5.0 out of 5 stars Design problem fixed and great customer service!!!!
Great idea for a product but working in the plastics industry I can tell you that this is horrible design engineering and plastic construction.

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!!
After sending in a complaint to Boon, I received a call minutes later from their customer service department and a newly designed cap will be sent immediately.
Published on June 5, 2009 by Edward Juline

3.0 out of 5 stars Could use some improvements
Published on January 19, 2008 by Wild Man's Mommy

3.0 out of 5 stars Could use some improvements, January 19, 2008
I generally use ziploc baggies for snacks but decided it was time to find an alternative that wouldn't result in the snacks being turned to crumbs. The concept of this snack ball is great. However, I had a few problems with it. I thought it was a bit on the small side. I should have paid more attention to the dimensions. My 2 1/2 year old son can barely get his hand in the hole on the top to retrieve his snacks. It would be nice if there were 2 or 3 different sizes offered. This would definitly not be a good snack holder for older toddlers or preschoolers unless they have very small hands! He also had some trouble sliding the lid open himself. I would love to be able to hand it to him and allow him to open and close it on his own. Within 15 minutes of giving it to him, the orange lid popped off while he was trying to slide it open. It did pop back in quite easily but it was a bit frustrating. The lid also popped of when he dropped it. It would also be nice if the container had a small flat area on the bottom so it would sit flat. My son enjoys filling his own snack containers so it would be nice if the container could be placed on the counter for him to fill. There are also times when he sits it down without closing the lid. Since it rolls around this sometimes results in spilled snacks. My son did seem to like this product so that was a plus. Good concept but could use a few modifications.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within moments of giving it to my child., May 2, 2008
This is cool looking and I wanted to like it, but my 11-month-old daughter ripped the cap off of it almost immediately after I gave it to her for the first time. The plastic attachment is very small and not very durable, Boon would do better to use a metal attachment of some sort. Now the container part sits in her toy bin gathering dust....

5.0 out of 5 stars Design problem fixed and great customer service!!!!, June 5, 2009

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for snacks, not for hands, February 24, 2008
Statia M. (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
We bought this as an alternative to carrying snacks around in bisphenol and phthalate laden plastic containers. All of Boon's eating/drinking products are BPA and phthalate free, which is a must in our house.

This is a great little product to carry around small snacks like cheerios or crackers in. We have it with us at all times.

However, what I don't like:

The lid sometimes slides open in our diaper bag, which makes crumbs. The other drawback is the small opening. My 1 year old has a hard time fitting his hand in to grab a snack, so I'm guessing the problem will only get worse as he gets older. I would prefer he assert his independence and work on getting his own snacks. I don't mind handing him snacks, but at this age, they're all about doing it themselves, and I'd like to encourage that. I can't really do that with this snack ball.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly designed.... waste of money., July 2, 2011
This snack container is so poorly designed that we only used it once and it's remained in the cabinet ever since. The fact that it is round makes it easy for little hands, but because it's not weighted, it rolls all over the place, like the floor of the car or underneath furniture. This is particularly problematic when you are in a store and it falls out of the stroller.... I have chased this thing all over creation. The lid is also terribly designed and only opens partially (pretty much as the picture shows), therefore bigger hands trying to reach into it end up snapping off the lid completely. The least problematic issue is that it holds virtually a handful of cheerios... if you have children like mine who eat, spill, and share in equal portions, you'll end up carrying a ziploc bag to refill. In the end, it was a total waste of money and I'm still sticking with the munchkin snack traps, using a sour cream lid to make them easier for travel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but faulty design, July 2, 2008
I bought the Snack ball thinking it was a cool, stylish product. It worked great for about a month, then I handed it to my daughter (just turned 10 months) and she dropped it on the floor. The little orange hatch fell off and the plastic thing that holds it together broke. Now it's useless since it won't close and its unfixable.

I used to recommend this product but I never will again. The design is faulty and I would prevent anyone from buying this. A ziploc bag or resealable tupperware box might not be as stylish but it won't break in the most common of situations. I'm very disappointed in this product especially because of the cost. Yuu'd expect some quality for more than 2x the price of a tupperware box.

In response to the BPA free/ phthalate hysteria... yes it's great that this product is free of those hard to spell correctly chemicals but here's a handy link as alternatives to the snack ball which I don't recommend buying simply due to its cost vs usefulness/design. Cost is too high for only being able to use a few times just to look cool.

Check out these alternatives from the blog by greenerpenny (dot) blogspot (dot) com looking up "least-toxic-totables"

Most of which you can find in your regular old, local grocery store and not have to suffer the Whole Foods crowd.

2.0 out of 5 stars cool design, but..., November 25, 2009
Like all Boon products, this little snack ball looks cool. Our two-year old loves to play with it, but gets frustrated when she can't open it. When she does open it, its not by swiveling the orange top around according to design, but by ripping it off. Then the snacks spill out - victory for baby, frustrating for parents. We spent a lot of time trying to teach her to swivel the top, and picking up snacks, and then just gave up. We've gone back to ziplock bags.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, not so great for containing food, February 2, 2009
K-Lo (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
After using the Snack Trap for kids 1 and 2 and loved it, kid 3 ripped the lid right off and dumps the snack out! I bought the Boon Snack Ball since the lid slides off, and the ball screws together. Thus far my destructor has not taken the orange lid off, but has found how well it rolls. If we are out shopping and the ball "drops", off it rolls down the aisle. For me and kid three, if this were a bit bigger and had a flat bottom it would be a winner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but too many design flaws that make it impractical, June 29, 2010
The number one problem is the round shape. While it looks cool, it has no flat part at all to it so if you set it down anywhere, it rolls. Set it on a table and it rolls and falls on the floor. That makes it really impractical and you're out and about. Second, the flip lid doesn't always stay closed, so if it's rolling around in your bag, it opens somewhat easy and spills items. Third, I think its use is mainly limited to transporting/storing the snack, not really to eat out of. The opening is big enough to pour but little hands can't really get in to pick things out. Overall, waste of money.

2.0 out of 5 stars snack ball, January 23, 2009
I love the concept of this. But the actual snackball itself leaves a lot to be desired. My 16 month old ripped the lid off. I managed to reattach it but it doesn't stay closed tight. Of course it being a ball all he wants to do is yell "ball" and throw it. I had ordered it a few months before we started using it, I should have figured he would make it into a toy. The storage area is pretty small too.