5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, works perfectly with iMac
Published 23 months ago by GoGirlGo

1.0 out of 5 stars Mounting problems
Published 17 months ago by G. Steirer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, works perfectly with iMac, December 28, 2012
This review is from: WD My Book Studio 2TB Mac External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 (Personal Computers)
I received this product yesterday and am very impressed with it. The outward appearance of sleek silver matches my new iMac perfectly. In fact, my smartalecy (ok, there's no such word) husband put an apple sticker on it, and it actually looks like an apple product. Very easy to hookup with a power AC cord and a USB cord. I plugged it in, and iMac immediately asked me if I wanted to use it for backup, which I did. It utilized USB 3.0 which is super fast, and I have a huge amount of files to back up, which it did nicely.

2 Terabytes is plenty of space. I agree with another reviewer that this is indeed a great backup drive for Mac users. Quiet and Fast, you can't go wrong. My only issue is it's a bit pricey and it would be nice to see the price come down somewhat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Well Built, and It Just Works, November 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 2:42 Mins

This Western Digital drive is built for Mac users right down to its aluminum casing. The metal shell gives this product a heftier feel over Western Digital's other My Book products that are usually made with flimsier plastic cases. It will make full use of the USB 3.0 ports found on newer Macs but will still function on older Macs that have slower USB 2.0 connections.

On my Macbook Pro with Retina Display, the My Book delivered read and write speeds of about 150 megabytes per second using a video performance test from Black Magic Design. This is on par with a similar Thunderbolt-based drive I tested from Seagate last month. It's certainly more than adequate for most desktop computer tasks and will make for an excellent Time Machine backup drive.

If you're using this as a backup drive I'd suggest buying two. The reason being is that it's always a good practice to have your important data stored off site in addition to an onsite backup. Mac OS X supports multiple Time Machine drives making it very easy to maintain a good offsite backup strategy.

Other than that this is a very simple hard drive that just plain works. No need to install any software or configure it. Plug it in and it's ready to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy as pie. Getting one for my mother, too!, January 1, 2013
Shopsmith (Redwood City) - See all my reviews
Yes, we should all back up our home computers and few of us do. My IT guy (also known as my husband) has big aspirations in that department, and we have multiple computers intended to serve as backup servers in our home. But that just doesn't work for me. At the end of the day, that's just too much for me to keep up with as he changes things and moves things around. I just want an external drive that's there to back up my stuff if my Mac bites the dust, or for when I upgrade my Mac and quickly want to access files from "the past". And, lemmetellyou, this is the ticket.

I plugged it into the wall, and into the computer. I went to my Mac settings and opened Time Machine, and maybe had to click two or three simple, clear setup questions, and it just started rolling on all on its own. I easily enabled automated backups and password protection of backups and settings. I really liked how simple it was to set up. No need to be an expert.

Once set up, it started to count down 120 seconds to its first back up. I kept using my computer (web browsing and email mostly), and didn't notice any deterioration of performance once the back up started (might have been different if I'd been doing a lot of graphics or media work). An hour later, I was all backed up. A quick glance at time machine shows me when my next backup will start. A real cakewalk.

In fact, it's so easy, I've decided to get one for my mother (who's still learning how to use a thumb drive effectively, just to give you a sense of technical expertise required). While it's true I'll set it up for her, not have her try to set it up on her own, I'm confident that once it is up, she'll never have to worry about it.

PROS:
- Anyone can use this. It's very easy: just plug it in and open Time Machine.
- Mac-ready. No time wasted reformatting the drive for your Mac.
- Quiet.
- Password protect your backups - set up for that is also super easy.
- Elegant looking (for what it's worth, it sits behind my Mac, so I don't see it, for the most part. There is a little bit of the base visibly peeking out from below my screen - but it's not noticeable since the stainless finish matches the Mac exactly.
- Stays cool - possibly helped by the well ventilated larger format. FULL DISCLOSURE: I like larger format drives since I had a seagate portable that melted down in an Epic Fail years ago. I lost everything. Since then I neither trust Seagate (superstition on my part) nor small format external drives (IMHO, logically defensible position). I know all drives fail eventually, but I have more confidence in a drive that has an appropriate amount of space to actually ventilate and cool the hardware inside than one that doesn't.
- I also like (in the context of getting one for my mother) that it doesn't have Seagate's social media account backup. Just one more thing to get confused by. That being said, some people might consider that a con.

CONS:
- You pay a Mac Premium. If you more DYI than me, you can probably save $40 buying the non-Mac version. For me, it was worth the peace of mind to know I wouldn't hit any road blocks in the set up. (Of course, you're still saving $150 to $200 over Apple's own back up hardware...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy if you don't have one of these ...., January 13, 2013
A friend of mine is a pro photographer..For him to loose any of his mega thousands of pix would be total loss of income foe him..
He has used WD products for years with no problems...(and, full tech support if needed)
So, with his endorsement, I bought one for myself...
Plugged it in to my iMac and that was it..no formatting , it just sits there and does its thing...
Very comforting knowing everything is backed up,including the computer format, should it crash and burn....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive for Mac Users, November 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the third Western Digital external hard drive that I have owned over the last few years (the first two were for windows based PCs). This drive is designed inside and out for the Mac platform. The external case is "apple aluminum" instead of the traditional glossy black WD normally uses. It also comes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for OSX. So, for a mac user, it's rather simple to setup and start using. Just plug in the power cord and connect the USB cable and it's ready to use.

Opening the drive for the first time, you will find that it comes with a "WD apps" dmg file which when opened has two programs: WD Drive Utilities and WD Security. There is also an extras folder as with the manuals (in about 20 different languages) and something called "WD + Turbo installer" The description says they are performance based turbo drivers (both 1394 and USB - 32 and 64 bit). I installed the USB 64 bit, but cannot tell any difference so far. The manual has no specifics on what exactly it is supposed to do other than to say it will create an "enhanced performance" drive.

WD Drive Utilities Has "Diagnostics", "Sleep timer", "Drive Erase" and "Registration". All I think are self-explanatory. Sleep timer is probably the most useful as it will allow you to control when the drive power downs when not in use. For an external drive, I think this is a very important feature as it will prolong the life of the drive and also save energy.

WD Security gives you the option of both password protection and hardware encryption on the drive. Setup is simple just follow the steps and set a password.

It runs quiet and cool. I have had it plugged in and running for a few hours now moving some files back and forth to test its speed and performance. My mac mini is USB 2.0 only, so I cannot really give a report for the USB 3.0 speed.

The aluminum case is really sharp, it almost matches the color of my mac mini. It's not a perfect match, but close enough to look good next to it. Overall, this is a great product for mac users.

As a side note: this drive can be formatted for use with Windows as well. The user just has to reformat it with FAT or NTFS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mounting problems, June 4, 2013
G. Steirer (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I've had the 4TB hard drive for slightly less than six months, during which I've used it for my iTunes library. First four months, no problem. During month 5, however, it began constantly ejecting itself--sometimes in the middle of use! To get it to re-mount, I need to disconnect and then reconnect the power cord (disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable has no effect).

Apparently, this is not an uncommon problem with the My Book Studio drives (do a search for: My Book Studio keeps unmounting). Wish I'd known before I bought it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Hard Drive for Music, Files and More, February 14, 2013
I could've easily bought a less-expensive external HD, but this one caught my eye. I bought it to go along with my new iMac 27", and the finish is identical, which makes everything look sleek and integrated. 4TB is such a nice luxury to have! A tip for anyone out there looking to use this HD for files, music, etc AND TimeMachine backup: Make sure to go into Mac Disk Utility and create two partitions; one for TimeMachine, and the other for the rest of your files. This will ensure that TimeMachine doesn't capitalize all your HD space, and will instead be corralled into the size you specified. Since my iMac 27" has a 1TB HD, I set aside 1TB on the My Book Studio, and there is 3TB left over for tons of other stuff. This drive is whisper quiet, and I would've given it five stars if it weren't for the insanely bright LED on the front. It's perfectly fine when in steady use, but when the iMac goes into sleep mode, the LED blinks so brightly, that it looks like a beacon in a dimly lit or dark room.

4.0 out of 5 stars My book studio 3 tb external hd is for perfect large files, April 30, 2013
I haven't seen any cheap SSD drives with this much space, so I purchased the my book studio 3tb. It is fast enough for backing up files.

I NEVER use back-up software like time machine etc for external drives. Anytime I read about problems with external drives, seems to be related to back up software that was installed. I just reformat the drive and drag and drop files on it.

It looks like a silver book that is sitting up, with black pages. It is not too big and isn't noisy. There is a little hole on the bottom front, where the blue light shines through, when the drive is on.

I don't see any switch to turn it off. I have to eject it from the desktop and pull out the power plug, from the back. It comes with a USB 3.0 cable too.

edit: May 1, 2013, I do notice the fan noise now, I didn't notice it before. I guess when the weather got warmer, so did the Hard Drive? The fan noise isn't very loud, but it is noticeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent External Hard Drive !!!, March 7, 2013
Robert Smith (Highland,Michigan) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Western Digital 3 TB My Book Studio external hard drive to use with my new Apple iMac 27" "all in one" desktop computer.Set up took minutes,and the hard drive has been performing fast,quiet,cool and flawlessly.I paid a premium price for the case of the hard drive being metal (polished aluminum),which matches the Apple iMac.It is very well constructed,far superior over plastic cases that are on other external hard drives.I prefer the desktop version of a hard drive,which is somewhat larger than the portable hard drives available.I feel the extra internal space will provide additional cooling vs. the compact models.Cooler operation improves longevity of any electronic device.Hook up with the time machine on my Apple iMac was a breeze.It is now backing up my data quietly and perfect.I had also learned after research that Apple installs Western Digital and Seagate Barracuda internal hard drives into their computers.If that is good enough for Apple,it certainly meets my standards for quality in an external hard drive for my iMac.And the USB 3.0 port speed is fast and efficient for data transfer.I am a happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hard drive for Mac, January 29, 2013
EllbeeMD "ellbee" (Riverdale Park, MD) - See all my reviews
This is the 3rd My Book hard drive, and like all the others, it installed in a flash, was ready to go immediately, and has worked flawlessly since my purchase (as have the other 2). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend WD's My Book series of drives, and I'd by another one without hesitation.

WD My Book Studio 2TB Mac External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0