Customer Discussions > Inheritance (Inheritance Cycle) forum

Book Discussion *SPOILERS*

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2011 11:25:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2011 11:27:30 PM PST
KAC says:
I noticed that no one had started a thread specifically for those that have finished Inheritance to actually discuss it freely without worrying about spoiling others yet so I decided to just go ahead and make one myself. Personally, I'm in that frustrating stage that I'm always in immediately after finishing a new book: unable to decide whether I love it or hate it which is only made more confusing because I tend to get quite melancholy when its the end of a series like this.

There's countless things I take issue with and that annoyed me with this book, but I DID really enjoy it regardless of not getting the exact ending I'd hoped for and being left with just as many questions as answers (I'll get into all of that later). How is everyone else feeling about the way that the cycle wrapped up? Did you love it? Hate it? Or are you still in bit of an undecided haze like myself? This is just a general discussion so feel free to rant or rave about anything you want good or bad and there's no need for any spoiler tags because like I said this is solely for those of us that are already finished (plus I've put a spoiler tag in the title). So... without further ado, let the fun begin!

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 12:53:48 AM PST
DerekB says:
Like most of us here more than likely I have read these books since I was in Junior High. I am 20 now and getting married in a few months. These books were a piece of my childhood and I LOVED the story more than any other book at the time.

I enjoyed the book during the story, was exciting, lots of action and mystery...Galbatorix was all I hoped him to be.

But.

Christopher failed me...and I HATE the ending of the book. And for that reason I will probably never read them again, he ruined the story for me and I am so bitter that he left Arya and Eragon apart that it has encompassed much of my thought since I finished the book. I read the entire thing on the 8th and throughout the day I could feel Arya and Eragon growing closer....feel the tension loosening and seeing their romance come together as it should. And then at the end it was all dashed and the Character I have LOVED since Jr. High was left without the only woman he had ever loved. I hate that Christopher Paolini did this to Eragon. Everything he went through...to lose it all, goodness gracious. I am still so upset.

I realize its a book, but Paolini really trashed the story in my opinion with the way he left all that underdeveloped and the way he just cut it all off. Eragon, as Angela prophesied will NEVER return to Alagaesia...if Arya does not find Eragon in the future I would be most upset and I would have lost all respect for Paolini. He really messed it up in my opinion, Eragon - did not deserve this.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 7:29:46 AM PST
The book was brilliant! It ended just at it needed too, Paolini was faithful to his characters. I'm sure he hated that they couldn't be together, but that something readers have a hard time understanding. Once you create the characters and world of a novel, you have to follow the rules set down within the world, including the desires, faults and personalities of the characters. The character's take on a life of their own. It is wrong of an author to force them to false ends. Eragon had to leave, it was always his fate, as was being separated from Arya, his royal love, and it wasn't just Angela's prophecy that made it so, but his development as a man. Paolini's writing has done nothing but improve since "Eragon," and this was his best. The characters became fully developed with greater depth and the story had inspiring emotional truth. The only thing I was left wanting to know is more about Angela and the weird girl with no name and scars up and down her arms, she and the others with her appeared in the "Brisingr" and "Inheritance" and had no explanation. On the one hand, it is certainly true, that in life there are mysteries we never solve, but it seems odd to mention this girl twice with no further development or important involvement in the story, but other, perhaps he's left himself openings for another novel, not centered on Eragon. Its implied that Arya will visit Eragon, they have perhaps hundreds of years in which to get together. It isn't in Arya to rush their relationship or welch on her responsibilities, so it makes perfect sense for them to wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 11:12:46 AM PST
I can add nothing more to what Derek Brite has said. This is exactly how I feel. I am so upset! I am sorry but I will never be able to read another one of Paolini's books. It was all for nothing. Poor Eragon.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 12:56:51 PM PST
A. Helland says:
Although i didn't like how he ended the relationship between Arya and Eragon, it is what it is. But I do think he should have touched up on Nasuada. It was mentioned several times that she considered a marriage of some sort and desired children but this wasn't even mentioned @ the end. There were several other things that weren't explained as other people have mentioned like the belt and stuff. Just the whole ending felt rushed and incomplete.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 1:33:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2011 1:37:07 PM PST
DerekB says:
I understand what your saying Laura, but CP completely went against Arya's character by selling her out to rule the elves. Do you remember how adamant she was towards Eragon that she was NOT a princess? She did not like being in her homeland because of the way the elves lived there lives. Throughout the whole Cycle she tells on more than one occasion that she was meant to be with the Varden and being in Du Weldenvarden would not be her choice. How could Chris go against the entire character Arya had become?

Needless to say I'm still upset and I continue to think about what Chris has done, but it has to be noted that he must return to Alagaesia sooner or later. Many fans will not be happy with the way this has ended.

Another fact that left me upset, is why did he make Aren's power out to be so great, when all it was used for was literally one page in the book, to move rock to clear Dras Leonas gate? Just a lack of thought in my opinion. If I remember right the power residing inside was great enough to move a mountain? Not some stone wrought gate.

Another couple holes I was upset with.
-Who were the two travelers with Angela, from Brisingr? The swordsman with scars on her arms?
-What did the Menoa tree take from Eragon?
-Angela? Who the heck is she? CP stated that she wouldn't be as good of a character if he explained her to much, but the problem is...he didn't explain her...at all...

With all the things left open there has to be another book. But what I hope CP remembers is that his fans don't just love the land of Alagaesia..we love the Characters inside of it. And if justice isn't done for all the hard work he put them through, then CP is quite twisted. The book has holes, leaving it open for another book...but who wants to wait another 3 years, just to be let down by his lack of attention to the own details and facts he laid out for himself inside of Alagaesia.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 5:04:10 PM PST
In regards to Arya, I think becoming a rider changed her and the war probably changed the elves as well, so maybe being queen was less distasteful to her.
I agree with you about the woman from Brisingr and she was in the battle in Uru'baen too, Roran saw her. Why would he do that if she and her companions weren't important? When Galbatorix brought out the children, I though they would be connected to the woman with scars, like maybe they were children of his concubines or something.
I would love to see another book from CP, I think he's come a long way since Eragon. He did start writing pretty young, (most of the stuff I tried to write at that age was pretty terrible.)

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 8:10:44 PM PST
Mike B says:
IMHO Terrible book with some decent parts thrown in. I am done reading CP after this let down.

The inheritance cycle was decent(even tho he stole A LOT from other series) till this last installment. Pushing unneeded plot lines on us then just finishing them the weakest and most paltry ways possible. Then just leaving other plot lines unfinished. Then we get to the end, where the climax happens 3/4 of the way through the book and the rest of the book is a rush to tie up loose ends.

And here I thought the movie was the low point in this franchise.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 10:52:01 PM PST
Bill says:
I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this book, after having read the rest of the series over the years. I don't think I have ever been more disappointed with a series finale than this, unfortunately. The other posts in this discussion as well as the reviews of the book are not exaggerating with their criticisms. I am hoping that a fan of the series with a knack for writing can create their own version of inheritance, fixing the problems, and extending the series. (Fan Fiction) Hopefully this could replace that empty feeling that came after reading this.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 11:02:56 AM PST
I was... disappointed to say the least. I read this at 14 (in 2003) and met CP shortly afterwards. I have reread the first three books several times, including just this last week so that everything would be fresh as I was going through Inheritance. Mostly I agree with what other people have been writing. I came here because my friends are not finished reading yet and I had to vent somewhere! I will say that I did not dislike the book until the last 50 or pages when it become clear that I would not get the epic ending that I expected. Romance? WHAT ROMANCE? I do not consider one person being in love with another a *romance* and without any fruition to the buildup of three books I am severely disappointed. One thing to have Eragon leave to train the riders... another entirely to have Eragon and Arya leave *together* to go train up the next generation of riders. With that simple change I feel that Eragon leaving to establish the new riders would have been an at least semi-decent ending. Very frustrated that Eragon and Arya do not end up together.

I wish that the feelings between Murtagh and Nasuada could have been played out more. I was hoping to see Murtagh stay and help Nasuada with the Empire and for them to end up together. If his feelings were powerful enough for him to change his nature... shouldn't we have seen more from them?

I feel like so much of his series is very very predictable, but that's never been something I've disliked. I knew the Rock of Kuthian would contain Eldunari and eggs as soon as they were mentioned (even Glaedr couldn't throw me off my beliefs) and that he would have to say his true name in order to get in. As soon as we had the memory from Valdr (? the oldest eldunari?) about the young birds in a nest, I applied it to Galbatorix and thought something along those lines would come up with him. So why then does he decide to stop being predictable and give nothing to his fans who have been waiting for this ending? I'll admit that I did not see Eragon leaving. My turning point form the book would have been when Arya and Eragon meet up and their dragons hit it off. How was that not the perfect set up for them to finally get together?

Overall... I would still highly recommend this series to anyone who loves fantasy. But sadly, with the ending of this book, it no longer has the place it once did in my heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 11:22:09 AM PST
Josiah says:
Actually, Aren's power was never fully explained. It was Oromis' sword that could move a mountain.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 11:25:08 AM PST
Josiah says:
As for the book, I am surprised that most people seemed very disappointed in it. I loved it, and it met pretty much all my expectations. I'm not going to write my review all over again, but aside from a few flaws, the book is a defendable and justifiable ending to this series in my opinion.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 5:00:21 PM PST
E. Zaleski says:
I'm just disappointed in all the plot holes and loose ends. It feels like there should be another book coming out after this one. Some of the major things that bothered me:
1.) The lack of flow with the plots of the other books. Throughout the first three, I really felt like it was one continuous storyline, but this one felt really disjointed. Maybe because the writing style was slightly different, but it didn't feel like it belonged.

2.) Who the heck is the woman with the scars on her wrists and her teenage daughter? She apparently has a huge role in shaping the land but she does nothing but save Roran. Is that suppposed to be her shining moment?

3.) Eragon ends up alone. Come on now, I was hoping that if Chris put Katrina and Roran together than Eragon should at least have someone and not be forever alone. Actually, I was hoping the aforementioned teenage girl would be the new Rider and then she and Eragon would fall in love and then everything would be lovely. But no.

4.) I for one never saw the whole Murtagh/Nasuada thing coming and it completely blindsided me. It seemed like it was just something Chris decided to throw in on a whim. It wouldve been better had he inserted some Murtagh/Nasuada moments in the other books.

5.)Firnen/Arya. TOOOOOOO predictable. And we don't get any character development at all on Firnen. We could use an entire book from Arya's POV describing her own ordeals after Firnen hatches for her.

6.) Did anyone else think trying to make Galbatorix feel the pain he caused was like Harry trying to make Voldemort feel remorse?

7.) Saphira/Firnen. wtf was that. Was it love at first sight? Because it didn't fit. At. All.

8.) Like most people I wanted Roran to grow a bit. He's kind of grown flat in this novel just a half crazed killing machine with a large amount of luck on his side.

9.) I felt that the fight into Urbaen should have been better described. Usually with Chris' writings I have no problem envisioning the setting but this one was so poorly detailed it was ridiculous.

10.) Orrin made me sad. He was so funny before.

11.) EPIC DRAGON BATTLE. Aaaaaand it didn't happen. Of course. Shruikan's just fine chilling, looking menacing, whatever.

12.) Did I mention that I really really really wanted Eragon to find someone to be with? Because I also wanted him to have a kid of his own. Maybe that would have made the ending better. Eragon, making the hardest decision of his life to leave his kid and wife to train the new Riders, recognizing that that was more important than his own family. I would have cried.

13.) The Menoa Tree. What the heck did she take? Hmmm I have an idea for a fanfic here. Eragon meets the love of his life in the teenage girl. She becomes a Rider. They try to take on Urubaen and they win, but at the cost of the other young dragon. Eragon helps the love of his life get over losing her dragon. They get married and want to have kids, but Eragon discovers that the Menoa tree took from him the ability to father children. Angst ensues. Hmmmmmmmm......

Too many loose ends, too few explanations. I wash my hands of this book

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 6:31:49 PM PST
I concur with most of those people who were disappointed but I had a thought about the Menoa Tree.
I dislike the ending with the red hot passion of a thousand suns but.... What if the Menoa Tree took Arya from Eragon way back in Brisingr, or rather if the Menoa Tree took his entire happy ending in general? No friends, no family, no love, and he had to start over.

As to the other plot holes I haven't a clue.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 9:03:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 9:03:56 PM PST
Josiah says:
Interesting, Erica. Maybe that's why she said "Go", as in "Leave this Land, and never return to the life you might have had."

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 9:09:44 PM PST
Douglas Rau says:
I can't shake the feeling that the real reason the Menoa Tree didn't take anything from Eragon was that CP was just plain out of ideas and realizing that his book was going on close to 900 pages. And Arya and Eragon not ending up together was just cruel. I get that he didn't want to do the predictable thing (as has probably been one of his most constant criticisms) but there's something to be said for giving your fans the ending they want. If he could alter Murtagh and Thorn's characters to serve his purpose, I don't see why he couldn't find a way for Eragon and Arya to be together.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 10:11:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 10:12:44 PM PST
Special says:
I don't think the Menoa Tree was a plothole. It seems that she got what she wanted already. Which was for him to "Go". She told him to "take it and go" in Brisingr.. and repeated "go" a few times. Eragon and the rest of us I'm sure assumed she meant get the heck away from my tree. In Inheritance she laughs with amusement and says "Go" after he asks her what she had wanted. I think she was actually answering him. Reread her passages again. Maybe you'll feel the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 5:17:44 AM PST
me says:
I definitely thought of Voldemort as soon that happened. Borrowing ideas is okay, but at least make it more your own. And I really like your idea that the girl could have been the rider. That would have been an interesting twist.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 1:37:01 PM PST
Ofir says:
I hated this book, mainly the end.
Just about the only reason I was looking forward to it was finding out more about Angela. She's the most mysterious and interesting character in the series and CP promised she'd play a huge role in this book. What do we get? That she has a shiny sword called tinkle death. THAT'S IT. I found that unbelievably annoying. As I neared the finale I kept on waiting for the moment when all would be revealed so I was super happy when dragon started talking to her before he left. But nothing new is said during the conversation then they never see each other again. this made me hate the rest of the book.
In the other books I respected Roran for his great love for Kartina but here he just goes and kills people without caring in any way. I didn't care about how, yet again, he found some fantastic new solution to the problem that barely made sense to the reader. And his POv barely mentioned Katrina.
Aria and the green dragon was so unbelievably predictable. It was incredibly frustrating that the passionate romance was: maybe we can get together in a hundred years, oh no, we can't, you have to train the dragons so it totally makes sense for you to leave everything behind and go t the middle of nowhere. I have a dragon but of course i can't visit, that would lower the melodrama! how evil! Well bye now.
And and I agree, the Galbratorix scene was spot on the the Voldemort remorse scene. And there wasn't anything leading up to that, the method of death was completely random. Also it was so anticlimactic.
Maybe I have skewed expectations and this certainly wasn't my biggest problem with the book, but I expected Nasuada to turn the land into a democracy. It seems like the galbatorix problems will resume as soon as she dies and her kid turns power hungry.
Nothing was ever done about how glaedr insulted solembum, which was dissapointing and one of the many plot gaps here.
Good series, disastrous finale.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 4:00:25 PM PST
L. Herbas says:
the book was great and everything. a wee bit boring at some parts. but what i mostly loved about the series was the romance between both riders. it kept me reading book after book as the possibility of them being together in the end grew bigger and bigger. and as everyone has mentioned, how the gap between them began to close.
I was so happy all the way through until Eragon discovered she was the new elf queen........then did i realize, their love was doomed.... ugh. it broke my heart in two... ):

Paolini cant end it like that, he has to be playing a trick on us. maybe he will surprise us with something else.....that would be a miracle

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 9:28:47 AM PST
Rajwant Kaur says:
Hated the ending, hopefully he will make a another book and fill in all the loose holes, he did state at the end he wouldn't be leaving Alagasia. Soooooooo there is hope.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 10:56:40 AM PST
Douglas Rau says:
After that horrible ending, I don't think I would buy another book of his. I would have to think long and hard before I give the young douche any more of my money. I feel betrayed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 4:56:16 PM PST
Madi says:
i feel the same way!!!!!

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 7:29:30 PM PST
J. Batchelor says:
I would have almost prefered for him to delay the ending for yet another book. Most of the interesting plots didn't have a good solid conclusion. Orrin's Change of character was useless. The only thing accomplished with that was to have some sort of internal strife inside the varden. I found myself more interested in Rorans adventure more so than Eragons at times. And what was with Eragon all of a sudden eating meat again? That was pretty random. Murtagh and Nasuada should have had more time I was really rooting for those two. Really, the last 100 pages was CP burning through everything he wanted to finish to meet a deadline. It's too bad, I really enjoyed this series up until the last 100 pages

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 7:29:49 PM PST
@4

He did. near the end of the first one.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  38
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Inheritance (Inheritance Cycle)
Inheritance (Inheritance Cycle) by Christopher Paolini (Hardcover - November 8, 2011)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (2,714)