Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 1 forum

Books for an 8 yrs. old, advanced reader!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2010 9:44:03 AM PDT
H R says:
Hi,
I'm looking for great books for my 8 yrs. old daughter, who is an advanced reader and loves to read all the time. Any suggestions would be greatly appericiated. She has read and re-read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid Sires, The magic tree House Series, Jim, The boy, the charlotte's Web, Holes and many more!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010 7:35:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2010 7:36:30 PM PDT
MMA says:
Your question actually helped me. My seven year old is very similar to your daughter. He's read the same books, excepting Charlotte's Web and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I wasn't sure if the Wimpy Kid books would be o.k. for him since they're set in a middle school. Now, I know they'll be o.k.

I don't know if Harry Potter would hold your daughter's interest, but my son tore through them. We're stopping after Book 4 though because the situations get a bit more teenage-ish (e.g. dating). That might not be something that bothers a girl though.

Do you have any more suggestions for books?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010 5:48:00 PM PDT
Tina Wells says:
Mackenzie Blue Is a great book series for a girl her age. I hope she likes it!

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 10:11:11 PM PDT
book lover says:
Oh, I love questions like this. There are so many great books out there!

Have you tried:
Little House on the Prarie
Lightening Thief Series
Sisters Grimm Series

Some of our favorite authors include Beverly Cleary (Ramona, Ralph S. Mouse) and Astrid Lundgreen (Pippi Longstockings, Ronia, the Robber's Daughter). Bruce Coville has written a lot of fun books that are good for this age.

Does she like Science fiction? There's a great series called the Tripods, by John Christopher. The first book is called the White Mountains.

She also might like the Doll People by Ann Martin.

Anyway, there are lots of great choices out there. I hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 12:40:09 PM PST
Try Big Nate, NERDS, or the Sweet Farts Series! All great fun and should be interesting to any Diary of a WImpy Kid fan.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 1:37:00 PM PDT
Gayle says:
Try Raymond and Graham.

Posted on May 7, 2011 8:46:36 AM PDT
Kitty says:
If you like animal action and adventures try these: Erin Hunter Warrior -series (cats) and Erin Hunter: Seeker -series (bears), and Animellis Island -series (other animals).

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 8:29:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2011 8:33:19 PM PDT
Please buy The Chronicles of Narnia, boxed set of 7 books - wonderful and much more satisfying than many modern simple stories. I'm currently on the last book with my 7 and 5 yr olds (their reading level isn't high enough to read it on their own) and they LOVE it more than anything.

Before this, we read the whole Little House on the Prairie series which they devoured like crazy. I very highly recommend the older books like that!

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 12:06:03 PM PDT
Cady's Mommy says:
Goddess Girls is a fun series that my 8 yr old loves. She also enjoys the Warriors and all of those animal series. Nancy drew and anything like Boxcar Children. I would stay away from the Diary of a wimpy kid unless you want your kid reading not-so-nice stuff.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jul 5, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney (Paperback - 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,515)