5.0 out of 5 stars Looking at Books from All Angles - a Real Treat!
Laura Purdie Salas's BOOKSPEAK is a celebration of all things book. From how the letters look on the page to how a book feels being checked out of the library to elements like plot - even the index! - there is much to enjoy. My favorite lines are from a poem titled "Skywriting":

Line after line of inky black birds
Forming the flocks that shift into...
Published on October 4, 2012 by Robyn H. Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Book Sent to Me
They sent me the WRONG book and also there was no return receipt. What a hassle to try to solve!
Published 8 months ago by Teacher & Grandmother

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking at Books from All Angles - a Real Treat!, October 4, 2012

Line after line of inky black birds
Forming the flocks that shift into words. ...

BOOKSPEAK will give young readers new insights into a familiar object, and perhaps inspire them to come up with their own poems, too. Josée Bisaillon's illustrations are varied and lively.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a whimsically charming poetry book about books!, March 25, 2012
This review is from: BookSpeak!: Poems About Books (Hardcover)
This marvelously vibrant book swirls with poems about books. Have you ever read one about an index? Perhaps you've rushed down the aisles of a bookstore to see what kind of a party you can have in the book stacks. You'll read poems about a cliffhanger, magical characters, perfect books, greasy books, people who create the books, and even the book cover. The poems simply beg to be read aloud and discussed in story or circle time. One of my secretive favorites is the acrostic poem, "Top Secret."

Top Secret

Describe your desires and they become mine.
I'm a treasure box where feelings can shine.
All thinkers need pages where dreams can take flight.
Reveal all
Your secrets, one entry per night.

In an acrostic, the first letter of each line in this poem reveals that the top secret book is a D-I-A-R-Y. Children will not only learn about books, but also can learn about the different kinds of poetry. The poems are whimsical, charming, instructional, and just plain old fun. The delightful mixed media artwork swirls through the book as it meshes perfectly with each poem. This is a book about poems with poems about books ... how good can that get? This is one book that definitely should be added to your shelves!

5.0 out of 5 stars This definitely spoke to me!, October 17, 2012
This review is from: BookSpeak!: Poems About Books (Hardcover)
I had heard many good things about "BookSpeak!" and looked for it at my library. Unfortunately, it does not yet have a copy. In the end I decided to order the book from Amazon, and I am so glad that I did! I am happy to have my very own copy that I don't have to return by a certain date ~ now I can reread it whenever I want.

I am a huge fan of books and poetry, which makes "BookSpeak!" a perfect book for me! (My children love it, also.) By the time I finished reading through the book the first time, I was grinning from ear to ear. Author Laura Purdie Salas shares her own joy of books through her clever, delightful poems -- and her words are complemented nicely by Josee Bisaillon's whimsical illustrations.

I love this book so much, I am planning to purchase another copy to give to my son's first grade teacher this Christmas. I think it would make a great addition to any classroom!

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling All Bibliophiles!, October 16, 2012
Linda Ashman (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BookSpeak!: Poems About Books (Hardcover)
Laura Purdie Salas's clever and rhythmic poems are a wonderful tribute to books, words, and stories. And Josee Bisaillon's illustrations are gorgeous. A must for classrooms, libraries and budding bibliophiles -- be sure to mark it with a paper love tattoo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Salas does it again!, October 9, 2012
This review is from: BookSpeak!: Poems About Books (Hardcover)
What I love about Laura Purdie Salas' books is her complete sense of craft blending with the playfulness of her writing. This book continues that trend. Books are timeless and Salas is as well. Writing poems from a books point of view is fun as well as educational. SALAS POWER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, smart, and classroom-friendly, October 5, 2012
This review is from: BookSpeak!: Poems About Books (Hardcover)
The rhyme, rhythm, and voice of each poem told from the point of view of a book will not only inspire children to read THIS book, but will inspire them to read period. Salas provides clever poems about book components as well as many varied forms for promoting poetry writing. This is one of my favorite books of poetry for children published in 2011!

5.0 out of 5 stars For the love of books -wonderful collection of book-themed poems, May 20, 2012
This review is from: BookSpeak!: Poems About Books (Hardcover)
My daughter and I are ardent readers and when I saw this book at our local library, I knew we'd both enjoy it. My seven-year-old daughter has inherited my love of books and reading, and we had so much fun reading aloud these wonderful poems about books.

Each poem is accompanied by vivid, colorful illustrations that capture the magic of books - of the adventures one can take through a well-written story, the magical lands one can visit, and many more. One of our favorites is "A Character Pleads for His Life", where the poem captures a character's need to be liberated from the confines of a closed book. "Please open the cover and liberate me!" the desperate character pleads.

The poems capture all manner and content of books - written in such a unique way that they appeal to both children and adults. There's a poem dedicated to the "Index", one that creatively captures the value of keeping a diary, bookplates, covers, and many more! This is a delightful collection, beautifully-illustrated to capture the essence of books and one which will in turn charm young and old bibliophiles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully creative & clever!, November 1, 2013
This review is from: BookSpeak!: Poems About Books (Hardcover)
One of the most delightful & creative books I've seen! I especially enjoyed the poems written from a clever "point of view" and the artful play with words in both poetry & illustrations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in the classroom, May 9, 2013
This review is from: BookSpeak!: Poems About Books (Hardcover)
This is a must have book when teaching poetry. It will be a treasure that I use every year! My 4th grade class enjoyed the variety, yet the connected theme fit right into our learning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and Helpful poems, April 29, 2013
This review is from: BookSpeak!: Poems About Books (Hardcover)
This book is great for reinforcing lessons about parts of books and getting to teach part of poems. I love when I am able to get as much into a lesson as possible.

BookSpeak!: Poems About Books
BookSpeak!: Poems About Books by Laura Purdie Salas (Hardcover - October 25, 2011)
$16.99 $12.75