm-Al-Ism and Trauma if you wanna know what we're talking about.) "Love of My Life" is not just good, it's beautiful (and not in any sort of "sissy" way). I also enjoy "Across the Map" and "Boogie Till You Conk Out" (with Ice Cube). But believe me: every other track is just as melodic, just as catchy, and most importantly, just as gangsta.

Dr. Dre is set to release "Detox" sometime in 2011.... But so what?! DJ Quik is all the West Coast really needs. (And I'm not hating on Dre: The Chronic 2001 is a fantastic collection of West Coast anthems.)

Long live the West Coast. Thanks for keepin' it real, Quik! (My man...!)

77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2011
The most under rated Hip Hop legend of all time has return with not only a classic Masterpiece, but His best ALBUM!!!!!!!EVER. There is not a weak track on the album. You can bump this CD from front to back.Track 1 kicks it off with "Fire and Brimstone" which the beat and lyrics is a perfect marriage. I can't stop listening to this album. When I'm alone my mind thinks of the beat and melodies off this album. One thing I've always notice with the Great DJ Quik is that his music is the BEST MIXED AND MUSICALLY SONGS I'VE EVER HEARD. This album's music is so crisp and clear. It's hard to pick a favorite, but one that stands out is track 12."Boogie Till You Conk Out" with Ice Cube. This track is a masterpiece and it's the first time Quik and Cube get on a track together. You MUST BUY THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on April 23, 2011
All I have to say is thank you DJ Quik. From the bottom of my heart this album is so clean that there isn't words that do it justice. Just...thank you Quik and please come out with one or two or three more before you hang up the mic and you better be producing for other people til the day you die. Masterpiece
on April 19, 2011
Quik brought tears to my eyes with this album, we don't get good music like this anymore.
Beat for beat, rhyme for rhyme the best album he's done.
Musically, I'm satisfied, I don't need to buy another this year. Because the standard has been set, who can top this? Nobody.

Sorry if my comment offends anyone.

Quik Forever!!!
on April 19, 2011
I can honestly say, this is the BEST album I've heard in 2011. From start to finish- Flawless production, great and clever lyrics, stellar guest appearances. It has everything. It's classic Quik westcoast grooves blended with modern hip hop that sounds so relevant.

Check out the the brilliant song in 'Do Today' a funky melodic beat that whisks you all the way to the 80's, but it still sounds so fresh. A great hook by Jon B and an impressive guest appearance by quik's old homie, Blackazz K (From 2nd II None).

The incredible horns on 'Killer Dope' the funky westcoast classic vibe in 'Nobody' which features Suga Free. One thing you will notice is that Quik has took his rapping skills to another level. He is sounding much better than before, the best since Safe + Sound.

The whole album is brilliant. This is West Coast music at it's absolute finest. Summertime grooves, great lyrics and hooks..what more could a person want? Dj Quik is the greatest producer in Hip Hop and this album is prolly his best imo....No kidding! Every song is great, but my absolute best are:

Fire And Brimstone
Do Today
Luv Of My Life
Real Woman
Across The Map
Boogie Till You Conk Out- a legendary collabo with Ice Cube. A very melodic and great song.
Flow For Sale- Which has one of the best intros I've ever heard.
So Compton- Old Skool G Funk. Brilliant
Time Stand Still
Quik's Groove 9- His best Quik's Groove since Safe + Sound.

5/5 a Masterpiece. I salute you Dj Quik.
on May 17, 2011
Dj Quik is back, but he really didn't go anywhere. Dj Quik is one of my favorite rappers, besides Eminem, and 2pac. Ice Cube is alright, I really like the song he did with Dj Quik on this album. I first heard Dj Quik when I was 10 when Balance and Options came out, and I'm 20 now, and I still think he's great. I really like his beats, and lyrics. I like that he's different from everybody else, he is his own, at least in my opinion. I don't listen to much mainstream rap, and hip hop, I prefer the underground, I personally think it's better. Hopefully Dj Quik doesn't go away, because he is one of the greats. There isn't many greats like there used to be. He is one of a few that are left. This album is amazing. The collaborations on this album are great. I couldn't ask for a better album. The Book of The David is one of my favorite albums of 2011. I like all the songs on this album, but here are my favorites:
1. Boogie Till You Conk Out (featuring Ice Cube)
2. Nobody (featuring Suga Free)
3. Flow for Sale (featuring Kurupt)
4. So Compton (featuring BlaKKazz K.K.)
5. Luv of My Life (featuring Gift Reynolds)
6. Babylon (featuring BlaKKazz K.K. & Bizzy Bone)
7. Real Women (featuring Jon B.)
8. Killer Dope
9. Ghetto Rendezvous
on January 16, 2012
I'm a little white chick that did my growing in the golden age of the nineties west coast rap revolution and this takes me back. Its as deep as any soul since the days of James Brown and Motown and MFSB and all of those artists. Quik and Snoop are my two favorite rappers of all time - so aware of their roots and yet progressive and innovative without limits! Be aware that the old school music is alive and well in albums like this one! Whenever my mojo batteries need a boost all I need to do is listen to a Quik jam. Its heavy! I'm feelin this!!!
on April 19, 2011
First of all thank God for making me alive to listen to this Album before I die

The creativity Quik has with Rob Bacon & G-One is genius,

Fire and brimestone Drum sample in the beginning is misleading, flips into a smooth track with a female sample thats eerie GREAT INTRO
So Compton (Those Guitar Riffs :) changes throughout the track
Ghetto Rendezvous (Damn Quik rips this)
Killer Dope :)
Luv of My life (He get his style from the city of compton, F*%K the doorbel he get the knockin' on something )
Quik Groove Hidden track WOW still consistent with the creativity of Quik grooves light a biddy and enjoy
Time stand still, damn so smooth dwele comes clean on this GUITAR RIFFS AGAIN AMAZING

Whole album is dope, ofcourse hes not gonna win a grammy or go platinum but he still makes beautiful music and dope lyrics.
Dre better not drop no POP DETOX...I want original music like this
on April 22, 2011
It's a new and fresh album but at the same time it feels like an old classic, like it's always been there; it has that classic DJ Quik sound to it with smart, funny, clever, gangster and very personal lyrics and I love it!

The whole album is great but some of my favorite tracks are...

Do Today
Luv of My Life
Killer Dope
Real Women
Nobody (DAMN! This track is so classic it hurts! Quik and Suga Free together, it's over!)
Flow For Sale
So Compton
The End? (If you like Quik's Grooves, keep listening after the initial song is over, trust me...)

I wont go into any more details about the album, if your a Quik fan and you know his music then you already know what it is, Quik doesn't disappoint with The Book of David. (Dre who? Oh yeah, he's STILL working on Detox, yeah right...)
on May 8, 2011
DJ Quik truly lives up to his given name: David Blake. King David. This CD is like the missing books of the Bible. DJ Quik reminds us that in everything we do we should have fun doing it, enjoy doing it and most of all love doing it. Just like King David, DJ Quik has a rare and true profound love for good music. I've listened to this CD everyday since I got it. He has something for everyone. What was truly amazing was his track called "The End?" with the legendary late guitarist Garry Shider of Parliament Funkadelic. He even has a nice quiet storm ballad on the CD called "Time Stand Still." DJ Quik you are truly "Rap's Maestro Extraordinaire."