Books for a 7-yr-old girl who needs an esteem boost?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2007 11:30:14 PM PST
My niece is a very smart girl who has had issues with her self-esteem for some time. I want her to read non-traditional stories with realistic characters that rely on their smarts and wit. I'm not looking for a girl meets boy type thing. I'm already ordering the Paperbag Princess, any other suggestions, perhaps more advanced than that one?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2009 7:35:52 AM PDT
My Uncle gave me a copy of Jane and the Dragon, which I still love to this day - and I'm 26 now.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 8:55:15 AM PDT
Brave Irene by William Steig

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 7:48:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2011 7:49:09 PM PDT
Becky says:
Clementine is one of my favorites... and if fantasy is an option, The Tale of Despereaux is a classic (much, much better than the movie!). Both books are ultimately about celebrating what makes us unique, rather than giving in to the pressure to fit in.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 8:38:01 PM PDT
Empty=P says:
Fanny's Dream by Caralyn Buehner

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 5:23:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 5:26:24 PM PST
Teleri says:
I'm a feminist & I rather like most of the books listed here. BUT the original fairy tales you are dissing started off as tales of princesses ousted by an ursurping QUEEN. Power struggles between 2 women w/the prince as REWARD. They come from celtic socities which were matrilineal - the only way for even a prince to rule was to marry the crown princess who would be the Queen. At least The Brave did that right
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Paperbag Princess (Story Corner)
The Paperbag Princess (Story Corner) by Robert Munsch (Paperback - June 18, 1999)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (597)