Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2009 8:11:00 PM PDT
Silverstorm says:
What did you think of it?

A few of my opinions:
- I'm glad Chiron lived.
- What happened to Rachel was kind of abrupt: she just suddenly starts having weird visions for no reason, and in a few days she's the new Oracle.
- There wasn't much of a climax, and Percy never really fought Kronos.

Posted on May 8, 2009 9:32:09 AM PDT
Cory says:
I disagree. percy did fight kronos. The prophecy's meaning was not what we were originally led to believe. he had a part to play in it, he just provided the means for luke to do what only he could do, and defeat kronos by force of will.

I thought it was strange that they offered percy to become a god. I was glad he didnt accept, because it was unfair to annabeth in my opinion that they would offer it to him and not her.

Posted on May 8, 2009 3:05:53 PM PDT
Silverstorm says:
An opinion I forgot to put in:

I hated the whole "river Styx" thing. Percy being invulnerable made the battle scenes boring. And it was a bit too convenient that when someone tried to stab him in his one vulnerable area, Annabeth jumped in front of him. And she lived, too.

Posted on May 9, 2009 1:44:11 PM PDT
Cory says:
I understand why percy did it. he had been led to believe it was he alone who would defeat kronos. In the end, luke was the one who defeated kronos, but percy had to make the choice to put the sword in luke's hand.

Posted on May 10, 2009 10:36:48 AM PDT
Seastorm says:
Like the concluding book to many series, this was by no means the best book. I feel Riordan was too focused on getting through the plot and less of the classic humorous moments that filled books 1-4 were present. It is a good book, and I am glad that I read it. Riordan did everything he had to in order to close the series, but this book does not measure up to the previous books. In fairness though, while I read the book, I kept thinking about how this was the last one, and how it had to end perfectly. That definitely got in the way of the story.

Posted on May 10, 2009 1:27:00 PM PDT
Cory says:
I was slightly put off by the fact that it was 400 pages of battle scenes myself, but the ending caught me off guard. to be honest, I was kinda disarmed by it at first. I wanted to know how percy was going to fulfil the prophecy, and when rachel told percy he was not the hero, I was like "what? all that buildup for nothing?"

I felt the climactic point where kronos is defeated rang true, and said something meaningful.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2009 6:12:34 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
This is a really good discussion and some great thoughts are posted. I agree with Cory about Percy. It was all about choice. I loved the fact that Percy went the Achilles route but found out he wasn't the one to save the day. Instead he had to yield in order to allow Luke to redeem himself. Maybe the author didn't want to do the same thing Rowling did with the Harry and Voldemort fight (and thus be compared to Rowling). Also, he kept alluding to Hercules throughout. Remember how Hercules (in the Disney one) gave up being a god in order to stay with the woman he loved? It's interesting that Percy did the same thing.

Posted on May 12, 2009 9:45:53 PM PDT
Silverstorm says:
It appears I didn't communicate my ideas clearly.

Re: River Styx
I didn't think it was stupid for Percy to do it, I just thought it was a stupid plot device. The idea of a battle scene is that the hero is in danger, and an invulnerable hero makes it boring. Or Percy could have at least thought more about the risks, and treated it like a more serious decision, spent more time deciding whether to do it.

Re: Percy not being hero
I agree with Cory. It was an interesting twist, as well as a nice touch, to have the bad guy redeem himself and be the hero in the end. I just didn't like how the whole series seemed to be building up to an epic Percy vs. Kronos battle that never happened.

Oh, and in case you're wondering about my name, I usually only post on the Warriors forum, so it's a Warriors name. Maybe, now that I post here as well, I'll change it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 7:34:36 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
Whitepelt
I was wondering about the name. :-)
Yes, I agree that the series seemed to be building to that battle. But in a way, Percy did battle Kronos, just not in the way that he thought he would. And he defeated Kronos with the best weapon at his disposal--Luke--by yielding. This, of course, leaves the door open to a future battle with Kronos in another series, probably.

Posted on May 13, 2009 6:46:49 PM PDT
Cory says:
dont forget the prophacy at the end of the book.

Posted on May 21, 2009 2:30:03 PM PDT
Sorry to change the subject but...
Does anyone think that Rick Riordan will write another series with a different half-blood who would be in the prophecy that was at the end of this book (The Last Olymian)? And does anyone know why he named the book that? (Yes, I read the book)

Posted on May 21, 2009 2:30:37 PM PDT
Sorry to change the subject but...
Does anyone think that Rick Riordan will write another series with a different half-blood who would be in the prophecy that was at the end of this book (The Last Olymian)? And does anyone know why he named the book that? (Yes, I read the book)

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 2:48:59 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
Hestia, the goddess of the hearth said that she was the last olympian. Because of her advice (she knew when to yield), Percy was able to yield to Luke.
Although I like Percy, it might be fun to see a new half-blood in the lead--perhaps a girl.

Posted on May 22, 2009 1:01:35 PM PDT
Brian Hannum says:
I'm so mad!!! and Sad!!!! but he cannot just end the series it is to good for that and why did he throw the prophecy in there and put a new ( not the same as percy) half-blood in there. To me it's just stupid because his fans love and i mean LOVE percy. To end there would make the readers sad and if it's percy son or daughter that to me would be super weird. I'm sorry if i made anybody mad or hurt in reading this but it's so true. We need to get a petetion and have all the fans e-mail it to him!! or something but percy cannot die or fade away like an unwanted toy!!!

Sincerly
Dazie( daughter of Brian .H, Hence the screen name)

Posted on May 22, 2009 1:07:47 PM PDT
Brian Hannum says:
what i though about the book, besides the other post was
* he tried to jam to much in and didn't take time to build a climax or fear for the reader
* it went way to fast and didn't go deep, the readers would have enjoyed another book and Rick could have made things clearer and so the things could take time to sink in.
* the prophecy was weird and percy missed out on the action everything was done by somebody else, Luke, Clarssie, and even Nico.
* The battles were short and Percy did some
* etc etc ( needs to make more books about Percy)

Dazie

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2009 1:19:36 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
I would hate for the series to jump ahead several years and involve an offspring of Percy. :) I would rather see Percy as the lead again. But I wouldn't mind a series with Thalia in the lead as well.

Posted on May 22, 2009 3:10:55 PM PDT
I think that he did an excelent job of summing up the story in "The Last Olympian." I thought that the battles were just the right length. If they were any longer they would have seemed to long. I also see why he put the prophecy in there. It would totally set up the next (If there is any) half-blood. As much as I hate to see Percy go I wouldn't mind a new half-blood. I just hope it's a girl. :-)

Posted on May 27, 2009 8:34:14 PM PDT
So, is Percy still invulnerable? Will he be invulnerable for the rest of his life or did I miss something.

Posted on May 28, 2009 5:35:18 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
Kathleen
I wondered about that too, whether he still has his Achilles heel (or back in his case).

Posted on May 31, 2009 4:57:52 PM PDT
Cory says:
didnt he have a vision of his death as a old man?

I only read the last book once. once my mom finally gets down with the books *she is on book 3 at the moment*, I am going to reread the books straight through. I might be mistaken, but I swear someone gave him a vision of his future.

Posted on Jun 3, 2009 7:38:38 PM PDT
I thought the percy jackson series was excellent! I hope that the camp half-blood series doesn't end there.

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 7:21:17 PM PDT
Cory says:
I keep thinking of dusting out the outlines for a fantasy series I kicked about with 2002-2003. I am all of a sudden getting back into fantasy and am considering giving a few of my ideas a go.

Posted on Jun 5, 2009 5:52:57 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
Cory
I say go for it!

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 2:19:35 PM PDT
guy says:
Read the Grief Share discussion. Rick says he is making a new Camp Half Blood series in 2010. He says some characters from the first series will be in it, but they won't be the stars. I think Percy will have an offspring, along with WriterGal.

Posted on Jul 24, 2009 10:39:50 PM PDT
Mimosa** says:
I have too admit that I'm not too thrilled about having new half-bloods as the stars of future Camp-Half Blood books.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  May 7, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Percy Jackson and the last olympian
Percy Jackson and the last olympian by Rick Riordan (Paperback - March 4, 2010)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (1,823)