Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Book of Little Hostas: 200 Small, Very Small, and Mini Varieties
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 18, 2011
I'm a self described hosta addict and I have decided to create a garden with a collection of mini hostas so I thought this book would be a good buy. It covers the basics and not too much else. The pictures are nice but not very inspiring which is what I was hoping for. My biggest complaint is that the descriptions of the hostas don't actually identify whether they are classified as small, very small or mini - you just know it has to be one of the three or it wouldn't be listed in the book.
on December 6, 2011
Unsure if the other reviewers actually even looked at the text and pictures. This book is poorly organized, and unfortunately not even that useful as an encyclopedia.

I am a landscape architect. From a design standpoint, organizing hostas into categories like "Little Hostas as edging plants" and "Hostas suitable for raised beds" is utter nonsense. It would have been much more educational and useful to categorize by color or SIZE, which is supposed to be the basic premise of this book.

Usually Timber Press offers the best books for the horticulture industry, but I'm glad I checked this one out at the library before purchasing.
on March 4, 2011
Personally I do not like reviews that are shallow and say nothing. I agree this book is well published, colorful, with a lot of good photographs. This is almost all. When I got this book a few weeks ago I was also delighted seeing such a nice book. When I started reading it I found that it is messy and descriptions of hostas are everywhere. I do not see a reason to divide hostas as those that are suitable for raised beds, separate for woodland, separate for container, separate for window boxes, etc, etc. And everything is hidden in a chapter entitled "Creating a place for little hostas". There are no special hostas for containers that cannot be planted in raised beds or woodland. Majority of hostas are from woodland edges and majority of hostas require similar planting conditions. Where we plant them is completely irrelevant.

I expected to get a well organized book, where plants will be organized by specific criteria - for example size (width or height), or color, or anything that will help us to find the plant that we are looking for, a plant that we have seen somewhere in the park and we have no idea what is its name. However, a separate book on small hostas makes a lot of sense and I hope that second edition of this book will be better organized.
on May 27, 2011
Nice small book that is easy to handle. The title says it all. The author covers pretty well everything a gardener needs to know: which cultivars to choose, how to use them effectively,how to group them, and care for them regarding diseases and pests. There are many color plates of individual hostas and groupings. Companion plantings are addressed as well.
on July 29, 2014
A great reference for little Hosta . Lots of pictures. I had my book signed by the authors- Kathy Guest and Mike Shadrack since they live in my town. The authors are wonderful people who love to talk with other gardeners. And their home property, Smug Creek is surrounded by hundreds of Hosta that definitely shows their love of these wonderful "Friendship" plants (as Mike calls them because they are meant to be divided and shared with friends)
on April 27, 2014
Clear pictures and this book has WONDERFUL
Descriptions and full help guides. Page after page
Not just about Mini's I have lots of Hosta books
These help guides the authors write are
A must have. To grow better and MORE importantly
Help make your expensive collection LAST
Hosta La Vista.
on November 29, 2013
It is very informative about the culture of hostas in general, and the "littles" specifically. I am a big fan of mini hostas, and this book alerted me to some of their special needs. A great little book!
on August 7, 2015
This is a great book to look at pictures of little hostas. It also gives good information on growing and caring for them in different planting settings. If you're just getting started with hostas or you are a seasoned gardener, this is a fun book to have around.
on July 11, 2014
What can I say? Diana Grenfell presents a beautiful book and color photos on Miniature Hostas....I highly recommend this book and her book The New Encyclopedia of Hostas, to any Hosta enthusiast that plans shade gardens or sunny location Hostas. 1st rate!!!!!!!! Namaste
on July 2, 2014
This book has great information on little hostas. Ideas for displaying and information on taking care of them; special conditions, how to ect.
I would definitly recommend it to all.